XBOX or the PS2

Deadzone

I recently got two hundred dollars in Bestbuy gift certificates which is enough to buy one system. In terms of power, I know the Xbox is suppose to be superior, but the PS2 has more games. In the end, all I care about are the games I like, most of which run on both systems. However, I then discovered there were a couple that only one system had and the other didn't. For example:

XBOX

Ninja Gaiden,

Knights of the Old Republic

PS2

Resident Evil Outbreak.

Final Fantasy XI

EDIT:

It sounds like most people like the Xbox for games like Halo and Panzer Dragoon. I'm not too into those. However, I want to get Hitman 2, Max Payne, and Mafia which are games that both systems support, but I heard the Xbox supports better. I also like sports games such as NHL Hitz, Espn football, and such. I guess my priorities come down to two types:

Sports games (NHL Hitz, ESPN Football, NBA Street)

Present day Cinematic Adventure games (ie GTA Vice city, Max Payne, Mafia, Silent Hill...)

Both systems support most of these, but it's certain titles like Knights of the Old Republic and Resident Evil Outbreak that leave me undecided. Of course, now people are telling me that those games are actually not as good as they have been hyped up to be.

So I guess my new question is:

WHICH GAMES WOULD YOU GUYS SAY ARE THE DEFINING GAMES OF EACH SYSTEM THAT CAN ONLY BE PLAYED ON THAT PARTICULAR SYSTEM? THANKS.

Edited by Deadzone

Ah! The age old question. What a tricky question.....

get the system that has the games that interest you. And on another note.... FFXI is going to cost you way more then 200 dollars. And Resident Evil Outbreak is not that hot. Those games should not be the reason why you should get the PS2.

On the same note.... KoToR is not that hot either.... but Ninja Gaiden is alot of fun. While the system is pretty graphics intensive... only the sports games, FPSs and the online support really stand out.... every other genre sort of lacks in that system.

To put it bluntly.... in this generation, owning only 1 system is a pretty damn hard kick in the balls.

Edited by Abombz!!

Frankly, I will always prefer the PS2 over the Xbox... There's alot more games I'm interested in on PS2 than there is on Xbox.

But my general feeling is such:

Driving, RPGs, fighters = PS2 all the way

FPSs = Xbox

And that's pretty much how it breaks down for me.

Vostok 7

I recently got two hundred dollars in Bestbuy gift certificates which is enough to buy one system. In terms of power, I know the Xbox is suppose to be superior, but the PS2 has more games. In the end, all I care about are the games I like, most of which run on both systems. However, I then discovered there were a couple that only one system had and the other didn't. For example:

XBOX

Ninja Gaiden,

Knights of the Old Republic

PS2

Resident Evil Outbreak.

Final Fantasy XI

At the moment, I am leaning towards the Xbox just because it is suppose to play some of the more graphic intensive games better. However, are there any great games that are specific to one system or the other that I may have left out? To me, it's all about the games and I just don't want to buy a system and find that one of the best games ever made wasn't supported by my gaming platform. I've sort of been out of video games for awhile which is why I am ignorant. Help would be appreciated.

Bow down to the might of Billy G. and get the X Box.

Two really good reasons why:

1- Halo

2- Halo 2 (coming later rather than sooner :( )

To put it bluntly.... in this generation, owning only 1 system is a pretty damn hard kick in the balls.

How true.

While the XBOX is the better system, Sony holds all the licenses. The Xbox does have a few gems like Halo, Panzer Dragoon and DOA Unlimited. Then on the other hand, you have all the capcom and square games on PS2. Maybe save up enough cash to get both :/

You could proabably live without a gamecube though :)

My PS2 games outnumber my Xbox like 10 to 1. But JSRF alone is worth getting an XBox for. And don't forget Panzer Dragoon. :)

JSRF?!??!?! ROFL!!!!!!!!

I have it, and I haven't even dared playing it yet! LOL!

I'm like you David, I have like 50 PS2 games and only a handful of Xbox games, with no intention of that ever really changing. PS2 just has more interesting games IMO.

Vostok 7

Depends on what you want to play. I have a PS2 and am still debating getting an XBOX.

For FPS games, I usually use the computer. (it's OLD too, but it still plays).

I'm debating getting FFXI for the PS2 because I would have to buy the HD for it and a Network adapter and a wireless router for the adapter, or I could just buy FFXI for the PC and be done.

But I enjoy SOCOM II on the PS2.

The choice was real easy for me. The X-Box doesn't have a Macross game (and no, RT Battle Cry doesn't count).

Pretty much the only types of games I play are flying games, so of course I bought a PS2 for the Macross game and also for Ace Combat 4.

Graham

Truth be told, all 3 Systems are worth owning. PS2 has the incredible library of hits , XBox has some treasures, and the Cube even has quite a few that should be owned by all.

I prefer my PS2 over the rest, probably for the games I like. Metal Gear Solid Series (Though gotta get Twin Snakes on Cube), Zone Of The Enders Series, Ace Combat Series, Virtua Fighter, SOCOM 1 & II online no less, RPG's galore...PS2 has all the big name franchises. Oh yeah, and there's this pretty cool Macross game...not a system seller but, cool nonetheless, you know if you're like, maybe a Macross fan. :)

But, a Cube is $99. Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil, Rogue Squadron, Metroid Prime, Zelda, Soul Calibur II (Link rules over the other lame Heihachi and Spawn characters), Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, and the best version of Sonic Heroes are all great reasons to get one too.

XBox: Halo. Halo 2. Panzer Dragoon. Pretty good Star Wars games. My least fave system but, still a lot to offer.

Edited by Gaijin

My PS2 games outnumber my Xbox like 10 to 1.  But JSRF alone is worth getting an XBox for.  And don't forget Panzer Dragoon.  :)

JSRF?!??!?! ROFL!!!!!!!!

I have it, and I haven't even dared playing it yet! LOL!

I'm like you David, I have like 50 PS2 games and only a handful of Xbox games, with no intention of that ever really changing. PS2 just has more interesting games IMO.

Vostok 7

This maybe an ignorant comment, but what does FPS, JSRF, and ROFL stand for?

No kiddin. I own a PS2, Gamecube, GBA SP and if the Xbox drops in price I might buy one of those. At least the Gamecube was only 20.00 (It was on sale for 80.00 at Walmart's thanksgiving sale and it came the Zelda collectors disc. Sold that on ebay for 60.00 B)) ) And I still have a Dreamcast. Have to finish Shenmue 2 one of these days...PS2 is still my favorite.

Buy the system that has the most games that appeal to you. PS2 has alot of games but alot crap games mixed throughout. X-box and the Gamecube have their gems plus better graphics(if thats your deal).

Also there are so many games coming the prices are dropping fast.

you have all the capcom and square games on PS2

Well... he could defenetly live without the square games... since they have yet to release anything truly outstanding this generation (Unlimited Saga was bad enough to kill a man. FFX-2 was a joke). And capcom games? Meh. I think you might have mixed up Konami and Capcom. :huh:

Other then Viewtiful Joe, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and the first Devil May Cry (maybe RE0 and the remake), Capcom has put out alot of crap. Chaos Legion, Devil May Cry 2, Rockman X7, PN03 and the full priced RE ports anyone?

Two really good reasons why:

1- Halo

Thats the most overhyped game of all time. Only base your purchase of an Xbox on Halo... if you have 4 ppl, 24/7 to play with. The single player campaign is a joke. <_<

Edited by Abombz!!

I'd agree with Abombz in most ways, but not on the Final Fantasy factor. I thought FF X and FF X-2 were worth the cash I spent on them...

I bought an X-Box largely for the DOA, JSRF, and SW stuff... I own a PS2 for the RPG factor, as well as the backwards compatibility....

Have to agree about the GC and SC II, though....

EDIT:

It sounds like most people like the Xbox for games like Halo and Panzer Dragoon. I'm not too into those. However, I want to get Hitman 2, Max Payne, and Mafia which are games that both systems support, but I heard the Xbox supports better. I also like sports games such as NHL Hitz, Espn football, and such. I guess my priorities come down to two types:

Sports games (NHL Hitz, ESPN Football, NBA Street)

Present day Cinematic Adventure games (ie GTA Vice city, Max Payne, Mafia, Silent Hill...)

Both systems support most of these, but it's certain titles like Knights of the Old Republic and Resident Evil Outbreak that leave me undecided. Of course, now people are telling me that those games are actually not as good as they have been hyped up to be.

So I guess my new question is:

Missed this edit..... I guess what you really want is a PS2. Those games you just mentioned are typical casual gamer genre..... and the PS2 seems like it will really fill you up in that department.... unless you enjoy online play.

If online play is really a factor in this equation.... get an Xbox... if not... get a PS2.

GTA San Andreas is PS2 exclusive for now.... so that might help you decide which game to get.

I want to get Hitman 2, Max Payne, and Mafia which are games that both systems support, but I heard the Xbox supports better

Trust me... neither of them support those games well. If you want to play Max Payne or Hitman.... get yourself a decent PC to run them. Theres no control scheme that will be able to replace the mouse and keyboard set up.... ever.

On the KoToR thing... the game is fun and all.... but the Xbox is plagued with fun sucking bugs. They can go from simple slowdowns to system crashes. The PC version fixes most of those... but if you were basing your purchase of the Xbox on this particular game... I assume you don't own a PC good enough to run the game.

On RE Outbreak.... its just another RE title. I sampled the japanese version extensively enough to say that the novelty of playing with other ppl wears thin pretty fast. The only feature that really caught my eye was being able to play a zombie, and hunt down your ex team mates. Other then that.... its yet another RE title with more ppl. Nothing new.

WHICH GAMES WOULD YOU GUYS SAY ARE THE DEFINING GAMES OF EACH SYSTEM THAT CAN ONLY BE PLAYED ON THAT PARTICULAR SYSTEM?

THANKS.

IN my opinion.....

PS2: Disgaea, Ace Combat 4, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, R-Type Final (sorry, am a sucker for R-Type), the first Devil May Cry, the Winning Eleven series and the Onimusha series.

Xbox: Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden, Otogi and Otogi 2

There are several other games.... but they are multi console games.... so I only mentioned exclusives.

Wow, I figured I'd be the only R-Type fan here. Someday I'll get past level 5. Mind-warping as it is... (RX-11's rock, they're the only thing getting me to the boss)

lol.... I'm in the process of opening up all the ships.... 59 down and counting. :)

I really liked how they added some back ground data on all ships. And I can't help to think of the Dendobrium... every time I look at a D series R-9.... I guess its the long barrel cannon. :p

get a subscription to a gaming mag that covers all consoles, like electronic gamer or game pro.

see whats out there for a few months and decide for yourself

Or just find some place online with decent previews/reviews and check the list of games for both consoles. He won't have to pay for it or wait a few months. :)

get a subscription to a gaming mag that covers all consoles, like electronic gamer or game pro.

Or just find some place online with decent previews/reviews and check the list of games for both consoles. He won't have to pay for it or wait a few months. :)

jesus abombz! how are we going to boost the economy with that kind of attitude?? :p

Opening ships up as in you've already beat it and that's all you have left to do? Dang, I gotta start playing more after I beat Ninja Gaiden. :)

Can't remember how many I have. I especially like the R9-DH series, as it has my initials. :) (Though the further I get, the worse they seem to be--the wide beam just isn't strong enough for later-level lackeys).

::edit:: I buy mags pretty much only for playable demos. GamePro sucks BTW, has so for over a decade. :) Sites I like: Gamespy, Gamespot, Penny-Arcade, and mostly what I hear from people I know have good taste in games. (Namely, the VG store I shop at (they're independent, not a chain) and my brother).

Edited by David Hingtgen

Well, I plan to get one with in the next week which is why I came here. I wanted to draw upon the experiences of other MWer's. Decisions, decisions...

I say get a PS2, the variety of games for it is so much better and don't forget all the PS1 games you can play on it. Most of the good games out there are for all the systems. XBox exclusives are far and few between, the good ones being Ninja Gaiden, Crimson Skies, Halo/Halo2 and Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball (jk).

I've owned 'em all... PS2, Gamecube and X-Box. Systems are only as good as the games they sport so it would most likely benefit you to do some looking and see if the games you want to play trend toward one system or another. I discovered that a lot of the neat games that were "unique" to a certain console... cough cough X-Box cough cough... wound up getting ported to the PC like KoToR and Halo. PS2 seems to get everything for it and Gamecube gets the shaft most of the time eccept for those rare GC only games like the new Resident Evils and Twin Snakes that almost beg for you to buy it... then again the GC is a franklin whereas the other two are a ben-and-a-half so you can always scrimp to get a GC if the winds move you.

I'd say buy a PS2 first, then buy a GC and finally upgrade your computer and play the X-Box to PC port of Halo 2 and all their other "only on X-Box" games a year or so after they originally come out on the console.

I don't play many games anymore, and what I do are for the PC. Other than that I have a Gamecube for Nintendo's in house games (Metroid, Zelda, etc.)

The X-box never took my interest, though the PS2 has tempted me on occasion. I haven't gotten it because I know it's going to gather dust for long stretches anyway.

I have a Game Cube and A Disk Read Error... I mean PS2.

The PS2 is my favorite. Nothing on I've seen on X-box makes me want to buy a thrid system. :ph34r:

Edited by NSJ23

WHICH GAMES WOULD YOU GUYS SAY ARE THE DEFINING GAMES OF EACH SYSTEM THAT CAN ONLY BE PLAYED ON THAT PARTICULAR SYSTEM? THANKS.

FYI Konami is kind of wishy-washy with Xbox support on their Silent Hill games. SH2 got an Xbox release with bonus features (which was ported back to the PS2 as a Greatest Hits release) but SH3 was a no-show on the Xbox even though they did port it to the PC like SH2 was. With a PS2 you have backwards compatibility so you have access to the PS1 games, including the original Silent Hill and the Resident Evil series.

On the other hand, Xbox has a lot of homebrew stuff, including emulators for old consoles if that's your thing.

You might also want to consider the fact that the Xbox controller is not terribly ergonomic. Go check out a store demo and get a feel for it.

I'd check out gamespot.com, I like their reviews and they now have an advance search engine function. You can sort on genre, platform and my favorite the search by rating. I can search by all PC or Xbox games that have only been rated 9+ or 8+.

BTW I went with XBOX because of the superior graphics. I can't believe no one brought up the game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. One of the most fun games I've ever played (and I've been playing a long time, can you say C64?).