Q-Rau price

Jolly Rogers

I think the Q-Rau's price is...  

149 members have voted

1. 1. I think the Q-Rau's price is...

• Very cheap considering what you get
    • About right
    • Rather expensive for a non-transforming toy compared to the VF-1s

Can someone explain why its so costly. Im gonna get one but I just need to know why. What is the retail price in Japan converted to USD?

12,800 yen is 114.25 US according to the listing on HLJ.

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?YMT00030

It is too expensive for what it is but I'm buying it anyway since I like the Q-rau in DYRL colors alot. Macross toys have always been expensive though(not saying its right). It was no secret that the Q-rau would be around 120.00. Its been known for months

Edited by dejr8bud

How can you begin to compare Spiderman; which has a bigger fan base; which in turn a bigger toy production run; which gets cheaper by the dozen when more is being produced, to a small % fan base such as Macross.

(I know this point has been made but I'm going to have a stab at it.)

It's a valid comparison. It's quite sensible to decide whether to buy something based not on whether you think the price is "fair", but whether the item offers value compared to other stuff you could spend your money on.

In my opinion, the Q-Rau price is quite likely fair--since (as you note) the production run is relatively small and Yamato has to recoup the cost of design and tooling, as well as have a reasonable markup to justify the investment. (If making a product yields a smaller return than simply investing in stocks & bonds, why bother?)

The Q-Rau price is also a lot higher than "equivalent" products from other toy lines. "Equivalent" means different things to different people, depending on what sorts of stuff you like. But basically, yes, it's expensive, too expensive for many people to justify spending their money on.

Is there a problem with this? Are those people wrong to pass on the Q-Rau? No.

Consider the cost of resin kits. Considering the time and effort that goes into making the original molds and the limited number of castings that can be made before the molds deteriorate--as well as the limited market for the sorts of esoteric items typically done in resin--the prices are reasonable. Does that mean they're affordable compared to Spawn.com stuff ? Of course not!

The Q-Rau situation is a less extreme version of the same scenario. Yet people keep getting offended when someone explains that the Q-Rau is priced reasonably, because they somehow think a reasonable price is necessarily affordable. And other people keep getting offended when someone says the Q-Rau costs more than they're willing to spend, because they somehow think that the person is claiming Yamato is engaged in price gouging. Both groups are wrong.

As for me, I voted "about right" but I also think the Q-Rau is rather expensive compared to just about anything else I can spend my money on. Still, because I like Macross, I'm going to get one--I'm just waiting to find out if it's going to come out in TV green.

Better get yours on EBAY, ill get mine in a couple of months , 1st I have to collect the $ 79.00 aprox is based on ebay....

Edited by nench

well, you have to understand, that the price is only that of the importers, not of the actual japanese intended market. as i have said in the past, and will continue to say as long as people ask.

that said, if you want other enemy mecha, graham has already said this was a test for yamato to see if they should bother continuing on with the enemy stuff. i for one, will buy one, in hopes that they continue on the things i will enjoy, like say, the regult and glaug, in my opinion, they should have gone off of the series, but i can fully understand why the rau was the first, as they are going off dyrl, in which the rau plays a pivitol (sp) role.

PLEASE never do that god awful male power armor, i will gouge my own eyes out. that sucks, no matter what you like, series or movie.

Definately seems overpriced...

I think an MSRP between 7800 and 9800 yen would have been more reasonable... but I do understand it's production volume is probably more limited than any trim of VF-1 (except maybe the Low-Viz).

I may or may not get one... I'm definately gonna wait a bit... might regret it (if it proves rare enough that prices start climbing) but we'll see...

PLEASE never do that god awful male power armor, i will gouge my own eyes out. that sucks, no matter what you like, series or movie.

me wants DYRL Nousjadeul-Ger!

And eyeball soup with some tabasco sauce... :D

I vote a little pricey, but worth it in this case.

Tam's billed me for mine already!!! 133.14 shipped total. Billed the Minmei statue too.

Sweet.

official price at Hong Kong here is around $75 USD ($620 HKD)

add a $30.5 shipping fee to US still $105.5 USD($842.9 HKD)

the official price is 12800YEN,

convert the rate to HKD is $889.6

but I get it at $599~!

= 8618 YEN

if the price is $620HKD ,

= 8921 YEN

the highest price at HK I seen is $800HKD (JUST ONE SHOP)

=11511 YEN

but most of them are selling at $680HKD

=9784 YEN

very close to 9800 YEN :rolleyes:

----is that a clue for something?

so,anyone know why I said this Q-RAU is not worth selling 12800 YEN now?

as I know, this Q-RAU originally is design for a 9800 YEN class product,

even it can selling at a lower price -- 7800 YEN.......$542 HKD/ $67.8 USD

the official markup price 12800 YEN just a crazy number. :(

official price at Hong Kong here is around $75 USD ($620 HKD)

add a $30.5 shipping fee to US still $105.5 USD($842.9 HKD)

the official price is 12800YEN,

convert the rate to HKD is $889.6

but I get it at $599~!

= 8618 YEN

if the price is $620HKD ,

= 8921 YEN

the highest price at HK I seen is $800HKD (JUST ONE SHOP)

=11511 YEN

but most of them are selling at $680HKD

=9784 YEN

very close to 9800 YEN :rolleyes:

----is that a clue for something?

so,anyone know why I said this Q-RAU is not worth selling 12800 YEN now?

as I know, this Q-RAU originally is design for a 9800 YEN class product,

even it can selling at a lower price -- 7800 YEN.......$542 HKD/ $67.8 USD

the official markup price 12800 YEN just a crazy number. :(

agree completely. I know how everyone just LOVES typing long essays about how Yamato is a small company, and how Macross is a niche market, and how they surely only produced a small amount of Q's in the initial run... but taking all this into account (and looking at the other 1:60 that, while smaller, would probably cost a similar amount to produce) a FAIR price for the Q-rau would be $80 by the time it got to my local anime shoppe. This price is 500% of that of a comparable toy... and 150% of a comparabe Yamato Macross toy. It is obvious that after the success of the 1:48, Yamato is seeing if they can get us to pay $100+ based on the size of the toy... and obviously they can. the next step (I recon) would be to change their minds about the 2 seater 1:48's and make them... but taking into account that they would be slightly bigger than the Q-Rau and that they have a transformation scheme and that there are some die-cast matal parts, and that they would have to sculpt some new parts... it would HAVE to cost $300+. Then some people would claim price gouging was occuring, and others would chastise them, saying that all Yammies are expensive and citing the aforementioned reasons NOT TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THAT THERE IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE EXPENSIVE PRICES OF PRE-QRAU YAMMIES AND THE UNREASONABLE PRICES OF ALL MACROSS RELATED MECHA FROM THE QRAU ON!

Yes, yamato's macross toys have to be expensive... but there a varying levels of expense $80 IS EXPENSIVE... but fair. $150 for THIS toy IS price gouging.

Mine should be in the mail soon.. so I'll vote AFTER I get it. But my thoughts are that it's slightly overpriced but I still counted down the days until it was on sale. :rolleyes:

Ok, I just got mine this morning (Thanks Tam!!).

In my opinion, this toy should not cost more than 30 bucks. Its hollow, lightweight, and I dunno. I like it, but for 100 bucks? Hell no!!

Yamato has not dissappointed me....till now. I mean, the Masterpiece Optimus Prime does a crap load more stuff, and has a crap load of more features, and STILL COSTS LESS!!!

Rediculous.

well i just talked to tamim and mine is one the way! :)

i'm on the east coast so i figure its going to be another week or so and i'll be sure to post my reactions once i have the toy in hand.

i voted "about right" cause its the only one in existence. B))

I know how everyone just LOVES typing long essays about how Yamato is a small company, and how Macross is a niche market, and how they  lookingsurely only produced a small amount of Q's in the initial run... but taking all this into account (and at the other 1:60 that, while smaller, would probably cost a similar amount to produce) a FAIR price for the Q-rau would be $80 by the time it got to my local anime shoppe.  This price is 500% of that of a comparable toy... and 150% of a comparabe Yamato Macross toy.  It is obvious that after the success of the 1:48, Yamato is seeing if they can get us to pay $100+ based on the size of the toy... and obviously they can. the next step (I recon) would be to change their minds about the 2 seater 1:48's and make them... but taking into account that they would be slightly bigger than the Q-Rau and that they have a transformation scheme and that there are some die-cast matal parts, and that they would have to sculpt some new parts... it would HAVE to cost $300+. Then some people would claim price gouging was occuring, and others would chastise them, saying that all Yammies are expensive and citing the aforementioned reasons NOT TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THAT THERE IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE EXPENSIVE PRICES OF PRE-QRAU YAMMIES AND THE UNREASONABLE PRICES OF ALL MACROSS RELATED MECHA FROM THE QRAU ON!

Yes, yamato's macross toys have to be expensive... but there a varying levels of expense $80 IS EXPENSIVE... but fair. $150 for THIS toy IS price gouging.

You just quoted someone saying that this toy can be had for $105 to support your argument. At least be consistent with your facts.

Also, we really don't know the details of manufacturing and marketing.

and at the other 1:60 that, while smaller, would probably cost a similar amount to produce)

Are you including the cost of design and tooling in that? Consider that based on market research (if any), Yamato probably doesn't expect to sell as many Q-Rau (all variants) as Valks (all variants). Which means the startup costs have to be amortized over a smaller number of units.

Edited by ewilen

I personally am dissapointed at the low price of the q-Rau. It should have been three times as much.

What sucks is that this was the perfect chance to see whether or not Millia has green hair all over and were given a paperweight instead. Naked Millia is canon! Its in the Gold Book!!!

I personally am dissapointed at the low price of the q-Rau.  It should have been three times as much.

What sucks is that this was the perfect chance to see whether or not Millia has green hair all over and were given a paperweight instead. Naked Millia is canon! Its in the Gold Book!!!

The Meltohlauedy are not vain, so no hair coloring would have gone on, therefore I would have to guess that the carpet would match the curtains.

The Meltohlauedy are not vain, so no hair coloring would have gone on, therefore I would have to guess that the carpet would match the curtains.

Y'know, Millia is hot and all, but I would still have a certain amount of reservation about spending time at the Y so to speak :rolleyes: .

The statements I made where not in defense to whatever side you think I have taken, it was a question regarding a comparison between two differnt products IMO. I don't know how you would justify the two being the same?

No offense intended. They aren't the same, but they can be compared from the buyer's perspective. The problem that keeps coming up is (partly) from people trying to rebut the buyer's perspective by offering the manufacturer's perspective, and vice-versa.

OK, here's my reasoning... am I disappointed by the toy?

Only by the Miria figure. But they never promised an articulated action figure, you'd just figure that at 1/60scale they can give us an poseable pilot.

Is it cheap? No. But the quality is still high. No cheap plasic and no parts that fall off or doesn't fit.

Compared to the 1/48... it does the exact same thing for me in my life, which is absolutely nothing. It sits there and looks pretty. I pick it up once and while and look at it closer. It's a toy that was worth having at the price I was willing to spend. I guess that makes me the target customer. I can't wait to see one in Blue.

Sure I find the Optimus Prime as a better bargain, but I'm not a Transformers fan. If I had to pick I'd probably end up getting the Q-Rau instead of Prime.

I personally am dissapointed at the low price of the q-Rau. It should have been three times as much.

Nah, it should have been four times as much... :mellow:

Four times as much, plus a Mao-jab. :lol:

Based upon the various arguments, the Q-rau sounds adequately priced to me. A bit on the expensive side, I agree. But, hell I like the sculpt, I like the machine, and I'm willing to dish out my money for it.

For me its an expensive toy; but being a loyal fan, I will buy just one Q-Rau (assuming there will be a green one). The price would be right if the legs were diecast and the Millia figure poseable.

Yamato needs some competition to lower the price, perhaps a US$20 bootleg Q-Rau :)

You just quoted someone saying that this toy can be had for $105 to support your argument. At least be consistent with your facts.

Also, we really don't know the details of manufacturing and marketing.

and at the other 1:60 that, while smaller, would probably cost a similar amount to produce)

Are you including the cost of design and tooling in that? Consider that based on market research (if any), Yamato probably doesn't expect to sell as many Q-Rau (all variants) as Valks (all variants). Which means the startup costs have to be amortized over a smaller number of units.

Last time I checked, $105 was more than $100.

Hayao posted that he saw that the Q-Rau was slated to cost a similar price to the 1:60 VF-1

considering that the Vf-1's had Die-cast metal with all the cost-increasing manufacturing problems that die-cast metal introduces, and that the VF-1 has a transformation scheme with all the design and development issues that also raise the price there... and considering that the VF-1 was released into a completely untested market (Yamato's first forray into Macross toys surely had to be MUCH scarier than their twentieth... ), the VF-1 surely had to cost at least as much to produce as the q-rau. The cost of the 1:60 VF-1 is justified. A similar price for the Q-rau would also have been justified, and according to Hayao's post, it looks like me getting a Q-rau for $80 was the ORIGINAL plan... the $100+ price tag (printed on the box) was added at the last minute because they KNOW (*cough/$60 fast pack sets/cough*) we would pay it.

but sure, maybe the smallness of the initial run of Q-raus is the whole reason for the ludicrous price. are you thinking that if the Q-rau proves to be a success at this price, and Yamato makes lots more, they would lower the price? HA!

everyone here who FEIRCELY defends the price of the Q-Rau is sending Yamato this message:

Americans will pay ten dollars per inch (regardless of quality). Q-Rau measures (made of all plastic) 12" at tippy top of her anttena... $120.

Release a 1:48 Macross plus valk (made of polystyrene) 18" long (or thereabouts) in fighter, and we'll pay $180

Release a 1:24 VF-1 (non-transforming, made of cardboard) 26" (approx.) in fighter, and (you guessed it) MWer's will be schooling me about the high cost of little companies making big toys from little licenses in defense of the $260 price tag.

P.S. I'm not saying that the above pricing scheme is what I think Yamato will actually do, but it is clearly the message we are sending with our wallets.

[null vote] IMO there is no option for "quit whining about it"

IMO any and all Macross toys should be free to all fans, and cost 10x the retail value for people who intend on gouging others on places like eBay.

until that day... if I can afford it I will buy one... if I can't afford it I won't , or I'll wait till I can