Cat's eyes blues

007-vf1

last pic an added modification in one of the engine compartments...well an engine...along detail of the dish paint.

Edit (sp)

*the main (forward) canopy latch opens with a modified wave Y joint. For some future builders of this kit you'll have to know that none of the canopies fit right and since the frame is of a soft metal it can be bend to accomodate the canopy and fuselage shape, but even so is a big pain.

*the engine mod is built of styrene and cable parts

* the landing gear is detachable and can be placed on ground but I prefer, as in all of my models, the flying pose.

post-3-1077687433_thumb.gif

Edited by 007-vf1

Stunning!! Absolutely STUNNING!!

Great job!!

I've looked at the other thread and excellent work there, too!!

What is the scale of the Cat's Eye? (Did I miss it elsewhere?)

And, as requested at the other thread, a shot next to a VF-1 would be great!!

Edited by GRAND CANNON

The cat's eye is a 1/72 scale. and goes greta with the hasegawa

As I stated taking new pictures along the hase' the camera run out of batteries and it takes about 14 Hrs to recharge; so it will be until tomorrow night or so for betetr ones.

*A photoshoped pict..

post-3-1077782626_thumb.gif

Edited by 007-vf1

OMG!!!! you did one hell of a good job on that kit

I have the SD-19 and I couldnt get the stand to stay the plane how did you glue yours to on. I was thinking on using a lil JD weld on it. also did you have trouble with the canopy mine dont fit on the yf-19 conopy frame was thinking of dipping it in some boiling water to reshape it.

Edited by kam63

The cat's eye is a 1/72 scale. and goes greta with the hasegawa

As I stated taking new pictures along the hase' the camera run out of batteries and it takes about 14 Hrs to recharge; so it will be until tomorrow night or so for betetr ones.

The good news is that I got a soso pic with the hasegawa Elint before my camera went dead.

Very Nice pic.!!!

I'll anxiously await those darn batteries!!!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

-HelloH; like I stated before I like my models to stand in flying pose. I don't like the gears down, grounded look of an aircraft. the gears plugs in under the panels to make it posseable, the aircraft is not glued to the kite-stand just pinned and free stading so you can take it out and place it on the ground.

-Grayson; don't I wish I was an advanced modeler? I keep trying to innovate whatever idea I can deal with in a model at the time of building it; like the mesh guard on the chest intakes of some of the VF-1, the engine on the cat's eye, hinge on the canopies, extra sensors on wings, etc. is not that hard to do though.

-Kam; yeah the canopies are a real pain. None of them fit correctly and unless you know how to extend or modify it, you'll have to compromise with the original misshape. The trick to make the stand work is pinning. I drilled and pinned the 'arm' to the base using a small metal rod and 5 min. epoxy glue. the aircraft is pinned but free standing .

-Now that the molds are gone I feel lucky to be one of the few-handfull of people who have this kit...hopefully eventually, someone else will create one alike.

Well, knowing now that Tanmen's Cat's Eye is forever out of production, I think I could probably take on a recast project of it with a clear conscience.

And I know the theory behind the 3 part mold technique that Tanmen used to cast them. So I could probably pull it off.

But the problem that remains is that the big-ass molds wouldn't fit in my pressure chamber, so I couldn't pressure cast the large parts. And no one likes tons of tiny air bubbles in their resin kits....

Plus, I'd need to find someone to loan me their Cat's Eye for me to make molds of :p

Mind you, if I ever DO recast this kit, it'd likely cost nearly as much as the original. The cost of the materials involved would be quite high.

Well, knowing now that Tanmen's Cat's Eye is forever out of production, I think I could probably take on a recast project of it with a clear conscience.

And I know the theory behind the 3 part mold technique that Tanmen used to cast them. So I could probably pull it off.

But the problem that remains is that the big-ass molds wouldn't fit in my pressure chamber, so I couldn't pressure cast the large parts. And no one likes tons of tiny air bubbles in their resin kits....

Plus, I'd need to find someone to loan me their Cat's Eye for me to make molds of :p

Mind you, if I ever DO recast this kit, it'd likely cost nearly as much as the original. The cost of the materials involved would be quite high.

:cry: but... but.... but... :cry hysterically: I want one :wail like a baby:

Well, knowing now that Tanmen's Cat's Eye is forever out of production, I think I could probably take on a recast project of it with a clear conscience. ...

Mind you, if I ever DO recast this kit, it'd likely cost nearly as much as the original.  The cost of the materials involved would be quite high.

OK, how much and put me on the list!

I am just thinking of the Money a company like Hasegawa could make if they even made a Plastic Model of a Cats Eye  :)

I wish this would happen. I just saw the VF-0S fighter for sale here so I'm supporting Hasegawa with my rent money. Now if only they would send someone to read these forums .

:D

Though I must say I do not make alot of posts, even though this is the only I forum I visit daily, I have to say the Cat's Eye you built is a breath of fresh air, and look forward to actually getting mine own one day. Thanx for the pics.

• 8 months later...

wow!, thanks LTSO; is nice to reminisce about this stuff that happily enough is still around on my collection display cabinet.

I know there was also some people having the fanjet recasted so i wanted to add some of the old pictures and the old tread about this model in particular

Fanjet & vf-1 blue angels

post-3-1100669772_thumb.gif

Edited by 007-vf1