1/48 Minmay Guard Strike Custom

Anasazi37

To answer the questions posted:

UN SPACY: If I wasn't busy making decals, I could probably get something like this done in about 3-4 weeks. That's not solid time, though. A few hours a day. Since y'all keep buying sets from me, this custom took A LOT longer than expected. Min sent me the valk mid-December. Now that Twin Moons will be carrying most of my sets, I'll have a little more time to work on customs.

Graham: I missed the leg attachment problem last night. I guess I was more tired than I thought. Good eyes! Please feel free to use any pics you like. Thanks for forwarding this thread to Yamato.

Eternal D: I've tried printing the decals both as opaque and semi-translucent. I'm personally much happier with the semi-translucent because it doesn't jump out at you like the solid ones do and detract from the overall effect. It also allows the underlying paint job to come through so it's a little more realistic. The occasional light spot is where some nasty little air bubble refused to go away. With decals this large, the occasional bubble is unavoidable.

Vermillion One: The only difficult large decal was the Minmay on the right leg. Keeping with her character, she was quite stubborn and didn't want to stay put. I had to cut the decal in a few places with a very sharp Xacto knife and use a lot of Micro Sol. Eventually she settled down. The small blue stripes for the knees were the most difficult to apply because the surfaces curve in so many directions. They tended to curl away except on the flat surfaces. I fixed that by letting the flat sections set, then made small incisions in the decals where the surfaces curve, then used a lot of Micro Sol and patted them down repeatedly with a Q-tip until they stayed in place. The RMS-1 decals were also a little difficult since the missles taper towards the front. I ended up cutting the front of the decal about every four millimeters to a depth of about seven millimeters. The end result looked like fringe (until the decal was applied, of course).

I'll get battroid pics uploaded later today. I have to run some errands right now.

Edited by Anasazi37

My goodness, I never though a Minmay Guard could look that good. The new Fast Pack color looks a lot better on the valk than the other Minmay Guard's did, too.

Awesome, awesome job.

Edited by Anubis

Once again.....this is simply amazing.

Hey ansazi? Did it take you a while to figure out where to place the Minmay Guard decals on the Strike Cannon and Fast Pack?

Great choice with the decals on the missile sets. Are you planning to do anymore customs for MW'ers in the future?

B))

Graham: I missed the leg attachment problem last night. I guess I was more tired than I thought. Good eyes! Please feel free to use any pics you like. Thanks for forwarding this thread to Yamato.

I noticed that in the following batches of pics, in gerwalk mode and whatnot the legs are still not coonnected to the upper plate like they should be, and the arms are not correctly pushed forward in any of the gerwalk pictures. Trying to be extra careful with the new sticker/paint job?

Excellent work, mind you. Absolutely astounding. This sort of thing is something I've been waiting for ever since the 1/48ths were announced. I can't wait to see even more 1/48 customs, especially those that are at least half as good as this.

I noticed that in the following batches of pics, in gerwalk mode and whatnot the legs are still not coonnected to the upper plate like they should be, and the arms are not correctly pushed forward in any of the gerwalk pictures. Trying to be extra careful with the new sticker/paint job?

Yes. I am trying to not manhandle it so it's still minty-fresh when min gets it. I don't like to transform customs very much--especially one as complicated as this. You never know when the evil paint scrape monster might rear his ugly head, no matter how well you plan.

It's going to be REALLY hard to let this custom go to its new home....sniff.... :(

Edited by Anasazi37

Did it take you a while to figure out where to place the Minmay Guard decals on the Strike Cannon and Fast Pack?

Figuring out where to place the decals on the armor and fast pack was probably the most difficult part of making this custom. I finally hit upon an idea. I took a picture of the valk in armored fighter mode from above (plan view) so I could get a good idea of where the fast pack would overlap with the tire tread pattern on the chestplate. I then brought that picture into illustrator and extended the chestplate designs to use as a guide. Once I saw that it would overlap with the barrel of the cannon and the front part of the left booster, I masked off those areas with tape and then scanned the tape sections into Photoshop where I created a template from which I could drop in the tire tread pattern in Illustrator. That's actually how I did each section of every Minmay Guard set, so I have the system down pat.