Adding fuel to the fire

EXO

It seems to me that the Japanese don't really care about chara/mecha from one show guest appearing in another.

However, just imagine the fuss in the US, if for example an episode of Star Trek featured an X-Wing. King George would propably  throw a fit  :lol:

Graham

true but a battle like that would probably save both scifi franchises. a startrek vs. star wars battle is a scifi nerds wet dream

Edited by buddhafabio

It seems to me that the Japanese don't really care about chara/mecha from one show guest appearing in another.

However, just imagine the fuss in the US, if for example an episode of Star Trek featured an X-Wing. King George would propably  throw a fit  :lol:

Graham

true but a battle like that would probably save both scifi franchises. a startrek vs. star wars battle is a scifi nerds wet dream

:lol::lol: Back when I was a real geek and into Star Wars and Star Trek (not as much), my friends and I had huge debates about the Enterprise vs. Star Wars stuff :lol:

Ah, those were the days. :lol:

Vostok 7

Anyone see the trailer for Star Warped?

Turns into Babylon 5 vs. Star Trek. Nicely done so far.

Satire is one thing. Stuff like Star Warped is meant to be funny, and also fan made. Parody and homage are cool, as said above. Late-shows would be nowhere as good without it.

HG's practices are nowhere near so innocent. They plaigarize everything they can to use in RT. From the HCM for the MPC, and now this stuff. A -19 on the cover or a Mospaeda comic signals bad things for what they have planned inside the book. I think it may be a matter of time before we see a transformed VF-4 at this rate. An actual VF-4 transformation on the VF-X-4 (YF-4 as they call it), no attempt at changing it.

Edited by Anubis

What, like Thumb wars was officially licensed by Lucas? Parody law is what allows Weird Al Yankovic to eat. It's why the death star can be talked about in Clerks, the mighty robots from Battlestar Galactica can fight the gay robots from Star Wars on the simpsons, etc.

As long as it's not something that's claimed to be an official original part of the story, it falls under parody.

Actually companies go after parody uses of their trade marks all the time. Not necessarily because they're trying to be dicks (though I think some of them are), but because that's how the system works. The person(s) making the parody then have to show that the trade marked item is being used in a humorous or satirical manner (it has nothing to do with trying to be official or not).

For what it's worth, Weird Al always gets permission from the original artist before making a parody of a song.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

For what it's worth, Weird Al always gets permission from the original artist before making a parody of a song. 

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

Except from Coolio, who says his label gave permission without his consent.

As Weird Al says: "Hey, he hasn't returned any of the checks we sent him."

:D

Sad thing about people like Coolio and eminem getting offended by Weird Al's parodies is that they're both too stupid to realize the should be flattered. Weird Al doing parodies of their songs puts them in a class with Nirvana, Queen, Madonna, The Kinks, The Police, and Michael Jackson (back when he was still mostly black, and respected.......um, kind of). Those 6 bands/artists alone are some of the biggest pop icons and influencial artists in the last 4 decades of music.

It'd be like getting offended at someone for nominating them into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Morons..... <_<

If Trash were dropped due to lack of projected interest, all official records of its announcement wouldn't have dissapeared without any signs whatsoever left. Obviously a legal smack-down. ...

:rolleyes:

You don't have any evidence of that, you're out of your element.

I think your heart is in the right place (Macross) but YOU need not make sweeping statments about things you know nothing about... It derails threads.

My ass, your lack of evidence and sweeping statement about my sweeping statement & lack of evidence (be it very likely) is what derails threads.

And that my friend is eactly my element!

Keith I am not calling you a sissy-retard, this time. I am however telling you, you have no information... None of us do, so stop making stuff up.

And what did I make up now? The fact that all information on the release dissapeared without any sign or comment whatsoever from Tokyo Pop or HG? If it were a simple matter of lack of interest, they wouldn't have sought the license, & announced having it in the first place ...

Just because YOU didn't see any comment doesn't mean a thing. You have some seriously backwards logic... You are the only guy (if you still consider yourself that) who can argue a point with a 'lack of information', as grounds for your opinion. You are so incredibly stupid; this is like the 10th time I have come down on you for the same kind of idiocy. You should be put to sleep, I mean that just out of pity.

Boys, boys--play nice! Regardless of what Keith may have said on other topics, in this case he clearly labelled his opinion as a guess:

My personal guess, they licensed it from the french company releasing it instead of Big West.

It's a theory, a hypothesis. It can be proved or disproved based on further evidence, if evidence is ever forthcoming. (In fact, I'd say it was disproved later in the thread.)

Agent One- Although I do understand your reasoning for argument, I also came to, and still believe, the same conclusion as Keith, based on about the same information.

Coming to a conclusion such as this isn't the wild leap of insane logic you make it out to be.

Now maybe one can be held accountable for arguing it as truth instead of theory, but I'm not going to say anything on that.

edit:m spling

Edited by the white drew carey

Yayyy!!! A semantics war!!!

If Keith had wrote:

If Trash were dropped due to lack of projected interest, all official records of its announcement probably wouldn't have dissapeared without any signs whatsoever left. I think it was probably a legal smack-down. ... 

instead of:

If Trash were dropped due to lack of projected interest, all official records of its announcement wouldn't have dissapeared without any signs whatsoever left. Obviously a legal smack-down. ...

..it would sound like what it really is, a hypothesis.

"Conclusion" means a proven answer, which it wasn't. You can even draw a conclusion with very few facts, but in this case, there wasn't any facts at all except "it was there one day and gone the next".

Anyways, considering the bad blood between the Macross and RT camps, stealing the image of the YF-19 is fuct. It'd be like if the Yankees lined up for a team photo and A. Rod was wearing Babe Ruth's old Red Sox jersey. It may seem funny to some, but would really be in poor taste and show a complete lack of respect.

Agent One- Although I do understand your reasoning for argument, I also came to, and still believe, the same conclusion as Keith, based on about the same information.

Coming to a conclusion such as this isn't the wild leap of insane logic you make it out to be.

Now maybe one can be held accountable for arguing it as truth instead of theory, but I'm not going to say anything on that.

edit:m spling

Re-read the conversation. He makes assertions, not assesments, with zero information. What you quoted wasn't what I was talking about, but I really don't care to discuss Keith, or his shortcomings as a member. He just needs to get out of candy land and discover why he doesn't get respect.

There is no ifs ands or buts that Macross 7 Trash was canned because Harmony Gold and Tokyo Pop went over Big West's heads and when BW found out, BW said no because HG and TP didn't properly license it through Big West. (I have my sources)

Edited by Apollo Leader

There is no ifs ands or buts that Macross 7 Trash was canned because Harmony Gold and Tokyo Pop went over Big West's heads and when BW found out, BW said no because HG and TP didn't properly license it through Big West. (I have my sources)

I believe YOU. You deal with facts and reality.

I think we may have the same source.

Anyways, considering the bad blood between the Macross and RT camps, stealing the image of the YF-19 is fuct. It'd be like if the Yankees lined up for a team photo and A. Rod was wearing Babe Ruth's old Red Sox jersey. It may seem funny to some, but would really be in poor taste and show a complete lack of respect.

As a Red Sox fan I take offense at just the mention of that. :angry:

You know what the problem is? While HG might claim that confusing is whats keeping Macross from being heavily market as something different from RT..... Macross Plus is well known to the anime community. They can't just sneak them in a comic and expect ppl to swallow it. Back in the day ppl didn't have access to the original shows..... but this time ppl have had access to Macross Plus for years... they are not dealing with some unknown piece of anime design.

I once again vote for a simple homage.

As far as I know, Big West is responsible for the cancellation of the US release of Macross 7 Trash. I asked one of the Harmony Gold people in Robotech.com chat and, I don't remember the response exactly because it was a while back, but it sounded like they blamed Big West.

edit: Never mind. HG's word doesn't prove anything.

Edited by Legioss

Okay, looks like a false alarm. Some of the posters at RT.com started alluding to an informal gathering they'd had with Tommy Yune in LA a short time ago, and this story came from sktchrtst2002:

The whole chat at the gathering was over the artist doing the INVASION series drawing the wrong type of spacecraft and how Tommy caught it in time, before it went to press.

The fact this Illustration got onto the net just goes to show you that no matter how close you supervise that the right items are drawn, occasionally a piece will get through!

If anything Tommy will have some heads rolling at the art studios!!

And then came

alphavt 

Subject: I was talking with Mr. Yune about this Thursday morning

Posted On: February 21, 2004 - 10:04:01 AM

Edited On: February 21, 2004 - 10:06:17 AM

Clearly there's nothing to worry about. It's a sketch, not a cover.

Me (5:33:35 AM): The vehicle on the cover of #5...rtsurfer identified it as a VF-19

Mr. Yune (5:34:23 AM): it's a rough sketch that Takeshi Miyazawa submitted to get the Robotech gig -- it got leaked out in place of the #5 cover

Mr. Yune (5:34:54 AM): no big deal -- but I'm sure the MW folks must be flying off the handle or something

So as far as this item is concerned, it doesn't look like HG is trying to use Macross Plus images. Also, Cyc is correct about the artist--it's Miyazawa, not Yune.

Okay, looks like a false alarm. Some of the posters at RT.com started alluding to an informal gathering they'd had with Tommy Yune in LA a short time ago, and this story came from sktchrtst2002:
The whole chat at the gathering was over the artist doing the INVASION series drawing the wrong type of spacecraft and how Tommy caught it in time, before it went to press.

The fact this Illustration got onto the net just goes to show you that no matter how close you supervise that the right items are drawn, occasionally a piece will get through!

And then came

alphavt 

Me (5:33:35 AM): The vehicle on the cover of #5...rtsurfer identified it as a VF-19

Mr. Yune (5:34:23 AM): it's a rough sketch that Takeshi Miyazawa submitted to get the Robotech gig -- it got leaked out in place of the #5 cover

Mr. Yune (5:34:54 AM): no big deal -- but I'm sure the MW folks must be flying off the handle or something

So as far as this item is concerned, it doesn't look like HG is trying to use Macross Plus images. Also, Cyc is correct about the artist--it's Miyazawa, not Yune.

Sure it was a mistake <_< .

Excuse me for remaining a little skeptical. Drawing the wrong type of aircraft on the cover sketch would have meant something within robotech. Not a YF-19. But ok.

Edited by Anubis

Regarding the whole Macross 7 Trash thing, again this was a case of Harmony Gold and Tokyo Pop going over Big West's heads. As for there being "not enough interest", if that was the case, Tokyo Pop wouldn't have persued this in the first place or they would have had announced that there wasn't enough interest after a few months. Instead, rt.com and Tokyo Pop yanked their announcements just a few weeks after the original announcements.

As for the VF-19 controversy, good to see that there is some clarification on what really happened. At the same time too, though, I think we have a right to be vigilant of Harmony Gold's actions due to this whole licensing mess.

And then came

alphavt 

Sure it was a mistake <_< .

Excuse me for remaining a little skeptical. Drawing the wrong type of aircraft on the cover sketch would have meant something within robotech. Not a YF-19. But ok.

Hmm.....Hopefully HG keeps it's word AND doesn't include the -19 in there. I'm still somewhat a little bit suspicious towards HG. Is this damage control Agent One? I bet you that they were threading very close to a lawsuit. :ph34r:

I just love how Tommy boy couldn't resist taking a little jab at us. You're truly a freakin' professional, Tommy.

We ran those bastards off of this message board for a reason.

Heh. You think they're bitter? I once saw that somebody had re-registered as "Steve Yun" on the new boards, but sadly he has yet to post anything. Besides, they've got enough synchphants who will appraise them of everything we say or do, however irrelevant it may be.

I just love how Tommy boy couldn't resist taking a little jab at us. You're truly a freakin' professional, Tommy.

Not every one has the patience of budda my friend. And the way you guys aact I'm surpised he hasn't taken many more jabs. Turnabout is fare play, you gave lumps he gave you some back don't whine about or cry he's not playing fare just suck it up and move on. <_<;)

Not every one has the patience of budda my friend. And the way you guys aact I'm surpised he hasn't taken many more jabs. Turnabout is fare play, you gave lumps he gave you some back don't whine about or cry he's not playing fare just suck it up and move on. <_<;)

Hey, I don't cry when "Robotechfan78" takes a shot at us. In fact, it's sometimes good for a laugh. But I do expect people to comport themselves like professionals. I have opinions about some of my coworkers, customers and rival companies, and you know what? I keep my opinions to myself when I'm discussing them in business circles. You know why? It's because I'm a frakking professional, thats why.

Tommy on the other hand...? Well, this is HG we're talking about here. HG and ethics don't especially go hand in hand.

no kidding...and was he wrong? looking at all the angry posts here he was pretty much dead on. seems like whenever RT is mentioned all sense of objectiivty is thrown out the window.

And then came

alphavt 

:lol:

You guys may have chased them out of here but they also chased or put chokers on many a MW Member at the RT site.

;)

We ran those bastards off of this message board for a reason.

elitish behavior is wrong in any context.

besides waht do you expect with the general behavior of people towards them.

Also he is aprofessional artist not a saint.

Ali

The difference being that he ran away from the only forum where we could debate him, here. No such thing as debate on Robotech.com.