1/72 Tacticar Pod Graug re-issue

captain america

Hello, all.
As Brett over at @return2kitform has been teasing over the last several weeks, I would like to announce that @moscatohobbymodels and Return 2 Kit Form are back, but in a slightly different way.
As such, we would like to offer a re-issue of the massive 1/72 Tacticar Pod Graug kit, which I would be molding and casting myself. This is one of the largest kits I've mastered, and it hasn't been available since 2009. Because of the awkward design, this kit would feature certain load-bearing parts cast in high-strength polymer with inserts for optimal strength and rigidity. Other features include:
-faithful cockpit detail
-a seated pilot figure included
-full color decals (not included in the original release.)
In order for this project to go forward, we need a minimum of 10 orders. If you missed this kit when it was first released, the opportunity is before you now, 14 years later. Also, and this is VERY important: I will only producing enough kits to fill pre-orders. If you don't get in by the cutoff date of September 18, no other kits will be available.
If you're interested, please send me a private message. Posting in the thread only will not be construed as interest. Base kit price w/o shipping is $510 cad. Countdown begins now!

Screen Shot 2023-08-25 at 12.37.04 PM.png

post-632-1250118414_thumb.jpg

The MOQ for this project was hit barely 24 hours after the launch--I'm floored! :shok:

I think it's safe to say the project is going ahead, so I'll be sending payment requests early next week. If you're still putting funds aside, be at ease: the order window is and remains open until September 18.

Thank you to all who are supporting this project!

Edited by captain america

Captain's Log: September 7, 2023.
Time flies!
I find myself unpacking a box of master-patterns I haven't seen in 14 years—the Tacticar Pod Graug! Oh, the memories of things long past. To my knowledge, they'd been sold to someone who tried to get a run of kits going, but may not have been entirely successful, so Brett over at Return 2 Kit Form was able to acquire them for a reasonable price. Upon inspecting the parts, I can understand why.
Some of the patterns had become damaged with use, and repairing them wouldn't be an obvious task, given that much of the detailing was done with my own custom-made tools. With Brett's approval, I had the masters sent to me for inspection and refurbishing.
Aside from a few missing components and molding fractures on the hull, most of the damage was minor, but scattered across multiple parts. Not an easy task, but not impossible. I was able to restore the surface rivet detail using the same custom-made punch I used 14 years ago, and with a little elbow grease, all the little dings and cracks are repaired.
One component which probably didn't survive the molding process was the pivoting armored face shield for the helmet. It was a rather thin part to begin with, and what came in the box was a very crude casting of the part which looks like it had been filled with a generous amount of putty to plug the eye holes and make the casting thicker and easier to manage. Thankfully, the resin is forgiving, so I was able to re-carve and shape the component to where it now fits on the helmet and looks the part.
The next step will be to prep and seal all the parts for molding, and the construction of some custom mold boxes to handle these massive components. Stay tuned!

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.09.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.10.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.10.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.10.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-07 at 10.10.53 AM.png

06.png

07.png

08.png

09.png

10.png

11.png

12.png

On 9/15/2023 at 7:33 AM, CoryHolmes said:

This... is... :shok::hail:

How big is the finished kit?  And since this is a rather... older... product, do you see any differences from your more recent work, engineering or casting-wise?

Roughly 35cm tall. I think the (over)engineering holds-up fairly well. The struggle is in that middle ground where you want to make things as easy to cast as possible, but still have enough of a parts breakdown to facilitate painting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Captain's log: Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Apologies for the long silence, I've had some logistical challenges to overcome, but I've been diligently working on the molds, which are in full-swing. Because some parts are not only large but oddly-shaped, I've had to construct custom mold boxes to hold those parts. A task hindered by the fact that the intermediate owner of the masters failed to give Brett the master-castings I made for all the duplicate parts—requiring more time and effort for preparation. Alas, things are moving along well. Proofs the decals look fantastic, so a massive thank you to Devin for being able to print these on such short notice.

Assuming all goes to plan, I should have the molds done by the end of next week. Stay tuned!

13.jpg

14.png

15.png

16.png

Captain's Log: Wednesday, October 11, 2023

When I'm quiet, it means I'm busy! After completing the molds using almost 30 lbs of silicone, the casting is now fully underway... Well, sort of. I had one mold (forearm cannons) split on me. The result was buckled castings, so it needed to be redone, much to my ire. With that out of the way, the actual castings look excellent, and I should have all the parts cast in the next couple of weeks. :crazy:

17.HEIC 18.HEIC 19.HEIC 20.HEIC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It stands!  

standing.jpg.d5476f8815bed5936e0f2a534ecd47d3.jpg

standingrear.jpg.561697b3a5657868d8eae227ca743d68.jpg

It's quite monstrously large. 😋

screwthis.jpg.fed29fe6ed07bb10e34f3962598810b2.jpg

Now, if I may be permitted to preach to the choir, I'd like to address the issue of scale:

ScreenShot2024-02-07at10_14_33PM.png.b4e82b115c932ffe0b1d497f546b8e4a.png

Official stats (and actual onscreen interaction) establish the Glaug at 16.55 meters high, meaning Moscato's model is really 1:48 scale:

officiallyone-forty-eighth.jpg.17032ee8d585b2a3106da8fc535452e1.jpg

Official stats also claim a height of 11.85 meters for Quamzin, which makes Moscato's figure a reliable 1:72 scale. 

HMRscale.jpg.ef526f52087d54f6f758891059c009b5.jpg

However, the seated figure barely squeezes into the hollow shell of the Glaug, and in an awkward pose not consistent with the animation. 

adjustedfigure.jpg.34eeebd458f3f166b819e8b1f3a7ac4a.jpg

After putting the pilot into a proper seated position, I had to cut off his legs at the shins just to fit him in.

Moscatopilotincockpit.jpg.c68ede477ab0fd85934b5a96b0a4f93b.jpg

Note how the 1:72 pilot is much larger (and more deeply recessed) than what we see depicted in the anime:

animepilotincockpit.jpg.7abaf633a1ace4123d5ef2bc93fa7e19.jpg

Experten's 1:100 Quamzin 03350 figure is much more accurately-scaled to the mecha.

expertenpilotincockpit.jpg.978d63c00b7467314864157d2cff88a5.jpg

So logically, Moscato's Glaug should actually be considered 1:100 scale.

truescale.jpg.531b072e520a5fbebe876adcb5b2bb2d.jpg

Of course, that would put the Glaug at about 34 meters tall, over twice its officially-stated height. 😯

twoscales.jpg.e77815ea170099563315af4f627e81b2.jpg

That's one hell of a scale discrepancy! 😬