1/72 Tacticar Pod Graug re-issue

captain america

4 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Can't wait to see this finished up!!! 

Well, I've only finished one part so far...

cannonpainted.jpg.1076b600eda88dd5a0b93749e2b7993e.jpg

I'm adding the usual weathering and rust I'd expect to see on Quamzin's mecha.

cannontip.jpg.1402bef04f15ac571f0a110e7142d443.jpg

Delicate chipping has been strategically applied to areas most likely to have suffered impacts. 

cannonchipping.jpg.5193edd1d66bfc71978b663b8c2b3cdc.jpg

However, I need some advice from @captain america before I go any further:

post-cure.jpg.37f8440a6b991d5ec0d6b4cb18d25997.jpg

I realize these instructions are at least 15 years old now, and the chemical composition of the polymer resin used nowadays may have changed (assuming even the same brand was used for this run)...

Since I've managed to successfully assemble the model as it is (and it seems stable and secure), is it still imperative that I post-cure the polymer parts before painting?  Could omitting this crucial step result in the failure of load-bearing parts in the future?

partslist.jpg.b6ef836b88f87cca6411e2ce1ebcee2e.jpg

Also, judging by the color and texture of the pieces I received, I'm not sure all the parts listed here were cast in polymer resin this time... 🤔

As I've cut, sanded, and primed parts for test–fitting and assembly, I've sometimes used a hair dryer to heat and reshape parts to ensure a proper fit; this is a typical part of the process for building garage kits, of course.  But if a few moments under a hair dryer is enough to soften the resin, won't FOUR HOURS in an oven cause irreparable damage? 🤕

Most of us here have probably never "baked" resin parts before, and might be a little reticent to do so with such an expensive kit. 😬

waxpaper.jpg.56e322dc5cf3838662ce7f49b8970f7a.jpg

Additionally, this may only apply to me in Japan, but I've never seen wax paper here.  Would aluminium foil ensure even distribution of heat in the same manner?

28 minutes ago, tekering said:

Additionally, this may only apply to me in Japan, but I've never seen wax paper here.  Would aluminium foil ensure even distribution of heat in the same manner?

The closest I've seen here* is "cooking paper", which is apparently 'baking paper' or 'parchment paper' overseas.  Would that work better?

E.g.: https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001001678587/?gad1=&gad2=x&gad3=&gad4=&gad5=17180694156410001960&gad6=&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzoSO-uSGhQMVA9ZMAh1u5QTmEAQYAiABEgJGO_D_BwE&xfr=pla

* also live in Japan

Edited by sketchley

27 minutes ago, tekering said:

Well, I've only finished one part so far...

cannonpainted.jpg.1076b600eda88dd5a0b93749e2b7993e.jpg

I'm adding the usual weathering and rust I'd expect to see on Quamzin's mecha.

cannontip.jpg.1402bef04f15ac571f0a110e7142d443.jpg

Delicate chipping has been strategically applied to areas most likely to have suffered impacts. 

cannonchipping.jpg.5193edd1d66bfc71978b663b8c2b3cdc.jpg

I realize these instructions are at least 15 years old now, and the chemical composition of the polymer resin used nowadays may have changed (assuming even the same brand was used for this run)...

Since I've managed to successfully assemble the model as it is (and it seems stable and secure), is it still imperative that I post-cure the polymer parts before painting?  Could omitting this crucial step result in the failure of load-bearing parts in the future?

partslist.jpg.b6ef836b88f87cca6411e2ce1ebcee2e.jpg

Also, judging by the color and texture of the pieces I received, I'm not sure all the parts listed here were cast in polymer resin this time... 🤔

As I've cut, sanded, and primed parts for test–fitting and assembly, I've sometimes used a hair dryer to heat and reshape parts to ensure a proper fit; this is a typical part of the process for building garage kits, of course.  But if a few moments under a hair dryer is enough to soften the resin, won't FOUR HOURS in an oven cause irreparable damage? 🤕

Most of us here have probably never "baked" resin parts before, and might be a little reticent to do so with such an expensive kit. 😬

I think the wax paper is to prevent sticking. You may just be able to coat the foil with some dish soap, but I’m no expert 

11 hours ago, tekering said:

Based on my own findings, the newer batches of TASK 3 high strength polymer seems to stabilize more quickly than it did when I originally issued the Graug. I don't think post-curing is necessary at this rate, and especially if you don't have an oven, I think it would be wiser to omit that step rather than do something which could cause damage. You are also correct in your assessment that fewer parts are cast in polymer for this re-issue. An extra 12 years of experience with various resins helps!

As I've cut, sanded, and primed parts for test–fitting and assembly, I've sometimes used a hair dryer to heat and reshape parts to ensure a proper fit; this is a typical part of the process for building garage kits, of course.  But if a few moments under a hair dryer is enough to soften the resin, won't FOUR HOURS in an oven cause irreparable damage? 🤕No. TASK 3 and Smooth-Cast310 have different formulations. Some things you can do with one, but not the other, and vice-versa.

Additionally, this may only apply to me in Japan, but I've never seen wax paper here.  Would aluminium foil ensure even distribution of heat in the same manner? Parchment paper will do the job, or a silicone cooking mat. Basically a non-conductive buffer which prevents the extreme temperature spike caused by direct metal-to-resin contact.

My comments in blue.

On 3/22/2024 at 2:02 PM, Bolt said:

Beautiful job on the chipping and wear !

Thanks!  It's always difficult to judge how much is appropriate for any given location.

Like, I've applied the heaviest weathering to the feet:

dirtysoles.jpg.6afe5433ce88a044bba3432934998c1a.jpg

heavily-weatheredfoot.jpg.c103b0fa45f2ca5d945c05d7d79f50cc.jpg

I'm very pleased with the results, but... is it too much, maybe? 🤔