Macross II

samuraid

Macross II is OK, not great, but not terrible either. I love some of the mecha designs, especialy the VF-2SS w/SAP and the VF-2JA. Can't stand the Metal Siren tho, ugliest fighter mode ever IMO.

Graham

I thought the siren was cool. A Valk that can take on a warship on its own without a squadron of bombers behind it is awesome.

Think Highlander II: The Quickening .

Hasn't that joke been used before? <_<

I liked them both, actually, but I'm not overly pickly. I first saw it as a poor .avi with hard-to-see subs; I thought the one dude's name was Fell, like off of SW EU, and I was thinking "Dude! I didn't know he kicked THIS much @##! :lol:

M2 is ten times better than M7.

That's such B.S. Macross 7 is far superior to anything in II.

Now that's bs. :p

I seem to recall this exact discussion on AFM in 1998 with the exact same people. :ph34r: I agree with Oihan and our battle with Keith continues in a new place and time.

Edited by ComicKaze

I seem to recall this exact discussion on AFM in 1998 with the exact same people. :ph34r: I agree with Oihan and our battle with Keith continues in a new place and time.

You mean Keith sperads his illogical lameness in other places? Just don't pay attention to Keith... He(if you want to call him that) is the only person I know that can draw a conclusion with Zero data.

Think Highlander II: The Quickening .

But which version?

LOL, does it really matter?

Heh heh. Well, while it's still like having shards of glass in your stool, the "Renegade Version" is arguably better than the US theatrical version. But that's like saying that the surface of Mercury is more "comfortable" than the surface of the sun. Technically it is, but both will fry your ass to a crisp. Does it really matter? No, I just like semantics. :D

Edited by bsu legato

ANYWAYS BACK TO THE THREAD TOPIC..........

Over the years I've come not to hate Macross II as much as I once did, and it is a hell of a lot more bearable subtitled. But when all is said & done, it's still just a sad rehash of DYRL.

I share that sentiment. MII is not good but it's not bad over the years. Obviously the story needs some rough rough rough polishing. The whole sensational news media thing just didn't work for me. The whole ace pilot news stories were a drag. Really though, the news media making heros of people who really haven't fought anybody in... 2 generations. Isn't there some other gossip/news in the world of MII besides the UN forces? Isn't there some celebrity gossip besides the UNS celebrities? I found that part to be quite....odd and something that didn't really fit in. Anyways, thoughts?

You mean Keith sperads his illogical lameness in other places? Just don't pay attention to Keith... He(if you want to call him that) is the only person I know that can draw a conclusion with Zero data.

Don't you have a doorknob to polish?

I share that sentiment. MII is not good but it's not bad over the years. Obviously the story needs some rough rough rough polishing. The whole sensational news media thing just didn't work for me. The whole ace pilot news stories were a drag. Really though, the news media making heros of people who really haven't fought anybody in... 2 generations. Isn't there some other gossip/news in the world of MII besides the UN forces? Isn't there some celebrity gossip besides the UNS celebrities? I found that part to be quite....odd and something that didn't really fit in. Anyways, thoughts?

It seemed like they just decided to release a work in progress. It probably would have been much better had it been made into a TV series.

LOL ComicKaze! I remember that that discussion too on AFM. ^_^ And thank you (once again :D) for your support ComicKaze =)

Edited by Oihan

MACROSS 7 FIGHT!!

I just finished watching "Mac7 - The Galaxy is Calling Me" for the first time. Subs were ok, but litterally the story did actualy bring me to tears. And honestly I am not sure what I found "sad" about it. It was "interesting", I would not call it bad/good/spectacular/hysterical... just in itself... weird...

The ending had a real, I mean REAL good twist.

I have never wanted to DESTROY anything in this whole world, be it real or immaginary, as I wanted to DESTROY Pedro. I got so freekin tired of hearing "Bomber" and all about the Maryjane seeds... I wanted to start screaming "KILL IT" I could tolerate the same RT Reba West Minmei song being played repeatedly for 8 hours before I could tolerate 5 mins of Pedro going "Bomber... Bomber... Bomber..."

Battleing the Protodevilin with music was probably the most "interesting" part...

Once again, I didn't find this Mac7 bad... just wierd. Music was good, it was nice to see the subs for the lyrics.. the songs make sense now.

I need to see more Mac7 to make a complete, true opinion of it. Right now I'm still indifferent.

I have never wanted to DESTROY anything in this whole world, be it real or immaginary, as I wanted to DESTROY Pedro. I got so freekin tired of hearing "Bomber" and all about the Maryjane seeds... I wanted to start screaming "KILL IT" I could tolerate the same RT Reba West Minmei song being played repeatedly for 8 hours before I could tolerate 5 mins of Pedro going "Bomber... Bomber... Bomber..."

Hey hey, don't diss my boy Pedro here; other than being seriously misguided, he rocked. Him and to some extent Mylene's sister were the only things I liked off of that. I say to some extent because they did like Basara. ;)

I have never wanted to DESTROY anything in this whole world, be it real or immaginary, as I wanted to DESTROY Pedro.  I got so freekin tired of hearing "Bomber" and all about the Maryjane seeds... I wanted to start screaming "KILL IT"  I could tolerate the same RT Reba West Minmei song being played repeatedly for 8 hours before I could tolerate 5 mins of Pedro going "Bomber... Bomber... Bomber..."

Hey hey, don't diss my boy Pedro here; other than being seriously misguided, he rocked. Him and to some extent Mylene's sister were the only things I liked off of that. I say to some extent because they did like Basara. ;)

Ya it was a very kewl twist. She was talking to Basara and and saying how she was talking to her parents. I started to think, wait a minute they re-wrote the entire Zentron history? The scene where she was about to kiss Basara and then Pedro jumped into here mouth, again another Pedro annoyance.

I think Pedro as a character was done an injustice with the voice over, its just so annoying.

The only redeemable thing about Macross 2 for me is, of course, the sweet-looking Valkyries, Destroids, and enemy mecha. The story wasn't very good, the animation sucked, and the characters were not interesting. Ishtar's Marduk look kicks ass though! Although, what's with the ears?! Seems like they really relied on Mikimoto's style for Macross 2. I don't like the way he draws ears.

Still, if what I've seen of Macross 7 is any indication, Macross 2 isn't so bad. I have this VCD of some Macross 7 mini-movie where Basara takes on this huge Zentraedi chick. Talk about cheesy beyond belief! The music thing in Macross 7 just doesn't work. And that lame concept about the Valkyries' controls being musical instruments. Man! WTF were they thinking?! Great-looking mecha, lousy concepts and story.

I'm really glad that Macross Plus and Zero didn't follow those shameful atrocities.

Don't you have a doorknob to polish?

Well, you're the only door knob around here. But I don't think you deserve the treatment.

Ishtar's Marduk look kicks ass though! Although, what's with the ears?! Seems like they really relied on Mikimoto's style for Macross 2. I don't like the way he draws ears.

Aha! Someone else who noticed this. I could swear that sometime between SDF Macross and DYRL, Mikimoto started drawing everyone like they were elves, with pointy ears. Or maybe he always did it, but the animators fixed the ears in SDFM.

Well, you're the only door knob around here. But I don't think you deserve the treatment.

That, and you're not my type...

As for 7, anyone who judges just by The Galaxy Is Calling Me has little basis, that's within the last quarter of the story.

I just finished watching "Mac7 - The Galaxy is Calling Me" for the first time.  Subs were ok, but litterally the story did actualy bring me to tears.  And honestly I am not sure what I found "sad" about it.  It was "interesting", I would not call it bad/good/spectacular/hysterical... just in itself... weird...

I need to see more Mac7 to make a complete, true opinion of it.  Right now I'm still indifferent.

Watch Dynamite 7 OVA. Basically, it's a retelling of a "classic" story. Story-wise, nothing earth shattering, but entertaining nevertheless. It's good when you want a change of pace to M+ (moody, serious) or DYRL (epic, dramatic). I guess D7 would be well, energetic with a bit of humor thrown in. Besides, D7 has arguably (IMHO) the best opening animation/music of the Macross franchise. I never get tired of it. And there is nothing wrong with singing whales...as long as they keep in tune. ;)

I must say that I am surprised that more people like M2 now than before. I always thought it was OK. Certainly looked good animation wise. Glad to see I'm not the only one who like the Marduk mechas. :)

I am however, not surprised that the old arguments regarding M7 has been raised yet again...

Seem to always find its way into these threads from time to time.

Joe P.

I am however, not surprised that the old arguments regarding M7 has been raised yet again...

Seem to always find its way into these threads from time to time.

Joe P.

Well, it tends to come up every time someone brings up any topic that looks the crappy parts of the Macross franchise.

Well, it tends to come up every time someone brings up any topic that looks the crappy parts of the Macross franchise.

One man's crap is another man's fertilizer. ;)

p.s. as much as I like M+ (hell, I had Guld as my avatar!), there are some aspects of it that I have serious misgivings with, i.e. aspects of which I think are "crappy". Of course, if I elaborate on them, I'm sure I'd be lynched on this board. :unsure:

I must say that I am surprised that more people like M2 now than before. I always thought it was OK.

I think as time passes, it becomes somewhat tolerable. IMHO, MII follows the DYRL? feel. M7 and M0 deviate from it the rest of the series, which is why people have stronger lower opinions about it. But MII is really just a rehash and that just brings it down.