Van Helsing

areaseven

Eh... could've been worse. Could have been the guy that directed Batman Forever (I think that's the one with AhhhNooold The Governor.)

No one beats Shumacher in badness. Cept maybe Ed Wood ;)

i liked the frankinstein monster. he was the only intresting part of the movie. the werewolf model was neat too, but didn't fit in the live action. story was intresting a bit, but totally drowned out by the lame lame lame special effects.

"bleh BLEH!! i aim drakoola, come to sook your bloood! bleh bleh"

Ahh, sometimes it's fun to turn your brain off and just enjoy...it was basically a modern redo of all the old Universal horror movies (notably Wolfman vs. Frankenstein)....not much plot but a fun ride nontheless with an awesome score by Silvestri. And before you go on about it's the worst movie of the year, our trailer lineup included Soul Pain (er Plane), White Chicks, and Catwoman....I find it hard-pressed to call VH the worst movie in light of these cinematic wonders coming to a theater near you :rolleyes:

Edited by uminoken

I dunno if you guys are aware of this. But Van Helsing sampled from Vampire Hunter D like P. Diddy sampled from Sting. Look at Van Helsing and compare him to D (Both versions). Stephen Sommers admitted that he's a fan of D and shewed the Anime to the costume designer and told her to make the outfits look like those in the Anime. Not to mention they raided Blade's warehouse for his weps.

I dunno if you guys are aware of this. But Van Helsing sampled from Vampire Hunter D like P. Diddy sampled from Sting. Look at Van Helsing and compare him to D (Both versions). Stephen Sommers admitted that he's a fan of D and shewed the Anime to the costume designer and told her to make the outfits look like those in the Anime. Not to mention they raided Blade's warehouse for his weps.

No kiddin I never would have guessed lol...

Saw it last night...not bad, not great. kinda fun. I got what I expected.

The overdone CG effects produced sensory overload at first and then boredom later.

And that scene at the end with VH looking up into the clouds was beyond cheezy lol

Kate Beckinsale was hot as ever though B))

I saw it yesterday. I liked it a lot. It was a simple good fun action movie. No more, no less. Good viewing.

Last night I went and saw the movie with my roommates and a few of us came out not happy at all. The movie could hardly keep my attention; I noticed that my attention kept on going elsewhere. Towards the end of the movie, right when they got to Dracula's castle, I probably fell asleep 3 times (trying to stay awake) missing the entire ending. Never have I ever fallen asleep at a movie theater before. What a waste of $8.50 and time that was. ThE only good thing about the movie is Kate Beckinsale. Hot damn!

Edited by Oihan

Man that movie is the sh*t nice story and good action and effects. Its like castlevania the movie hope the next one comes out soon.

Nice story? It was pretty nonsensical. A good part of it seemed to be an inside joke for an upcoming Wolverine spin off film starring Hugh Jackman! The whole need for Frankenstein is what was the most far fetched part. Reminded me of Magneto tieing Rogue to the Statue Of Liberty for a similar purpose in X-men. The movie was entertaining but it is crap.

Just caught a late showing showing of it. Glad I dont listen to the film critics in this thread, cuz I liked it alot.

• 2 weeks later...
Man..

I thought this was really bad.

I know it is suppose to be real B and real campy but it just came off as real sucking.

<_<

LAME LAME LAME!

Many of you know that I am usually willing to give action movies a break just for the sake of them being a "fun action movie." But COME ON! This movie was terrible.

You see, they hook you with the trailers showing Helsing using all ye olde gadgets to fight evil back in the day. Hell, they even show a huge ass gatling gun IIRC, but they never use it. Then, he sucks it up w/ a rapid fire crossbow(that should have been WAY cooler. The movie also takes a steep dive after a certain encounter w/ wolfman and proceeds to crash and burn in my book.

IMHO it would have been much better had they decided to go all the way either serious, or campy. First half very campy, second half more serious. But kept alternating between the two. I hate that. One or the other.

Ending 20 mins---too "frenetic and random events/action" even for my tastes.

IMHO it would have been much better had they decided to go all the way either serious, or campy. First half very campy, second half more serious. But kept alternating between the two. I hate that. One or the other.

Agreed.

I agree with that. There was so much going on it bored me to death. Sensory overload turned to bordom. "Oh look lightning, explosions, fire.... yawn" lol

Anyone pick up the animated Van Helsing DVD? It supposed to take place before the movie. It's around 9-10.00 at Best Buy etc

I agree with that. There was so much going on it bored me to death. Sensory overload turned to bordom. "Oh look lightning, explosions, fire.... yawn" lol

Anyone pick up the animated Van Helsing DVD? It supposed to take place before the movie. It's around 9-10.00 at Best Buy etc

They did an animated prequel? Already? Geeze. <_<

They did an animated prequel? Already? Geeze. <_<

Yep here it is

post-26-1085199830_thumb.jpg

Ahh, sometimes it's fun to turn your brain off and just enjoy...it was basically a modern redo of all the old Universal horror movies (notably Wolfman vs. Frankenstein)....

As should have been obvious to anyone in the theater when they did the Universal logo, and then the opening scene, in black and white.

not much plot but a fun ride nontheless with an awesome score by Silvestri.  And before you go on about it's the worst movie of the year, our trailer lineup included Soul Pain (er Plane), White Chicks, and Catwoman....I find it hard-pressed to call VH the worst movie in light of these cinematic wonders coming to a theater near you :rolleyes:

Indeed.

Heck, Van Helsing was pee-holding worthy in my book. Very few movies get that from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for anyone who is interested in the take and make of movies like I am here is Van Helsing's current standing:

Released in the US on May 7, 2004 and has been in general release for almost a month. Limited international release is in effect.

Total US Gross $111,220,000 (from ticket sales to 6/1)

Production Budget $170,000,000 (estimated, does not include marketing budget)

Worldwide Gross $119,667,790 (includes US Gross to 6/1)

(data obtained from The Numbers, a reputable industry site)

So the movie is a month out of the gate, in limited international release and has yet to turn a profit. A good sign is that it is still supposedly in 2,000+ theaters, but it has not made it's primary production budget back yet and that is not a good sign for a summer blockbuster and generally a sign that no sequel will come. My guess is they intend to make their money back in rentals and sales of the general DVD release.

If you like the movie or not is almost not a factor when it comes down to the brass that VH is a summer popcorn flick designed to make the studio some coin, which it is not really doing at the level they like their summer blockbusters to perform. Then again, most studios only get one "money picture" a season even though they produce between 5 and 10 high budget flicks.

Just for anyone who is interested in the take and make of movies like I am here is Van Helsing's current standing:

Released in the US on May 7, 2004 and has been in general release for almost a month. Limited international release is in effect.

Total US Gross $111,220,000 (from ticket sales to 6/1)

Production Budget $170,000,000 (estimated, does not include marketing budget)

Worldwide Gross $119,667,790 (includes US Gross to 6/1)

(data obtained from The Numbers, a reputable industry site)

So the movie is a month out of the gate, in limited international release and has yet to turn a profit. A good sign is that it is still supposedly in 2,000+ theaters, but it has not made it's primary production budget back yet and that is not a good sign for a summer blockbuster and generally a sign that no sequel will come. My guess is they intend to make their money back in rentals and sales of the general DVD release.

If you like the movie or not is almost not a factor when it comes down to the brass that VH is a summer popcorn flick designed to make the studio some coin, which it is not really doing at the level they like their summer blockbusters to perform. Then again, most studios only get one "money picture" a season even though they produce between 5 and 10 high budget flicks.

Good lord... how on Earth did Van Helsing have a 170 million dollar budget?

No Oscar calibur actors, both Jackman and Beckinsale are barely A-list... did they blow all that dough on effects or Sommers?

That's a ridiculous budget... no wonder they haven't even broke even.

Now just to put the zap further on VH, here are some numbers from it's competition:

Shrek 2:

Released in the US on May 19, 2004, has yet to go international and has 15 days in theaters

Total US Gross as of 6/1 $271,516,000

Production Budget $70,000,000 (estimated)

Prints and Advertising Budget $50,000,000 (estimated)

Shrek 2 total profit margin after a mere 15 days in release: $151,516,000

Troy:

Released in the US on May 14, 2004, has yet to go international and has 20 days in theaters

Total US Gross $112,275,000

Production Budget $150,000,000 (estimate)

Prints and Advertising Budget $60,000,000 (estimate)

Troy has a current loss margin of $97,725,000 (that is how much more the movie has to make to "break even")

... kinda makes you think, eh? Shrek 2 has a few low A level actors on the payroll as voice talent and is basically all effects whereas Troy has a few A level actors on the payroll and a good number of effects yet it cost almost $80 million more to make and had $10 million more advertising thrown at it. Shows how hollywood moves in strange ways... yet who here did not know Shrek 2 would be boffo?

JsARC, one variable that missing from your analysis is Number Of Screens. Hollywood has become so enamoured with opening weekends that they are throwing these summer films onto an insane number of screens. Their only concern anymore is to make as much cash over the weekend as possible. If a film hits, and manages to hang onto the top 5 for a few weeks, so much the better. It's literally becomming an all or nothing proposition.

Shrek 2 at 15 days out is controlling over 4,300 screens in the US whereas at the 15 day point Van Helsing held just over 3,400 screens. Being a children's movie and a predicted cash cow from the start comparing VH to Shrek is like comparing a fat retard to Michael Jordan... but! Troy currently has it's claws into 3,400 screens on day twenty and ironically enough Van Helsing also held 3,400 screens on that day in it's release. So those two are directly comparable... sort of... well they are both still losing money at least they have that in common... :blink:

Edit to add: My initial point however was more of a sucker punch to Blaine's comment on "how the fark could that movie cost that much to make?" A movie like Shrek 2 which is 100% special effects and logically should take more effort to post-produce than Troy and Vanhelsing has a third the budget and makes money hand over fist. The only thing I think making VH and Troy cost so much money would be the cost of principal photography and all those darn sets and costumes. But the sad thing is that numbers like these change industries... hell, Disney has shatcanned their entire traditional cel animation department to focus on CG films from now on.

Edited by JsARCLIGHT

hell, Disney has shatcanned their entire traditional cel animation department to focus on CG films from now on.

...which shows just how clueless they really are. If they had an ounce of brains they'd realize that their cel animation flicks were tanking because they sucked, not because they weren't CGI. Conversely, their Pixar films were all sucesses because Pixar is f*cking talented.

Edited by bsu legato