BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

How can this show have money troubles? Normally, when a show gets such great reviews and hype, the studios open up their wallets a bit more. No offense to the actors, but none of them are thought of as 'A-List', so I don't think they're sucking up the budget.(I consider that a good thing by the way)

The Mini series really impressed me, I guess I'm a little dissapointed they haven't maintained the kind of special effects for the regular seasons, but season 2 seems measureably worse than season one...meaning just plain less effects than season one. You'd expect the exact opposite with the show's success.

They probably should do fewer episodes, unless the tight wads with the money start boosting the budget.

Each show has its own production budget, so it's not a matter of one show taking money from another. I'm sure BSG is just doing the same thing SG-1 has done for years: limiting the amount of money spent on CG and other special effects in the early episodes so that later ones can have some really kick-ass (i.e. expensive) stuff.

There's actually quite a bit of expensive CGI in the show...it isn't always space battles. The scene in The Farm where Sharon is getting everyone in the heavy raider...it's all CGI. The actors were just running up a ramp.

If you actually go back and compare, there is way more CGI in this season's first 6 eps than the 1st season's six. It's just that there are no battles in space since the first ep. Instead we've got

Ep 1: Super kick ass battle

Ep 2: Cylon Centurions albeit just a little

Ep 3: Centurions on Kobol, Raptors in space and on Kobol, Centurions fighting on Kobol, Raptors evading missiles and taking out Centurions on Kobol

Ep 4: Not CG heavy at all except for the Raptor scenes carrying the president and the CAP firing on them

Ep 5: The Farm had Centurions, the CGI Raider, also CGI scene background.

Ep 6: The CAG scenes with him screwing up. the asteroid scene and the refueling ships screw up

There are of course more tiny scenes and what not...if you compare them to season one...there is more new CGI than the first so far. But the space battles aren't there....why throw it in for the sake of having them? They concentrate on the story and so far...I don't see how throwing in some Vipers shooting Raiders would add anything much to the last couple episodes.

The rating drop occured among all shows...the rating system tallying underwent a change. It's still the Sci Fi channel's number one show and their biggest hit ever, and the ratings are back up since Olmos got back too so I wouldn't worry.

In the podcasts, it was stated that they just didn't have the time or money to build a "Caprica car" so they just used the hummer. It doesn't bother me so much as it does others. I see Luke Sywalker and Darth Vader holding camera flash guns as swords...at least a car's a car.

This show is a drama first, in a sci fi setting. If I get space battles every episode, while cool...it would really take away from the belief that they are running and winning all the time from a superior force. That's why I never believed the danger that TOS claimed it had....they won in every episode. They rarely lost anyone. Hell, they found humans almost every week on planets they could live on...why bother with Earth?

Hey, can someone please clarify something for me about the DVDs? I am definitely looking to pick up the miniseries and season 1, but I don't understand the difference between the UK versions and the USA versions. (Well, other than the fact that the USA version isn't out until 9/20, that is.) The UK version costs $49.99 at my local Best Buy, but they have the USA version listed in their computer for a whopping $79.99. What are the differences between the two? Does the USA version come with the miniseries? Even if it does, I could still get the miniseries and the UK version cheaper if I bought them seperately. Commentary and whatnot really doesn't do a whole lot for me - particularly seeing as how so much additional content can simply be found online. I just wanna see the episodes.

Hey, can someone please clarify something for me about the DVDs? I am definitely looking to pick up the miniseries and season 1, but I don't understand the difference between the UK versions and the USA versions. (Well, other than the fact that the USA version isn't out until 9/20, that is.) The UK version costs $49.99 at my local Best Buy, but they have the USA version listed in their computer for a whopping $79.99. What are the differences between the two? Does the USA version come with the miniseries? Even if it does, I could still get the miniseries and the UK version cheaper if I bought them seperately. Commentary and whatnot really doesn't do a whole lot for me - particularly seeing as how so much additional content can simply be found online. I just wanna see the episodes.

325040[/snapback]

That $79 one is probably the original series on DVD. That's what it was going for.

The Septemper released New Galactica set has more extras AND the miniseries for less than $50 I believe.

If they would try to dress up the Five-Seven like that, then I would feel better. They could also add some parts to the Cx4 Storm as well (like get rid of the scope and use something made up/non-cylindrical for a scope).

I don't see how throwing in some Vipers shooting Raiders would add anything much to the last couple episodes.

More than likely, they are saving the money for Pegasus. Which is fine.

It doesn't bother me so much as it does others. I see Luke Sywalker and Darth Vader holding camera flash guns as swords...at least a car's a car.

The least they can do is try harder than sticking a box with a hole drilled in it on a gun.

325040[/snapback]

That $79 one is probably the original series on DVD. That's what it was going for.

The Septemper released New Galactica set has more extras AND the miniseries for less than $50 I believe.

325061[/snapback]

No, according to this, it's not the original series.

Season 1 on DVD at Best Buy

I can't understand why my local Best Buy would mark it up $10... Someone please straighten this out for me? The exact same item is listed at Amazon for $41.

If you want just the show and don't care about the extras then sure.  But the Us version will have an extra disc with extras galore and the mini series to boot.

Uk Version has original opening music and a special preview disc of "Serenity" so it's a nice collector's item.  I'm getting both....decided I want the UK versions just to have, and the Serenity disc is a nice bonus.

US Version Sept release has:

5 discs

US intro Music (The same theme overall as the Funeral theme and the one that sounds more military like)

Mini -Series

Commentary Tracks:

Feature Commentary on "The Mini-Series" with Director Michael Rymer and Executive Producers David Eick and Ron Moore

"Pilot" Commentary with Director Michael Rymer and Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore

"Bastille Day" Episode Commentary with Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore

"Act of Contrition" Episode Commentary with Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore

"You Can't Go Home Again" Episode Commentary with Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore

"Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" Episode Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore

"The Hand of God" Episode Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore

"Colonial Day" Episode Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore

"Kobol's Last Gleaming: Part 1" Episode Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore

"Kobol's Last Gleaming: Part 2" Episode Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore

Behind the Scenes (presumed the 12 documentaries online on Sci Fi)

Deleted Scenes (presumedly the ones that were online)

Battlestar Galactica Series Lowdown (the special that was aired before season one began on Sci-fi...very good stuff to see)

Sketches and Art (also possibly the online site stuff)

An added bonus item listed is "1 of 3 Collectible DVD Exclusive Trading Cards" (your guess is as good as mine)

Nothing was cut from the US airings and this should be the same.  This is the best deal for the series as it can be pre-ordered cheap and has the whole kitchen sink.

UK version of the show sometimes featured some scenes that were cut/shortened on some airings (re-runs later at night supposedly feaured them un cut)...Six's ass on the table while she was bent over in a suggestive position in Ep 9 gone, the banter between Starbuck and Flattop in the ready room about umm...using his hand for something gone ,among other things...but they were restored for the UK's DVD release supposedly according to people who have the R2 UK set.  It has the deleted scenes that will be included in the Sept release. 

It does have 2 things the Sept release does not:

The UK (or rather true ) intro music before Sci-Fi changed it to the one used throughout Season one in the US...and then changed back to for Season 2 albeit shortened without the familar pre cap taiko drums.

and 2: The Serenity Promo disc.  Not sure how long this one will last but Universal was surprised at how much of a following FF had...and after the screenings did so well, they realize they have something of a possible huge sleeper hit.  I'm certain this is the reason behind the inclusion of the disc with the BSG set.  People on the Serenity movie site are going crazy trying to get this disc...I suppose we'll see them on ebay...or copies of a promo disc on ebay soon enough.

So...US version, no cut scenes, tons of extras, mini series included to boot on 5 discs  Sept 20 release

Best Buy UK version: UK music intro...Serenity DVD promo, presumedly restored scenes and an earlier release date..Tomorrow!!

:lol:

314220[/snapback]

No, according to this, it's not the original series.

Season 1 on DVD at Best Buy

I can't understand why my local Best Buy would mark it up $10... Someone please straighten this out for me? The exact same item is listed at Amazon for $41.

325507[/snapback]

Buy it from Amazon or Deep Discount DVD. Problem solved. :D

Here's some interesting information about two of the actors:

Alessandro Juliani, who plays Lieutenant Gaeta, played Toma in the second Ranma movie.

Kate Vernon, who plays Ellen Tigh, was James Spader's bitchy girlfriend in Pretty in Pink.

After looking at the credits of the supporting cast, this series is a big break for a lot of them. The actor for Chief Tyrol normally just reads scripts for auditioning actors, and usually gets bit parts, for example, he was one of Stryker's soldiers in X2 that gets stabbed by Wolverine.

Not much reaction for the last episode. I had a predispostion to not like this one, Journalists/reporters blow, every day that goes by in real life I'm more convinced of it. We're talking lower than lawyers...

I just can't buy the importance or relevence of a media in the BSG world. As if a tenacious reporter would be out there trying to prove what scum the military is, the same military that saved her and everyone else's life many times already. And most of all, that there's a relevent audiance eating said reporter's stuff up.

Also, you know that whole drama/controversy about declaring martial law? Well, look at New Orleans, people were clammering for the military to come in and take charge of the disaster. That was just a flood in a single city, so it seems so unlikely that there'd be this big ground swell among the fleet to prevent Martial Law after the near extinction of humankind and constant attacks from the Cylons.

Then, there's the unisex locker room/bathroom thing, perhaps the most unrealistic thing in the BSG universe. :D C'mon, women would never tolerate such arrangements and men would never leave. :lol: If we had that back in High School, I'd have LOVED Phys-Ed, show up early every day, volunteer for all sports, intentionally flunk out so you have to go back year after year... :D Sorry, that'll never be, not until we 'evolve' into a unisex species.

Lastly, I could do without Apollo showing off his 'abs of steel' and I'm tired of Starbuck showing what a bad-ass she is by either boxing/kickboxing or chomping on cigars or slurmting it up. I think Apollo and Starbuck need some humbling to be likeable again. Dammit, I need a character to like! Adama's P-whipped. :(

I want Cylons!(mechanical variety) Humans deserve annhilation anyway. :unsure:

Edited by Major Johnathan

Just watched it. I knew that reporter bitch would be a toaster.

Interesting at just how much the Cylons really know about the fleet. More interesting was Sharon surprised that she's(C Boomer) still alive on Galactica...gues she thought they'd have dusted her ass. :lol:

Man, what a great episode!!!

327354[/snapback]

I agree. And by the time the classic BSG theme started playing, I was all smiles. Man, that should be at the beginning of every episode.

The lack of space combat scenes has become rather glaring at this point. That's not to take away from the show, its doing great on its own as simply a drama. But I am wondering, or perhaps hoping, that their money and resources are being saved and used specifically for the Pegasus episodes.

What really impressed me about this episode is that no one on the Galactica knows just exactly how screwed they are now. Every single thing the reporter recorded could be gleaned for tactical information which the Cylons obviously will find useful. Now they know exactly how thin the fighters are spread, how low morale in the fleet is, and how tenuous the leadership position appears to be.

In other words, the writers have once again created an excellent setup for the Pegasus to enter the story and provide the Colonials with a much-needed boost. B))

I had thought they were going to drag out the rift between Adama and Roslyn and that ultimately the Pegasus would side with Roslyn in an attempt to take command over the entire fleet. However, that certainly went in a different direction than I'd have guessed. Now, though, I like this setup a LOT better. It reminds me quite a bit of the original series when the Cylons were certain that they had the Galactica on the ropes and finally moved in for the kill, only to have the Pegasus show up and give them a hell of a scare (and ultimately tip the balance of the next few battles).

I can't wait to see how it all plays out. In case you couldn't tell, I am very anxious to see how the Pegasus will factor into everything.

So I guess bringing a human/cylon hybrid baby to full term doesn't require 9 months. Boomer never looked like she was "showing."

Wonder if the baby farm on Caprica was to test which method would produce babies quicker.

What's the Cylon model count now:

-Six

-Leobon

-Boomer

-Doral

-Simon (doctor on Caprica)

-D'Anna Biers

Did I miss any?

Man, what a great episode!!!

327354[/snapback]

Like Stewie says...

shrooming.bmp

What... blonde Xena is a Cylon?! What a surprise... NOT! The lack of imagination of the writers of this show is only eclipsed by the characters' lack of intelligence. And where the hell are the CG effects?! Come on, there's only two Raiders and a handful of Vipers and we have to watch the faces of the Galactica crew! I think the producers have blown their effects budget on the drugs they use to make the critics think this is a good show.

One of the best episodes so far in my opinion> The original BSG music was nice insert, I am surprised every week by this show. I for one never thought the reporter would end up being a cyclon, so it made the even better i guess. Cant wait for the rerun.

So I had this thought earlier. If this episode had had the last few minutes (namely, the theatre scene) cut off of it and you had to play a game of "spot the Cylon in this episode," how many of you honestly think you would have guessed that the reporter was it? Maybe it's just me, but I certainly didn't see that coming. That development has huge ramifications for future plot development, and I hope the writers do something truly inventive with it.

The lack of space combat scenes has become rather glaring at this point. That's not to take away from the show, its doing great on its own as simply a drama. But I am wondering, or perhaps hoping, that their money and resources are being saved and used specifically for the Pegasus episodes.

327359[/snapback]

While space combats are great and all, it doesn't make sense to have them in every single episode just for the sake of having some space combat.

The present story arcs don't require space combat and it woud be a bit out of place just to throw in some random space combat to please fans. I'm sure once these story arcs play out then we'll get some kick ass space combat.

As Gaijin mentioned in an earlier post a little while ago, season 2 has had lots of CG effects already, just most of it has been in land battles with the mechanical Cylons. And you have to admit that some of those firefights were pretty cool.

Graham

Sorry, but there's been stunningly little space action for almost all Season 2 so far. And I have to disagree with Graham, the ground combat/firefights were pretty much a let down too, I'm still bummed at the episode where the Cylons board Galactica, you'd have to count seconds of screen time, not minutes, where Cylons actually appeared. I was really looking forward to that episode too.. :(

There's been so little space action that I found it glaring that they didn't even show the little dogfight in the last episode. (by the way, yeah BSG kinda stole the radio chatter from Star Wars, but Star Wars stole it from Miday. ;) )

Anyway, I'm trying to get a handle on the Cylons. Are they absolutely all powerful the way they were portrayed in the last episode, i.e., they're just playing with humans and could annhilate them at their leisure? Or, are they very much defeatable, like when Raiders pop in and get blasted away with seeming ease, or the walking variety that get capped with a single pistol shot to the noggin?

It gets back to that Basestar Boomer blows up, clearly according to the story, the Cylons knowingly sacrificed that Basestar so Boomer could get close to Adama and zap him. So all the firefights, all the space battles, the loss of the asteroid refinery, all just Cylons toying with humans who THINK they have a fighting chance, but don't.

Unisex facilites: They could only be serious in Sci-Fi. Imagine the sexual harrasement complaints alone. And clearly, the humans in BSG are VERY human. They need to play porno music for those scenes. :ph34r:

Good episode, the question that's not too obvious is whether or not Xena on Galactica knew she is a cylon or if she is just another plant like the first Boomer.

I'm still curious to see what the cylon plan is, after all, they obviously decided that humans to some extent might be useful, otherwise, why keep the fleet alive. The story is good enough for now, as long as they put in good reasoning down the road, and the humans decide to do something aboout it after they find out. That should be good enough.

I think the callsigns for the pilots are pretty inventive too. Theres no "Wolfman" or "Jester" in the group. Be interesting if Moore or the website ever dug into the backstories for any of the callsigns and how the pilots got them ( besides Boomer and Hot Dog, which are explained)

Callsigns I remember -

Apollo

Husker

Starbuck

Boomer

Helo

Kat

Racetrack

HotDog

Crashdown (Killed at Kobol)

Ray Gun (Starbuck was sitting in the cockpit for a while during one shot, could be dead, could have retired and wiped out on a colony since it was an old Viper)

Carrot (deleted scenes) (Killed in miniseries)

Flat Top ( Killed in Act of Contrition)

Chuckles  (Killed in Hand Of God)

Fireball (Killed in Hand Of God)

Callsigns from IMDB I don't remember -

Ripper ( Killed - First CAG in miniseries)

Hammerhead ( Gideon incident Lt)

Flyboy (Killed by Cylon in 2.1?)

StepChild (Killed in Hand of God?)

Karma (not sure)

Jammer (not sure)

Out of the secondary expendable pilots, that leaves Kat, Racetrack and HotDog left who could reasonably die before the end of the season.

327538[/snapback]

Stepchild was the woman pilot who kinda looked like Racetrack that dies in Hand of God I believe.

Jammer was the guy Cally beat up in 'Resistance' when they were talking about the chief being a cylon (not a pilot)

Karma, I believe was the Raptor pilot killed in KLG.

I liked the last episode. It was way better than I expected from what would typically be a filler story (recounting of events, personal musings, etc.); it served as an opportunity for character development for many characters and as a springboard for further conflicts. Overall, I'd give it a solid B.

I also enjoyed how the writers captured the self serving, arrogant, near seditious, attitude of the reporter's profession, in their single minded self-appointed mission to tear down those who secure their freedoms...very topical.

Small blurb today.

Courtesy of Dark Horizons:

...Sources at SciFi Channel are reporting that SciFi has unofficially decided to award both "Battlestar Galactica" and "Stargate: Atlantis" third-season pickups. SciFi normally does not announce fate of shows during the first half of the seasons, which end this month.... Read more...