Super Dimensional Century Orguss

Boxer

Hello.

I found out about Orguss only recently, after finding the origions of the infamous Orguss Valkyrie. Odd as it is, I haven't watched a single episode and yet I'm a fan.

I'm wondering if the DVD box set is any good. Anyone here have it and can judge?

Or am I alone in my single fandom....

It was a great show (though stay away from the Orguss 02 OVA, as it has about as much to do with Orguss as Macross II did with Macross). The HK set is great also, though the subtitles start out pretty good, and degrade over the course of the series. Mind you everything is understandable, but the name translations get somewhat odd towards the end.

Still, it's highly reccomended, especially since it's the only way to currently get Orguss.

I heard somewhere that the name translations were laughably incorrect. (For example, Kei is called 'Jackie') I was debating weather it was worth suffering through the hindering diolauge just to understand it.

I have no plans to get Orguss II, anyway. I'm rather dissapointed at the lack of attention the show gets though, it's a great idea with a great premise. What makes it so...well...unwantable? Because Macross beat it out?

I'm starting to think if Orguss was butchered and added to 'Robotech' then it might have had some popularity.

I heard somewhere that the name translations were laughably incorrect. (For example, Kei is called 'Jackie') I was debating weather it was worth suffering through the hindering diolauge just to understand it.

I have no plans to get Orguss II, anyway. I'm rather dissapointed at the lack of attention the show gets though, it's a great idea with a great premise. What makes it so...well...unwantable? Because Macross beat it out?

I'm starting to think if Orguss was butchered and added to 'Robotech' then it might have had some popularity.

Don't let the names scare you away, it's well worth it. Though I still enjoy Macross more, I'd place Orguss above Mospeada. Besides which, it has a fantastic ending.

Keith pretty much summed it all up, right on the money...but I would recommend Orguss 02, if you watch it with the understanding it really has nothing to do with the original TV show...Orguss 02 has a pretty decent story up until the last couple of episodes (where the "ties" to the original TV show are "exposed" :angry: )..but up to that point if you ignore the mecha designs (which are pretty clunky reinterpretations of the original Nikick and Orguss) it's a very different but well done OVA series that the likes of the Squaresoft PSX Xenogears and even Turn "A" Gundam have drawn some inperation from.

Never did get to watch the series, but I seriously dig the otherworldly toy designs much more than those from Macross. :-)

Same, I dig the design's but have never seen the show. I still like macross more, but orgoids have to be some of my favorite funky mecha designs ever!

I saw part of the show from old tapes from the old US release on video. It had an interesting premises, but I didn't get far in the series because the video rental place had only three or four, and the company that had been releasing it had already gone under... :(

I liked Orguss 02, I prefer it over the original series (although I hadn't seen enough of Orguss).

Sorry but give me Macross mecha anyday, although the Orguss mecha aren't that bad.

Jeez, imagine if Focker's personality got switched with Manning from Orguss 02... :o

ORGUSS!!!!

HK Set subs so so.

Orguss is cool!

I am one of the few that likes Orguss 2.

Carefull if you buy the HK boxset. There is a set that only has half the show in each boxset. I have not seen one of those in a while though. Just read the item description and you will be alright.

Beware of the Timmy... :p

I haven't seen anything of the original Orguss series, but I would very much like to. Its got an interesting premise and wonderful mecha design.

The original Takatoku toys are, by the way, very cool and although some of them can be very fragile, going by my experience, with one or two exceptions, they are generally cheaper to buy than Takatoku Valkyries, and sometimes easier to actually find too!

Orguss 02 is probably one of the most under-rated - heck, its possible its only so because very few people have seen it! - anime around. Though the mecha designs are inferior to the original, and I can't compare it to the original series either, I found it much better than I expected to be and one of the main characters ( though not the young lead, who has "plot device" written all over him ) is superbly scripted and very, very likable, despite his devious manner... :lol:

Hello.

I found out about Orguss only recently, after finding the origions of the infamous Orguss Valkyrie. Odd as it is, I haven't watched a single episode and yet I'm a fan.

I'm wondering if the DVD box set is any good. Anyone here have it and can judge?

Or am I alone in my single fandom....

The HK boots are the only way you can get Orguss-1. No-one knows if Mangle has the US-rights from the old US-Renditions.

Rankings:

the good:

[*] video-quality: good. prolly ripped from the last Japan-R2 set.

[*] audio-quality: good stereo.

[*] price: very decent enough. Avg $30 to $40 for the boxset.

the bad:

[*] character-designs: Abundant Minmay/Misa clones.

[*] subtitling: horrible engrish. name-substitutions and name-mangling run amok as you progressed thru the whole series. However, it's a simple story so you can follow it even tho the grammar and name-spellings are pretty high on the weird-scale.

As for the Orguss-story, it's kinda interesting pilot-turned-wandering-gypsy-due-to-time/dimension-warp-disturbance. Interesting sci-fi plot but average story-delivery. Pretty much un-interesting and really boring unless you're so into 80's sci-fi anime. The only good mecha design is the Orguss itself, tho it's pretty much weak and ugly compared to Macross and Gundam mecha designs.

In contrast, the Orguss-2 OVA is a better story and has a better video animation production, as well as great character-designs improvement over the original Mikimoto-designs, i.e Orguss-1 Mikimoto-characters all look like Minmay/Misa clones. As others have stated, it only tries to un-necessarily and half-heartedly hook up with the original Orguss-1 in the last two episodes. Although it echoes Macross-II sequel-tradition, the closest story-parity/plot-relationship I can give it is prolly Gundam-MS-08th's relationship to MS-Gundam. Same people made Macross-II, Orguss-2, and Gundam MS-08th, anyway iirc. Very very much darker in tone and delivery than Orguss-1.

Edited by treatment

Of what I've seen of Orguss I've really enjoyed it. I have a few of the tapes from U.S. Renditions (at least I think that was the company). At the very least I liked it enough to get an Orgroid toy. :lol:

There is the HK set but I remember someone was going to do a fansub of it, but now I can't remember which MW member was doing it.

I see Orguss toys here and there on Ebay, as well as a host of the VHS tapes, but nothing as big as some of the other anime out there. I might just get the orguss just to learn how it transforms properly.

I've given up on 02 already, even though I saw the box cover art long before the origional Orguss.

As for the art I don't really mind. I actually like Mikimoto's style. That might change after I watch Orguss and it's population of Misa/Minmei clones... but for the time being I'm willing to settle with it.

So is there an official HK sub that has the names right? There's one I'm looking at over at AnimeToxic, and from what I've heard this set has it's sub errors. There is no way I'm going for the Dub, mostly because I can't find it.

another fan here.

me and my roomate were actually doing accurate translations for that series. compiled scripts for the first 5 episodes.

it seems like the project is grounded though, havn't heard from the subtitler in awhile

:(

dunno if there names are changed but thelonewold and valkyrie from the old boards were a part of the effort. and i remember ole milkman was there supporting the whole way =D

The designs aren't "that " rehashed, besides which, it's called style! As for Orguss 02, it does have a good story, at least it did when it was called Laputa.....

And has anyone mentioned that Max's seiyuu does the voice of Kei? That's nearly reason enough to see it.

Edited by Keith

Did they keep the origional Orguss in 02 or did they redesign it? And I know I haven't seen an Ishkick in any of the posted pictures for 02...

They redesigned everything...in the Orguss 02 OVA series the actual Orguss 02 title mecha (the only one in the OVA that transforms) resembles a typical Gundam more then a Orguss like mecha...in the opening episode you see something that closely resembles the original Orguss pulled from the sea, it is the repaired and modified (head replaced by machine guns and such), and shortly used in a battle aganst a mecha that somewhat resembles a Nikick...the modified Orguss redesigns (which in the OVA seem the same except for some color differences) are fairly nice, I think, decent tributes to the original design...but the rest are a bit sparce in detail and rather bland...

If I get a chance I'll try to do some screen captures and post them in this thread.

Max from Macross? Which one, American or Japanese?

Did they keep the origional Orguss in 02 or did they redesign it? And I know I haven't seen an Ishkick in any of the posted pictures for 02...

There is only 1 Max! Why would I care about anything from robotech???

I finally got my hands on the Orguss DVD boxset....

Only to encounter some problems.

One; the English Subtitles (I can deal with them...) cut out at the end of DVD 01 and leave you with just diolauge.

...and DVD 2 has nothing but Chinise subtitles no matter what option you choose (English or Chinise)

...Help?

I finally got my hands on the Orguss DVD boxset....

Only to encounter some problems.

One; the English Subtitles (I can deal with them...) cut out at the end of DVD 01 and leave you with just diolauge.

...and DVD 2 has nothing but Chinise subtitles no matter what option you choose (English or Chinise)

...Help?

If you're talking about the french revolution episode, yeah, the subtitles do cut out there, but it's not too bad. As for the chinese subtitles only problem, I haven't encountered that. Are you using the remote or the menu to select language? Where did you get your set from as well?

I watch my DVDs on the comp (Family won't let me on the TV...) so that might be the problem. But yeah, I ran to the menu to activat the subtitles instead of by remote.

I got the boxset here: http://www.animetoxic.com/prodetail.cfm?itemno=J202-394

It wasn't the cheapest, but I already got an order from them in a short time so I thought they'd be reliable.

It might just be my computer problems...I got two computers in the house that can run DVDs plus an X-Box and a PS2 in additition to the real DVD player in my home. One of them is bound to work.

Edited by Boxer

I watch my DVDs on the comp (Family won't let me on the TV...) so that might be the problem. But yeah, I ran to the menu to activat the subtitles instead of by remote.

I got the boxset here: http://www.animetoxic.com/prodetail.cfm?itemno=J202-394

It wasn't the cheapest, but I already got an order from them in a short time so I thought they'd be reliable.

It might just be my computer problems...I got two computers in the house that can run DVDs plus an X-Box and a PS2 in additition to the real DVD player in my home. One of them is bound to work.

Looks like the same set I have, try using the controls on whatever software player you're using, there should be a manual method of changing subtitle options other than the menu.

As far as I know there is no Manga nor artbooks that are available on the internet. Yet somehow Orguss.freeservers has somehow managed to get lineart from somewhere.

Any Orguss artwork can be found in the various artbooks put out by Haruhito Mikimoto should have some Orguss art in them.

Finished Orguss....what a ride...

Did anyone see the Arcadia in the battle in the last episodes???

Edited by Boxer