G.I. Joe Classified Series 6” figures, Retro 3.75” line, and Ultimates 7” figures

sh9000

52 minutes ago, Big s said:

The 80’s brands are all pretty strong and have some pricey big items. I’m surprised every time I see something like the thunder tank or castle grey skull selling. And multiple large items for GI Joe . 
I don’t know what will happen when all the 80’s and 90’s kids grow up. I think most of the late 90’s kids won’t really be too interested in these brands. Most of the younger crowd are into anime rather than their parents nostalgia, but maybe that will keep some interest in the younger crowds rediscovering things in a similar way that something like dungeons and dragons has caught on. It probably would take something like a newer animated series to get the attention of the younger audience 

Yeah, the thundercat tank surprised me the most, and the teased lair will take that spot soon. 

I'm expecting the next Joe Haslab to be even bigger. They've now well established a buyers base off two items.

Kids are also more into games, as the games are longer compared to films and shows (20-40 hours vs 2-8 hours) and form an attachment especially with freeworld RPG where they get that maximum sense of living the world.

If you look at the history of toys, and specifically action figures, basically there were no real figure properties outside of the long-running Barbie and a long dormant GI Joe until Star Wars released in 77.  Once the licensing arms race combined with the removal of regulations preveneting Hasbro/Mattell/etc from producing half hour toy commercials kicked off we had all of these toys. 

Outside of a few seemingly evergreen properties (TMNT), some smaller or occassional upstarts like Fortnight and foreign markets (because Japans toy market has always been different) I can't see how figures will exist in the same capacity as they do now with the late 30's to late 40's crowd aging out.  We basically started buying figures at age 8 and haven't stopped.  But younger generations don't care, it's like a return to the 70's prior to Star Wars.

The Dragonfly was I THINK my first ever GI Joe vehicle back when I was a kid.  I played with it every damn day.  I had a F.A.N.G. and Battle Pod to do battle with Wild Bill in the Dragonfly.  Eventually I got the COBRA MAMBA helicopter jet thing which was EPIC!  Good times. I don't have room for these HASLAB creations, but boy if I did.......:wub: I REALLY loved the look of the new H.I.S.S. 

24 minutes ago, Mommar said:

If you look at the history of toys, and specifically action figures, basically there were no real figure properties outside of the long-running Barbie and a long dormant GI Joe until Star Wars released in 77.  Once the licensing arms race combined with the removal of regulations preveneting Hasbro/Mattell/etc from producing half hour toy commercials kicked off we had all of these toys. 

Outside of a few seemingly evergreen properties (TMNT), some smaller or occassional upstarts like Fortnight and foreign markets (because Japans toy market has always been different) I can't see how figures will exist in the same capacity as they do now with the late 30's to late 40's crowd aging out.  We basically started buying figures at age 8 and haven't stopped.  But younger generations don't care, it's like a return to the 70's prior to Star Wars.

Well put. It's pretty much my point. 

Which also means the resell value will diminish further on as there will be less demand. 

I think only household toy brands like Lego and Barbie will survive this nearing shift... 

8 hours ago, Mommar said:

I don’t think it’s that younger generations don’t care. There’s just more diversity of products for them. If you take a kid to a collectors show like Frank and Son’s or a comic con they will be bugging for toys. I’ve seen it many times. It may get be that they like a superhero character from a movie or an anime character or whatever, but kids like toys more than adults are willing to buy for them. Most game streamers have action figures showing in the background on their shelves and those people are half my age or younger. 

If GI Joe wants to have a younger group of kids interested in their product, then they have to try harder to grab the younger generation’s attention. The last movie they put out was more of an 80’s style ninja revenge movie that didn’t feel like anything that would have to do with the property. If they put out something new like an animated series streaming on max or Netflix, then I’m sure that would get their attention. Kids still like transformers toys, but they’ve had newer toons and movies to tie into the franchise. It’s definitely going to be an up hill climb if GI Joe wants to stay relevant though.

I don’t think that the demand is going to be as high for larger vehicles though since a lot of parents are downgrading on the size of their homes. It’s definitely tougher to get a larger item and I’m still surprised at the fact that hasbro and other companies has been getting people to buy these larger items. Even when I was young, I could barely talk my parents into the Rattler and that was only for the small figures of the day.

10 minutes ago, Big s said:

I don’t remember much of those later GI Joe episodes, so I don’t remember why the range vipers had exposed brains?

I always assumed the helmets were shaped like that for a "toy" creepiness effect.

12 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

I always assumed the helmets were shaped like that for a "toy" creepiness effect.

I wasn’t sure if that was a helmet or if they were weird mutations. Things were strange after Serpentor and even weirder in the later episodes 

1 minute ago, Big s said:

I wasn’t sure if that was a helmet or if they were weird mutations. Things were strange after Serpentor and even weirder in the later episodes 

I get you. It was peeking over the magic/fantastical border. 

1 hour ago, Big s said:

It's a helmet. Range Vipers are essentially supposed to be relentless survival experts than manage to survive the most hostile environments with little to no resources hence the "zombie look."

One of the Joe's survival experts, Ambush has an exgirlfriend named Evy who is a Range Viper and is show without her helmet. Multiple episodes show other range vipers without the zombie helmets.

4 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

It's a helmet. Range Vipers are essentially supposed to be relentless survival experts than manage to survive the most hostile environments with little to no resources hence the "zombie look."

One of the Joe's survival experts, Ambush has an exgirlfriend named Evy who is a Range Viper and is show without her helmet. Multiple episodes show other range vipers without the zombie helmets.

I think I liked it better when everything was snake themed. The brain helmet is a bit silly, even for later episodes 

Speaking of SDCC, anyone interested  in my SDCC Zartan? I actually prefer the Walmart retro version, and I don't  need two.  (he's only been in the fridge like twice!---but that means I can confirm the color-change works)

44 minutes ago, Scyla said:

Did Hasbro ever released a "regular" black Classified Baroness that was not locked behind a store exclusive motorcycle bundle?

D0D53FFA-88D1-4AC9-9BCF-62E2F9B5EAB0.jpeg.bc842f6291198194f35d5e0f0088a96f.jpeg

B2293397-9E68-4F42-9F28-0722BCEB65A7.jpeg.283577604f3bc279242791010e87218d.jpeg

Only the Retro version from Walmart which has different paint and weapons.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/G-I-Joe-Classified-Series-Series-Baroness-Action-Figure/770146697