2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Disney milks all things nostalgia run by their department made up of 'member berries. It's kinda sad tbh.

Yeah, I just remember this cartoon being a bit better. 

11 hours ago, Big s said:

After starting a rewatch of the old episodes, I’m definitely far less excited for this. I’ve gotten about half way through season 2 and the dialogue and action is pure cheese. They really had a small budget back then. 
I know the big complaints included Rogue having her bodacious body nerfed and that Morph is nonbinary now, but Rogue already had her looks nerfed and Morph was trying to seduce dudes in the old episodes. 
Honestly, I’d have rather seen a brand new project that just has good writers and better animation 

Agreed. It was fun to watch when I was in jr. high and high school, but it was clear at the time that it didn't have the quality of writing of a Batman the Animated Series. Regardless of the series finale's cliffhanger ending, I just never felt like I needed to see the show brought back 27 years later. To be fair, DC had done similar things with Batman '66, and Wonder Woman '77, so it's not like Disney has a monopoly on nostalgia-baiting sequel series, but thanks to being a TV show on D+, it's got a much higher profile.

8 hours ago, Jeff J said:

Agreed. It was fun to watch when I was in jr. high and high school, but it was clear at the time that it didn't have the quality of writing of a Batman the Animated Series. Regardless of the series finale's cliffhanger ending, I just never felt like I needed to see the show brought back 27 years later. To be fair, DC had done similar things with Batman '66, and Wonder Woman '77, so it's not like Disney has a monopoly on nostalgia-baiting sequel series, but thanks to being a TV show on D+, it's got a much higher profile.

I’ve done rewatches of older cartoons like GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, D&D, the old TMNT and a few others, but I’m really really let down by the quality of X-Men. It’s maybe the only rewatch I’ve done that has let me down this bad. This show probably should’ve been left in the mind of nostalgia.

There’s also quite a bit of character introductions that they just didn’t care about and someone will say something about how difficult it was to defeat them the first time, but they never show the first time. You kinda have to have read the comics back then as well as watch the show to get what they’re referring to.

I even rewatched Pride of the X-Men and that’s the one that deserved a continuation. The animation was better and the dialogue was less cheesy. The biggest complaint on that one was Australian Wolverine. Other than that, it’s far better than the series. I do think they should’ve just done a brand new show altogether with quality animation and voice actors with some good writing and the intent on doing more than a few seasons.

2 hours ago, Big s said:

There’s also quite a bit of character introductions that they just didn’t care about and someone will say something about how difficult it was to defeat them the first time, but they never show the first time. You kinda have to have read the comics back then as well as watch the show to get what they’re referring to.

For sure. My biggest complaint about Apocalypse's first few appearances was that it was so ambiguous how to beat him. I can understand being beaten later on by all the psychics in the realm of psychics, but most of the other times he just quit because his initial plans failed and he chose to skedaddle. Part one of the techno virus two-parter made it clear if it ever came down to a confrontation, he could easily wipe out the entire X-Men.

The show was cool for a lot of reasons, but its writing wasn't up to snuff with a bunch of other cartoons from its era.

Made it a little over halfway through the old kinda crappy X-Men cartoon and something else I don’t remember when I was younger is that Wolverine often gets super angry and then says “Meow”. 

3 hours ago, Big s said:

Made it a little over halfway through the old kinda crappy X-Men cartoon and something else I don’t remember when I was younger is that Wolverine often gets super angry and then says “Meow”. 

I now want to really happen in Deadpool 3! Please!:D

Started those X Men Dark Phoenix episodes on season 3. Towards the end of season 2 Wolverine stopped saying meow and now sounds more like an angry Scooby Doo saying reow instead. I keep nda miss the meow because it made me laugh a little every time it happened.

Season three has slightly better animation than the previous two seasons and doesn’t have that horrible choppiness going on as much, but still needed better voice acting and dialogue. It’s definitely an improvement since the first couple seasons made The Tick seem like Shakespeare. Still pushing forward but this season is a bit longer than the previous ones. I probably won’t finish by the time 97 pops up

40 minutes ago, Old_Nash_II said:

Preview

Wolverine did a yeeow, meow, and a reow in only a minute. Usually he’s only one big grumble every couple episodes.

I’m getting close to the halfway point of season 3 and this one feels very different than the first couple seasons. The voicework and animation are really only a slight bit better, but it feels like a bigger improvement than it actually is. I don’t feel like I’m forcing myself into watching the show anymore. There’s definitely some bad writing hanging around and the voicework could still be better. 
Banshee’s first time showing off his powers is hilarious. He jumps off a cliff and says “eeeeeeeeeeee” and I couldn’t stop laughing.
And my favorite example of bad writing so far is an episode after the Phoenix saga ends and Scott goes back to the orphanage he grew up in. There’s a kid struggling with his mutant powers, so Scott decides to show him he’s not alone and that he’s just like the kid. He takes the kid on a walk through town having a heart to heart talk, and then actually Blows up a random building just to show that he’s also a Mutant. He could’ve shot into the sky or maybe popped a trash can, but no he goes hardcore and destroys a building and they never say if there were people inside or anything. Nobody noticed and there was no reason to do it. I rewound it a couple of times and just couldn’t stop laughing 

I’m still not caught up yet on my rewatch. Just finished season 3 and have two seasons left. Season 3 was a bit of an odd one in that some episodes were animated better than others later on. The voice acting was smoother, but still a bit cringy here and there and some random scenes looked super fantastic compared to the rest of the show. There’s one episode where they went hardcore on the animation for the Blackbird landing and then the rest of the episode was just ok. So far for some reason Professor X always sounds angry, maybe he’ll lighten up in season four. 

33 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Are the animated X-Men shows more representative of the "feel" of the comics?  My only experience with X-Men are the movies...I think I prefer the movie versions of these characters...

It’s kinda the super kidsy version of the feel of the comics at the time. It makes a few assumptions that you are already familiar with the characters 

If there's one thing I feel like I can routinely count on when a new creative team picks up years after the fact, it's retcons.

Spoiler

Pretty disappointing they decided to write in a romantic backstory between Rogue and Magneto. It's not original for this show, but it certainly wasn't hinted at in the 90s show.

1 minute ago, Jeff J said:

If there's one thing I feel like I can routinely count on when a new creative team picks up years after the fact, it's retcons.

Hide contents

Pretty disappointing they decided to write in a romantic backstory between Rogue and Magneto. It's not original for this show, but it certainly wasn't hinted at in the 90s show.

I’m on season 4 and haven’t seen any of that yet. But I do think it would be strange to have a twenty something year old involved with a sixty or seventy or possibly eighty year old dude is a bit odd. Although Magneto is pretty fit for an old timer. Not sure on his exact age, but he looked at least ten if not a bit older when WWII was still going on

I am wondering if they are trying to adapt elements of "X Men 3".

Spoiler

Like story arc of an item that causes mutant to loose power, but with Storm instead of Mystique.
Maybe someone found an old draft and wanted to improve upon it.

And of course, Phoenix saga...even down to beginning that the Jean that Cyclops married might not be the same one.

Edited by roboemo

1 hour ago, MKT said:

The old cartoon had one of the most recognizable themes, and glad they chose to keep it but updated with punchier notes. Here's an extended cut.

It’s a pretty recognizable theme, but I always thought it was bad. I think it’s that cheap synth. Oddly in my rewatch there’s maybe three or four episodes that have a slightly different sound and are way better versions of the same theme.

2 hours ago, lechuck said:

After all these years it still bugs me when seeing Cyclops as the only team member being introduced without his proper outfit. 😄

I think everyone has a favorite outfit for their favorite X-Men and some have gone through a lot of costumes in what felt like a short amount of time. Personally I always like Wolverine in the brown/ yellow suit. To me it still looked super hero with a bigger hint of vicious don’t mess with him kinda look.

40 minutes ago, Big s said:

I think everyone has a favorite outfit for their favorite X-Men and some have gone through a lot of costumes in what felt like a short amount of time. Personally I always like Wolverine in the brown/ yellow suit. To me it still looked super hero with a bigger hint of vicious don’t mess with him kinda look.

I think it's about how Cyke is in his civvies, optic blasting the sky, when his name appears in text on the screen.