sh9000

• 4 weeks later...

This movie was truly awful... The plot made zero effort to make sense and most the characters are unlikable. Even some of the CGI is distractingly bad (underwater stuff). I think I might put it below Eternals. I liked Chadwick, so I thought there were some sweet elements there, but I think the only reason this movie wasn't absolutely destroyed by reviews was sentimentality for him and the fact marvel didn't totally screw up his character post mortem.

As a guy who has had to go through some losses of loved ones, I thought the movie was solid.

I get the mixed bag of emotions that the Queen Mother and Shuri were dealing with throughout the movie.

And the idea of a vibranium arms race and thinking Wakanda is vulnerable makes sense.

No doubt, there’s some bits that are meh, but the film isn’t as bad as say the last Thor or Dr. Strange movies were.

9 hours ago, jenius said:

This movie was truly awful... The plot made zero effort to make sense and most the characters are unlikable. Even some of the CGI is distractingly bad (underwater stuff). I think I might put it below Eternals. I liked Chadwick, so I thought there were some sweet elements there, but I think the only reason this movie wasn't absolutely destroyed by reviews was sentimentality for him and the fact marvel didn't totally screw up his character post mortem.

My thoughts exactly. Apart from the well done funeral and tribute to Chadwick Boseman this film felt like an exercise in why absolute monarchies absolutely suck.

The plot of this film literally revolves around latin Hitler with his chosen superior race fighting black Stalin with her utter disregard for her own people because they both have "family" issues, can't deal with loss, and are both utterly self absorbed narcissists.

Oh yeah, and they both despise anyone that isn't from Wakanda or Atlantis. Which is why Namor is fighting Wakanda... So he can weaken them enough that the rest of the world will gang up on them forcing them into an alliance with Atlantis so he can go to war with the rest of the world.

Yeah....talk about convoluted.

Speaking of the rest of the world, the movie opens with trying to portray countries like the US and France as bad for attempting to steal vibranium from Wakandan research centers using spec ops forces. This leads the Queen to make a scathing speech about territorial sovereignty and respecting Wakanda according to international law.

The problem is you really can't blame other countries for not trusting Wakanda over hoarding vibranium. Yeah they helped stop Thanos, but the entire time before that they were violating territorial sovereignty of other nations, commiting espionage, King T'Chaka commiting murder in LA, shaming the rest of the world into sign the Sokovian accords all while hiding a super powered being of their own, and nearly starting World War III when Killmonger briefly took power.

And then this movie does almost all that in microcosm including adding in freeing a double agent in the CIA that was spying for Wakanda and leaking information after he was arrested and heading to prison.

So much for respecting international law an sovereignty right?

I couldn't get past the fact the Atlantians always knew things they could not know. It's like they were watching the movie with us so they knew everything the audience knew. The entire plot with Riri also makes zero sense and it's the crux if the first half of the movie. They need a scientist to stop her from making machines the CIA is already making? Huh?

Yeah I caught Wakanda Forever on Disney+ and same feeling, just meh overall. There were certainly some parts I liked, but for the most part it was a bit all over the place. And yes, the CG seems to be getting worse, it's distracting at this point, I felt the same way about Multiverse of Madness. It's just like watching live action cartoons, which yeah, pretty much, but I just don't think these newer films feel as grounded with the CG looking like a PS5 game most of the time.

Look back at Captain America the Winter Soldier, still considered my top MCU film by far, just as much CG and money thrown at the special effects but I didn't feel as removed from the setting as I have these newer MCU films. As I'm watching I know I'm just staring at a really glammed up green screen, I get Wakanda isn't real, neither is Atlantis, and CG is necessary for both, but it's just too much, it just doesn't look good in and out of motion. 

Also, I felt the ending was a bit of a cop-out.

Spoiler

What's the point of Shuri becoming the new BP if we have a new T'Challa in the wings? Will she remain BP? For how long? Are we going to get a time jump so they can bring in someone new to be BP again? I just don't think it was necessary, have faith in Shuri as BP or don't bother, it's like they wanted to have their cake and eat it too. 

I'm looking forward to Quantumania, I've loved both Ant-Man films, Rudd is fantastic, I just don't think the general audience gets how big Kang is, and that he's the new Thanos moving forward, we'll see. 

I saw it on Disney Plus, and I'm with @jenius and @renegadeleader1. It was a long, boring film about characters making bad decisions for worse reasons, to the point that I'm questioning if it's mostly positive reception with critics is just fear of deviating from a PC groupthink.

Phase 4 of the MCU was just too all over the map.  

They’re setting up the secret, morally questionable government stuff (Thunderbolts, Valentina, and Sharon Carter).  Whatever the heck the Eternals was supposed to be.  The Young Avengers/replacements for the “old”/retired heroes.  Mutants.  The Skrulls and space/Capt. Marvel stuff.  And then all the multiverse stuff.

And now, it’s too easy for the MCU to fall prey to spamming the multiverse concept for cool cameos and using that idea as a plot-crutch/excuse.

Hopefully, having one major “bad guy” will refocus everything.

But we’ll see.  The best MCU entries were those that focused on the characters and gave us a good story.  Unfortunately, Marvel’s success rate in hitting these two things has been pretty low for Phase 4.

It wasn't as good as the first BP, but it wasn't that bad either. Not the worst movie I've seen and it was entertaining, if yes, a bit convoluted.

Worse Cinema Sin? Killing off Lake Bell! She should never have been hired for a bit part like that!😠

• 1 month later...