questions about Macross DYRL and Zero

sidearmsalpha

Hello all,

after having watched the first 3 episodes of Macross Zero, I'm really fascinated with this prequel to Macross. Is it the prequel to the series or the movie?

What's also really cool is how they are going into the alien technology that was found in the ship and all the mystique behind it and how it has affected the villagers on that island (is this Macross Island?). It's too bad in the original series or movie, we never saw what the ship looked like before and after it crashed. I hope we get to see that in Zero.

One thing I have never understood or I'm think was never revealed in the series or movie (although they do try to explain it in the Robotech novels with Zor having created the ship and sending it to Earth) is why the alien ship was sent to Earth? And why the Zentraedi were after it? It wouldn't make sense for the Zentraedi to be after it just for its technology since they had fleets and fleets of ships that were incredibly huge and much more powerful. In the series, the only thing that keeps them from destroying it is that they want it back intact.

In the movie, Misa explains why the ancient city they were in rose from the ocean, but they still don't explain why The Macross had been sent to Earth or why the Zentraedi were after it. I guess I might have missed something somewhere, but if anyone knows the answers to these questions, I sure would like to know.

In both TV show and movie, it's assumed that the ship that would become the Macross was a derelict from the force that the Zentradi consider their enemy (TV: Supervision Army, Movie: Meltrandi) left ont he planet to serve as a "booby trap" for any Zentradi forces coming to investigate.

It has been stated "officially" that SN is going to use the TV chonology as the basis for all future Macross works. Also, SN has apparently decided that for the sake of the chronology, DYRL is going to be considered a "fictionalized movie within the Macross universe". So M0 is apparently a prequel to the series.

The island in M0 is called Mayan. There's no such thing as "Macross Island". In Macross, as opposed to RT, the Macross landed on South Ataria Island.

Since Macross isn't RT, there's no Zor to worry about. As Pat said, the Macross was a boobytrapped derelict which was deliberately or accidentally sent on a collision course with Earth.

See section 5.2.2 here.

Here's a question:

What/Why did the protoculture change humanity? What purpose? Was it to eventually find another sentient species or was it for some strategic purpose (They did engineer the Zjentohlauedy, after all). Maybe for use as anima spirita? (if you belive M7)

Here's a question:

What/Why did the protoculture change humanity? What purpose? Was it to eventually find another sentient species or was it for some strategic purpose (They did engineer the Zjentohlauedy, after all). Maybe for use as anima spirita? (if you belive M7)

The Protoclture ventured out into space, and found themselves to be the only sentien beings like themselves, so set about evolving & colonizing other worlds (could have sworn star trek ripped that off didn't they?)

Here's a question:

The Protoclture ventured out into space, and found themselves to be the only sentien beings like themselves, so set about evolving & colonizing other worlds (could have sworn star trek ripped that off didn't they?)

Yeah, that WAS a NextGen idea, which places it pretty firmly after Macross.

I keep trying to attribute it to the original series.

Hey guys,

questions about The Macross. Why was it dubbed "The Macross"? In Robotech, they tried to incorporate the name by calling the island on which it crashed, Macross Island. Does that name have any significance in the Japanese series? Is it a Japanese word that means something?

Macross is an acronym for Macro-Space-Ship, MacroSS in other words. Seems a little foolish that it landed on macro space ship island :)

Macro Space Ship Island?

I wanted to move there once, but the property taxes were killer.

:p

sidearmsalpha- The problem here is that you're confusing the RT storyline with the original Macross storyline. Although the basic gist of the first Macross series and Robotech: The Macross Saga is similar, HG/Macek made many notable changes that sent RT into a different direction after The Macross Saga.

As Azrael pointed out, those two links are your best bet for complete understanding of Macross and the differences between it and the RT-version.

Enjoy, and good luck.

Hey guys,

questions about The Macross. Why was it dubbed "The Macross"? In Robotech, they tried to incorporate the name by calling the island on which it crashed, Macross Island. Does that name have any significance in the Japanese series? Is it a Japanese word that means something?

Because calling it the "SDF-1" is like calling the USS Enterprise the "CVAN-65" :p

Hey guys,

Because calling it the "SDF-1" is like calling the USS Enterprise the "CVAN-65" :p

Or NCC-1701 (A, B, C, D, E...)

:huh:

Macross is an acronym for Macro-Space-Ship, MacroSS in other words. Seems a little foolish that it landed on macro space ship island :)

I've never heard that before... Sounds like a good explanation though.

I've always heard the old "burden-load, mega road" evolution of the name.

I've never heard that before... Sounds like a good explanation though.

I've always heard the old "burden-load, mega road" evolution of the name.

Not to mention the apocryphal stories that Macross is a bastardization of Macbeth.

Uh. . . I'm pretty sure you know this. . . but Star Trek has been around since 1967. And, the concept of the "preserver" civilization that went around seeding the galaxy with humanoids was conceptualized long before Macross hit the airwaves nearly two decades later.

H

Uh. . . I'm pretty sure you know this. . . but Star Trek has been around since 1967. And, the concept of the "preserver" civilization that went around seeding the galaxy with humanoids was conceptualized long before Macross hit the airwaves nearly two decades later.

H

I don't think that concept was ever explored in the original series (although I could be wrong).

I think what he's referring to is the Star Trek: TNG episode where they find out each race, Ferengi, Romulan, Klingon and Human has a certain peice of a genetic puzzle that, when combined with the others, maps out something or other and let's them all know that they were 'seeded' by an ancient civilization millions and millions of years ago.

So, pretty much, every race are kissin' cousins.

Not to mention that quack Erich von Daniken. He's been around since the early 70's.

I don't think that concept was ever explored in the original series (although I could be wrong).

I think what he's referring to is the Star Trek: TNG episode where they find out each race, Ferengi, Romulan, Klingon and Human has a certain peice of a genetic puzzle that, when combined with the others, maps out something or other and let's them all know that they were 'seeded' by an ancient civilization millions and millions of years ago.

It was explored quite a bit in the novels, role-playing game documentation, and other pieces. Though, not explicitly in the original series episodes themselves.

Then again, Macross, until recently, hasn't been explicit about these things until recently either.

My only point is that Star Trek did not rip these things off. It's not exactly a terribly original or hard-to-conceive idea to begin with. I remember reading about the "Preservers" in the early eighties when I was (sadly) a Star Trek fan.

People always want to believe that their favorite show/book/movie is the wellspring for all good things. . . and anything else similar had to be derivative.

I remember when the ST:TNG crowd was all up-in-arms over Star Trek V "stealing" the theme music from the Next Generation TV series. Yet, they were so ignorant of their own favorite show that they didn't realize that the music for the TV series was adapted from the theme to the first Star Trek Movie.

H

A lot the questions in this thread should probably go in the Newbie section...in fact some of them have already appeared there. For example, origin of the name "Macross".

Regarding the idea of aliens influencing human evolution--yup, it's an old theme in the SF genre. 2001 also has it.

A lot the questions in this thread should probably go in the Newbie section...in fact some of them have already appeared there. For example, origin of the name "Macross".

Regarding the idea of aliens influencing human evolution--yup, it's an old theme in the SF genre. 2001 also has it.

Bah. Keep it here. The megathreads are a pain in the ass to sift through and a just plain bad idea.

But anyway, you are correct that the idea of a humanity being the result of extra terrestrial intervention is old. Older than SF, even. It's a common theme in most religions.

H

:o So that's why they all speak English!!! :p

OK, stupid question, since this is gonna be the DYRL question thead: what's the differences between the DYRL and series VF-1's (other than the fact they're all VF-1X's)

The VF-1s in DYRL? are all updated 2030s versions. Most of the improvements are internal. They have improved electronics and engines. If you look at line art of the cockpits you can see the diffence.

Also the VEFR-1 Funny Chinese has been replaced by the VE-1 Elintseeker. And the VF-1D is apparently no longer used for training as a dedicated trainer, the VT-1, is now available.

The VF-1D never was a dedicated trainer--but you're correct (as far as I know) that it never appears in DYRL.

Differences between DYRL and TV Valks that I can think of:

VF-1S "arrows" on the head are colored differently. (Black in series, trim color in DYRL.)

Details of the small thruster nozzles on Super armor are drawn differently. (Difference may or may not be reflected in the Yamato toys.) Also, color of Super armor and shape of the arm armor is different. (This is shown in the 1/48 VF-1J, but not in the 1/60 Hikaru, Max, and Millia.)

VF-1A head may have gone through a redesign.

TV Valks usually use AMM missiles (clusters of three) on their wings, though they get RMS missiles in at least one episode; DYRL Valks use UMM and RMS missiles.

Internals of cockpits are different.

Edit: correction re: color of super armor.

Edited by ewilen

The megathreads are a pain in the ass to sift through...

word.

they are a intresting thing to read for the hell of it, but searching through one for a specific tidbit of information is a chore like no other. iv'e been slowly working my way up the macross newbie thread for over a week now!