The next alternator, mazda rx-8

Mr.Sci-Fi

It would be nice if they could add an extra hinge that would let the doors fold down between the car's roof and the rest of the bot. That way he could have a "wingless" bot mode like cartoon Jazz...

Edit: Given that most alternator designs will have a remold/repaint as another character, I'm betting this general design will be released as Jazz and one other bot, possibly Cliffjumper.

post-26-1073946009.jpg

Edited by Californium

You were making an argument about bang for the buck and I noted it was a ridiculous comparison. Anyone buying a new NSX doesn't really care about a "deal" because they obviously don't need one. People spending 70k for a performing car don't look at 30k cars as competitors, even if their performance is similar. That's what i was talking about. The NSX *IS* still a faster car. Yes it's over twice as much. Just like a Murcielago is faster than a Z06 and costs much more than 2x as much. Is the Murcielago worth it? If you have the money it is. If you don't, then it probably isn't.

Believe me, RX7club.net has dealt with plenty of NSX owners who cry like babies and go on and on about "prestige" and all that other crap when they get emabressed by much cheaper RX-7s. I suppose when you spend $70k on a Honda, you gotta reassure yourself all you can. Afterall, buying an NSX means you can't afford a Ferrari.

Honestly though, it's not a matter of being able to afford it. It's a matter of getting better or equal performance for a lower price. You make it sound like people have thousands of dollars just to throw away, and most don't. Buying an NSX for the prestige and honor is lame. Buy a BMW or a Mercedes or a Porsche or a Ferrari, don't buy an overpriced underpowered exotic car made by the same people that make electric generators. Hondas are good cars, but they don't have the prestige that apparently makes the NSX "worth it."

Regarding price, I looked it up on MSN Carpoint before making the post.  Not hard to do a little research instead of shooting from the hip. ;)  Speaking of price, the reason it's so expensive is due to two factors: 1) all aluminum body and 2) Honda insists on a minimally automated approach to building the NSX.  It's this latter one particularly that is price intensive.  Last issue regarding price... NOONE pays MSRP for an NSX.  Look at the FAQ on NSX Prime and u'll see a new one today goes for mid to high 70s not its $89k MSRP.  Many don't even pay invoice! 

$70k is still a lot of money. Keep in mind the NSX is supposed to be an exotic, and it makes less than 300bhp. Prestige and build quality is part of the equation, but a big part of an exotic car is the power. People buy expensive Lambos and Porches because they're fast. Aluminum and hand construction is one thing, but is it necessary? No. The FD weighs less than the NSX and doesn't use any aircraft grade alumnium. Although I'll concede on the build quality argument, even though my Mom's Civic is suffering from leprosy of the body panels.

The NSX is still here and the RX-7 is not.  Toyota is more interested in luxury than performance these days and Mada (Ford?) is trying to stay alive, much like Nissan.  And I let the overrated and overpriced comment on the S2000 go.  Find another roadster from the same year that can beat it and u'll be paying a LOT more (hint: Porsche Boxter S) and revisit this same argument from the other side. ;) 

The NSX isn't still around because it sells well. It's still here because Acura needs a flagship "really cool" car. Mazda is actually doing quite well, and was teh only part of the Ford family that turned a profit last year. Not to mention the fact that Mazda is releasing some of the most exciting cars coming out of Japan. The 4-door Mazdaspeed Protege will outhandle an Integra Type R, the RX-8 is a sports coupe that actually has function and can actually perform, the Mazdaspeed Miata improves the best handling car selling for under $40k. Mazda is certainly making more interesting vehicles than any other Japanese auto maker. Honda gave up being unique a while ago.

"A well known German Sports Car"

Duh, it's obvious. The prototype they were originally working on was Jazz as a Porsche.

So I find it hard to believe they're going to package the RX-8 as Jazz.

I'm still waiting on a release date for Hound, as we're not going to see the RX-8 until after Hound is released.

Then after that? I hear it's a NSX from a semi-reliable source.

Post about toys...

My first impression when I saw this was that it will be Jazz. Alternator's aren't totally sticking to the original colors or original cars. Smokescreen was tri-color originally. The interview with the designer also makes me thing it will be Jazz since it sounds like Porsche turned them down.

The comment about the American sports car designer makes me wonder. I had heard a Corvette was in the works, I wonder now. The comment about Dodge is encouraging. Maybe it means we'll see more Dodges like maybe a Durango. VW is also a no-go since they don't want their designs used for war toys.

I really want to see more variety in the transformations. Four out of 5 have the doors sticking out like wings and the front of the car as the chest. I really wish Hound didn't have doors or had removable doors to be more like the original and a little different from everyone else. I also would like to see the classic Side Swide/Red Alert transformation used.

Post about toys...

My first impression when I saw this was that it will be Jazz. Alternator's aren't totally sticking to the original colors or original cars. Smokescreen was tri-color originally. The interview with the designer also makes me thing it will be Jazz since it sounds like Porsche turned them down.

The reason why smokescreen was given the scheme he was given, was because the original smokescreen was also based loosely off a real race car I think.

The comment about the American sports car designer makes me wonder. I had heard a Corvette was in the works, I wonder now. The comment about Dodge is encouraging. Maybe it means we'll see more Dodges like maybe a Durango. VW is also a no-go since they don't want their designs used for war toys.

Wasn't the original Bumblebee (think that was hsi name-- it's been a long time) a VW beetle? I think one of the new Mini Coopers would make a cool trasnformer, and the same is different from the other cars so it might give them a chance to change up the transformation.

RX-7,NSX,S2000 = all cars I wish I could own and drive.

Im am fortunate to have a friend who has a NSX and I reluctantly had to drive his S2000 home when he bought it (haha who am I kidding? When he asked if I could drive it home while he takes his NSX I was like SURE THING anything you want!!!!!!) and my dad has a 93 R1 RX7 which I think kicks so much ass. So yeah I am luck that I got to drive them all. Plus my other friend in his WRX now all I need to drive is a Supra, Evo, and Skyline and Im set for life in terms of cars I want to drive before I die. Oh and test drives dotn count. I mean driving to push the limits of one's self and the car's potential.

Heh, I just recently test drove a 04 S2000 (with the bigger 2.2l engine)and an Evolution. Will come down to whether I want a RWS roadster or an AWD sedan. Also test drove 350Z but Evo knocked that out of the picture. Also considering low end BMW and Rustang (wish F-bodies had changed a generation and upgraded tech instead of going the way of the DODO if i was gonna do USDM muscle car)...

But anyways, they would both make good toys for Binaltech.

YLM, u can have the last word. All I found this reply doing was reiterating what I've already said so just re-read page 5. :)

RX-7,NSX,S2000 = all cars I wish I could own and drive.

Im am fortunate to have a friend who has a NSX and I reluctantly had to drive his S2000 home when he bought it (haha who am I kidding? When he asked if I could drive it home while he takes his NSX I was like SURE THING anything you want!!!!!!) and my dad has a 93 R1 RX7 which I think kicks so much ass. So yeah I am luck that I got to drive them all. Plus my other friend in his WRX now all I need to drive is a Supra, Evo, and Skyline and Im set for life in terms of cars I want to drive before I die. Oh and test drives dotn count. I mean driving to push the limits of one's self and the car's potential.

Hmmm Skyline would be nice to drive too. Man too many cars to like and not enough dough. If only I had enough to own a hangar with a line up of performance import cars and some classic import cars..... that would be fun.

Jazz has to be a Porsche, otherwise it wouldn't be Jazz. Cliffjumper is a possibility for the identity of the RX-8.

Smokescreens original scheme was based on an actual racing teams colours - I forget the name though but the scheme was available on some cars in the Gran Turismo games. Of course we all know that Jazz's was also based to a true racing team too B))

If only I had enough to own a hangar with a line up of performance import cars and some classic import cars..... that would be fun.

Simple: Identity theft. Steal Jay Leno's life there you go!!! Hangar of cars. Be it mostly vintage cars. But hey beggars can be choosers

Post about toys...

The reason why smokescreen was given the scheme he was given, was because the original smokescreen was also based loosely off a real race car I think.

thumbwhite.jpg

Smokescreen was based upon the Electramotive Devendorf Datsun 280ZX Turbo Racer in the bottom corner of this picture.

Jazz has to be a Porsche, otherwise it wouldn't be Jazz. Cliffjumper is a possibility for the identity of the RX-8.

Smokescreens original scheme was based on an actual racing teams colours - I forget the name though but the scheme was available on some cars in the Gran Turismo games. Of course we all know that Jazz's was also based to a true racing team too B))

Fans may want Jazz to be a Porsche, but nothing says that he has to be. Side Swipe received a new vehicle form. Isn't the Japanese for Side Swipe Lamboru or something. Was that based on the original car mode?

Post about toys...

thumbwhite.jpg

Smokescreen was based upon the Electramotive Devendorf Datsun 280ZX Turbo Racer in the bottom corner of this picture.

I found a pic of the real car.

post-26-1074018936_thumb.jpg

A car isn't a jewelry, cars aren't designed as a way to show off wealth.

*COUGH COUGH* Excuse me? You'd better take a look at the driver of the next Viper, Vette or Bimmer that you see in traffic. There's LOTS of rich folks who like to buy expensive toys just so they can flaunt them in fron of us plebians. <_<

Oh yeah, nice looking toy and all. I like the articulation.

Fans may want Jazz to be a Porsche, but nothing says that he has to be. Side Swipe received a new vehicle form. Isn't the Japanese for Side Swipe Lamboru or something. Was that based on the original car mode?

Sideswipe was a Lamborghini Contach. It's too bad that Jazz probably won't be a porsche, but it would be cool to see a 911 Turbo as a Transformer

True, Jazz does not have to ba a Porsche. Smokescreen/Bluestreak/Prowl were all Datsun/Nissans in G1 and now two of them are Subarus, and Sideswipe was originally a Lamborghini and now it's a Dodge.

But......, the reason it can't be Jazz is that, so far, one of the things they have been consistant about is that they kept the color of vehicles from G1:

Smokescreen-Still mostly blue with racing markings

Sideswipe-Still bright red

Hound-Still dark army green

Bluestreak-Still silver

So I say, yes, Jazz could be a Mazda (though I'd be really diappointed), but I really don't think he'd be red.

...not to mention that there is a passing resemblence to the G1 heads with the Alternator series.

...I still say his head looks like Magnus. Wouldn't THAT be scary?

Edit: Tom, gotta love the R Kelly parody. I'm glad that show's back. :D

Edited by GreenGuy42

While we're mentioning the running color-inspired theme, I'd like to speculate on upcoming Alternators for just a second. Now, I have NO clue for certain who has and who has not agreed to allow Takara/Hasbro to license their vehicles other than the ones we have already seen. Just because Subaru has licensed the WRX does not mean they have agreed to do anything else. It's fun to guess, though!

With that having been said, I've given a lot of thought to Sideswipe in particular. I thought the Viper was an EXCELLENT choice (you may disagree, but I stand by it) for a high-profile car for Sideswipe. If you recall, Sideswipe and Sunstreaker were brothers, right? Well, then, in keeping with the color theme, I'd love nothing more than to see Takara/Hasbro find some miraculous way to arrange a license with Ford to do a yellow Ford GT. That's another excellent American-made high-profile car which would make a perfect "brotherly" counterpart to the Sideswipe Viper.

What concerns me, though, is that in the interview with Kobayashi I read on page 3 of this thread, one of the things he mentions is that "We had no choice but to scrap that and start with a certain well-known American sports car, but we couldn't get the OK for that, either." I am dying to know which sports car he's referring to. Please, God, don't let it be Ford who would back out of this kind of opportunity... I would be very displeased if I knew that some Ford exec said "no" to having Transformers made using the designs of some of my favorite automobiles.

But I digress. More speculation from me and ONLY me!

Unless I am way off the mark, Subaru, Dodge, Chevrolet, and Jeep have all got licensing deals. There are some mighty fine vehicles from each of these companies which would make excellent Transformers. Keep in mind that not all Transformers are supercars!

Subaru - The Outback would be good.

Dodge - The Durango! I'd love to see some good trucks. I'd even like to see an Intrepid.

Chevrolet - Man, we gotta have that new Corvette. I'm hoping that's the one that's licensed. How about a huge honkin' Suburban or Avalanche? Even the SSR might be interesting.

Jeep - Have you seen the new Rescue? I would LOVE to see that one!

Let the guessing games begin!

Unless I am way off the mark, Subaru, Dodge, Chevrolet, and Jeep have all got licensing deals. There are some mighty fine vehicles from each of these companies which would make excellent Transformers. Keep in mind that not all Transformers are supercars!

Not quite...As far as I know, no one has confirmed that there will be any Alternators based on licensed Chevrolet vehicles. Although there are rumours that Tracks will be a Corvette, but I don't think we have anything offical from Takara or Hasbro. What we do know are confirmed licensing deals:

Subaru

Damlier Chrysler (Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Mercedes...)

Mazda

What concerns me, though, is that in the interview with Kobayashi I read on page 3 of this thread, one of the things he mentions is that "We had no choice but to scrap that and start with a certain well-known American sports car, but we couldn't get the OK for that, either." I am dying to know which sports car he's referring to. Please, God, don't let it be Ford who would back out of this kind of opportunity... I would be very displeased if I knew that some Ford exec said "no" to having Transformers made using the designs of some of my favorite automobiles.

Well, Mazda is owned is by the Ford Motor Company and it appears we are going to see an Alternator Mazda RX-8. Make of that what you will, but I am not giving up on seeing an Alternator Mustang GT just yet... :)

Well, Mazda is owned is by the Ford Motor Company and it appears we are going to see an Alternator Mazda RX-8. Make of that what you will, but I am not giving up on seeing an Alternator Mustang GT just yet... :)

I'm with you on that. I'd LOVE to see a blue one, hopefully similar to the Mustang that graces Motortrend's cover... :rolleyes:

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but curiosity got the better of me.

Do we have any confirmation yet as to which TF this will be or even if it will indeed be red? (remember seeing a photoshopped white version somewhere and it really would make a nice Jazz...) Any news at all?

And do we know if we are going to see any Chevrolet TF Alternators? Makes me wonder if they are the American company that said no. I'm not a Chevy fan, but that would still suck! What think?

Subaru - The Outback would be good.

Dodge - The Durango! I'd love to see some good trucks. I'd even like to see an Intrepid.

Chevrolet - Man, we gotta have that new Corvette. I'm hoping that's the one that's licensed. How about a huge honkin' Suburban or Avalanche? Even the SSR might be interesting.

Jeep - Have you seen the new Rescue? I would LOVE to see that one!

Let the guessing games begin!

first of all, where does a chevy lisence fit into this? if anything i would say chevy was the one who rejected the lisencing, for the corvette i imagine because ford owns mazda so they obviously didnt turn down lisencing, and as someone else already mentioned dodge and jeep are both part of daimler chrysler

blah!...Wanky rotory engine powered street cars don't impress me...the engines are kinda cool but only because they arn't the typical multi-cylinder affairs, and they can be okay reliability wise if properly maintained...but the engine design has some rather serious flaws for day to day street use in an automobile...sealing has always and will always be a problem with them, and this is due entirely to the design of the engine itself...

RX-7's (and especialy the near "religious" but rather clueless followers) are part of the reason I'm not an automechanic anymore :p

I am a huge fan of the RX-7 latest generation model, but this RX-8 doesn't get me going very much... The car looks good from the back and the side, but the front end is rather lame IMO. I don't really like cars that look like they are smiling.... Looks like one of the Cheveron animated cars. Now if this car had a more sleek front end like the RX-7 it would be kick ass.

As for rotary engines... I think they are great... I like the sound. I've never heard of them having reliability problems, but I'm not really up to speed on their history. I've driven an RX-7, and that is one smooth car.

For the new import sports cars though, I would take the Nissan 350 Z over the RX-8.

Cool. A transformer of the car I own. I'm definitely buying it.

By the way I love the RX-8. It shifts smoothe, the interior is freakin awesome, and I get so many looks when I'm driving. The ride is also smooth, the engine isn't so strong that it will jerk your head back when accelerating, its just a great drive and a perfect car for me. And suicide doors. I like how the transformer has them just like the car. The articulation on the toy looks awesome. How big do you guys think the robot will be and in what scale is it?