Hasegawa SV-262 HS DRAKEN III

Darth Mingus

Do any other the background Drakens you see in the "hanger castle dungeon music hall boarding school what ever the hell that thing it they call a Base on Windermere" have less showy paint jobs like the VF-31A units do?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mines on the way and I have a ton of Alclad II Chrome and Polished Brass to simulate the gold.

I'm thinking about perhaps doing the entire airframe in Chrome then making the blue more a Candy Coat than a solid flat blue...like with Alclad Candy Cobalt Blue Enamel.

Edited by NZEOD

well that seems to be the way they look on the series, Flashy as hell more like Knights in polished armour than stealth combat planes. Least thats my take on it and some of those Gundam models have looked amazing in Candy paints so why not a little bling for Macross.

My thoughts exactly! If I didn't already have about 40 unfinished kits of various subjects to build, I'd have nabbed this one and likely done something very similar. Living vicariously through other's builds is about as good as it's going to get for awhile.

I'm working on 3 Wave Destroids plus the dioramas each sits on with troops and vehicles, a handful of GIMix Valks and their Airfield Airshow display, some more GIMix Battroids, Valks and Gerwalks and the 1/100 Zent pods they are fighting, 6 VF-31As, a VF-31S, 31C and 31J in GIMix on a huge Carrier deck, an ES-11 in flight and another on a Carrier Deck with crew around it....

plus 33 1/72 Valk Fighters in various stages for the wall display...

Not quite overwhelming yet... but close.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The 262Hs has two pairs of extra parts: a pair of right-angle wing joints and a pair of peg joints. This points to an eventual Lil' Draken kit. (Alternatively, you can use the right-angle joints to simply pose the 262 with wings up for storage or maintenance or whatever.)

Oh yeah, how did that turn out by the way? Good, I hope.

My guess is the instructions for the Lil' Draken will call for the the right-angle connector to correctly situate the wings, then drilling a hole in the wings that the peg piece pegs into for the Lil' Drakens.

They could just provide extra wings with the Lil' Drakens molded with holes, but drilling it wouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Of course, this is all speculative, so meh.

I think it might be that Bandai got an exclusivity deal on 1/72-scale VF-31 models. There's nothing to back that up aside from the fact that Hasegawa didn't get the rights to Frontier and release their VF-25F kit until 2013. I'm not sure how all the merchandising rights get strewn about, but at least with Delta it seems like things are a bit more evenly/fairly distributed among the various companies (Bandai, Tomytec, Minimum Factory, Hasegawa, etc.).

I wouldn't be surprised if a Hasegawa VF-31 doesn't come out until 2020, shame as that might be.

Well, the 31 is the protagonist mecha, and tends to be more popular for it. I know we here like the 262 more, but general audiences are probably more exposed to and more likely to like the 31 over it. That has to count for something. For a lot, actually, by my guess.

Then again, it could also be that Hasegawa simply prefers the 262 design and/or hates the 31, too.

Edited by kajnrig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So Hasegawa has 3 variations of the SV-262 released/announced, but only two VF-31s so far. Kinda odd? I guess?

Still, given that it is Hasegawa, I have confidence that they will do a full series of VF-31s in time. Including the VF-31E which Bandai for some reason seems to have decided to skip.

And seeing so many versions of the SV-252, and Hasegawa's past releases of the SV-51, it seems all the more strange that they skipped the VF-27 entirely. Model companies can be inscrutable...

For what it's worth, the SV-262Ba and this Lil' Draken release are both limited edition releases. Same (probably) with the VF-31A and all the other -31 variants.

A Bandai -31E will almost assuredly be P-Bandai exclusive. I mean, I hope not, but it probably will. I don't know if Bandai's Delta kits have done all that well for them, all things considered.