Whats your favorite dirty pleasure Scifi flick?

GobotFool

And Waterworld was actually fairly well-received by the critics. And as I recall, it made a rather respecible about of money. Not enough to ever cover the costs of making it, mind you, but...

It made 88M domestically, and the budget was 175M, not including marketing. Definitely a commercial flop, since it was before the magical powers of DVD (which makes any movie profitable now).

True but DVD for some reason has sparked a weird "cult" of movie buyers unlike any that VHS or Beta ever had. You see people re-releasing and re-buying the same movies over and over just due to a small amount of added material... you also see people repackaging older movies and making a mint at it just by adding bonus features.

I remember back when Beta and VHS first came out on the market... sure people bought them but not in the numbers that people are buying DVDs... plus DVDs are the "eternal media" so people are more likely to buy them now knowing they will not degrate like tape.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Traci Lords classic "Not of This Earth" it was good for so many reasons. Immediately off the top of my head i can think of two.

Space Balls was great. but what about the second Conan movie it was horrible. And i have to say the Evil Dead trilogy is highly overrated. I personally don't care for anything Bruce Campbell has done except for Spider-Man.

True but DVD for some reason has sparked a weird "cult" of movie buyers unlike any that VHS or Beta ever had. You see people re-releasing and re-buying the same movies over and over just due to a small amount of added material... you also see people repackaging older movies and making a mint at it just by adding bonus features.

I remember back when Beta and VHS first came out on the market... sure people bought them but not in the numbers that people are buying DVDs... plus DVDs are the "eternal media" so people are more likely to buy them now knowing they will not degrate like tape.

Damn, what he said. :)

The only thing I have to mention is that DVD purchasing is far beyond "cult" status. It is definitely mainstream. Everyone buys DVDs, and almost everyone buy a lot of them.

Christ! There are so many bad movies in which I love! Here are a few:

Disney's The Black Hole

Soldier

Battle Beyond The Stars

Krull

Lifeforce

Yeah, some people already mentioned a few of these, but I love them also!

Aaaah, Lifeforce.

When I was younger It was all about the boobies, and they are so plentiful in that movie, aah, Mathilda May.

Of course, afterwards, I noticed that there are alot of really good actors in that film, like Patrick Stewart for example.

Best line in that film...

Clooney - "Now is my crap together, or is my crap together!?"

i like:

Clooney: Did they look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a f**k how crazy they are.

Krauts in Space (Starship Troopers the Movie): The entire movie reeked of Nazi symbolism and it basicly used the book as Toilet Paper, but it's as funny as it is absurd.

*>!SLAP!<* :angry:

First of all, we don't use kraut here or any other words of the sort.

Second; Nazis weren't the first, last, or only party to use propaganda. In fact it is stated that it was specifically based on AMERICAN propaganda films.

now that I have the idiocy out of the way...

You are correct that it DID use the book as toilet paper, and it IS as funny and absurd as space insects fighting a war with humans... oh wait.. :p

You are correct that it DID use the book as toilet paper, and it IS as funny and absurd as space insects fighting a war with humans... oh wait.. :p

There was a Starship Troopers Book!!!???

I thought that movie was based on the Starcraft video game.

Krauts in Space (Starship Troopers the Movie): The entire movie reeked of Nazi symbolism and it basicly used the book as Toilet Paper, but it's as funny as it is absurd.

Second; Nazis weren't the first, last, or only party to use propaganda. In fact it is stated that it was specifically based on AMERICAN propaganda films.

I liked Starship Troopers only for the violence and gore. I keep hearing the book was better. Does anyone have a link or can tell me or piont me to the direction were I can find out th e differences?

And for my favorite dirty pleasure sci-fi flick, it 5th Element. I just can't get enough of a topless Millia Jovovich, or an ambiguously gay Chris Tucker.

Leloo: "Multi-pass!"

:o:o:o

Robert Heinlen wrote the original book somewhere around 1959. Felt much more like a political/military study than a sci-fi war book.

I liked Starship Troopers only for the violence and gore. I keep hearing the book was better. Does anyone have a link or can tell me or piont me to the direction were I can find out th e differences?

And for my favorite dirty pleasure sci-fi flick, it 5th Element. I just can't get enough of a topless Millia Jovovich, or an ambiguously gay Chris Tucker.

Leloo: "Multi-pass!"

Actually Chris Tucker was far from gay in 5th element. He had them lined up and he also bagged the stewardess during takeoff.

Excellent movie.

"You know what I like. A killer. Cold, clean, methodical. Now a real killer when picking up the ZF-1 would have immediately asked about the little red button on the bottom of the gun."

I'd like to apologise for using the term "Kraut". I should have realised that some people may take offence to it. And now for something compleatly different.

SkullLeaderVF-X, here is a link to a site that has a great comparison between the Book and Movie versions of Starship Troopers.

ChrisW's Thoughts on Starship Troopers.

I'd like to apologise for using the term "Kraut". I should have realised that some people may take offence to it. And now for something compleatly different.

SkullLeaderVF-X, here is a link to a site that has a great comparison between the Book and Movie versions of Starship Troopers.

That was a very interesting read. Thanks.

Anubis wrote:

Actually Chris Tucker was far from gay in 5th element. He had them lined up and he also bagged the stewardess during takeoff.

Excellent movie.

I know...But still I kept getting that vibe from him. Oh wells.He was still great in that movie as Ruby Rod. :lol:

Capt_Bob wrote:

Thanks for the link Capt_Bob. :)

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Mad Max wasn't bad!! :angry:

You have heard the american sound dub, right?

Compare that to the original Aussie dialogue track and tell me you don't laugh every time you watch the americanized version...

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

anybody ever see/hear of "bad boy bobby"? SOme weird ausie/kiwi film I saw parts of while living in london. Besides the guy getting raped in prison the scene that stands out in my mind is the guy beating a saran-wrapped cat against a table out of boredom :blink:

Mad max 1 and 2 do rock even dubbed just 'cause of the cars. Ford maveric=amc javalin

Barbarrella anyone? About a guilty a pleasure as possible

The one chick in red pants about to suffer the borer worms in flash gordon was pretty hot :rolleyes:

spawn. Anyone who knows me...

dune?

cast a deadly spell

island of dr maroe

other crap worth mentioning...

critters

ghoulies

thunderbirds are a go

the terminator

alien

event horizon

the time machine

raise the titanic

2000 leagues under the sea

"something island" maybe mysterious island? Where some fools evade the civil war by going of course in a hot air balloon and land on captain nimo's island

anything forom mystery science theater 3000

wargames

tao zero

invasion of the body snatchers

omega code

night of the comet

maximum overdrive

watership down - the rabits were robots... didn't you know?

blade runner

robot jox

them

the thing

it came from outer space

amazon bimbo in dinasaur hell

there are many more not worth mentioning and a few worth mentioning my drunk ass can't remember at the moment.

Event Horizon and Hackers :p

amen to Event Horizon... the movie as a whole didn't attract me that much, but raised a very good question that I use as a plot device when writing science fiction: How the **** do you know what the other end of the wormhole opens to on that very first test run????

Hackers was so bad (from a late 90s/early 21st century POV), but also so cool (from an early/mid 90s POV)... gonna have to pull it out again just to giggle at it again...

Event Horizon and Hackers  :p

amen to Event Horizon... the movie as a whole didn't attract me that much, but raised a very good question that I use as a plot device when writing science fiction: How the **** do you know what the other end of the wormhole opens to on that very first test run????

and more importantly, it finally answers the question as to what the penalty is for breaking a law of physics. ;)

:o:o:o

Robert Heinlen wrote the original book somewhere around 1959. Felt much more like a political/military study than a sci-fi war book.

LOL, I thought the absence of the Protoss would have been a tip-off.

The Starship Troopers novel was directly responsible for inspiring the original Gundam. They basically ripped off the power suit concept and scaled it up and called it a mobile suit.

I have 2 letters for you:

LD.

:D

And no, DVDs are not "eternal". Two words:

Laser Rot.

It's happened to a couple of CDs I bought back in the 1990s. They are bound to happen to the DVDs in a couple of years.

Event Horizon and Hackers  :p

I loved hackers also. Ceral Killer was funny.

Hackers is worth multiple, multiple viewings just for the young, short haired, unearthly beauty of Angelina Jolie.

But I can't really say that Cereal Killer was all that funny.