Are 1/48 Valks still sought after?

Dr. Z

I'm kinda of a noob yet I have a fairly large collection of Macross Valks (I collect the toys but have never seen the shows). I was looking at my old 1/48 VF-1J the other day (the first Valk I ever got - thank you A3U!) and I was wondering if today was just all about the new 1/60 ones or if the 1/48 were still sought after?

Edited by Dr. Z

The 1/60 V2 definitely diminished the love affair with the 1/48 though there's usually somewhere out there looking to buy a 1/48 still. All things considered, they've held their value from MSRP very well. If you remember a time though when 1/48s demanded premiums over MSRP, for the most part that's gone.

It seems only the special editions and exclusives can still generate a bidding frenzy when they show up on auction.

Here is a listing of recent closed auctions for 1/48 Yamato VF-1's to give you an idea of their current market values....

http://closedsearch.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch?p=1%2F48+VF-1+%E3%82%84%E3%81%BE%E3%81%A8&aq=-1&oq=&x=40&y=24&ei=UTF-8&slider=0&auccat=0

I think everybody should have one, as they have some cool features and a nice presence. And their are some color schemes we will probably never see again.

I like my Camo low Viz quite a bit, but if I had to pick investing money into a line, the 1/60 is a lot more satisfactory in terms of finish, proportion, and looks.

I can see it appealing to folks who like to customize, as there is more room for detail, but once you see the flaws in the 1/48, they tend to stick out in your mind in my opinion. I think fighter or GERWALK is their best mode. I am also not one to think bigger is better in terms of toys.

I think if you can get a nice 1/60 for $160-200 bucks I wouldn't pay $300 for a 1/48. That's like 2 for 1. haha. You could get one of the more rare 1/60's for that.

I think $150-200 is a fair price for any 1/48 on terms of what you get, though the rare ones will go for more for somebody who loves 1/48.

Edited by Gakken85

Guest davidwhangchoi

this looks like a legit no shill bids ebay auction syle for a 1/48 low viz that ended recently,

low viz 1/48 ended at 283 + 30 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamato-1-48-Macross-VF-1A-LOW-VISIBILTY-VALKYRIE-MIB-vis-gray-limited-edition-/131420535916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e99463c6c

Edited by davidwhangchoi

The 1/48 Yamato VF-1 seems to retain its share of fans, despite the general consensus being that the 1/60 v2 is a superior toy. I had one 1/48 toy a while back that I ended up selling, but I can definitely see its appeal and I understand why people might like it over the 1/60 toys. Obviously, it's a bigger toy with more gimmicks, so if that's your thing the 1/48 is clearly the winner. And while I think the 1/60 v2 has a better Gerwalk mode, I think the 1/48 has slightly more appealing fighter mode proportions. Battroid is a toss-up -- I prefer the more chunky/boxy appearance of the 1/48 Battroid (I think that looks closer to what you see in the anime), but not the length of the nosecone or the tiny hands. I think the tipping point for me was that the 1/60 v2 is just more enjoyable to handle. The size makes it easier to handle without giving up a lot of "stage presence" so to speak, and it requires less display real estate. Also, when it comes to missiles and super/strike parts, the 1/48 is much more frustrating to deal with.

Only week point I see on the 1/48 is the chicken hands, 1/48 to 1/60 they are almost the same size. Out of that, is one of the best representation for a transforming Valkyrie.

I personally consider the 1/48 line the best representation for a perfect transformation Valkyrie(i think we can consider them a perfect transformation valk, right?). And i am still mad at Yamato for not doing a VF-1S MAX a VE-1 or a VT-1. I think they would have looked great in that scale. There are only two things i don't like: Chicken hands(as already stated by pretty much everybody) and the stickers which tend to peel off after a while(well, few years). Also, not only some very cool colour scheme for the valks but also some very nice GBP armor. My favourite is the Urban camo(especially on a VF-1S or VF-1A CF).

I had one 1:48 Roy. It was my first ever Yamato product. It was extremely cool for it's day. However, once the 1:60V2's hit their stride I was super glad I didn't sink money into anymore 1:48's. Battroid looked a bit wrong, the flaps were cool but fell off, the joints got loose quick and the overall size was just a bit big for me. I kept Roy for a long time, but finally sold him off about a year ago. I will always remember the good times as he was my first PT high end Valk, but I haven't missed him really.

Would love to get a 1/48 VF-1S Stike in the future as a center masterpiece for my Macross collection since it's Hikki's Valk. But what I fear is once I started buying this, for sure I will also want his VF-1J as well. Then the list will go on and on... :lol:

Would love to get a 1/48 VF-1S Stike in the future as a center masterpiece for my Macross collection since it's Hikki's Valk. But what I fear is once I started buying this, for sure I will also want his VF-1J as well. Then the list will go on and on... :lol:

I have Hikaru's VF-1S Strike in both 1/48 & 1/60. If you can find a set in 1/48 I highly recommend it. While the 1/60 V.2 is far more poseable stable toy. The size of the older 1/48 still makes it a winner in my book. And while its just my personal preference I still like the 1/48 Battroid mode better than the 1/60, but thats just me. Although if you have a 1/48 getting the DYRL articulated hands is a must!

You'll want that VF-1J too! B))

I had already bought in to the 1/60 v2 line before I ever tried a 1/48. With that said I ended up getting the "Essential Valks" from the line from my perspective. This includes both versions of the Low Viz valks, the VF-1J Stealth valk and stealth Super/Strike parts, the VF-1S Roy and a VF-1J Hikaru. I then bought all 3 of the GBP armor sets to go with the Low viz 2 (Cammo) and I slapped the urban cammo armor on the VF-1S and the TV armor on the VF-1J. Around the great fall of Yamato I ended up getting the chronicles Max TV scheme because I got a fantastic deal on it. If I could ever find the same kind of deal on a Kakizaki chronicles exclusive, I would buy that too. That would be the only other one I would need to finish the main TV cast.

Personally, I think the 1/48's are less playable than the 1/60 V2's but they are great on display especially the fighter mode imo.

my least favorite part about the 1/48's is the chicken hands, but if you can find quality "TV" hands that fixes that problem right up.

In battroid the nose cone is too long and looks a little out of place.

Overall though I would still recommend them if you have the space for them.

I have Hikaru's VF-1S Strike in both 1/48 & 1/60. If you can find a set in 1/48 I highly recommend it. While the 1/60 V.2 is far more poseable stable toy. The size of the older 1/48 still makes it a winner in my book. And while its just my personal preference I still like the 1/48 Battroid mode better than the 1/60, but thats just me. Although if you have a 1/48 getting the DYRL articulated hands is a must!

You'll want that VF-1J too! B))

That's what I fear, actually. :lol:

But if I just gonna buy one. And I only MEAN one... I'll probably go with VF-1S Minmay Guard to make it special. ^_^

My main problem with the 1/48 is the thickness and length of the nosecone in batroid.

It's really distracting from the harmony of the design when you finally see it. It makes the arms and legs look stunted. The chest is also too bulky.

The fighter mode is great in display though.

This pic from somebody on this forum... sums it up:

It's still blows away the Toynami's and chunky monkeys of course. Bottom line in terms of speculation is that it's going to be harder to find a motivated 1/48 buyer than a motivated 1/60 buyer in terms of big payoffs.

And I do not diss 1/48 lovers. They are awesome toys. To each his own :D

4n90qoD.jpg

Edited by Gakken85

I have to agree with you there Gakken.. the proportions of the 48's are odd in places but they do look fantastic in fighter mode! The longer nose really works for it in that mode.

Some people argue that the 1/60 are too humanoid looking and that the head sits up to high but I rather like that and I firmly believe it adds to the Valkyrie's charm as a variable platform.

Besides wasn't it was meant to look somewhat humanoid in order to be of similar dimensions and to combat the Zentradi!?

The 1/48's are great toys no doubt and have a few of their own quirks such as the deploy-able speed brake, removable nose cone with radome, moving flaps and of course their sheer size!

Edited by spanner76

I'll always have a soft spot for the 1/48s. I remember getting my first 1/48 VF-1S Roy with S&S Parts. Back in undergrad it was all I could afford, but it was my pride and joy. I got back into collecting Macross just before the V2s surfaced, so I ended up getting the "Essential Valks" in 1/48 like Loop mentioned before delving into the 1/60s. I also really dig the "Weathering" versions at this scale, even though the effect is a bit on the heavy side.

I still have my first 1/48, and it's still my favorite. After Kurt worked his magic it's now a Minmay Guard Paris Act. Kinda hard to trump that in my opinion, but to each his own :D

My sources is basically done with the 1/48 Elint and Ostrich. Elint should be easy since someone made the FP already. My source just finished the chest piece to make it more accurate. So close to getting it done. Yes, just wait and see then the 1/48 will be complete.

I'll always have a soft spot for the 1/48s. I remember getting my first 1/48 VF-1S Roy with S&S Parts. Back in undergrad it was all I could afford, but it was my pride and joy. I got back into collecting Macross just before the V2s surfaced, so I ended up getting the "Essential Valks" in 1/48 like Loop mentioned before delving into the 1/60s. I also really dig the "Weathering" versions at this scale, even though the effect is a bit on the heavy side.

I still have my first 1/48, and it's still my favorite. After Kurt worked his magic it's now a Minmay Guard Paris Act. Kinda hard to trump that in my opinion, but to each his own :D

Now that's a dream of having as a centerpiece for my collection. ^_^

Old Man, I have a question since it's a custom, if you're just going to pose it in one mode, fearing that it will scracth the paint when transforming it everytime, in what mode are you going to display it 'somehow permanently' but it still shows all those Minmay Guard details?

Now that's a dream of having as a centerpiece for my collection. ^_^

Old Man, I have a question since it's a custom, if you're just going to pose it in one mode, fearing that it will scracth the paint when transforming it everytime, in what mode are you going to display it 'somehow permanently' but it still shows all those Minmay Guard details?

Since the original inspiration for the Minmay Guard Paris Act was done on a Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1S battroid in the October '02 issue of Model Graphix, I would have to say that's my preferred mode to display in. I feel that's the mode that portrays the details of the Minmay Guard the best, but fighter mode is a close second (something about the tread marks that run across the fuselage that I've always been fond of).