Hellboy

Agent ONE

I saw the trailer for this when I went to see Return of the King... I thought it looked good, but then someone mentioned to me that it has been a comic. I didn't know this which let me to wonder, was the comic any good?

It's an awesome comic book. Mike Mignola is a genius and is often imitated today. I'm kinda disappointed in the way Hellboy looks though, but the rest of the cast look great, especially Abe Sapien.

There are a bunch of movies out there that are made from comic books and you wouldn't really know. Road to Perdition being one of them.

Yup... pick up a Hellboy Graphic Novel, it's well worth it. Mignola's art is super duper refined and they'll never be able to pull it off on film.

But the trailer for the film looked very good (if different than the artwork) and I'm looking forward to see what G. Del Toro puts together. Should be a fun flick, at least.

Agent One- The problem here is that when most people hear the word comic book, they think of cheesy stuff like Fantastic Four, X-Men and The Hulk (hmm... all Marvel stuff).

In reality, there are many great comics out there that aren't superhero junk and tell a great/fun/hilarious/thought-provoking story.

Hellboy is one of them. It's just sooo much fun. I think the casting is great, and I'll definitely see the movie, but I'm going in with the expectation that it could be screwed up on film.

Here's to hoping that it's not!!! (tips a guinness... passes out on wife)

I've enjoyed Giullermo Del Toro's work, aside from Cronos, which was a POS, I really like Blade 2. It was pretty disgusting in a fun sense. There were some questionable decisions but I think they were to cater to the actors need to be looked at, or else they would have been running around those cool ninja type suits all the time. But the movie I really enjoyed from him was a spanish film called La Spina De Diablo, hope I got it right... The Devil's Backbone in English. Based on those 2 movies, I'll be looking forward to Hellboy.

Another classic graphic novel - which was rumoured to be lined up for filming at one point, at an estimated one million dollars a page! - is Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Once you read that, you will probably never look at comics, or superheroes, in quite the same way ever again.

Other fun comics include Preacher and, the Authority, and Planetary. Be warned, at least the first two are for [/i]mature readers.

Another classic graphic novel - which was rumoured to be lined up for filming at one point, at an estimated one million dollars a page! - is Watchmen, by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Once you read that, you will probably never look at comics, or superheroes, in quite the same way ever again.

Other fun comics include Preacher and, the Authority, and Planetary. Be warned, at least the first two are for [/i]mature readers.

The Authority is awesome. read only Warren Ellis's or Mark Millar's stuff. the new book is NOT the Authority.

Watchmen owns. its probably the best GN of all time. never read Preacher, But if you want a total mind f---, try reading Grant Morrison's (New X-men) the Invisibles. great stuff.

Can someone post an image of Hellboy from the comic?

Try this site:

http://www.hellboy.com

There are quite a few pics of Mignola's Hellboy there. It's really an awesome series/title.

Thanks. It looks like the capured him perfectly in the movie. Of course I know nothing about the character.

Ah... Devil's Backbone rules completely, EXO.

My fave "not for the kids" comics -

Anything by Alan Moore - but specifically, From Hell (completely different and WAY better than the lame movie), Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and best of all - MiracleMan (damn McFarlane for not reprinting these in GN format)

Also -

Stray Bullets (by David Lapham, awesome stuff)

Starchild (very indie and not easy to find, by James Owen)

Replacement God (Zander Cannon)

Preacher (Garth Ennis rules)

Sandman (or anything else by Gaiman)

Sin City (probably the one that AgentOne would dig the most, by my guess. Go purchase "That Yellow Bastard"... you'll love it. Frank Miller is a god.)

Thieves and Kings

Bone

Castle Waiting

All very different comics, no superheroes, no tights, most aren't even printed in color. But they are all completely unique and unlike 99% of comic books. And most are made by independent artist/publishers who tell the story the way they want to.

Hey Blaine, I believe there are plenty of tights in Castle Waiting... :p But that's a good list. One of these days I'm gonna have to pick up Stray Bullets and Replacement Gods, I've been meaning to. I've also been wanting to check out White Out, if you've read it, let me know if it's worth it.

I remember the movie was really bad but the comic book Tank Girl is hilarious. Another short lived one was Major Bummer. It was about Aliens that sent out super hero powers to the wrong address because they didn't realize that the phone book listed people last name first. A bunch of losers ended up with the amazing gifts.

• 2 months later...

On TV I have been seeing previews for the upcoming movie Hellboy. It really has peaked my interest. Watching it, and after reading the information I could find of the internet, I was left with a couple of questions maybe the sages here could answer.

First off, anyone know anything about the movie? It looks so cool, and yet I can't seem to find really any info out there about it beyond a few brief bios of the movie.

Second, from what I have found, this is based on a comic book. Anyone read it, any good?

Here is the Bio off of Apples page (which has the trailer as well)

Hellboy webpage

"Born in the flames of hell and brought to Earth to perpetrate evil, Hellboy was rescued from sinister forces by the benevolent Professor Broom, who raised him to be a hero. In Dr. Broom's secret Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense (B.P.R.D.), Hellboy creates an unlikely family consisting of the telepathic "Mer-Man" Abe Sapien and "Pyrokenetic" Liz Sherman, the woman he loves who can control fire. Hidden from the very society that they protect, they stand as the key line of defense against an evil madman who seeks to reclaim Hellboy to the dark side and use his powers to destroy mankind."

post-26-1078867313.jpg

Taken from the other thread:

Saw the Hellboy trailer this past weekend at the theaters...ugh

the only competition it has for worst movie of the year is the Punisher lol. Saw that trailer too. I didn't know Frank Castle was gay....

Hellboy looks really fake and cheezy on the bigscreen. Kind of like the Hulk movie.

Hellboy and his gang are paranormal investigators. Like Scooby and Ghostbusters, but the stories in the book gets into the occult and really dark myths. It's really well drawn and well written. Hellboy looks cheesy in the movie, but the other characters are spot on. This is on my I can't wait list.

ADD: IIRC, I was the only one that was excited about Pirates last year... :p;)

Edited by >EXO<

Hellboy looks really fake and cheezy on the bigscreen. Kind of like the Hulk movie.

I may be the only one in the world who really liked the Hulk... The end loose it a little bit but the overall experience was very fun.

The commercials make it look pretty exciting, the CG looks pretty good for a comic book movie. Can't go wrong with casting Ron Perlman as Hellboy, he has tons of experience with prosthetic acting parts. I might see it when it comes out.

B))