Anime on Blu-ray in NA (GitS, Bebop, Mononoke)

Mr March

Obviously neither of you watched Yamato 2199 ;-)

Edit: Or Towards the Terra

Or the Fist of the North Star new movie trilogy

Or Gundam Unicorn

Or ...aww crap this just aint gonna end if I get started. Uhm... try Yamato 2199. :-)

I've watched 2199 many times; if you check out the 2199 thread here in Macross World you'll see I'm quite the supporter and participant of it. 2199 doesn't really count though, considering that I've been a Space Cruiser Yamato fan for decades and I would've been a fan even if it had turned out badly. However even with 2199 I'm picky with what I buy and collect: I only have the 2199 SOC Yamato, the Miki Saijo and Yuki figures-I've passed on everything else.

I'll take a look at this New Fist of the North Star.

I don't like anything Gundam.

Please feel free to send some recommendations my way. I lurk in the "what anime are you watching thread" but nothing's caught my eye outside of Knights of Sedonia (sp?)...

Edited by myk

Bebop is one of my fave anime. I'll pick it up after I get the rest of Yamato 2199 and the BGC blu ray set. I'm about half way through Knights of Sidonia and really liking it so far.

Myk how's the SOC Yamato?

It's a beautiful piece, especially with it being over a foot long. The wave motion gun effects are cool even though ultimately it's disappointing because nothing comes out after all of that build up (that's what she said). If you're on the fence about buying one do so now-they're at really good prices compared to the $300 I paid when it first came out. Now, it doesn't come with any panel lining or super detailing like Dobber/Chris or WMCheng here would expect to see, but for the rest of us non-modeler types it does fine.

In any case, Bebop blu-Ray finally got here, albeit 3 days late, and the case is broken into pieces but the disks are intact. Go Amazon Prime! I'll watch this ASAP....

I realize that I've never seen the whole series in the original Japanese. The dub has always been so great that I never felt the need to. I should remedy that when I have some time. The English dub of Bebop is my favorite dub ever and I pretty much watch everything in Japanese with subs when given the option.

I realize that I've never seen the whole series in the original Japanese. The dub has always been so great that I never felt the need to. I should remedy that when I have some time. The English dub of Bebop is my favorite dub ever and I pretty much watch everything in Japanese with subs when given the option.

As someone who has seen the show multiple times, I think Bebop is one of those rare cases where the original voice cast and the English voice cast were both excellent and captured the characters well. The visuals from the Blu-ray are a treat.

Guest davidwhangchoi

does anyone own both the cowboy dvd set and the blu ray? i keep reading on amazon it's on;y worth if you don't have the dvd set.

is the picture that much of an upgrade over the dvd set?

Edited by davidwhangchoi

does anyone own both the dvd set and got the blu ray. i keep reading on amazon it's on;y worth if you don't have the dvd set.

I read that much about the movie, don't know about the series itself...

I have the really old DVD boxed set that was released ages ago. It's the limited edition boxed one that is labeled "Perfect Sessions." Haven't had a chance to compare the two yet since it's in storage.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I have the really old DVD boxed set that was released ages ago. It's the limited edition boxed one that is labeled "Perfect Sessions." Haven't had a chance to compare the two yet since it's in storage.

are you going to unload the dvd verision on ebay?

I read that much about the movie, don't know about the series itself...

thanks guys!

Nah, I'm gonna keep it. I like the box and it's part of my Bebop collection. I also have the limited edition CD set that came out in Japan that has a really cool box with them all in 20's getups. ^_^

Edited by xrentonx

Over the last week and a half I've gone through the series completeing Jupiter Jazz, Part Two (episode 13).

So far, this Blu-Ray set has been outstanding. The sound mix is excellent, with great use of directional sound for everything from dialog to sound effects to diegetic music. Much has been written about the sound changes to Bebop from one format to the next and I will admit, I do hear some differences. However, I have to say that even as a fan that has watched the entire series a very unhealthy number of times, thus far the changes have been minor to my mind and not worth the digital ink that's been spent. Maybe my true outrage is yet to come, but for now I've few complaints.

Visually, the Cowboy Bebop blu-ray set is everything I hoped it would be. Bebop has always been a series where often times much of the humor, action and mood is set by the background or far shots every bit as much as the single face close-ups and detailed beauty shots. In high definition, the fine detail of the artwork comes into sharp contrast with beautiful results: all of Bebops best small moments and far shots are crystal clear in HD style and tone. As a long time fan I am thrilled to be able to enjoy Bebop the way I always wanted.

I'll post more once I finish off the entire set, but so far the Bebop blu-ray set is a stellar hit.

I am loving the Bebop US Blu Ray set. Yeah the CGI effects have not aged well(I think they were made at 480p....) but the SOUND and Video for the main Bebop content are great. Especially the sound. If you have a loss less AVR you are in for a treat. Dolby TRUE HD 5.1 sounds great from this set!!!

Guest davidwhangchoi

I am loving the Bebop US Blu Ray set. Yeah the CGI effects have not aged well(I think they were made at 480p....) but the SOUND and Video for the main Bebop content are great. Especially the sound. If you have a loss less AVR you are in for a treat. Dolby TRUE HD 5.1 sounds great from this set!!!

ok, thanks, i guess there's nothing that can be done about the cgi, but it looks like everyone agrees it's an upgrade.

ok, thanks, i guess there's nothing that can be done about the cgi, but it looks like everyone agrees it's an upgrade.

Yeah, I don't know if I'm lucky or not to have missed this series up until now, especially if this is its best iteration to date.

Now, considering how out of touch I am with this sort of thing, did Macross Plus movie edition ever get such a treatment?

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yeah, I don't know if I'm lucky or not to have missed this series up until now, especially if this is its best iteration to date.

Now, considering how out of touch I am with this sort of thing, did Macross Plus movie edition ever get such a treatment?

here's the macross plus blu ray thread

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=37865&page=1

I'm so lost I forget I even posted in that thread, lol. NOW I remember. I love 'Plus very much, it defined my interest in anime, but I don't love it that much $$$$$$. Ah well...

does anyone own both the cowboy dvd set and the blu ray? i keep reading on amazon it's on;y worth if you don't have the dvd set.

For sure.

I have the Bandai Entertainment DVDs, which are stereo only. I'm holding onto them for as long as they last since I want to keep a copy of the stereo mix. The first two things that impressed me with the BDs were the multi-channel audio and the clean visuals. The Bebop DVDs need good hardware to clean up all the artifacting and noise in the picture. The BDs are just pure by design. Also, I prefer the Blu-ray navigation menu. That has more to do with how often I've played my DVDs, though. Those DVD menus are repetitive. :p

Yup.

The BD has better colors due to video technology improvements.

The only thing crappy with the BD is the lack of on-the-fly audio-switch, i.e. you have to go to the menu to change audio selection.

Actually, another crappy thing about the BD is that you can't turn off the subtitles when japanese-audio is selected and you can't turn the subtitles on when it's in english-audio.

Stupid and useless "anti-piracy" crap...

The special editions of the Bebop BD set, (specially the Funimation one) sold out almost immediately and are now going for over 3 times their retail price on Ebay. I'd never seen that for a western release of an anime series. I'm glad I got my order in early.

• 2 weeks later...

This just in:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-22/section-23-films-adds-patlabor-film-the-world-god-only-knows-ovas/.83587

North American anime distributor Section23 Films announced in its May release slate on Thursday that it will release Patlabor: The Movie on DVD and Blu-ray under its Maiden Japan imprint on May 5.

No listing on TRSI, yet, tho...

Edited by treatment

Hells yeah!

Keep the HD anime goodness coming. Keeping this on my radar for sure. Thanks treatment

trsi just listed it:

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/2w2f--mMKuMA-gZCyx/browse/item/104777/4/0/0

May-5, 2015 release

$23.99 pre-o pricing (a bit steep for an old movie, but hey!)

Now we just wait for the more awesomer movie-2 to get announced. :hail:

---

Incidentally, per tracking, I should get the Patlabor:New Files ova bd next week...

:bump:

I'm getting it. The money is already spent. LOL, I remember back in the day when I would kill to get anime this cheap, now $24 is considered expensive. Nice to see some things change for the better.

Though, I will miss those uber DVD sets for the Patlabor films. The ones with the big foil boxes that came with art books.

The second movie should be right behind this one. Can't wait.

Yup. Anime was typically $30-40 a "CASSETTE;" that's right, there was no blu ray, dvd wasn't the accepted format yet and VHS was your only option. I remember stalking Tower Records for every measly two episode release of Evangelion for that precious $30. Now you can have something glorious like the entire Bebop on remastered blu ray for just around the same price...

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. Anime was typically $30-40 a "CASSETTE;" that's right, there was no blu ray, dvd wasn't the accepted format yet and VHS was your only option. I remember stalking Tower Records for every measly two episode release of Evangelion for that precious $30. Now you can have something glorious like the entire Bebop on remastered blu ray for just around the same price...

Yeah it was stupid expensive. If you owned a full series like Bubblegum Crisis OVA you were well off. Most people rented anime shows. Forget about Laser Disc. If you had those you were considered rich. Now a days Laser Discs are cheap. I get them on occasion just for the cover artwork. Some records however have gone up.