Anime on Blu-ray in NA (GitS, Bebop, Mononoke)

Mr March

I purchased the GitS blu-ray and watched it. It's not the "top shelf" demo quality blu-ray I wanted, but it's so good to see an HD release of the original film at last. I hope they eventually release a remastered version of the film taken from a 4k scan, because this classic deserves the executive treatment. For now, I'm content to finally enjoy it in HD. It's been too damned long.

I purchased the GitS blu-ray and watched it. It's not the "top shelf" demo quality blu-ray I wanted, but it's so good to see an HD release of the original film at last. I hope they eventually release a remastered version of the film taken from a 4k scan, because this classic deserves the executive treatment. For now, I'm content to finally enjoy it in HD. It's been too damned long.

It's funny to read your post because yesterday I got and watched my GiTS anniversary bluray and was just a tiny, tiny bit disappointed with the picture quality. I'm not a "video" geek like some guys here so I cannot put a finger on it, but I probably expected more sharpness, more richness. I didn't feel like I was seeing a quantum leap in quality from my DVD. I guess 5,6 years from now they will take my money again with the remastered 'ultimate edition' or something like that.

Marzan

This blu-ray version of GitS is slightly windowboxed. I've no idea why the hell that practice is still employed, but I wish it would die. Thankfully, this release is a very mild version of typical windowboxing but does lead to an image where the colors aren't as vibrant as they could be and the image isn't quite as sharp. Like I said, this blu-ray is a major improvement over the DVD and at last we have the original in HD format, but this is far from the best authored version of a blu-ray. No one would call this demo quality that you would use to try selling HD television screens at your local Best Buy :)

Ideally, what we want out of each and every release to blu-ray is a 4k scan of the original film which is then downsized to HD and mastered specifically for presentation in the 1080P format. This means they enhance the image of the HD presentation so it semi-compensates for the limitations of HD 1080P format. To use an analogy, it's the same process whereby later releases of your favorite films on DVD looked much better than the earliest DVD releases of that same film (example; Blade Runner first DVD vs. Blade Runner Limited Edition DVD).

Now that GitS is released on blu-ray, there's a good chance a remastered version will be out eventually. So while it isn't perfect, this is a good sign of good things to come.

Are you sure that it was window-boxed?

I don't recall my recent 25th-anniversary blu-ray being window-boxed when I watched it the other night. Could be either my player and/or my tv's over-scanning it or something to fill up the screen. (both LG brand)

I need to double-check it later.

I'll check the other BD version (the old 2.0 editiion) if that was ever window-boxed, which I believe it was.

As such, I can say the video on the 25th-anniv edition is mostly soft, but not terribly so.

edit: I misremembered which was which. :touche:

Check out my snaps in my later post. :bump:

Edited by treatment

ok, here we go...

album-page: http://imgur.com/a/mSruH

The pics are titled, but to guide you:

*GiTS-2.0-BD (left or top) vs GiTS-25th-Anniv-BD (right or bottom)*

(GiTS-2.0-bd fills my tv whole, whereas GiTS-25th-BD does not fill the tv and has a little bit of letterboxing):

BHcQRxpl.jpg vs 3LE9fUll.jpg

from direct-snapshots, GiTS-2.0 BD is full, whereas GiTS-25th-anniv BD is window-boxed:

25MMl2Vl.png vs 2SNY9Ppl.png

ZKHahrsl.png vs aCBO0d3l.png

Color-wise, it's a bit of a toss-up to me, so it's up to your own eyes...

Edited by treatment

Marzan

This blu-ray version of GitS is slightly windowboxed. I've no idea why the hell that practice is still employed, but I wish it would die. Thankfully, this release is a very mild version of typical windowboxing but does lead to an image where the colors aren't as vibrant as they could be and the image isn't quite as sharp. Like I said, this blu-ray is a major improvement over the DVD and at last we have the original in HD format, but this is far from the best authored version of a blu-ray. No one would call this demo quality that you would use to try selling HD television screens at your local Best Buy :)

Ideally, what we want out of each and every release to blu-ray is a 4k scan of the original film which is then downsized to HD and mastered specifically for presentation in the 1080P format. This means they enhance the image of the HD presentation so it semi-compensates for the limitations of HD 1080P format. To use an analogy, it's the same process whereby later releases of your favorite films on DVD looked much better than the earliest DVD releases of that same film (example; Blade Runner first DVD vs. Blade Runner Limited Edition DVD).

Now that GitS is released on blu-ray, there's a good chance a remastered version will be out eventually. So while it isn't perfect, this is a good sign of good things to come.

Makes sense. I hope we get a version like the one you describe at some point in the future. GITS is worth it.

I've not compared the two versions; it would be kinda hard since GitS 2.0 is such a visual departure from the original film that actually adds light bloom and blur as part of the stylistic "reinterpretation" of the original. But yes, you can clearly see the windowboxing, although like I said it is a thankfully mild example of it.

Yes Marzan I agree that GitS demands a demo quality blu-ray. Such a classic deserves nothing less.

I don't think this is about skimping on the release.

In Japan, GitS 2.0 was released as a BD boxset that included the original version and the CGI enhanced version on separate BDs. This was back in 2008. I have this release. GitS 2.0 was played with and tweaked all over the place, which is why it looks so different in Treatment's pics above. I can only speculate as to Mamoru Oshii's intent with these changes. They seem to align more with the effects in GitS: Innocence than with the first movie.

GitS 1.0 was a straight HD transfer with hardly any fiddling, IIRC. I prefer the colors and the clarity in 1.0, even though it retains the old aspect ratio of the DVD release. The 25th Anniversary Edition is the first domestic North American release of this footage. I think it's a very cool release for those who've been waiting.

So yeah, it is a six-year-old remaster at this point, but if you didn't buy into the Japanese set early then it's a very good deal.

Edited by technoblue

Btw, forgot to mention that the Puppet Master is back to male-vocal again in the japanese-dub of the new 25th-anniversary BD release.

Not sure if that has been known in this thread, yet.

That was only a problem / change in 2.0.

Marzan

This blu-ray version of GitS is slightly windowboxed. I've no idea why the hell that practice is still employed, but I wish it would die.

Because most TVs still have overscan even though it's actually HARDER to do overscan than to not do overscan on a modern display. The windowboxing is intended to cancel that out so the viewer can ACTUALLY see the entire image.

They're trying to cancel out one piece of stupid with another piece of stupid. And those of us who own TVS THAT WORK RIGHT are suffering for it.

(An overscan-free mode was a mandatory feature on my checklist the last time I went TV shopping. I am still stunned that overscan survived the digital transition.)

Btw, forgot to mention that the Puppet Master is back to male-vocal again in the japanese-dub of the new 25th-anniversary BD release.

Not sure if that has been known in this thread, yet.

That was only a problem / change in 2.0.

I forgot about the audio changes from 1.0 to 2.0 too, and that one change in particular. The Japanese box set has both films in 1080p, and GitS 1.0 includes the Japanese LPCM stereo track and the English Dolby Digital track. I prefer the Japanese cover with Major Kusanagi.

Here is a link:

http://www.pustan.com/ld/bd/gits20.html

There is an older Japanese release that was 1080i, and coincidentally used the same cover as the new 25th Anniversary Edition. This one didn't get very good reviews:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1368/ghostintheshell_jp.html

Edited by technoblue

Because most TVs still have overscan even though it's actually HARDER to do overscan than to not do overscan on a modern display. The windowboxing is intended to cancel that out so the viewer can ACTUALLY see the entire image.

They're trying to cancel out one piece of stupid with another piece of stupid. And those of us who own TVS THAT WORK RIGHT are suffering for it.

(An overscan-free mode was a mandatory feature on my checklist the last time I went TV shopping. I am still stunned that overscan survived the digital transition.)

I like how windowboxing punishes you for having a proper HD television. Let's punish the folks that actually purchase their televisions intelligently and reward those that buy crap! :)

The Cowboy Bebop releases...drool...Are those capitalist ba*tards trying to make double dip??

I already own the European edition, and it resembles the Amazon release most, so I might have to shop the Funimation release then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice review. :) That guy really likes his Bebop. My set arrived from Amazon last week and I've been waiting to take an HD trip down nostalgia lane after Christmas. I have a blu-ray backlog now since Bubblegum Crisis also arrived.

Also, has anyone here seen Wolf Children or Short Peace? Are these worthwhile blind buys?

Got the Bebop Blu-Ray set, Amazon.com exclusive. The book of line art this thing comes with is amazing! 140 pages of black and white drawings from the series printed in really high quality. A great source for the Bebop line art for anyone who is interested. GOing to delve into the series very soon, using this set as the first introduction for a new friend.

Got the Bebop Blu-Ray set, Amazon.com exclusive. The book of line art this thing comes with is amazing! 140 pages of black and white drawings from the series printed in really high quality. A great source for the Bebop line art for anyone who is interested. GOing to delve into the series very soon, using this set as the first introduction for a new friend.

That just popped up on my Amazon Prime screen as well. Thanks to your mini-review I'm going to get it...

Yeah, I got my Bebop Bluray set too! Love me some Bebop :wub:

I've never seen Bebop outside of the movie and Man-Fey, so I'm looking forward to this...

You're in for a treat then, I think. Bebop was the last real anime series I was obsessed about. Great characters and most importantly for me...great music. I haven't watched much anime since then outside of Macross and nothing that brought about that obsession in me.

You're in for a treat then, I think. Bebop was the last real anime series I was obsessed about. Great characters and most importantly for me...great music. I haven't watched much anime since then outside of Macross and nothing that brought about that obsession in me.

Concidentally I feel the same way you do. I was very picky about what anime's I watched and like you, I haven't really watched anything since that era; something about the anime of today doesn't resonate well with me. Anyway, I know I missed out on Bebop so I'm glad this opportunity has come up...