ROTK Thread

eriku

Since the other thread turned into a riot and was closed (gee, I wonder who closed it?) I thought it would be nice to have a new thread where we can discuss the upcoming LOTR film, and also use to discuss the film after we've seen it! Please, if you just feel like dumping then at least wait until after you've seen the film. Otherwise go over to Spawn.com where you'll be among equals. Anyone else, join in!

First off, I thought I'd post Comingsoon.com's review of ROTK. It's a pretty good review, but what I thought was most interesting was the cast list...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=2695

...Isildur?

Well, I'm off to buy a couple tickets. If I don't buy one now there's no way I'll get in opening night. :ph34r:

Excellent. I'm looking forward to it.

From what I've read aside from the Shelob, we're in for a fairly accurate depiction. Though I will admit, the thought of Aragorn wading through the Uruk-Hai with a lawnmower strapped to his chest is intriguing. Especially if he had help from a female hippo wielding a machine gun.

Aghhh, Exams Wednesday, after that need to finish Essays for English Saturday morning. Maybe I can get off work early on Friday, go see Matinee then.

From what I've read aside from the Shelob, we're in for a fairly accurate depiction.

Shelob looks great, but seeing as how Tolkien probably didn't have an Australian funnel-web spider in mind, I'm not sure how accurate it will be. :p

For those that don't know, Jackson wanted Shelob to look just like the funnel-web spider that he's always been terrified of. Do a google search, these things are wicked! Then again, I think daddy-long-legs look pretty wicked too since I have a mild case of arachniphobia. Shelob will probably make me shat myself. :blink:

::EDIT::

pics for your pleasure...

http://faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID=84

Edited by eriku

I won't be able to see it till after I get home on Friday due to finals. I'm going to make sure I see it during the first showing at the start of the day(on the day I go to see) so I won't have to deal with to many people. After kids will be in school and most people will be working. He's hoping I run into my friends again. During the first showing my dad and I were in the same theater, room that my friens from high school were in. When I saw Two Towers I ran into some others as well. Maybe I'll get lucky a third time and run into some more. :D I have't seen that many since graduation day back in 2001. :(

but what I thought was most interesting was the cast list...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=2695

...Isildur?

Another flashback most likely. I'm glad it's the same actor though, even if he is primarily a writer/producer :)

I'm probably going to see it on Wednesday. I have the day off work, so I might as well go. It's sure to be plenty of fun.

From what I've read aside from the Shelob, we're in for a fairly accurate depiction.

Shelob looks great, but seeing as how Tolkien probably didn't have an Australian funnel-web spider in mind, I'm not sure how accurate it will be. :p

For those that don't know, Jackson wanted Shelob to look just like the funnel-web spider that he's always been terrified of. Do a google search, these things are wicked! Then again, I think daddy-long-legs look pretty wicked too since I have a mild case of arachniphobia. Shelob will probably make me shat myself. :blink:

::EDIT::

pics for your pleasure...

http://faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID=84

Yeah, Australias got some crazy animals with lots of poison. When I was thier I got a bite from a Huntsman spider, It was huge, but not poisonous. Felt like a bee sting.

As for the movie, havent seen it yet, will judge later for myself

Right from the trailer:

8928.jpg

Here, Sam is inserted for size comparison purposes:

8944.jpg

I'm kind of disapointed. I was hoping for some really cool demon spider. Instead... I get just another giant tarantula. <_<

We got those by the truck load here in Brazil... its not exactly exciting to see one on the silver screen now. Oh well... I guess I'll just wait for the DVD.... again. <_<

Bah. Shelob was nothing compared to Ungoliant.

Sounds interesting.... where would one learn more about him/her? :)

Bah. Shelob was nothing compared to Ungoliant.

Sounds interesting.... where would one learn more about him/her? :)

Ungoliant was Shelob's mother. She helped Morgoth (the guy Sauron used to work for) take out the two trees in Valinor. She's in the Silmarillion.

Now that must be a pretty evil spider. :blink:

She was a mean mother, who could speak incidently.

Here, Sam is inserted for size comparison purposes

Sorry to nitpick mate, but that's Frodo in the position he was in as he went around the corner a few seconds before.

I'm going to see it tomorrow, 10am. Should be fun, if I really like (who am I kidding?!) I might just watch it again right after :D

Max Jenius - Sorry about the other forum. I should have addressed what Peter Jackson's contribution was to the movies instead of just attacking you. I apologise :)

I'm kind of disapointed. I was hoping for some really cool demon spider. Instead... I get just another giant tarantula. <_<

I'd have to agree...it doesn't look much better than giant spiders you see in old sci-fi movies.

We got those by the truck load here in Brazil...

Do they hangout in the Amazon? Cuz I'll be in the Peruvian side of the jungle in January. :unsure:

We got those by the truck load here in Brazil...

Do they hangout in the Amazon? Cuz I'll be in the Peruvian side of the jungle in January. :unsure:

Yes... they do hang out in the Amazon. Don't be worried though, Goliath Tarantulas are as harmless as babies.... unless you are a frog. :lol:

You can pretty much grab them with your hand and they won't attack.... except during mating season. Trust me... if they have babies.... not amount of running will save you. :blink:

Saw it last night/this morning at 12:01 AM.....pretty good... a few complaints etc but overall enjoyable. I really didn't like how they started the film....

Its wierd when a movie is 3 hours plus and yet it still feels incomplete.

BTW do most theaters still use film? The theater I was at, the film melted a 1/3 of the way through lol Not too many happy theater goers at 1:30 AM. About 15 minutes later it was back on. What's wierd is that the other half of the theater(9 screens) the film melted too in a different spot.

Spiderman 2 Trailer was playing with it. Good stuff.

Saw it last night (left the theater about 3:35 am and had to be at work at 8 am). My only gripe was I think for the theatrical release Fat Pete really could have cut down the ending a bit more. It just seemed to go on forever. There was a few scenes (particularly in Sam's ending) that could have been left out and still got the message across in the final end scene. Would have better served for the extended edition. Other than that it was great.