Destiny, new game from Bungie

Mr March

Kotaku just put up an amazing review of Destiny. It's the most spot on one I've read: http://kotaku.com/destiny-the-kotaku-review-1637735501

Also, I've now gotten the bounty for the exotic shotgun. These exotics really should be more rare.

Yeah, it's hard to disagree with the points that review made - all, or most of which seemed to be valid to me. Even without having put as much time in on the game or having participated in the Loot Cave or Vault of Glass (mostly because I'm only level 19).

Well, I just made my first attempt at the Vault of Glass.

around 7:30, I got a party invite from a guy I had met earlier that day. I join up and once I entered party chat I find out that they were going to try and open the vault and wanted me to be their 6th man.

6 hours of blood, sweat, tears and dropped connections later, we had managed to get in, clear all 3 stages of the Templar boss fight, get past the gorgons, competed the jumping puzzles and gotten about half way through opening the gate to the final boss before we finally decided we were all to mentally drained to continue and decided to call it a night. I couldn't tell you how many mobs we killed, and I dread to think how many times we died. This was simultaneously the single most challenging, frustrating, infuriating, and utterly satisfying gaming experience I've ever had in my life. we didn't even manage to get to the final boss, and this still feels like a greater accomplishment than any game I've ever played before. It was brutal and we got are asses handed to us repeatedly, but every time we restarted we felt smarter and more confident and every time we finally cleared a checkpoint it was a time for mass celebration.

since it's officially Tuesday, all that progress has been whipped, but we plan to start the whole thing over again at the same time tonight. we'll be smarter about it, faster through it, and we'll be able to take breaks and manage ourselves much better. We will beat this.

:edit:

and if you're wondering, for all that each person got 6 ascendent shards and 1 piece of badass raid gear.

Nice. Looking forward to giving it a go one of these days.

were those story missions even that hard?

The Sword of Crota wasn't, but there must have been a big enough issue with difficulty for a patch to address it.

-b.

Note they only tweaked the "heroic" versions of those mussions, not the regular ones.

Dumb question/confirmation, but "Heroic" just means that you bump the difficulty level up from the default to whatever the highest available option is before you launch right?

I'm assuming yes, but I keep reading Heroic but have yet to see an option to select it in-game (other than it being listed on Bounties that's the only time I see the word).

-b.

Dumb question/confirmation, but "Heroic" just means that you bump the difficulty level up from the default to whatever the highest available option is before you launch right?

I'm assuming yes, but I keep reading Heroic but have yet to see an option to select it in-game (other than it being listed on Bounties that's the only time I see the word).

-b.

I THINK heroic only kicks in for the daily mission on the side of the map, but don't quote me on that.

I THINK heroic only kicks in for the daily mission on the side of the map, but don't quote me on that.

Hmmmm....

Well I did one of the Queen's missions (Special Event currently running) and did the "Loot Cave" for the first time and leveled up to 20. I think "Heroic" as an actual choice only unlocks at that point and there is dialogue that says as much once you level to 20 (although I've done Bounties that said "Heroic" at lower levels and still achieved them).

No time to check that theory tonight either by playing or searching the webs.

I'm sure someone will come in at some point and set me straight by the time I can log on tomorrow. :lol:

-b.

"Heroic" is a difficulty modifier (think skulls in halo). it means stronger, more aggressive enemies spawn versus regular difficulty of the same level. All story missions can be played as heroic difficulty at any time, just go to the mission you want, and after you choose it click on where the difficulty is displayed (bottom of your screen next to the set destination button), and you can switch to a higher level version of that story mission, all of which include Heroic modifier.

I'm the biggest idiot on the planet, I deleted my fully upgraded, 300 attack damage legendary auto rifle.

ouch

"Heroic" is a difficulty modifier (think skulls in halo). it means stronger, more aggressive enemies spawn versus regular difficulty of the same level. All story missions can be played as heroic difficulty at any time, just go to the mission you want, and after you choose it click on where the difficulty is displayed (bottom of your screen next to the set destination button), and you can switch to a higher level version of that story mission, all of which include Heroic modifier.

gotcha

-b.

Bungie's got a strange mix of great and terrible design going on here, really. And you can tell where they were playing to their strengths, because basically anything involving shooting is gold, but all the MMORPG stuff is godawful terrible.

Would've made better sense if there was no character level system at all, and gear was everything.

But it would make the poor drop rate of quality gear more visible.

I can only assume that they simply expected people would spend all their time in the Crucible. That'll generate reputation and marks fast and open up m4d 1337 g34r, I guess.

Loot cave patched and reason for patch

Internet's reaction:

http://youtu.be/a5R_pS0h5Qk

Also exotic weapon Advice

Exotic Weapons

Exotic Weapons are designed to look, feel and sound overpowered, but to not actually break the game. We hope these weapons challenge the way players think about their loadouts and expect their idiosyncrasies to sometimes be a little frustrating. We find ourselves wanting to collect them all and hope players feel the same way.

Not all our Exotic Weapons currently live up to this promise. In particular those weapons received from completing exotic bounties including Thorn and Bad Juju have disappointed many of us who have gone through the great effort to obtain them because, despite looking and sounding amazing, they feel underpowered. We're here to offer some advice: don't shard those guns. Their time will come.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Then what's the point of these stupid queens missions? Why would I even bother spending time doing them when all I get is the same two pieces of armor that I can't even use over and over again anyways? do they really think anyone gives a crap about a handful of crap tier guns and ass ugly decorative items?

as for he cave farming, they wouldn't have this problem if engrams actually gave you half decent crap every once in a while and if there was a way to get ascendent materials besides playing the single hardest, most difficult to organize activity in the entire game.

But, but we just got the Thorn.

Thorn is cool, and it's a great prestige piece to wear around the tower, but it's not a go-to primary that I can use on high level activities. the fun of the game was trying ever harder activities, getting ever better gear, but now I just want what I had back, so I'm gonna be stuck playing the same tedious stuff over and over until that happens. And truthfully, I know that even if I play this game for the rest of my life I'm never going to see that gun with that exact combination of random upgrades ever again.

Then what's the point of these stupid queens missions? Why would I even bother spending time doing them when all I get is the same two pieces of armor that I can't even use over and over again anyways? do they really think anyone gives a crap about a handful of crap tier guns and ass ugly decorative items?

as for he cave farming, they wouldn't have this problem if engrams actually gave you half decent crap every once in a while and if there was a way to get ascendent materials besides playing the single hardest, most difficult to organize activity in the entire game.

Thorn is cool, and it's a great prestige piece to wear around the tower, but it's not a go-to primary that I can use on high level activities. the fun of the game was trying ever harder activities, getting ever better gear, but now I just want what I had back, so I'm gonna be stuck playing the same tedious stuff over and over until that happens. And truthfully, I know that even if I play this game for the rest of my life I'm never going to see that gun with that exact combination of random upgrades ever again.

People were breaking down the queens armor for shards and energy. But that's supposedly being patched.so idk queens bounty is useless to me now.

Okay, I'm gonna be totally honest...Bounties are certainly the way to go for quick level ups, and even doing Crucible match making will make you level up faster than playing the story mode.

However, I'm a little pissed off over the fact I'm playing mostly with ppl who are in the 20's or close to the max 30 level, have all these abilities and skills that I have yet to achieve and then some of them messaging me telling me to "Suck a dick" or "Go back to playing co-op n00b" which that had me scratching my head.

I try my best, I don't jerk around and I take my playing as serious as I can while also trying to have fun. But it doesn't help me or my team that everyone is at a much higher level.

Why I hate online play in a nutshell.

That Destiny has traditional shooter multiplayer matchmaking while implementing an RPG-esque gear+skill system that ensures different people have wildly different capabilities is not HELPING, but it's not the root problem.

I've not run into that yet. All the messages and communication I've gotten out of this game has been questions about gear and people asking me to join their fireteam to do activities. PVP is fun if you have someone to play with. As for leveling, it's pretty easy to hit level 20 without doing up PVP at all, and you don't need to be that kitted out or upgraded to still rock people in pvp IMO.

Anyways, the mourning period over the tragic loss of my gun was short and I've moved on to a new favorite weapon. I completed the weekly nightfall strike and got the most gorgeous, badass legendary hand cannon ever out of it.

Red_Hand_IX.jpg

I also picked up Suros Regime from Xur. It's pretty fabulous, but that hand cannon is just... Well, the hand cannon got me through the final two stages of the raid, and I had to carry pretty heavily a couple times.

And I also got a pretty cool LMG out of the raid too, although Super Good Advice is still just such a beast.

I've not run into that yet. All the messages and communication I've gotten out of this game has been questions about gear and people asking me to join their fireteam to do activities. PVP is fun if you have someone to play with. As for leveling, it's pretty easy to hit level 20 without doing up PVP at all, and you don't need to be that kitted out or upgraded to still rock people in pvp IMO.

I've actually got no communications whatsoever. Which kind of surprises me after "the Crucible fiasco"

And it's totally easy to do level 20 purely in story missions. The problem comes when you have to grind items to level further.

As far as the crucible goes, I'm not doing it again until I have access to rumble mode again. I don't care if I get my ass whooped, but I'm not dragging a team down with me in my undergeared incompetence.

Speaking of grinding items... first purple gear acquired today. Bought it from my vanguard adviser in the war room. And it bumped me up two levels.

Anyways, the mourning period over the tragic loss of my gun was short and I've moved on to a new favorite weapon. I completed the weekly nightfall strike and got the most gorgeous, badass legendary hand cannon ever out of it.

Red_Hand_IX.jpg

That's pretty sweet.

Although I'm once again reminded that Bungie's weapon designer doesn't actually know how a gun WORKS and is just sticking gun-looking parts onto a gun-looking frame. If the hammer hits the TOP of your revolver cylinder, the bullet shouldn't come out of the BOTTOM of the cylinder.

That's pretty sweet.

Although I'm once again reminded that Bungie's weapon designer doesn't actually know how a gun WORKS and is just sticking gun-looking parts onto a gun-looking frame. If the hammer hits the TOP of your revolver cylinder, the bullet shouldn't come out of the BOTTOM of the cylinder.

These aren't regular black-powder firearms, they're science-magic guns. Everything in Destiny is science magic, you know. The hammer has some other purpose, or it's indirectly related to firing. Because science magic.

As for comments about the game itself, it suffers from Bungie. A lot of the gameplay is terribly fun, because this is a Bungie game. They make really fun shooters. But a lot of the gameplay is terrible, full stop, because this is a Bungie game. They have no idea how to MMORPG. I'll let the lack of story campaign at the moment slide- we're not yet a month into this game. I can also deal with the level cap, despite higher-level enemies existing, because it is early on, and having a ton of people with a huge level advantage out of the gate isn't helpful to anybody. But I can't forgive Bungie's general misunderstanding of how MMO gaming works, and their enormous presumptuousness in saying "that isn't our dream for how Destiny will be played." I'm pretty sick of "Bungie's dream". No, screw your dream, I'm the one who bought the game.

The most fun parts of Halo 3 and Halo Reach were had in Forge Mode, precisely where players went to say "forget the developers, let's make our own fun." Farming is an integral part of MMOs. So is level-grinding. These are oddly hypnotic parts of the fun of an MMO. If your continued success in the game is dependent upon items dropping from slain enemies, then of course you're going to want an efficient method to kill many bad guys and find that sweet, sweet loot. Drop rates suck, so farming is the only way to get anything cool. For Bungie to kill that for the sake of "their dream" is highly presumptuous. As if somehow Destiny, as an MMO game, is incredibly different from all other MMOs.

And for that matter, where is trading? My buddy and I play as Titans, and we've each gotten several pieces of Warlock gear, which is COMPLETELY useless to us, because even when broken down it only gives Hadronic Essence, which isn't useful to Titans at all. And of course, we can't trade with our Warlock friend, who has gotten a couple pieces of Titan gear in his travels. If you're not going to allow trading, then make it so drops are always class-specific. There are also no good sinks for glimmer. I have well over 20,000 of the stuff, and nowhere to use it. All the gear sold for glimmer is inferior to what I've gotten out in the field just for shooting at things (which give me glimmer anyway) and there's not much draw to spend glimmer on things like ships or sparrows, which don't have any gameplay advantages and don't look cool enough to blow the credits on anyway. Shaders cost glimmer, but I'm not into any of the only four which have shown up on the market anyway, and the only one I really liked was an exclusive limited-time bonus for preordering the new Call of Booty game at Gamestop.

And then there's the Crucible. It's supposed to nullify level advantages, but instead of it playing like Halo with standard-issue weapons and armor, in Destiny, higher-level players have more powerful abilities, regardless of whether they're in the co-op world, or the Crucible. This not only makes the game exceedingly uncompetitive for people nearer level 20 than 30 (and forget anyone below level 21) but it fails to address the poor game balance between Warlocks and Titans. (And forget being a Hunter) Warlock is far and away the most powerful class in Destiny. The improved defense and weapon-handling stats Titans get pale in comparison to the ranged abilities of Warlocks, as well as their quick recovery and ability cooldown effects. My super attack has an effective range of a few meters around me, and can't really be aimed until I'm in range of the target's shotgun. The Warlock supers can be aimed from afar, and are every bit as deadly. Plus they get two grenade uses once they reach a certain level. The only thing Titans have going for them is a slightly more powerful melee that, once you level way the hell up, can sometimes initiate health recovery.

Beyond that, I'm really attached to some of the armor and weapons I've earned and fought with, despite having superior gear now. I'd still like to be able to appreciate the gear that got me where I am, but aside from dropping it in the vault and letting it sit, there's no way for me to do that. I'm not saying I want something like player housing, but I want something like player housing. That's a secondary concern, to be fair, but I just have to say, I had a lot of fun with Skyrim's Hearthfire DLC, and I always played Architect in Star Wars Galaxies, for very similar reasons.

All in all, Destiny has made a fun shooter, but they have no idea what they're doing with an MMO. The only way this could be worse in that regard is if they hired John Smedley. Excuse me, the mere mention of his name has caused me to have an aneurysm. I'm going to seek medical treatment now.

That's pretty sweet.

If were going to get in to how these guns work, explain why it even has a hammer when it clearly has no way of shooting physical bullets. there's no holes in the front of the cylinder, it's clearly completely closed off in the front. and the whole thing apparently runs off some sort of universal battery because when you reload you just shove in what looks like a D-cell into the cylinder.

Also, why does Thorn have a hammer at all when the thing shoots green death lasers?

These aren't regular black-powder firearms, they're science-magic guns. Everything in Destiny is science magic, you know. The hammer has some other purpose, or it's indirectly related to firing. Because science magic.

I was HOPING it was purely cosmetic. But that would be extremely dumb.

Admittedly, less dumb than "Mercury became a garden world."

As for comments about the game itself, it suffers from Bungie. A lot of the gameplay is terribly fun, because this is a Bungie game. They make really fun shooters. But a lot of the gameplay is terrible, full stop, because this is a Bungie game. They have no idea how to MMORPG. I'll let the lack of story campaign at the moment slide- we're not yet a month into this game. I can also deal with the level cap, despite higher-level enemies existing, because it is early on, and having a ton of people with a huge level advantage out of the gate isn't helpful to anybody.

More or less. The shooter parts are all fun, the MMORPG parts are all terrible.

PERSONALLY, I would have discarded the level mechanic entirely and make the entire game function like it does once you hit level 20. XP gains you skill points and coins of light, but your gear is what makes you stronger and tougher. And if overall gear quality is represented by a single "level" ranking, then so be it.

As-is, I feel cheated. The game I thought I was buying, the game I enjoyed for twenty levels, is not the game I have now unless I roll a new character.

But I can't forgive Bungie's general misunderstanding of how MMO gaming works, and their enormous presumptuousness in saying "that isn't our dream for how Destiny will be played." I'm pretty sick of "Bungie's dream". No, screw your dream, I'm the one who bought the game.

Eh, I'd do my darnedest to discourage people from sitting there blankly shooting at a cave for six hours at a time too.

What they know now is you reduce the spawn rate a little at a time over several patches, without telling anyone. Don't tell them "This is dumb guys, go have fun in the Crucible or something. BTW, we've nerfed your cave."

Just DO it. And do it subtle-like. Maybe keep the spawn rate the same, but make the drop quality reduce with each successive spawn in a given window of time.

There's a lot of things they COULD do. They chose transparency and honesty, and I'd like to think that can be respected even if you disagree with their thoughts on gameplay.

Farming is an integral part of MMOs. So is level-grinding. These are oddly hypnotic parts of the fun of an MMO.

Disagree. They are the worst parts of any game, IMNSHO.

I have no patience for farming and grinding whatsoever. An hour spent farming is an hour I could've spent doing something fun instead.

But I will ACCIDENTALLY farm if the gameplay is enjoyable enough. Just run around picking fights and cappin' fools and suddenly I'm buried in items, currency, and XP I wasn't looking for.

If your continued success in the game is dependent upon items dropping from slain enemies, then of course you're going to want an efficient method to kill many bad guys and find that sweet, sweet loot. Drop rates suck, so farming is the only way to get anything cool. For Bungie to kill that for the sake of "their dream" is highly presumptuous. As if somehow Destiny, as an MMO game, is incredibly different from all other MMOs.

And other MMOs tweak those things all the time to encourage or discourage certain forms of play.

They're just less up-front about it.

And the upcoming 1.0.2 patch appears to make better gear easier to acquire, since legendary engrams are guaranteed to generate legendary loot, and are added to the reward pool for completing daily story and weekly strike missions.

http://www.bungie.net/7_102-Patch-Preview/en/News/News?aid=12202

People are gonna be pissed about that "legendary engrams will be demoted to rare" note, but I'd wager nothing is actually CHANGING with them. They're just swapping the icon color to match the new classification scheme. You'll still hold an identical bell curve in your pockets.

I think they underestimated how much trouble rounding good gear up was going to be and cause, honestly.

I don't think they wanted people to feel like they had to grind for rep or farm for hours.

But that's where the game is now, and they're trying to figure out how to make it a fast game again.

And for that matter, where is trading? My buddy and I play as Titans, and we've each gotten several pieces of Warlock gear, which is COMPLETELY useless to us, because even when broken down it only gives Hadronic Essence, which isn't useful to Titans at all. And of course, we can't trade with our Warlock friend, who has gotten a couple pieces of Titan gear in his travels. If you're not going to allow trading, then make it so drops are always class-specific.

Pretty sure the thought is that you can run more than one character, given how the vaults and glimmer are per-account and not per-character. I've rolled one of each race and class at this point, though I'm still playing my huntress mostly.

There are also no good sinks for glimmer. I have well over 20,000 of the stuff, and nowhere to use it.

I'd say give it to me, since I only have two grand, but... no trading.

But really, I've run into a problem I never expected: I'm out of weapon parts. I have three decent guns with upgrades pending because I don't have the parts.

Screw legendary drops. I need more crap guns I can tear down. :p

And then there's the Crucible. It's supposed to nullify level advantages, but instead of it playing like Halo with standard-issue weapons and armor, in Destiny, higher-level players have more powerful abilities, regardless of whether they're in the co-op world, or the Crucible. This not only makes the game exceedingly uncompetitive for people nearer level 20 than 30 (and forget anyone below level 21) but it fails to address the poor game balance between Warlocks and Titans. (And forget being a Hunter)

Yeah, the Crucible is a mess. I can but hope they are taking a good hard look at how they do matchmaking.

Beyond that, I'm really attached to some of the armor and weapons I've earned and fought with, despite having superior gear now. I'd still like to be able to appreciate the gear that got me where I am, but aside from dropping it in the vault and letting it sit, there's no way for me to do that.

It'd be nice if owning gear unlocked that model and color combination for application to custom gear.

I finally gave up and scrapped my noob gear because it was never going to see use again.

The ability to apply shaders per-piece would be nice also. Or even just to apply them to everything except the class item. Just because I want my hunter to run around in bright purple like this is Saint's Row doesn't mean I want my hunter's CAPE to be that same bright purple.

Gear customization is something I always want, but never get.

All in all, Destiny has made a fun shooter, but they have no idea what they're doing with an MMO.

On the upside, they got the mechanics right first try. The MMO parts can all be ironed out.

And shooting stuff is fun enough that I drop in on patrol missions just to shoot grunts for a bit.

Then raid the level 20 hive nest in Russia.

Thrall are the funnest things to kill ever and if the legendary cave had been a hive nest, I might would've headed out there just to shoot thrall all day, with loot as a secondary bonus.

Honestly, the news updates have made it clear that they know things don't work right and are trying to fix it.

The most fun parts of Halo 3 and Halo Reach were had in Forge Mode, precisely where players went to say "forget the developers, let's make our own fun." Farming is an integral part of MMOs. So is level-grinding. These are oddly hypnotic parts of the fun of an MMO. If your continued success in the game is dependent upon items dropping from slain enemies, then of course you're going to want an efficient method to kill many bad guys and find that sweet, sweet loot. Drop rates suck, so farming is the only way to get anything cool. For Bungie to kill that for the sake of "their dream" is highly presumptuous. As if somehow Destiny, as an MMO game, is incredibly different from all other MMOs.

two points on this. First, you're primary method of getting better gear isn't meant to be through random drops from mobs, it's supposed to be from completing activities. I don't see how it's presumptuous or wrong to expect you to challenge yourself as a player and go after increasingly harder objectives to get better stuff. sitting in front of a cave shooting monsters as they spawn is stupid and cheap and should not reward you in the same way as spending the same amount of time playing a high level strike the raid that takes planing, teamwork and skill.

The second and more important point; Destiny isn't an MMO. It was never sold as an MMO and yet people keep insisting on calling it one. Destiny is as much an MMO as GTA online was an MMO. Honestly GTA online is probably the most directly comparable game to Destiny, the big difference being that GTA online is broken and crap.

And for that matter, where is trading? My buddy and I play as Titans, and we've each gotten several pieces of Warlock gear, which is COMPLETELY useless to us, because even when broken down it only gives Hadronic Essence, which isn't useful to Titans at all. And of course, we can't trade with our Warlock friend, who has gotten a couple pieces of Titan gear in his travels. If you're not going to allow trading, then make it so drops are always class-specific.

There's no trading because you're supposed to play every class. you're literally skipping two thirds of the game if you only play as one character.

There are also no good sinks for glimmer. I have well over 20,000 of the stuff, and nowhere to use it. All the gear sold for glimmer is inferior to what I've gotten out in the field just for shooting at things (which give me glimmer anyway) and there's not much draw to spend glimmer on things like ships or sparrows, which don't have any gameplay advantages and don't look cool enough to blow the credits on anyway. Shaders cost glimmer, but I'm not into any of the only four which have shown up on the market anyway, and the only one I really liked was an exclusive limited-time bonus for preordering the new Call of Booty game at Gamestop.

again, if you were playing high level activities you would be going through your glimmer. It took probably 10,000 glimmer+ worth of ammo packs to compete the raid. I've hit the cap before, but I've quickly found some reason in game to sink me back to poverty.

Beyond that, I'm really attached to some of the armor and weapons I've earned and fought with, despite having superior gear now. I'd still like to be able to appreciate the gear that got me where I am, but aside from dropping it in the vault and letting it sit, there's no way for me to do that. I'm not saying I want something like player housing, but I want something like player housing. That's a secondary concern, to be fair, but I just have to say, I had a lot of fun with Skyrim's Hearthfire DLC, and I always played Architect in Star Wars Galaxies, for very similar reasons.

ok, I'll give you that. Technically you should be breaking down gear to upgrade the stuff you've got, but I'd like to be able to accumulate themed sets and keep a collection of exotic items in storage just to admire. Even if I don't use it, they're still cool to look at.

That's pretty sweet.

Looks like a Chiappa rhino or Vash's revoler

50DS-2.jpg

Note: I did not know this gun existed until I Googled upside down revolver

I'm doing okay, I'm almost at level 18. I just completed 3 bounties all having to do with multiplayer and that got me 12,500 exp...that's not a bad haul within 1 hour time.

However I'll only play Crucible if I have a bounty to complete and think it's doable.

Right now the toughest vanguard bounties I have are 20 sniper rifle kills without damage and 3 kills 20 tries with my super kill, THAT one has been my hardest. I should of gotten it but ppl in the game get in my way and ruin a kill and I don't get the achievement marker.

I want to play high-level activities, but after you've beaten a strike once, you don't get rewarded all that well later, and well, I've beaten all the strikes it'll let me do at level 22. I'd like to play Queen's Wrath or Vault of Glass, but I'm still 4 levels away from either and there's no good way to get the gear you need to level up to that. And while Vanguard Playlist strikes give better rewards, they keep putting me into The Summoning Pits, which I've played 4 times already and I'm entirely sick of.

And I still haven't found a single piece of exotic or legendary gear, despite playing as much of the game as a working man can, and even spending a bunch of time farming the cave. (Which was still fun for me in the hypnotizing way that blasting wave after wave of low-tier enemy can be)

Destiny sits in a limbo between the two genres it shares most of its DNA with. As a shooter, it's fun, but the competitive multiplayer is so far out of balance, I can't play it. As an MMO, which it TOTALLY is, it's subpar, because its maker refuses to treat it like an MMO.* And I'm not really into the Warlock or Hunter gameplay. I've been playing too many run-around-sneaky-and-kill-things-that-way games lately to enjoy gameplay that doesn't involve tanking, so Hunter is right out, and Warlock doesn't conform to my highly-mobile punch-things-in-the-mouth sense of RECREATIONAL MURDERING. People are going to choose to play a game the way they want to play a game. Bungie is famous for treating its games like Lucas and patching and retconning in the name of their "dream". They make fun shooters, but come on, it's our game to break. You wouldn't be in the business of being that big a company, working under the first, then the second largest publishers in the industry, if it weren't at some high level about making money for it. If I have a preferred style of gameplay, and the game does offer that play style as a valid method, why should I be punished for choosing it above the play styles I don't care as much for?

I'm not trying to sound like an entitled prick here, I'm just upset that the game balance sucks.

*And it is an MMO. It's a consistent, always-online, multiplayer open-world game, where you're in-server with many other players simultaneously, working toward personal goals above a single, specific one, and where the primary force for play is cooperative and competitive missions with other players, and the method for telling the overarching story is via expansions and updates. It is massive, it is necessarily multiplayer, and it is always online. It's like GTAO, but that's because GTAO is an MMO as well.

Looks like a Chiappa rhino or Vash's revoler

50DS-2.jpg

Note: I did not know this gun existed until I Googled upside down revolver

What the crap?

I would LOVE to see the mechanism on that thing.

But I grudgingly withdraw the complaint about revolvers.

And go back to simply laughing at the reload animation on my shotgun, which reloads faster after melee kills.

Looks like me character is havin' a flipping seizure as she crams the shells into the gun.

I've been playing too many run-around-sneaky-and-kill-things-that-way games lately to enjoy gameplay that doesn't involve tanking, so Hunter is right out

I'm supposed to be playing sneaky? Wow, I got this totally wrong. I've just been running up and introducing faces to my dagger. I mean, I HAVE guns, but none of them really make that satisfying SHUNK that the knife does when it lands home.

*And it is an MMO. It's a consistent, always-online, multiplayer open-world game, where you're in-server with many other players simultaneously, working toward personal goals above a single, specific one, and where the primary force for play is cooperative and competitive missions with other players, and the method for telling the overarching story is via expansions and updates. It is massive, it is necessarily multiplayer, and it is always online. It's like GTAO, but that's because GTAO is an MMO as well.

MMOFPRPSG

What the crap?

I would LOVE to see the mechanism on that thing.

SCIENCE MAGIC!

chiappa_06.jpg

I'm supposed to be playing sneaky? Wow, I got this totally wrong. I've just been running up and introducing faces to my dagger. I mean, I HAVE guns, but none of them really make that satisfying SHUNK that the knife does when it lands home.

I personally like to stab monsters AND shoot them; just to cover all bases.

SCIENCE MAGIC!

That... sure is a thing.

*shakes head in wonder*

I personally like to stab monsters AND shoot them; just to cover all bases.

Tru dat.

I've taken to sniping with a hand cannon, just because scout rifles don't have enough oomph(something they've promised to fix "soon") and my sniper rifle has a max ammo capacity like a rawket lawnchair. And my revolver is stupidly accurate at absurd distances.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.

Edit:

Oh yeah. Got my first purple engram tonight. It decrypted into purple gauntlets. That I actually needed.

I mention this mainly to irk everyone that's suffered under the tyranny of the cryptarchs. :p

Edited by JB0