What were your Favorite PS2 games of this year

jwinges

Just bought my PS2 in October, so haven't had much chance to play many games yet.

MY two favorite games so far which I have recently completed are the new Macross game and also the FPS game 'Judge Dredd - Dredd vs Death'.

I'm just starting on Row-Boat-Tek Battle Cry, but it's pretty awful IMO and I don't think I'll be able to play through the whole game.

I've also bought Devil May Cry, Ace Combat 4 and Armored Core Silent Line. Haven't played them yet, but looking forward to playing.

Graham

What was it that people hated so about Xenosaga? I'm quite happy with it....

Even though I like Xenosaga a lot, I can definitely say why people don't like it. There are so many cutscenes, and some of them seem to drag on. That being said, there's definitely a lot I like about the game. The way for gaining levels (using the Tech and Ether points) I like and the same with skills. And the EVS is good. There are a lot of cutscenes in the beginning, but there are a lot less in the end.

Maybe but there is also the fact that they constantly put you in situations and battles where you are forced to use your Gears(don't remember the name used in Xenosaga) with no way to repair them. You die if you don't use them cause there are so many enemies on screen and they hit insanely high even if you try to level up your characters. Top that off with limited areas where to pick up health items or ether items cause you end up running through a lot of them or ether skills after each random battle if you don't use you mechs and you are forced to use them anyway even if you don't want to. The leveling system is another thing I had beef with. The setup was messed up like that. I perfer Xenogears where there were situations when the Gears were needed and situations when you were on foot. The enemies were scaled because of that. You didn't get any insanly hard hitting mobs when you were on foot when you were inside buildings but when you were out in the open you were expected to use the gears. Also there wasn't any problem repairing them since you could buy attachments to do that which aren't in Saga.

Edited by Effect

Maybe but there is also the fact that they constantly put you in situations and battles where you are forced to use your Gears(don't remember the name used in Xenosaga) with no way to repair them. You die if you don't use them cause there are so many enemies on screen and they hit insanely high even if you try to level up your characters. Top that off with limited areas where to pick up health items or ether items cause you end up running through a lot of them or ether skills after each random battle if you don't use you mechs and you are forced to use them anyway even if you don't want to. The leveling system is another thing I had beef with. The setup was messed up like that. I perfer Xenogears where there were situations when the Gears were needed and situations when you were on foot. The enemies were scaled because of that. You didn't get any insanly hard hitting mobs when you were on foot when you were inside buildings but when you were out in the open you were expected to use the gears. Also there wasn't any problem repairing them since you could buy attachments to do that which aren't in Saga.

Uhm, yes there are. Guard recovery accessories recover 10% of FHP when you guard....

Frankly, I've not had a problem with getting my butt kicked. You just have to know when you need your AGWS and when you don't.... properly accessorized, an AGWS rarely has too many problems.

I will admit that Xenogears has a better story than Xenosaga, though....

Edited by gnollman

I thought it was a pretty good year for PS2. ZOE II, Time Crisis III, Castlevania, Fatal Frame II, Megaman X7, Need for Speed Underground... although I do have to go with Abombz, I'm still all about Ace Combat 4. I really liked the Onimusha games, too. Oh yeah, and while I'm at it, I picked up Encounters In Space... probably not as good as Federation Vs. Zeon, but definately a lot better than Journey to Jaburo and Zeonic Front.

I will admit that Xenogears has a better story than Xenosaga, though....

I think Xenosaga is to tedious, it took the worst parts of Xenogears instead of the better ones, Xenogears gave you more and much better game play options and less 45 min clips. I think I set my hopes to high for the sequel/prequel and that's why I didn't like it.

Don't think I've played enough 'new' games.

My list consists of GT3, Ace Combat 04, Federation vs. Zeon, Auto Modelista, SOCOM and Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero would probably be at the top of my list. Armored Core 3 is an honorable mention, though I had some gripes about it, it is a great game.

Not enough of the games I have are really worth mentioning. Defender is definitely the WORST of my collection... by all means, avoid that game.

Interestingly, if you're looking for a "DOA Xtreme Volleyball"-esq game for the PS2, pick up Summer Heat Beach Volleyball. Amazingly, it's more than just pretty girls... It's actually an amazingly good volleyball game! And it's got guys if you're in to that sort of thing, not that there's any wrong with that :lol: The "beach house" mode seems to be a little lacking, but really, it's a good game... Not like DOAX which is heavy fanservice followed by a tacked on, halfassed game.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

I really liked Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero. I love coming home after a stressful day and sometimes just doing the freeride with the traffic on and riding around the highway. Relaxing. Isn't there suppose to be a Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 coming out? I know Zero was pretty much a PS2 version of 2 that was on the Dreamcast.

I really liked Tokyo Extreme Racer Zero. I love coming home after a stressful day and sometimes just doing the freeride with the traffic on and riding around the highway. Relaxing. Isn't there suppose to be a Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 coming out? I know Zero was pretty much a PS2 version of 2 that was on the Dreamcast.

Tokyo Extreme Racer 3 (I believe it's called Zero One in Japan) is supposed to be out already, though I have yet to see it. Word is it's only like $20! And licenced cars!! Forget NFSU, TER3 is the game to get!!

Vostok 7

Fav games of this year?

GTA3:Vice City

AC3: Silent Line

Currently Secret Weapons Over Normandy is in my PS2, as I just got it and have yet to beat it. I have yet to make up my mind about it. It's my first "non-serious" flight sim experiance, but it seems fun enough so far. Only complaint so far would be frustrating missions (what ever happened to good old fashioned "fighter sweep," and "intercept" like in Reb Baron, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, Aces of the Pacific, etc.?) and difficultly of controls (banking does not alter the flight path, and the rudder control is pretty awkward). I like the variety of aircraft though, and the slow-mo option lessens the control problem.

I only rent like one game a month but here are my favorite games of this year.

Grand Theft Auto Vice City and Dynasty Warriors 4

Way of the Samurai is good too but I don't know if it came out this year or the last.

Dynasty Warrios is alot of fun. I can't wait for Samurai Warriors.... the Japanese based Dynasty Warriors game. :)

Best Game 2003 PS2: Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Now THIS is how to resurrect a forgotten series!!!

Biggest Surprise: Freedom Fighters. Real time Tactical Action made simple and fun.

Biggest Dissapointment: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. Decent presentation. Just that the design's been done before (Remember RYGAR???), and static camera angles SUCK

Moral of 2003: No matter how improved the sequels are, Borish characters still suck (Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter)

It's all about Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and GTA III (which I only got this year).

I'm also into the Simpsons - Hit & Run (GTA-esque and manna for Simpsons fans).

Biggest letdowns -

True Crime: Streets of LA - a sad wanna-be GTA.

Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness - bleh.

Still want to get -

Prince of Persia

Manhunt

Biggest Dissapointment: Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. Decent presentation. Just that the design's been done before (Remember RYGAR???), and static camera angles SUCK

You are saying that even with that... it was a bigger disapointment then Devil May Cry 2? :blink:

Devil May Cry 2 was your run of the mill sequel. The team promised more of the same, and in a way, they made true on that claim.

Castlevania was IMO more hyped to be the true rejuvenation of a classic series. They (Konami) promised that the series would go to a new direction while staying true to Castlevania. They didn't fufill that promise. It played more like Rygar than DMC. Hence the biggest dissapointment of the year to me.

You are saying that even with that... it was a bigger disapointment then Devil May Cry 2? :blink:

Devil May Cry 2 was your run of the mill sequel. The team promised more of the same, and in a way, they made true on that claim.

Castlevania was IMO more hyped to be the true rejuvenation of a classic series. They (Konami) promised that the series would go to a new direction while staying true to Castlevania. They didn't fufill that promise. It played more like Rygar than DMC. Hence the biggest dissapointment of the year to me.

I see. I never really expected anyone to have their hopes up for this game after the fiasco that was Castlevania 64 and its "add on". I didn't and I came out surprised, really. To me it felt much more like DMC because Rygar didn't have the whole "walk around a map killing everything in each room", it had a much more progressive feel then Castlevania and DMC had... hence the comparison.

As for DMC, sure the team promised more of the same, but they provided more of the same in a downgraded notion.

I just got a PS2, but I like the 2 games I played for it so far - Kingdom Hearts and Fatal Frame(a scary as *(&89 game! :blink: )

How did you manage to find Fatal Frame? Even used copies are rare and command like $45 if you can find it.

Fatal Frame 2 just came out, grab it before it vanishes like the first one. It takes a while to build up but does get really scary towards the end.

Biggest letdowns -

Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness - bleh.

Wasn't it, though... I was really looking forward to this game, and even suffered through it up to Van Croy's apartment... at which point I lost all my weapons but the one I was carrying. That's when I put it down and quit....

Story was promising... but they really needed another couple of months development on this one....

I think they focused so much on getting it out before the movie that both wound up suffering for it....

I've only played three games on my PS2 all year.

Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness

Final Fantasy X

Bloodrayne

Out of the three, I'd have to say that Bloodrayne was my favorite of them all. There's just something about being a bloodthirsty, foul mouthed vampire going around shooting and slicing things to pieces. The bad thing about it though was that I loved her voice, but when I saw what her voice actor looked like I wanted to crucify myself...

Now only if I can get her to straddle me like she is doing to that Nazi (Without the violent implications of course)...

post-26-1071289528_thumb.gif

Edited by Noriko Takaya

I just got a PS2, but I like the 2 games I played for it so far - Kingdom Hearts and Fatal Frame(a scary as *(&89 game! :blink: )

How did you manage to find Fatal Frame? Even used copies are rare and command like $45 if you can find it.

Fatal Frame 2 just came out, grab it before it vanishes like the first one. It takes a while to build up but does get really scary towards the end.

http://www.gamefly.com/

Pretty good rental service - works like Netflix. With how varible my ability to pay video games are these days, it works out cheaper this way.

Try Ebay. I just checked it, you could get it for about 20-25 bucks.

Edited by Wes