What were your Favorite PS2 games of this year

jwinges

Since we're at the end of the year I thought we should have a get it or forget it list of PS2 games. What are your favorite games of the last year? WHat's in your ps2 now? and what games would you not get again?

My Fav's are Macross, and DBZ bodokai 2.

Current: DBZ bodokai 2

Forget: Haven't bought a bad game this year.

My favorite of the year: Tenchu 3, still play this game constantly

Second : NASCAR Thunder 2003

Currently playing: Castlevainia. Not bad for a 3D Castlevainia game. This guy looks too much like Dante from Devil May Cry

Bad game: Hmm....Devil May Cry 2 was dissapointing but not terrible.

I'd say the new Armored Core Silent Line. Same old crap. Nothing new or innovative. This series needs an overhaul.

Most surprising would be the Macross game. Its good. Shallow but good.

Also my wife bought a Gamecube so now I have more games to buy/play.

Edited by dejr8bud

Best PS2 game this year? I don't think there was a title that really stood out.

I would say Castlevania (oh sweet sweet Lament of Innocense song!), Breath of Fire V, Guilty Gear XX, Prince of Persia, 2nd Super Robot Wars Alpha and Disgaea.

As for bad games.... I can say I was very disapointed at Devil May Cry 2. Seriously... how the heck were they able to screw up that game so bad? :blink:

As for the best PS2 game available.... Ace Combat 04 hands down. :)

Edited by Abombz!!

Right now I have Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII in my PS2. Castlevania seems to be getting alot of attention, and Final Fantasy X-2 is of course blowing doors out everywhere. I dunno, I haven't done a ton of gaming this year.

And yes, Ace Combat 04 was an amazing game.

Best games I bought this year, Madden 04 then midnight club 2..

my faves are still AC4, GTA Vice, GT3, Tekken4, and Tetris...

Currently in there is:

[i know its a game from last year but a pleasant surprise for me] Mad Maestro---just picked it up from TRU for $9.99---was gonna be a re-wrap present for my niece but now I think I'm gonna keep it for myself :p

There are a lot of old games in my list, but honestly they've all stayed in the shrinkwrap until I got bored and started playing this year. :lol:

Favorites: Tenchu 3, Onimusha 2, Silent Hill 2 Greatest Hits version, Fatal Frame / Rei, Lost War Chronicles

Current: Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly / Rei - Akai Chou

Would not buy again: Resident Evil: Dead Aim, Combat Queen (this was a loaner so I never paid for it, my friend did though and I feel sorry for him)

Currently in there is:

[i know its a game from last year but a pleasant surprise for me] Mad Maestro---just picked it up from TRU for $9.99---was gonna be a re-wrap present for my niece but now I think I'm gonna keep it for myself :p

Hehe, how was it? I bought it when it was priced down to $19.99 but it's still in its shrinkwrap because I never found the time and mood for it. When I played it at a TRU floor demo it felt like there's a bit of a learning curve to get through, even though I am fairly adequate at Parappa and UmJammer Lammy.

Here's a little gem that few have heard of, "Incredible Crisis" for the PS1. If you can find it cheap, I recommend picking it up. It's a collection of mini games, but the real fun is the wacky plot that unfolds as you follow the lives of a typical Japanese family caught in their most unbelievable day which involves disaster, bank robbery, and even alien invasion!

Currently in there is:

Hehe, how was it? I bought it when it was priced down to $19.99 but it's still in its shrinkwrap because I never found the time and mood for it. When I played it at a TRU floor demo it felt like there's a bit of a learning curve to get through, even though I am fairly adequate at Parappa and UmJammer Lammy.

Give it a chance. It has a pretty steep learning curve and I almost gave up on it when I first started. Pushing at the right pressure takes a little getting used to, but really gets addictive once you have the baton-setup that's right for you. Trying to unlock the music is what keeps drawing me in.

I'm currently playing SOCOM II. But there have been soooooo many great titles this year.

I also played the hell out of Madden 2004, Tiger Woods 2004, but my favorite must have been NBA Street Volume 2. B))

Right now I don't own any new releases but I did get older titles at Gamestop. They had a buy 2 used games get 1 free deal and I got Mark Of Kri, Bloodrayne and the first Onimusha (Warlords). I never played these titles and all will keep me busy.

I also snaged Ehergeiz at Blockbuster. The Dungeon Quest and Othello mini-games are addicting.

The best games on PS2 this year that I've played is

Max Payne

Sly Cooper

Gran Turismo 3

The newest released games I like to get?

Ratchet & Clank 2

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Secret Weapons over Normandy

Max Payne 2

XIII

~G25

Edited by gerwalk25

My favorites for this year would be: .Hack series(Infection, Mutation, Outbreak(still have to buy my own copy, just played others), GTA: Vice City, Suikoden 3, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon

In my system now: Shikoden 3(I didn't get it till early this year)

Games I wouldn't buy again or would stop my self from buying if I had time machine: Xenosaga, Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits.

Edited by Effect

I would just like to add this:

Games I would never buy again if given me the chance, or that I wouldn't play even if someone paid me to: Xenosaga, Unlimited Saga and FFX-2

And ppl.... you don;t know bad untill you play Unlimited SAGA.... that game is the definition of bad, and I love the SAGA series! :blink:

Honeslty I have not interest in playing FFX-2 I just want watch the FMV scenes. I didn't even bother to finish FFX, stopped at the very end and just had no desire to finish which is a first for me with a FF game, I did the same with FF8 now that I think about it. Hmm anyone know if they(the FMVs) are online somewhere?

Edited by Effect

Honeslty I have not interest in playing FFX-2 I just want watch the FMV scenes. I didn't even bother to finish FFX, stopped at the very end and just had no desire to finish which is a first for me with a FF game, I did the same with FF8 now that I think about it. Hmm anyone know if they(the FMVs) are online somewhere?

I Dl'd the FF8 ending off of Kazaa.

Best. Ending. EVER. :p

Cool. I have to look for this now. Pretty much I'd love to get a DVD of someone playing the game straight through, doing all the missions, fighting, etc. FFX was just like an interactive movie where you went from point a to b and watched things play out. I'd honestly pay to watch these things be played since its at the point thats what I'm doing. Just cut out the frustration on my part.

Hey Duke Togo- Is R3K VII worth buying? I was going to pick it up a while ago, but the store clerk said it was a poor entry into the series.

I ended up buying the PTO instead which, although neat, lacked accurate and refined controls during the battle modes (ie- Trying to get your fleet around a peninsula can be quite trying).

Cool. I have to look for this now. Pretty much I'd love to get a DVD of someone playing the game straight through, doing all the missions, fighting, etc. FFX was just like an interactive movie where you went from point a to b and watched things play out. I'd honestly pay to watch these things be played since its at the point thats what I'm doing. Just cut out the frustration on my part.

I would love to see that for Xenosaga too... because that was defenetly a movie disguised as a game. :rolleyes:

I picked up Vice city also this year.... it would be one of my all time FAVORITE games if the camera control weren't so bad at points.. as it is, it'll have to settle for "pretty good".

I SO want to pick up the new Castlevania (they NEED another hit, "Gekka no Nocturne"/Symphony of the night still reigns supreme)

LOL, I did the same thing. That's when I knew that I was burnt out on RPG's.

Top games : ZOE 2, SOCOM 2, GTA Vice City, Need for Speed hot pursuit 2, NBA street Volume 2, Madden 2004, NCAA 2004.

Stinkers : Xenesaga, and know there are more but I can't remember them right now.

Abombz!!, is Lament of Innocence worth it? i hear its not 2-d.....does that mean more Castlevania 64 type controls??

Lament of Innocense is nothing like Castlevania 64. If I was to compare it to something, I would say its Devil May Cry crossed with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Its a good game, not the best, but still fun to play and with plenty of replayability as you can play with 2 other characters after having beat the game, and both of them feel like a completly different experience. The controls handle exactly like in Devil May Cry... so don't worry about them. :)

And the sound is, literally, amazing! And they were nice enough to include the Japanese track, which not enough developers do now a days! :o

Edited by Abombz!!

Its the fact that you don't play the game but watch it. You end up playing for say 5 to 10 mins but then end up watching a 5 to 20 min FMV. Honestly before I got the game I though people were making a big deal out of nothing. That is till found myself dropping the controller and found myself watching Xenosaga and watching a fansub episode of a show on my computer at the same time. The show was almost over when on cut scene ended. That right there really makes me dislike the game. That and the main character makes me want to take a fist to my TV. Ziggy, Momo, and others were cool but I couldn't stand Shion. I was watching more then playing and when I played it was a boring game that seemed unbalanced to me in terms of gameplay and pacing. I played the game on Saturday, well watched it and when I checked out a FAQ I noticed I was almost done with the game and I didn't play nearly enough for the price I payed or start down in front of the game. Don't get me started on the blah storyline in the game. Xeongears completely outclasses this game. I went in Xenosaga with an open mind thinking that people were making things bigger then they actually were only to find out what they said was completely true and more.

Edited by Effect