• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from seeing it. Great film. Hugh is in fine form. The post-credits sequence is worth the ticket price alone but I saw it for free anyway. YAY!!

So it's mindless schlock with lots of big booms, like everything else we've seen this summer?

No, it's just the fact that it is not a "perfect" film. There are flaws, there are some things that don't make sense, but as a good way to kill two hours with one of the greatest cinema heros' of modern times, its fine entertainment. I just know that a lot of haters here will pick up on flaws and use them to paint this film as the worst piece of crap ever made. Same as whats been going on with other great cinema experiences this "summer", (by the way, its winter here, bloody freezing, and we have to go out in freezing weather to see these films so we don't want to waste our time. Please don't assume what we all live in the Northern Hemisphere.), such as Pacific Rim and Man of Steel. Sure, none of these films are perfect, but more people want to see "Grown-Ups 2"?

If we don't support SF genre stuff, Adam Sandler movies are all we are going to get. And I am not saying put up with crap either.

Edited by taksraven

............It is out TODAY!? I thought I had another week! I might see this later today than.

See title: In theaters July 26, 2013.

Unless you went to SDCC. In which case, there was a drawing for an early screening/SDCC exclusive.

No, it's just the fact that it is not a "perfect" film

No film is perfect. Somewhere in the 90's it became OK for summer films to pander to the lowest common denominator. Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay pretty much ruined the summer movie experience.

Story matters. Writing matters. Acting matters. Big robots, super heroes, and big explosions don't make the lack of these ok.

The summer movies I grew up with in the late 70's and 80's make most of this stuff look like made for SyFy crap.

No film is perfect. Somewhere in the 90's it became OK for summer films to pander to the lowest common denominator. Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay pretty much ruined the summer movie experience.

The specific point you're looking for is when CG became common. At that point, producers stopped having to think about how to implement the first ideas of the writers/directors and force them into coming up with something more innovative (and invariably better for the story) due to budget limitations.

The specific point you're looking for is when CG became common. At that point, producers stopped having to think about how to implement the first ideas of the writers/directors and force them into coming up with something more innovative (and invariably better for the story) due to budget limitations.

The post-Jurassic park era

The post-Jurassic park era

You do realise that this is a perception problem you have. A lot of people once believed that Hollywood produced it's best films back in the 1930's and 1940's. Once people start to believe in mythical "Golden era's" they are setting themselves up to enjoy nothing else in the future. Same thing has happened for comics, same thing for music, etc....

You are starting to sound like one of these guys......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAtSw3daGoo

You do realise that this is a perception problem you have. A lot of people once believed that Hollywood produced it's best films back in the 1930's and 1940's. Once people start to believe in mythical "Golden era's" they are setting themselves up to enjoy nothing else in the future. Same thing has happened for comics, same thing for music, etc....

My movie collection reaches back some 80 years, so I definitely do not have an era bias. There are plenty of films made every year that I enjoy. It just so happens almost none of them come out during the summer months.

My perception that many of these movies are mediocre to bad is because they are.

Edited by Duke Togo

It's part and parcel with getting old.

Though, in terms of films, the defining change would be when Star Wars and Jaws were released. That was probably the greatest sea-change in Hollywood - when the producers geared their productions toward making "blockbusters". AKA: the end of New Hollywood.

It's part and parcel with getting old.

Though, in terms of films, the defining change would be when Star Wars and Jaws were released. That was probably the greatest sea-change in Hollywood - when the producers geared their productions toward making "blockbusters". AKA: the end of New Hollywood.

Once again, you are correct :)

(Though, Heaven's Gate is generally considered the death blow to "New Hollywood.")

Edited by Duke Togo

Well, I said I'd wait for word of mouth before I gave this one a chance and word has come, most enthusiastically. Slashfilm posted a very positive reaction to "The Wolverine". Looks like this isn't your average super hero flick and is nothing like the other Wolverine film (so much the better). They say it's big on character and story and only carefully portions out the action scenes.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-wolverine-video-blog-reaction-james-mangold-impresses-with-latest-x-man-movie/

Highly skeptical has just turned into curiously interested :)

Jeez, what is it with moviegoers giving Hollywood so many mulligans with all the hero movies, nowadays? Not happy with the way that last installment turned out? bit of a letdown for fans? turned out to be a bit of a flop? No problem; let's not even wait for the carcass of that last box office D.O.A to finish rotting away from the public's consciousness. Just have some hot shot writers crank out a new script, make some changes in the acting talent rosters, bring in the newest flavor of the week hotshoe director, and we got ourselves a reboot! Let's see if we can get these suckers to fork over some more dough at the theaters, eh?

Superman; The Hulk; Spiderman; X-Men; seems like every comic book franchise that doesn't deliver as promised in ticket sales or fanboy satisfaction gets an automatic go-back-to-start within 2-3 years or something.

ed: meh, I guess it is a self-answering question, in a sense. as long as people keep buying movie tickets, Hollywood's gonna keep getting do-overs...

Edited by reddsun1

Well, I said I'd wait for word of mouth before I gave this one a chance and word has come, most enthusiastically. Slashfilm posted a very positive reaction to "The Wolverine". Looks like this isn't your average super hero flick and is nothing like the other Wolverine film (so much the better). They say it's big on character and story and only carefully portions out the action scenes.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-wolverine-video-blog-reaction-james-mangold-impresses-with-latest-x-man-movie/

Highly skeptical has just turned into curiously interested :)

Yeah, it's big on character, without giving away too much. It's much more of a personal struggle for Wolverine, none of this "Wolverine averting the apocalypse and saving the world" crap.

ed: meh, I guess it is a self-answering question, in a sense. as long as people keep buying movie tickets, Hollywood's gonna keep getting do-overs...

There are some of us who don't see big Hollywood blockbusters UNLESS someone of talent actually makes an honest, geniune attempt at the film. Let's be objective here and understand that good idea or bad, the big Hollywood studios have a quota to fill each year with movies that SOMEONE has to make. Why not take a good idea originally implemented poorly and use the potential of a good filmmaker to take another shot at doing it right? That's how it's SUPPOSED to be done; instead we get far more remakes of great, classic genre films that would have been better left alone. IMO, The Wolverine appears to be a step in the right direction.

Yeah, it's big on character, without giving away too much. It's much more of a personal struggle for Wolverine, none of this "Wolverine averting the apocalypse and saving the world" crap.

This is mentioned in the video blog reaction from the guys on Slashfilm. Taking a break from "origin sotries" and "saving the world" is a refreshing change. I hope I like it.

There are some of us who don't see big Hollywood blockbusters UNLESS someone of talent actually makes an honest, geniune attempt at the film. Let's be objective here and understand that good idea or bad, the big Hollywood studios have a quota to fill each year with movies that SOMEONE has to make. Why not take a good idea originally implemented poorly and use the potential of a good filmmaker to take another shot at doing it right? That's how it's SUPPOSED to be done; instead we get far more remakes of great, classic genre films that would have been better left alone. IMO, The Wolverine appears to be a step in the right direction.

This is mentioned in the video blog reaction from the guys on Slashfilm. Taking a break from "origin sotries" and "saving the world" is a refreshing change. I hope I like it.

That is refreshing, and I may go see this. Watch, I'll end up liking it better than everything else so far this summer, and the movie probably won't get a ton of attention.

That is refreshing, and I may go see this. Watch, I'll end up liking it better than everything else so far this summer, and the movie probably won't get a ton of attention.

I always hold out hope that eventually you'll like something ;)

All joking aside, I must agree with you. This film is receiving little attention (relatively) yet appears to have more potential than all the similar fare made so far this year. As we've come to expect of Hollywood year after year, it is more often the less-anticipated films that result in quality while the hyped movies so frequently disappoint.

Edited by Mr March

I liked the isolated story overall, I hope this affects wolvie's future stories somehow. Really liked Yukio too.

Comments IMO

-The story was very predictable except when his claws were broken, did not expect that to happen at all.

-Silver samurai didn't need to be that big, but I guess Hollywood thinks boss fights need a giant villian. To me, the fight with Mariko's father was better.

-They should have left venom/snake lady all scaled up.

-I hate his bone claws.

-I actually got excited seeing the tact on, special ending for DOFP and I even have a low impression of Brian Singer...which bring up some questions.

Did Yukio and Logan go on a 2 yr vacation? Did she go back to Japan? She's not in DOFP which is why I say Fox tact on that ending. I feel like there's supposed to be another Wolvie movie with Yuko before the special ending.

I was truly looking forward to this movie, but overall I found it to be rather underwhelming. If anything, I found the first Wolverine movie to be far more engaging, especially when it came to the characters; the ones in this movie just couldn't get me to give a damn. There was a decent attempt at injecting humor throughout and for the most part it worked, but too many "why would 'that' ever happen" moments just detracted from the overall experience. Like someone said above, I'd skip the movie ticket or DVD entry fee and just wait for it to get on Netflix...

Saw it in Hong Kong last night. It's an okay film, not great, but not bad either. I enjoyed Pacific Rim a lot more. Though gotta admit that Hugh Jackman's physique looks really nice. Can Agent One explain how to achieve a body like that? :p

On a side note, I can't help but be bothered by the following:

Even though Mariko's fiancee is supposed to be a villain, I truly feel sorry for him. Not only did Wolverine sleep with his girl, he also got thrown off the building by Wolverine. This is wrong at so many levels!