Thoughts on Flashback 2012

VF-15 Banshee

Kawamori is gonna get angry again with all this Yamato VF-4 and FB2012 thing and fans starting to harras him again about Hikaru, Misa and Minmei'a fate that he's probably gonna say they died a horrible horrible death to shut everyone up one more time. hahaha.

Ok, in all seriousness, if I remember correctly, after FB2012 Kawamori wanted to move to other thing but people kept pestering him about them so he just said that Megaroad-01 lost communications near the center of the galaxy and period. Added that Hikaru's voice actor, a close friend of Kawamori commited suicide and Kawamori doesn't want anyone else to voice Hikaru.

I agree too, FB2012 is the perfect sendoff and finale for the original love triangle.

Also, aside from Basara, another reason I hate Macross 7 is how they butchered Max and Millia relationship.

I wondered what brought about their separation and was it as violent as their courtship?

I remember Milia telling Mylene about it (I think it was in one of the Encore episodes). She explained that Max became very controlling, so she wanted Mylene to settle for someone who wasn't a pilot. Otherwise, she'd end up with the same fate as Milia.

I remember Milia telling Mylene about it (I think it was in one of the Encore episodes). She explained that Max became very controlling, so she wanted Mylene to settle for someone who wasn't a pilot. Otherwise, she'd end up with the same fate as Milia.

which is why she set up Mylene with Gamlin right :v:

post-1819-0-05671300-1326365123_thumb.jpg

you guys worry too much

When did that happen?

Their relationship is one of the best parts of Mac 7. A more realistic look at "happily ever after"

They were separated though keep it a secret from the gen population on m7 encore mylain (sp?) Said to Milia "your marriage was a disaster".

In any case, to bring this thread back onto the tracks, one thing that i never really got about the actual music video was the snippets of World War I soldiers marching around.

That was the video for Love Drifts Away. It was about war and how it seperates families and soldiers returning. The live footage adds to the weight of the lyrics.

• 3 weeks later...

While I understood the symbolism of the two Minmays in the FB:2012 video, I'm still a little confused about the part where Minmay was on the stage and Hikaru gave her a mic while Misa put her arms around Minmay. Was Minmay just thinking about them (since it flashes back to the concert at that point) or were they really there at that moment?

It was just a surreal/magical way to transport her back to the night of the concert. Think of it as an actual video with special effects. I mean, you'd think she would have noticed the VF-4 landing in front of her right on the stage. :lol:

The weird thing is, it would seem like that part of it was done 20 years later, if you didn't see the Megaroad and the VF-4 taking off at 2012.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I don't know why, other Macross sequels from Mac II, Mac Plus, Mac 7, Mac 0, Mac F .... none can touched my heart & string my sentimental heartache as that of Flashback 2012.

Watching Flashback 2012 is a haunting beauty to me that goes beyond words ... for me, it is perfect ode to the songstress Minmay, a fitting finale for both SDFM & DYRL.

Sure its had warts, but .... it is a better conclusion to the SDFM & DYRL characters that we so loved.

Personally, I don't know why, other Macross sequels from Mac II, Mac Plus, Mac 7, Mac 0, Mac F .... none can touched my heart & string my sentimental heartache as that of Flashback 2012.

Watching Flashback 2012 is a haunting beauty to me that goes beyond words ... for me, it is perfect ode to the songstress Minmay, a fitting finale for both SDFM & DYRL.

Sure its had warts, but .... it is a better conclusion to the SDFM & DYRL characters that we so loved.

Flashback 2012 is more of an ending credit for DYRL. With the same team that did DYRL, that's why it's striking a cord with us old SDFM/DYRL fan base.

The other true sequels are produced by different people.

Edited by nanoplasm

• 1 month later...

What bugs me about the post-Flashback story of Hikaru, Minmay and Misa is the claim that they went into a black hole located in the center of the Milky Way. Seriously now, anyone who knows anything about astronomy knows that the region near the center of any galaxy is an unsurvivable inferno where all sorts of celestial bodies collide with extreme frequency and extreme force. Sending a colonization fleet there would be a waste of precious resources, if we were to speak from a logistical perspective. If we were to speak from a humanitarian perspective, it would be like sending the crews and the colonists to certain death. As for what black holes do, read a few articles on them and you'll see how plausible for a government or a military or a space agency like the UN Spacy such a decision would be. If they wanted to explore these areas, they could have had the Megaroad launch space probes equipped with fold drives. Just my $0.02.

What bugs me about the post-Flashback story of Hikaru, Minmay and Misa is the claim that they went into a black hole located in the center of the Milky Way. Seriously now, anyone who knows anything about astronomy knows that the region near the center of any galaxy is an unsurvivable inferno where all sorts of celestial bodies collide with extreme frequency and extreme force. Sending a colonization fleet there would be a waste of precious resources, if we were to speak from a logistical perspective. If we were to speak from a humanitarian perspective, it would be like sending the crews and the colonists to certain death. As for what black holes do, read a few articles on them and you'll see how plausible for a government or a military or a space agency like the UN Spacy such a decision would be. If they wanted to explore these areas, they could have had the Megaroad launch space probes equipped with fold drives. Just my $0.02.

To be fair, that story oriignated in the manual for the Saturn/PS1 DYRL game. I'd consider Frontier's colony fleet tracking to be higher canon in this case.

Thanks for pointing this out. I googled it and found something about the last transmission from the Megaroad fleet being something about Major Hayase talking about a black hole from which music was coming and that they were going in...? This is absolutely implausible.This is Misa Hayase (who is generally considered a responsible officer, although I've seen some of her actions that were questionable -at best) we're talking about, not Gameel Al-Batouti.

That's an English internet-perpetuated fallacy.

The only thing that's indicated about their fate in the official setting is that communications from Megaroad-1 cease in 2016 when it's near the centre of the galaxy.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/2016

Later English-speaking fan speculation is that the black hole located at the centre of the galaxy sucked them up. But consider this: that black hole wasn't discovered until after the cessation of communications was published.

Edited by sketchley

The existence of a black hole in the center of our galaxy was pretty much confirmed afterwards. But we knew from other galaxies that their centers have a black hole. So, don't you think it would make sense to assume that approaching that part of a galaxy would be a no-no?

The existence of a black hole in the center of our galaxy was pretty much confirmed afterwards. But we knew from other galaxies that their centers have a black hole. So, don't you think it would make sense to assume that approaching that part of a galaxy would be a no-no?

?

Just saying what the official setting says. If it doesn't fit with later astronomical discoveries, it doesn't fit. Nevertheless, that's what the official setting says.

The best way to look at it is: they were written out of Macross by the proverbial walk into the sunset. In this case, it's a loss of communications.

Official? I think I'll stick with what Keith says, since he knows quite a bit more than me (or most people here) on what's canon and what's not.

But aren't Sketchley and Keith essentially agreeing here?

To be fair, that story oriignated in the manual for the Saturn/PS1 DYRL game. I'd consider Frontier's colony fleet tracking to be higher canon in this case.

That's an English internet-perpetuated fallacy.

The only thing that's indicated about their fate in the official setting is that communications from Megaroad-1 cease in 2016 when it's near the centre of the galaxy.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/2016

Both of them are saying that the story about the Megaroad-01 disappearing into the black hole at the center of the galaxy is a HIGHLY unreliable tale.

(Although I gotta laugh at the idea of "canon" in Macross, for the most part...)

Translation of the PS1 game "SDFM:DYRL" mail-away exclusive gift: "Minmei's Last Message":

http://www.macrossro...ic=2872.new#new

Is it part of the official setting?

Is it only a comment written up on the fly by a real-world company executive for a game based on a movie which the official setting relegates as a movie within a movie in order to do some market research?

That's up to the beholder to decide.

It does, on the other hand, provided a starting point for contemplating the eternal question: "What happened to (insert Megaroad-1 passenger/crew name)?"