HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

So wait, Braveheart didn't single highhandedly win the Revolutionary War wielding a tomahawk?

Didn't you see Pocahantas or Last of the Mohichans?? The Native Americans were great fighters with a deep spiritual connection to their land, but it took a few white guys to show them how to fight the other, evil white guys.

And I could totally see the Twilight guy playing Rick Hunter, but I doubt they'd be able to afford him at this point. That, and he'll be 43 years old by the time we see it.

I may hate everything about that, but that is still a great shot.

In a world where Kaneda and Tetsudo could be played by caucasians,

yet Donald Glover can't be Spider-Man,

and Michael Cera can't be Shaft,

I think it's safe to say Kim Kardashian, as of this year especially, has enough real life experiences and assets to really pull off a good Linn Minmei.

(But not Lynn Minmay, huge difference)

Edited by Einherjar

Community made an anime parody joke, and online commentators are once again claiming it looks like Robotech, Voltron, (and even Bubblegum Crisis) How long before people start dropping the "X anime parody in X show looks like Robotech" and maybe start referencing modern crap like One Piece?

Have people not watched any anime beyond the 80's and very early 90's? Or is Robotech the only "socially acceptable" thing to reference when talking about anime?

Edited by chrisk

In a world where Kaneda and Tetsudo could be played by caucasians,

yet Donald Glover can't be Spider-Man,

and Michael Cera can't be Shaft,

I think it's safe to say Kim Kardashian, as of this year especially, has enough real life experiences and assets to really pull off a good Linn Minmei.

(But not Lynn Minmay, huge difference)

Well, we'll soon find out how good Kim's acting skills are as she's supposed to be starring in a film. Maybe that's why HG and WB have been holding back the LAM; they're waiting to see if Kim's good enough to play Minmei.

Community made an anime parody joke, and online commentators are once again claiming it looks like Robotech, Voltron, (and even Bubblegum Crisis) How long before people start dropping the "X anime parody in X show looks like Robotech" and maybe start referencing modern crap like One Piece?

Have people not watched any anime beyond the 80's and very early 90's? Or is Robotech the only "socially acceptable" thing to reference when talking about anime?

That's been one of the issues here as of fairly late. How many Robotech fans actually watch and enjoy anime? From what has been discussed, and by examples just like what you're saying, they aren't anime fans at all, but more so fans of nostalgia itself. I'm sure one of the morons will say "yeah, I'm just not an otaku like those Macross purists are," but of course, they'd probably be considered skirting the issue. I don't know anyone here who is overly obsessed with the subject, but most Robotech fans that I'm kinda familiar with, have no freakin' clue about any anime today, save for Gundam, and maybe one or two popular shows on Adult Swim. Is that wrong, no, not at all, but when those same people try to judge a show like Macross Frontier, they usually come off as idiots who have no clue what they're talking about, and always fall back to comparing it to a 26+ year old show.

This is inherently a very silly rant, but I just thought of it while at work today. It's a shame that the very sense of the word 'Anime', in the annals of Western pop-culturedom, will forever referencing Robotech, and 80's nostalgia bait.There's more to "anime" than a redubbed mecha show based on arguably superior source material. <_<

Edited by chrisk

This is inherently a very silly rant, but I just thought of it while at work today. It's a shame that the very sense of the word 'Anime', in the annals of Western pop-culturedom, will forever referencing Robotech, and 80's nostalgia bait.There's more to "anime" than a redubbed mecha show based on arguably superior source material. <_<

I wouldn't say that's the case for all anime fans here in the U.S. I wouldn't even say that for a decent sized group. It's a very, very tiny size of them, mostly relegated to Robotech fans.

I wouldn't say that's the case for all anime fans here in the U.S. I wouldn't even say that for a decent sized group. It's a very, very tiny size of them, mostly relegated to Robotech fans.

And said people actually think there's still a story in the ongoing Robotech saga to be told that doesn't involve salvaging completed anime that people haven't seen outside Japan.

I even wrote a summary of how they could adapt to the Macross Frontier for Robotech universe.

The Frontier colonization fleet would be independent of REF, which left Earth following the philosophy of Kyle Linn, ie, not depend on the UN Spacy for nothing.

Explaining the new symbol, other than it was before.

The Vajra were a variation of Invid that evolved it from direct contact with Protoculture.

Alto would link with the Linn family, a bastard son of RickMinmai, which would explain his ability as a pilot and great skill in the arts.

Ranka was half-Invid, daughter of Lance (Yellow) with Sera (Sorji) (totally plausible, since the ova they end Love Live Alive"together").

Already Sheryl, would not change much.

Edited by Old_Nash

I even wrote a summary of how they could adapt to the Macross Frontier for Robotech universe.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT...?

Have you, for example, written a summary for how Star Wars can be incorporated into Battlestar Galactica? Or how Star Trek could become an appendage of Genesis II...?

Have you, for example, written a summary for how Star Wars can be incorporated into Battlestar Galactica? Or how Star Trek could become an appendage of Genesis II...?

More overblown rationales for things that obviously don't make sense is good; it puts into question the credibility of the entire franchise if they really want to keep going down this route.

More overblown rationales for things that obviously don't make sense is good; it puts into question the credibility of the entire franchise if they really want to keep going down this route.

Let's take MORE mecha shows from the '80s and CHANGE THEM so they fit ROBOTECH!!

We can do Orguss...and Votoms...and Vifam...Hell, even Galvion can find a place!

What did he envisioned (thankfully I was wrong), that HG could catch the Frontier and transforms it into a side of Shadows Chronicles.

Since both were almost done, I said almost, at the same time (R:TSC, 2006; MF: DE, 2007).

In addition to that we could see it from another angle, and have a new technology.

Outside a context that has not been explored.

Of course, the SMS could become a kind of "Elite Guard" of the regular army in this version.

But I let it go, after I saw AstroPlan (HG but this could use at will).

What did he envisioned (thankfully I was wrong), that HG could catch the Frontier and transforms it into a side of Shadows Chronicles.

Since both were almost done, I said almost, at the same time (R:TSC, 2006; MF: DE, 2007).

Um...okay. The difference being that Macross Frontier is actually GOOD.

I never understood why so many Robotech fans do that. There's one thing that I've realized many of them do 1)Write fanfics...I really don't have a problem with this, and some are good, but there are soooo many fanfic writers, it's a telling sign that HG isn't doing the job of telling much of any story. Maybe it's just my own observation, but there are probably more Robotech fanfic writers to regular fans, than any other franchise, except maybe Star Trek.

2) Many fans have this insatiable desire to incorporate the existing Macross shows into Robotech. It's one of the worst ideas ever, and I don't know why it keeps getting asked at every convention. It's a telling sign there, that Macross is THAT GOOD, and that fans don't want the HG staff's stories.

Um...okay. The difference being that Macross Frontier is actually GOOD.

No doubt.

I never understood why so many Robotech fans do that. There's one thing that I've realized many of them do 1)Write fanfics...I really don't have a problem with this, and some are good, but there are soooo many fanfic writers, it's a telling sign that HG isn't doing the job of telling much of any story. Maybe it's just my own observation, but there are probably more Robotech fanfic writers to regular fans, than any other franchise, except maybe Star Trek.

2) Many fans have this insatiable desire to incorporate the existing Macross shows into Robotech. It's one of the worst ideas ever, and I don't know why it keeps getting asked at every convention. It's a telling sign there, that Macross is THAT GOOD, and that fans don't want the HG staff's stories.

Not quite out there. I just did it would take to learn to adapt, not that it is doing something serious.

It was only an exercise of imagination. Something that anyone could do.

I could use another anime, Eureka Seven, and say it wascolonized in a world where "veritechs" could only fly oversurfboards.

In my view, could even adapt to the Macross 7 for Robotech universe.

Not quite out there. I just did it would take to learn to adapt, not that it is doing something serious.

I could use another anime, Eureka Seven, and say it wascolonized in a world where "veritechs" could only fly oversurfboards.

Wasn't directing that as you, just brought to mind an observation I had made. Since that question keeps getting dredged up, your quick adaptation made me think of it. I also agree, it can be done to just about anything. I could probably come up with a way to make Orguss the 4th part of Robotech in a minute, or Code Geass, any Gundam, etc. Would I do that though, no. Robotech, has already done enough franchise hijacking.

Wasn't directing that as you, just brought to mind an observation I had made. Since that question keeps getting dredged up, your quick adaptation made me think of it. I also agree, it can be done to just about anything. I could probably come up with a way to make Orguss the 4th part of Robotech in a minute, or Code Geass, any Gundam, etc. Would I do that though, no. Robotech, has already done enough franchise hijacking.

Sorry :p

Ah, okay...yeah, I did the same thing myself, as a thought exercise. 'Cept I was figuring out how to do Gundam as a series of Hollywood movies. Couldn't figure out how to do it in less than four films, and the problem was what to do with the kids, since kids grow up so fast...

Robotech 7 huh? And since HG would likely be too cheap to pay fees for the Fire Bomber songs, we'd get some horrible new sound that would surpass Fire Bomber American in musical vomit. Actually, they wouldn't even bother would they? RT characters singing Japanese rock would kinda ruin the whole Robotech schtick, right?

Edited by VF-15 Banshee

Ah, okay...yeah, I did the same thing myself, as a thought exercise. 'Cept I was figuring out how to do Gundam as a series of Hollywood movies. Couldn't figure out how to do it in less than four films, and the problem was what to do with the kids, since kids grow up so fast...

Why not do like that game ps1?

Use only "tiozãos" to interpret the characters XD

Robotech 7 huh? And since HG would likely be too cheap to pay fees for the Fire Bomber songs, we'd get some horrible new sound that would surpass Fire Bomber American in musical vomit. Actually, they wouldn't even bother would they? RT characters singing Japanese rock would kinda ruin the whole Robotech schtick, right?

Been there, done that.

Yeah when I was in grade school all the guys who were "in-the-know" knew anime was stuff like DBZ, Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star, etc.

Damn hipsters. Time to raise the rent on dem kids.

Let's take MORE mecha shows from the '80s and CHANGE THEM so they fit ROBOTECH!!

We can do Orguss...and Votoms...and Vifam...Hell, even Galvion can find a place!

Too slow. http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=35118&view=findpost&p=926145

Because they want what we got? When they see "Macross", they go "WOW". Nostalgia kicks in. Then their brains turn to mush as the flood of nostalgia pushes out any sign of rational thought. You know, instead of coming up with their own ideas, why not use someone else's work and just fill in the blanks with your brand of putty. :rolleyes:

How about just learning to write instead of adapt. <_< Ripoff several franchises at once, throw them into the blender, mix on high, then pour out and consume what comes out instead of relying on just one.