Legos, anyone?

danth

Well I did it. I bought the big damn Lego Lion Knight's Castle and got the blacktron cruiser as a free gift...

I have mixed feelings on the purchase as $400 is a huge chunk of money. Lego castle stuff is a sore spot for me as my room mate and his girlfriend stole all the castle sets I had when he refused to pay rent and I was forced to sell the house we all had lived in.

Five years later, a move out west to be closer to family, a newer better job that pays well, a new year, and some convincing from my brother and his wife to finally do something for myself...

Well here I am.

2 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Well I did it. I bought the big damn Lego Lion Knight's Castle and got the blacktron cruiser as a free gift...

I have mixed feelings on the purchase as $400 is a huge chunk of money. Lego castle stuff is a sore spot for me as my room mate and his girlfriend stole all the castle sets I had when he refused to pay rent and I was forced to sell the house we all had lived in.

Five years later, a move out west to be closer to family, a newer better job that pays well, a new year, and some convincing from my brother and his wife to finally do something for myself...

Well here I am.

Sorry to hear the negatives there, especially when related to LEGO, which should be positive. Alas, the other side of your story sounds full of positives, and I'm glad for you. Moreover, as a big LEGO fan, although I'm not getting the Lion Knight's Castle myself (I'd have nowhere to put that lovely beast), I think it's absolutely brilliant and I'm envious. I hope it proves to be yet another huge positive in your life, both figuratively and practically. Enjoy it and the new Blacktron set. Hopefully the first of many more. 

12 hours ago, Scyla said:

Yesterday I built the first Lego set of the year, the new Tie Bomber.

I'm excited to finally get a new item in my collection of mostly Minifig scaled OT Star Wars vessels. I just need a Tie Interceptor, some Endor Speederbikes, an Imperial Shuttle and a SSD to reach completion. 

Overall I’m contempt with the set. However, it looks a tad on the small size next to the Han Solo Tie Fighter I have. I also wished for a more evolved bomb dropping feature. I don’t understand why there is no rotating bomb drop mechanism like on the Y-Wing that didn‘t result in an ugly opening on the top.

There is a rumored two pack of a Tie Interceptor and Mandalorian Fighter so maybe I will get another piece closer to completion this year (two if the Endor diorama is not too expensive).

I worry that this new Tie Interceptor will look too awkward next to my Tie Fighter since it will probably not have the same fuselage as the one I have.

Concerning the Imperial Shuttle, while there's currently a set out, I would try to find a copy of 75094 which was larger, more detailed, and featured Han, Leia, Chewy, and a couple Rebel dudes in Endor gear. It was simply a better set, IMHO, the best version they've ever made thus far, at least in System scale. FWIW, the Imperial Shuttle is one of my top 5 favorite SW vehicles, so my suggestion carries the weight of extreme bias. 

Good luck completing your collection!

I'm still waiting to see them attempt a less messed-up UCS Imperial Shuttle.  There is just so much more they could do with that design if they used some of the ideas seen all across the internet in rebuilds and updates of that set.  The base size is pretty good, but it badly needs new engines, a new nose, and a better wing mechanism.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm still waiting to see them attempt a less messed-up UCS Imperial Shuttle.  There is just so much more they could do with that design if they used some of the ideas seen all across the internet in rebuilds and updates of that set.  The base size is pretty good, but it badly needs new engines, a new nose, and a better wing mechanism.

Agree. I was excited for a UCS Imperial Shuttle, until I saw it and watched some reviews. I hated the nose on it, as it was completely inaccurate, and the wing mechanism seemed poorly realized in light of what fans had done in their own MOCs. I wasn't crazy about the snap-on landing gear solution either. If they attempt it again, I hope they fix all these issues, give it a proper interior, and sculpt that nose section to look like the film model.

More like this What he new UCS Imperial Shuttle box could look like! Credit to Marshal Banana for the awesome ...Ansel Hsiao

@M'Kyuun thanks for your input regarding the shuttle.

What I really want is a new UCS version. Like you I can’t stand the nosecone shape of the old one. I had the MPC/ERTL model kit as a child and lots of fond memories attached to it. So I have a certain image in my head how the shuttle is supposed to look.

I like the UCS SSD but it is expensive on the aftermarket. I don’t think Lego will redo it so at some point I have to make a decision about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy all! I hope the new year is treating everyone well. 2023 became infinitely better when LEGO unveiled the new 40580 Blactron Cruiser GWP set, and being an old LEGO space nerd since the 70s, it was an opportunity I couldn't, nay wouldn't, resist! So, three rather expensive orders later, I now have three of these lovelies in my possession. but is it worth dropping $190 just to get it in your cart? For me, absolutely yes. Let's take a look at it. Apologies beforehand for the photo quality- someday I'll get a better camera.

The box art does a lovely job of mimicking the original Blacktron Invader's box deco down to the robot with a hammer in the foreground.

image.jpeg.a566d5f00f79b7f33a2a85139023987c.jpeg

The box art for LEGO set 6894, the Blacktron Invader. This sleek spaceship separated into three ...

So here it is, the updated Blacktron Invader, now called Cruiser for reasons that have yet to be made clear.

100_6077.JPG.8f56c0c4e16598bd9712b66c56d1de8a.JPGimage.jpeg.7a5d0c410a1469cd367dd9d8f4ab59c4.jpegimage.jpeg.319bcee0b71f0614ced2c4e4c3294f11.jpegimage.jpeg.5a97ca8e6ba32b8f6a65d0e122883a18.jpegimage.jpeg.789698f738d5b27516690dd3e929b2bb.jpeg

image.jpeg.4df9644396f7a293a41f4bea6a658baf.jpeg

As with the original Blacktron sets, and the Invader in particular, the new Blacktron Cruiser can also separate into modules. The Cruiser is in the foreground and the original Invader behind it. Not only does the Cruiser break apart in similar fashion to its predecessor, but the engine section further breaks down with an additional two modules.

image.jpeg.61e9dfc9f092a3af10901dd6774a2264.jpeg

Unlike the original set which used Technic pins to lock the various sections together, the Cruiser uses a combination of a new 1x2 round brick with posts in the center, a piece that is sure to find extraordinary utility going forward, and horizontal clip pieces. I like how the yellow striping is consistent between modules as well, even in the areas that can't be seen when they're assembled.

image.jpeg.61b0ef409fc48c8665e3917a0f12b4a9.jpeg

Like the original, the central module is a container, each of which carries a brick-built robot, a hammer, and the old classic wrench. The Cruiser, however, further carries a cargo box with drop-down door with two black ingots within.

Originalimage.jpeg.1a2f47a69fadf278985497004cff0d79.jpeg

image.jpeg.e1fc6e2ab8e3ab937e72867527b83a32.jpeg

2023image.jpeg.4b64296b4426cf64028c6714efa93f52.jpegimage.jpeg.12eebf39baf175a44158562c172d2745.jpeg

Boximage.jpeg.94cfe6edca161246a08ea70e37448d18.jpegimage.jpeg.e3d9e1a4b475fe39ae12f9724cc2f5f4.jpeg

Robots. New on left.  Since the old control console piece that comprised the body of the original robot was retired years ago, designers used a clip and this small pistol element 44709.png originally created for the Overwatch sets to make the body of the new version while maintaining the stooped posture.

image.jpeg.183473fa9348f72ba20d6561a3ccfc0f.jpeg

Cockpit. Although the cockpit sections are similar in overall length, the canopy used on the original was much shorter. As a result, the pilot is situated closer to the nose than on the update, which uses the new canopy developed for Buzz Lightyear's XL-15. (Thanks Angus!). The original featured a hollow area behind the pilot's seat which inexplicably was never utilized, as one of those cargo boxes would have fit (I tested it! 😉) On the update, due to its shape, there's more storage area ahead of the pilot, and the designers utilized it by giving us a metal detector. A sticker replaces the printed control console slope used in the original and a trans-yellow tile affixed within a couple clips provides a nice HUD.

Every print on the new set is provided by a sticker; there are eight in total. I'm not the biggest fan of stickers, but given its GWP status, and the fact that it's yet another Classic Space update within several months' time, it's a concession I will gladly accept. I hope they keep putting these out every several months henceforth. They're a long time coming, and for us old Classic Space junkies, a breath of fresh air over the monotony, or should I say monopoly, of Star Wars as the only sci-fi space LEGO available on the shelves.

image.jpeg.5dd28d3762b988eafde259afd3c60ade.jpeg

image.jpeg.24d77b949227f2698096223fe3472a77.jpegimage.jpeg.ddd7bf308f28cfe2ef3136a6ed65d3c5.jpeg

Additionally, the 2023 set gives us one of the old large camera/ space gun accessories and a smaller brick-built gun/sensor/ whatever you want it to be. 

image.jpeg.572126e82decbee2dfb63eb67b3e2d56.jpeg

These are stored on the top flap of the three-way opening cargo box.

image.jpeg.128ffebe8975ae083568d612897c6923.jpegimage.jpeg.1149e0856db3a9b4a950920bc41518ae.jpeg

The Pilot. The new fig is on the left. The white paint is a little brighter and his eyes only a smidge larger and very slightly closer together than the original's on the right, but otherwise, they are nearly identical. 

image.jpeg.d1e2e1b00ba1f8f838dd0b4f8600a5e6.jpeg

Until you turn them around and remove their tanks. This is the first time a Blacktron figure has sported back printing, which will likely make the value of this fig soar on the secondary market. Another great touch by the designers in upgrading and updating the original set.

image.jpeg.b02b5255d77bb40025b385cb3a2c1799.jpeg

And with that, I'll wrap things up. Coming back to the question I asked at the beginning, is it worth paying $190 just to get this set? For me, absolutely, and I paid it three times over just to get three copies. I'm flirting with the idea of getting a fourth. Anyway, Blacktron was one of my favorite themes- the black and yellow color scheme hinted at something darker, more nefarious, something LEGO generally didn't do in those days. There was no conflict, only exploration. When Space Police was released and we saw Blacktron figs as prisoners, it was the start of something new- confirmed bad guys in space. Too, the modularity aspect of Blacktron was cool, especially if you were lucky enough to have a few of the bigger sets to mix and match the various modules. I had the Battrax, the Renegade, and the Message Intercept Base, and I loved them. Too, Robocop came out the same year; it was a movie I adored (still do!) and I used to love closing the visors on my Blacktron figs so only the mouth was visible like a certain cyborg cop. Good memories. So yes, nostalgia has me in its tight unwavering grasp, and virtually anything that will appease it has exceptional value to me beyond just dollars. That said, if you're not into Space or sci-fi, then this set is likely not for you and not worth the price of admission, as it were. I'll add, however, that I wish this had been a wide retail release to share shelf space with the 10497 Galaxy Explorer. The cool designs and juxtaposed color schemes would have popped, and at a likely $35-45 price point, would have been much easier to swallow if one was simply curious and bought a copy. The $190 threshold is a bit steep and will likely prevent a lot of fans from acquiring it, which is sad. We've waited so long for CS to make any kind of comeback, and when it does, many simply won't be able to afford it. I'm grateful that I was able to get not just a copy, but several. They'll find a good home among my other classic Blactron and other assorted SC era ships and vehicles. 

So, obviously I had to buy a fair bit of LEGO to get my Blacktron sets, and I'll share a little of that here too.

First, the Monkie Kid Combi Mech.image.jpeg.fe77e21896a51d3910ba29a2ab1d4c0d.jpegimage.jpeg.7e1aa08efce915673a040c915c579c93.jpegimage.jpeg.ef2dcac29b0bfbea1f5e40a19c912905.jpeg

So this set just released on Jan 1, and I thought it looked pretty neat. There's an additional feature, hence the 'combi' part of the name, that I can't show since I didn't buy the other set that combines with it. The year's not over yet, though. 😉 Anyway, the articulation that this thing possesses, relative to the oft limited elbow articulation and lack of knees endemic to most of LEGO's mecha models, is superb.  As you can see it can even kneel, and due to how the ball and socket joints were arranged, the arm articulation is fantastic. The hips and shoulders are Technic ball/socket joints, the elbows are made up of the small ball/socket joints (Mixel joints), the knees are ratcheted hinge joints, and the ankles are also Mixel joints. the shoulder pauldrons are also moveable, attached by clip joints. After handling this model for a bit and putting it through all sorts of poses, I can't help but think that this should be the template for all their medium sized mecha. Alas, it's not.

Endgame Hulkbuster

So, this also released on Jan 1st, and it is the most accurate Hulkbuster model at this scale. I love how the designers put those upper torso bits on an angle to really bulk up the shoulders- it just has a presence that past models lacked, although being a Hulkbuster fan, I have all of them (except the new UCS- not crazy about the proportions or the price tag). Articulation-wise, the shoulders are on ratcheted joints, the elbows are made up of the old hinge plates, the wrists can rotate on Technic pins, and the fingers can all rotate independently. The shoulder pauldrons/armor can swivel out to make clearance at the shoulder The range of arm articulation is very good. As usual with these System-scaled HB models, the head does not rotate; it can swivel up to reveal Dr. Bruce Banner at the controls (or lack thereof in this case). The hips are also on ratcheting joints, the knees are fixed, although clip joints are used at the back of the knee and removing the robot arms which make up the mechanical detail at the front of the knee will provide a bit of knee bend. The ankles are large Technic ball/socket joints and the toes are attached via clips. The toes have enough requisite strength to hold the weight of the model and compensate for the minimal range of motion possible at the ankle, as you can see in the photos. Despite its few articulation shortcomings, I love this model- it just looks amazing. Since it's LEGO, the articulation is something I may consider modding at some point.  But for now, I'm just enjoying it as-is.

image.jpeg.a5414eeec21a856c2f4d312f5635b64f.jpegimage.jpeg.4ca9517afb39b421e661bf8ec9c6dc72.jpeg

From the very first instant I saw a pic of the Crabsuit, I was enamored. Seeing it in action in the actual film only increased my love of this cool mecha, which looks and moves like its namesake. LEGO created a set featuring both the Crabsuit and the Tulkan, a whale-like creature that features prominently in the film.

Much like their Avatar sets based on the first film, LEGO included little bases that appear as seafloor bits covered in an array of colorful and unique flora and fauna. It's a very cool way to create a bit of Pandora while also including a stand in disguise, if you will, for the various machines and creatures from the films. Here's the Crabsuit in its sub form- the legs and arms are folded to make it more compact and aquadynamic. The pilot is a generic unnamed human character. 

image.jpeg.ae33c5d82dc65a499cf2c89c9e429e16.jpegimage.jpeg.89bd7ee1f8e1a28b61b03dbd1042a805.jpegimage.jpeg.976f460d3a30e90068f5ebeb382ae2c0.jpeg

image.jpeg.b45a5d7b69732baf134763b05252ea0e.jpegimage.jpeg.d4617bc4e2b407bf3b366917bf80a721.jpegImage result for Avatar Crabsuit

image.jpeg.e985a836449fb9855b205fcd84354f17.jpegimage.jpeg.90489e424d29c8da3e64b1dd4edf4cd2.jpeg

I like this model quite a bit. It's LEGO, so of course it's going to have some limitations and inaccuracies, especially at this scale. but, it's a fun little model, easily swooshable, and relatively poseable in its crab form.

The Tulkun

This model is partly comprised of three large specialty molded elements forming the head and each side jowl. Personally, I wish they would have fully brick-built the entire creature as they do with Creator sets, but I can understand why they went this route. The latter 2/3 of the Tulkun is completely brick-built, and the designers mounted the last third of the tail on a set of large Technic hinges (AT-AT legs) enabling the tail to move up and down through about three detents' range of motion, IIRC. The flukes at the tip of the tail can also be articulated on a ratcheting plate hinge, as can the large pectoral fins. The smaller fins forward and lower than the pectorals are on Technic friction pins allowing for up and down and rotational articulation.

image.jpeg.2e4613b17b951fe10935c57367cf398b.jpeg

The mouth can open by rotating the large jowl bits, attached to the head via friction pins, and the lower jaw can articulate via ratcheting hinges. Like the Crabsuit, it comes with a sea-bottom stand and IMHO, makes for a nice-looking display. 

image.jpeg.d3a5e85b11928a9821591956d73666a6.jpeg

Of course, as most of us are aware, scale is always a concession when it comes to models depicting large to very large things, and the Tulkun is no exception. While it is a sizeable model, after seeing the film it's probably about a third the size of the creature as depicted in the film. The Crabsuit is pretty well scaled, and it barely fits atop the Tulkun model. In the film, numerous Crabsuits could walk about on a Tulkun's back. Alas, it is what it is.

image.jpeg.a312e36e888d1417216dbc2efef1b215.jpeg

I enjoyed building this set; I was mostly intrigued by the Crabsuit model, which you build first if you follow the numbered bags, but once I moved on to the Tulkun, I found it to be a nice relaxing build. There weren't really any surprises or advanced techniques, per se, but it was an enjoyable experience resulting in a pretty impressive creature with a fair bit of articulation. 

Well, that's it for now. It's a bit longwinded, but I hope at least some of it was interesting, useful, and perhaps even enjoyable. As always, play well. Cheers!

3 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Howdy all! I hope the new year is treating everyone well. 2023 became infinitely better when LEGO unveiled the new 40580 Blactron Cruiser GWP set, and being an old LEGO space nerd since the 70s, it was an opportunity I couldn't, nay wouldn't, resist! So, three rather expensive orders later, I now have three of these lovelies in my possession. but is it worth dropping $190 just to get it in your cart? For me, absolutely yes. Let's take a look at it. Apologies beforehand for the photo quality- someday I'll get a better camera.

The box art does a lovely job of mimicking the original Blacktron Invader's box deco down to the robot with a hammer in the foreground.

image.jpeg.a566d5f00f79b7f33a2a85139023987c.jpeg

The box art for LEGO set 6894, the Blacktron Invader. This sleek spaceship separated into three ...

So here it is, the updated Blacktron Invader, now called Cruiser for reasons that have yet to be made clear.

100_6077.JPG.8f56c0c4e16598bd9712b66c56d1de8a.JPGimage.jpeg.7a5d0c410a1469cd367dd9d8f4ab59c4.jpegimage.jpeg.319bcee0b71f0614ced2c4e4c3294f11.jpegimage.jpeg.5a97ca8e6ba32b8f6a65d0e122883a18.jpegimage.jpeg.789698f738d5b27516690dd3e929b2bb.jpeg

image.jpeg.4df9644396f7a293a41f4bea6a658baf.jpeg

As with the original Blacktron sets, and the Invader in particular, the new Blacktron Cruiser can also separate into modules. The Cruiser is in the foreground and the original Invader behind it. Not only does the Cruiser break apart in similar fashion to its predecessor, but the engine section further breaks down with an additional two modules.

image.jpeg.61e9dfc9f092a3af10901dd6774a2264.jpeg

Unlike the original set which used Technic pins to lock the various sections together, the Cruiser uses a combination of a new 1x2 round brick with posts in the center, a piece that is sure to find extraordinary utility going forward, and horizontal clip pieces. I like how the yellow striping is consistent between modules as well, even in the areas that can't be seen when they're assembled.

image.jpeg.61b0ef409fc48c8665e3917a0f12b4a9.jpeg

Like the original, the central module is a container, each of which carries a brick-built robot, a hammer, and the old classic wrench. The Cruiser, however, further carries a cargo box with drop-down door with two black ingots within.

Originalimage.jpeg.1a2f47a69fadf278985497004cff0d79.jpeg

image.jpeg.e1fc6e2ab8e3ab937e72867527b83a32.jpeg

2023image.jpeg.4b64296b4426cf64028c6714efa93f52.jpegimage.jpeg.12eebf39baf175a44158562c172d2745.jpeg

Boximage.jpeg.94cfe6edca161246a08ea70e37448d18.jpegimage.jpeg.e3d9e1a4b475fe39ae12f9724cc2f5f4.jpeg

Robots. New on left.  Since the old control console piece that comprised the body of the original robot was retired years ago, designers used a clip and this small pistol element 44709.png originally created for the Overwatch sets to make the body of the new version while maintaining the stooped posture.

image.jpeg.183473fa9348f72ba20d6561a3ccfc0f.jpeg

Cockpit. Although the cockpit sections are similar in overall length, the canopy used on the original was much shorter. As a result, the pilot is situated closer to the nose than on the update, which uses the new canopy developed for Buzz Lightyear's XL-15. (Thanks Angus!). The original featured a hollow area behind the pilot's seat which inexplicably was never utilized, as one of those cargo boxes would have fit (I tested it! 😉) On the update, due to its shape, there's more storage area ahead of the pilot, and the designers utilized it by giving us a metal detector. A sticker replaces the printed control console slope used in the original and a trans-yellow tile affixed within a couple clips provides a nice HUD.

Every print on the new set is provided by a sticker; there are eight in total. I'm not the biggest fan of stickers, but given its GWP status, and the fact that it's yet another Classic Space update within several months' time, it's a concession I will gladly accept. I hope they keep putting these out every several months henceforth. They're a long time coming, and for us old Classic Space junkies, a breath of fresh air over the monotony, or should I say monopoly, of Star Wars as the only sci-fi space LEGO available on the shelves.

image.jpeg.5dd28d3762b988eafde259afd3c60ade.jpeg

image.jpeg.24d77b949227f2698096223fe3472a77.jpegimage.jpeg.ddd7bf308f28cfe2ef3136a6ed65d3c5.jpeg

Additionally, the 2023 set gives us one of the old large camera/ space gun accessories and a smaller brick-built gun/sensor/ whatever you want it to be. 

image.jpeg.572126e82decbee2dfb63eb67b3e2d56.jpeg

These are stored on the top flap of the three-way opening cargo box.

image.jpeg.128ffebe8975ae083568d612897c6923.jpegimage.jpeg.1149e0856db3a9b4a950920bc41518ae.jpeg

The Pilot. The new fig is on the left. The white paint is a little brighter and his eyes only a smidge larger and very slightly closer together than the original's on the right, but otherwise, they are nearly identical. 

image.jpeg.d1e2e1b00ba1f8f838dd0b4f8600a5e6.jpeg

Until you turn them around and remove their tanks. This is the first time a Blacktron figure has sported back printing, which will likely make the value of this fig soar on the secondary market. Another great touch by the designers in upgrading and updating the original set.

image.jpeg.b02b5255d77bb40025b385cb3a2c1799.jpeg

And with that, I'll wrap things up. Coming back to the question I asked at the beginning, is it worth paying $190 just to get this set? For me, absolutely, and I paid it three times over just to get three copies. I'm flirting with the idea of getting a fourth. Anyway, Blacktron was one of my favorite themes- the black and yellow color scheme hinted at something darker, more nefarious, something LEGO generally didn't do in those days. There was no conflict, only exploration. When Space Police was released and we saw Blacktron figs as prisoners, it was the start of something new- confirmed bad guys in space. Too, the modularity aspect of Blacktron was cool, especially if you were lucky enough to have a few of the bigger sets to mix and match the various modules. I had the Battrax, the Renegade, and the Message Intercept Base, and I loved them. Too, Robocop came out the same year; it was a movie I adored (still do!) and I used to love closing the visors on my Blacktron figs so only the mouth was visible like a certain cyborg cop. Good memories. So yes, nostalgia has me in its tight unwavering grasp, and virtually anything that will appease it has exceptional value to me beyond just dollars. That said, if you're not into Space or sci-fi, then this set is likely not for you and not worth the price of admission, as it were. I'll add, however, that I wish this had been a wide retail release to share shelf space with the 10497 Galaxy Explorer. The cool designs and juxtaposed color schemes would have popped, and at a likely $35-45 price point, would have been much easier to swallow if one was simply curious and bought a copy. The $190 threshold is a bit steep and will likely prevent a lot of fans from acquiring it, which is sad. We've waited so long for CS to make any kind of comeback, and when it does, many simply won't be able to afford it. I'm grateful that I was able to get not just a copy, but several. They'll find a good home among my other classic Blactron and other assorted SC era ships and vehicles. 

So, obviously I had to buy a fair bit of LEGO to get my Blacktron sets, and I'll share a little of that here too.

First, the Monkie Kid Combi Mech.image.jpeg.fe77e21896a51d3910ba29a2ab1d4c0d.jpegimage.jpeg.7e1aa08efce915673a040c915c579c93.jpegimage.jpeg.ef2dcac29b0bfbea1f5e40a19c912905.jpeg

So this set just released on Jan 1, and I thought it looked pretty neat. There's an additional feature, hence the 'combi' part of the name, that I can't show since I didn't buy the other set that combines with it. The year's not over yet, though. 😉 Anyway, the articulation that this thing possesses, relative to the oft limited elbow articulation and lack of knees endemic to most of LEGO's mecha models, is superb.  As you can see it can even kneel, and due to how the ball and socket joints were arranged, the arm articulation is fantastic. The hips and shoulders are Technic ball/socket joints, the elbows are made up of the small ball/socket joints (Mixel joints), the knees are ratcheted hinge joints, and the ankles are also Mixel joints. the shoulder pauldrons are also moveable, attached by clip joints. After handling this model for a bit and putting it through all sorts of poses, I can't help but think that this should be the template for all their medium sized mecha. Alas, it's not.

Endgame Hulkbuster

So, this also released on Jan 1st, and it is the most accurate Hulkbuster model at this scale. I love how the designers put those upper torso bits on an angle to really bulk up the shoulders- it just has a presence that past models lacked, although being a Hulkbuster fan, I have all of them (except the new UCS- not crazy about the proportions or the price tag). Articulation-wise, the shoulders are on ratcheted joints, the elbows are made up of the old hinge plates, the wrists can rotate on Technic pins, and the fingers can all rotate independently. The shoulder pauldrons/armor can swivel out to make clearance at the shoulder The range of arm articulation is very good. As usual with these System-scaled HB models, the head does not rotate; it can swivel up to reveal Dr. Bruce Banner at the controls (or lack thereof in this case). The hips are also on ratcheting joints, the knees are fixed, although clip joints are used at the back of the knee and removing the robot arms which make up the mechanical detail at the front of the knee will provide a bit of knee bend. The ankles are large Technic ball/socket joints and the toes are attached via clips. The toes have enough requisite strength to hold the weight of the model and compensate for the minimal range of motion possible at the ankle, as you can see in the photos. Despite its few articulation shortcomings, I love this model- it just looks amazing. Since it's LEGO, the articulation is something I may consider modding at some point.  But for now, I'm just enjoying it as-is.

image.jpeg.a5414eeec21a856c2f4d312f5635b64f.jpegimage.jpeg.4ca9517afb39b421e661bf8ec9c6dc72.jpeg

From the very first instant I saw a pic of the Crabsuit, I was enamored. Seeing it in action in the actual film only increased my love of this cool mecha, which looks and moves like its namesake. LEGO created a set featuring both the Crabsuit and the Tulkan, a whale-like creature that features prominently in the film.

Much like their Avatar sets based on the first film, LEGO included little bases that appear as seafloor bits covered in an array of colorful and unique flora and fauna. It's a very cool way to create a bit of Pandora while also including a stand in disguise, if you will, for the various machines and creatures from the films. Here's the Crabsuit in its sub form- the legs and arms are folded to make it more compact and aquadynamic. The pilot is a generic unnamed human character. 

image.jpeg.ae33c5d82dc65a499cf2c89c9e429e16.jpegimage.jpeg.89bd7ee1f8e1a28b61b03dbd1042a805.jpegimage.jpeg.976f460d3a30e90068f5ebeb382ae2c0.jpeg

image.jpeg.b45a5d7b69732baf134763b05252ea0e.jpegimage.jpeg.d4617bc4e2b407bf3b366917bf80a721.jpegImage result for Avatar Crabsuit

image.jpeg.e985a836449fb9855b205fcd84354f17.jpegimage.jpeg.90489e424d29c8da3e64b1dd4edf4cd2.jpeg

I like this model quite a bit. It's LEGO, so of course it's going to have some limitations and inaccuracies, especially at this scale. but, it's a fun little model, easily swooshable, and relatively poseable in its crab form.

The Tulkun

This model is partly comprised of three large specialty molded elements forming the head and each side jowl. Personally, I wish they would have fully brick-built the entire creature as they do with Creator sets, but I can understand why they went this route. The latter 2/3 of the Tulkun is completely brick-built, and the designers mounted the last third of the tail on a set of large Technic hinges (AT-AT legs) enabling the tail to move up and down through about three detents' range of motion, IIRC. The flukes at the tip of the tail can also be articulated on a ratcheting plate hinge, as can the large pectoral fins. The smaller fins forward and lower than the pectorals are on Technic friction pins allowing for up and down and rotational articulation.

image.jpeg.2e4613b17b951fe10935c57367cf398b.jpeg

The mouth can open by rotating the large jowl bits, attached to the head via friction pins, and the lower jaw can articulate via ratcheting hinges. Like the Crabsuit, it comes with a sea-bottom stand and IMHO, makes for a nice-looking display. 

image.jpeg.d3a5e85b11928a9821591956d73666a6.jpeg

Of course, as most of us are aware, scale is always a concession when it comes to models depicting large to very large things, and the Tulkun is no exception. While it is a sizeable model, after seeing the film it's probably about a third the size of the creature as depicted in the film. The Crabsuit is pretty well scaled, and it barely fits atop the Tulkun model. In the film, numerous Crabsuits could walk about on a Tulkun's back. Alas, it is what it is.

image.jpeg.a312e36e888d1417216dbc2efef1b215.jpeg

I enjoyed building this set; I was mostly intrigued by the Crabsuit model, which you build first if you follow the numbered bags, but once I moved on to the Tulkun, I found it to be a nice relaxing build. There weren't really any surprises or advanced techniques, per se, but it was an enjoyable experience resulting in a pretty impressive creature with a fair bit of articulation. 

Well, that's it for now. It's a bit longwinded, but I hope at least some of it was interesting, useful, and perhaps even enjoyable. As always, play well. Cheers!

I’m happy that you are enamored with the Blacktron set. I decided against it.

I have a lot of nostalgia for Blacktron since the era of visor helmets starting with Futuron was my classic space world. Plus the Invader was the inly Blacktron set I had as a kid.

But a combination of the high entry price, the stickers and the updated design I felt I don’t need that (not for $190 that is) especially since I have the original.

I feel like the new Cruiser design is somewhere in the middle between not faithful enough to the original and not modernized enough to be it’s own thing.

Thanks for the review, I did get mine, but I wasn't going to go out of my way to get it.  It just happened to be convenient, since I had VIP points to burn toward finally picking up the DeLorean (which unfortunately arrived in a completely trashed box.. the Blacktron ship was in perfect shape though at least).

I like the design as an update overall, but I think not including the transparent red fins did it a disservice.  I might track down some of the original parts on the secondary market instead, or just leave them black, since the chunky look of adding transparent tiles on top of the fin doesn't really feel like a decent substitute.

Stickers.. meh.  I'll never use them, because they just wear off over time, and I'm surprised the sticker they did include is out of proportion with the original.  If I can get an original printed nose for less than a kidney, I might grab one, but I might even just mask it off and spray the marking.

Not a bad update to the design at least, and lot of good features packed in.

6 hours ago, Scyla said:

I’m happy that you are enamored with the Blacktron set. I decided against it.

I have a lot of nostalgia for Blacktron since the era of visor helmets starting with Futuron was my classic space world. Plus the Invader was the inly Blacktron set I had as a kid.

But a combination of the high entry price, the stickers and the updated design I felt I don’t need that (not for $190 that is) especially since I have the original.

I feel like the new Cruiser design is somewhere in the middle between not faithful enough to the original and not modernized enough to be it’s own thing.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Thanks for the review, I did get mine, but I wasn't going to go out of my way to get it.  It just happened to be convenient, since I had VIP points to burn toward finally picking up the DeLorean (which unfortunately arrived in a completely trashed box.. the Blacktron ship was in perfect shape though at least).

I like the design as an update overall, but I think not including the transparent red fins did it a disservice.  I might track down some of the original parts on the secondary market instead, or just leave them black, since the chunky look of adding transparent tiles on top of the fin doesn't really feel like a decent substitute.

Stickers.. meh.  I'll never use them, because they just wear off over time, and I'm surprised the sticker they did include is out of proportion with the original.  If I can get an original printed nose for less than a kidney, I might grab one, but I might even just mask it off and spray the marking.

Not a bad update to the design at least, and lot of good features packed in.

I find it interesting how two fans of the original theme can have such different views, both valid.  I can see where the changes to the design could be off-putting if you were expecting a more faithful homage, especially if you have strong attachment to the original. This set is certainly an homage more than a redo, and liberties were taken, some good, some not so good. I dislike stickers- they're a PITA to apply and try to get lined up perfectly, especially when there are symmetrical stickers, which is often the case. Putting the logos on the canted cargo doors was a pain. And speaking of which, those constitute a poor design choice. With all the new parts- brackets and slopes aplenty, they could have approximated the original's boxy covering and put it on the old hinge brick, also like the original. The bar w/ clip elements, due to the softer material of which they're made, don't have the same grip as ABS clips, and so those large flag elements used for the side doors tend to very easily disengage from the clips. Not the best. I neglected to mention that in my review. Too, speaking of the stronger grip of ABS clips, the little engine assembly is tough to remove from the larger module (w/ the trans-red lined arrays). I struggle with it, so I can't imagine an 8–12-year-old having a much easier time of it. Brick separator to the rescue. Those are really my only negatives. I personally love the reimagined design, the generous number of included accessories, the replicated robot, the back printing on the minifig, and though I don't like stickers, I appreciate how they replicate or homage the old prints. Moreover, they can be handy on MOCs as well.  Mostly, I'm just happy to see yet another Classic Space design reimagined for a modern audience after 13 years of no original Space themes, and 44 years since the original Galaxy Explorer and 36 years since the Blacktron Invader debuted. There are many more old sets I'd love to see reimagined in like fashion, but I'm really hoping it opens the door to another new original Space theme. For this fan, there's room for both Star Wars and new sci-fi Space stuff in my heart, if not on my shelves.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:41 PM, M'Kyuun said:

Sorry to hear the negatives there, especially when related to LEGO, which should be positive. Alas, the other side of your story sounds full of positives, and I'm glad for you. Moreover, as a big LEGO fan, although I'm not getting the Lion Knight's Castle myself (I'd have nowhere to put that lovely beast), I think it's absolutely brilliant and I'm envious. I hope it proves to be yet another huge positive in your life, both figuratively and practically. Enjoy it and the new Blacktron set. Hopefully the first of many more. 

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not going to lie, the last few years have been rough, but things really feel like like they turned a corner.

Anyways the castle came in the mail yesterday with the Blacktron cruiser and I'm going to start work on it over the weekend. The box is massive. Like 38 inch old school tv big! I can't wait to crack it open!

In the meantime I just happened to be in Barnes & Noble today and picked up the Medieval Blacksmith Ideas set as well. Lol! I think I have a problem.🤣

IMG_20230111_134334.jpg

9 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not going to lie, the last few years have been rough, but things really feel like like they turned a corner.

Anyways the castle came in the mail yesterday with the Blacktron cruiser and I'm going to start work on it over the weekend. The box is massive. Like 38 inch old school tv big! I can't wait to crack it open!

In the meantime I just happened to be in Barnes & Noble today and picked up the Medieval Blacksmith Ideas set as well. Lol! I think I have a problem.🤣

IMG_20230111_134334.jpg

Congrats, have fun building, and remember that there are far worse 'problems' to have than an affinity for LEGO. Enjoy!

9 hours ago, sh9000 said:

A39CFCD8-3EBA-47CE-865C-429EA84A98D9.jpeg.53e18244f8bddd297377c679ee4de2f7.jpeg

Ordered the Speed Champions Nissan Skyline.

D5FCCC00-FF17-4E73-BEE9-A4D2B1B28702.webp.c7584ba8d8fdc08ae7af9944d44e7010.webp

E714C1A4-8BB4-423F-A858-273C80762774.webp.bd8983c6f319c5e54cb187c962a26868.webp

I'll probably order the Ghost Rider Mech & Bike because it looks like fun.

I collect the majority of Speed Champions, but the Nissan Skyline holds no interest for me- I've never seen any of the F&F movies and doubt I ever will. If a car in there interests me, I'll get it, but it'll be based entirely on the model's appeal by itself. This just strikes me a s a bit mediocre compared to some of the more exotic cars they do. The 2023 lineup is already looking pretty good. They're already doing a car from a video game in this next wave, and I hope that opens them up to anime, as I'd love to see a Mach 5 from Speed Racer and an Asurada from Future GPX Cyber Formula in this line.

I don't plan on getting the Ghost Rider mech & bike set, but I agree on the playability- hope they do more like this with other characters.

I got an unexpected Christmas present in the form of the Luke Skywalker "Red Five" helmet, which I put together the other day. Compared to the Galaxy Explorer, which is an awesome display piece but also something of a marathon construct (the... PINS!) this was a rather more straightforward and faster build (just over three hours, compared to the nine hours or so it took for the Galaxy Explorer). It obviously has fewer pieces, but while it uses various modern tricks a lot of the construction reminded me of "classic" Lego, building up stacks of bricks to achieve a whole.  Very nice experience...

...except...

...after I'd completed it, I noticed that I'd somehow managed to put two bricks in the wrong way round. These bricks were part of the display "tower" the helmet sits on, and barely noticeable from anything but close-up, but it bothered me. So I had a go at correcting my mistake. 

Oops.

The problem I encountered is that the "tower" is built around a technic bar which is pinned in place at both ends. And to get to the pins, you had to remove quite a bit of brick work...

...so when I say "just over three hours", I mean more like "just over three hours, plus a couple hours swearing and about another hour putting things back together once I'd calmed down, walked away for a bit and come back and actually thought about things". 😄 On reflection, I could probably have got to the bricks without as much deconstruction as I wound up doing, but I was a bit tired and tried what appeared an obvious approach without enough contemplation first. 

"Thats impossible, even for the computer!"

"No, its not... " 😉

I somewhat spruced up the A-10.  The pilot it came with had a rather somber expression about him, so I found a figure who seems a lot more enthused about flying a Warthog:

20220805_153115.jpg.1fee7d1324c02d0d783be44d7a20566c.jpg

20220805_163009.jpg.7f2a9c5b77d5478bed12b0c9f2bcf3d2.jpg

I also added more ordnance pieces for different payloads:

20220805_152911.jpg.92f62ec49c159d55a5020c8bcb21d154.jpg

20220805_155719.jpg.5fba7fcc41aba1d1e2ca7c3a245532ab.jpg

I especially like the central drop tank:

20220805_154158.jpg.b4841bbdc49df6eba867d7e5151f03eb.jpg

20220805_154359.jpg.cf6c8a13071fa3b640e1c28bb5c8b898.jpg

I bought Brickdesigners' ammo loader as icing on the cake, but the belt uses a flimsy adhesive film to keep itself together.  I kinda regret getting it, but maybe I can make a better belt:

20220805_170139.jpg.838fcf219e003259e87f24d045691bf7.jpg

Feeding the Hog more Brrrrrrrrt juice:

20220805_165918.jpg.5899612f3c27f6beb957a471173d4567.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

Looking for a little advice again - I recently recovered a stash of old Lego from a relatives. I don't want to say much more just now in case what I have in mind for using some of it doesn't pan out, but some of it is a bit cruddy with accumulated dust etc. I know some vintage toy collectors wash old toy parts before reassembling them in soapy water, so my question is has anyone any experience of doing that with Lego? And if they have, what about printer Lego pieces? Would that be safe?

Also, on the same lines, there are several of the "classic" axles, the ones with the metal bar between the wheels. Some of these are a bit rusty. My immediate thought was WD-40 [1], but I don't want to cause a chemical reaction with the plastic. Again, any ideas? Thanks in advance!

[1] I'm British, so "other lubricating oil products are available".   😉

12 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Looking for a little advice again - I recently recovered a stash of old Lego from a relatives. I don't want to say much more just now in case what I have in mind for using some of it doesn't pan out, but some of it is a bit cruddy with accumulated dust etc. I know some vintage toy collectors wash old toy parts before reassembling them in soapy water, so my question is has anyone any experience of doing that with Lego? And if they have, what about printer Lego pieces? Would that be safe?

Also, on the same lines, there are several of the "classic" axles, the ones with the metal bar between the wheels. Some of these are a bit rusty. My immediate thought was WD-40 [1], but I don't want to cause a chemical reaction with the plastic. Again, any ideas? Thanks in advance!

[1] I'm British, so "other lubricating oil products are available".   😉

Addressing your first question concerning washing LEGO, I use warm water with a little dish soap and let the parts soak for a few hours, sometimes overnight. If the dirt remains after the soak, I use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean the parts. It's tedious and laborious, but effective, and safe. Soapy water will not affect prints, and most stickers, if well-adhered, will generally remain so even after a long soak and even light brushing.

As to corroded steel axles, I've not encountered this issue. Light sanding with fine grit sandpaper or perhaps an emery board may prove effective at removing the surface rust, and a light application of mineral oil may serve to mitigate any further corrosion.

1 hour ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Thanks for the advice! Having had the chance to go through some of it today not all of it is as bad as I thought. I'll have to maybe separate the worst pieces and give them the ol' scrubbing treatment.

Every success!

36 minutes ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Thanks! Just hope I don't wind up clogging my drains with Lego trees... 😃

Oh no! I put my parts in a plastic bowl to soak, and then I pour them, gently, into a colander (with small holes- don't want any escapees going down the drain!) and rinse them. Then I lay out a towel and spread the parts out to dry and cover them with another towel to prevent dust and pet hair from adhering to the wet parts. I have a cat, and her hair is everywhere. I usually let them dry overnight- 12-24 hours. It's worked out well so far, although I think my wife sometimes gets a little frustrated with a bunch of LEGO occupying a goodly chunk of our kitchen counter. Such is the compromise of marriage. :)

was joking, but you’re not the first person to suggest the colander to me!

Someone I know apparently saw a TV programme where they put Lego in a pillowcase, tied the case and then put the pillowcase in a washing machine on a “hand wash” or “gentle” setting! Don’t think I’ll be trying that as this stuff is quite old and probably more fragile than it was…

6 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

was joking, but you’re not the first person to suggest the colander to me!

That's a relief. I once lost a 2x2 blue slope with the Classic Space computer print in my garbage disposal after washing the parts of a used CS set I'd bought. By the time I realized it'd fallen down in there, the part was damaged beyond salvation. I was rather quite unhappy with myself. One of the drawbacks of using the colander is that parts can sometimes find their way over the lip, as I found out the hard way.

6 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Someone I know apparently saw a TV programme where they put Lego in a pillowcase, tied the case and then put the pillowcase in a washing machine on a “hand wash” or “gentle” setting! Don’t think I’ll be trying that as this stuff is quite old and probably more fragile than it was…

I definitely wouldn't put LEGO in the washing machine or a dishwasher- too harsh and possibly too hot for the plastics to handle unscathed. I have a friend who puts his bulk dirty LEGO in a pillowcase and then soaks it in the bathtub, a much gentler solution. I never buy enough bulk to where I need to resort to that, but I would if need be.

4 hours ago, Scyla said:

Massive Lego leak for potentially upcoming sets (website is in German): https://www.promobricks.de/lego-leak-umfrage-2023/157463/

Most interesting to me is the UCS Sail Barge in roughly Minifig scale.

The leaks apparently come from a survey were they showed unannounced sets to the participant.

I'm a nut for the castle stuff, so I'm interested in the Medieval Village, Zelda set(what ever that actually is), and LOTR Sauron's Bara Dur fortress.

47 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

I'm a nut for the castle stuff, so I'm interested in the Medieval Village, Zelda set(what ever that actually is), and LOTR Sauron's Bara Dur fortress.

Here is a machine translation for the Zelda set:

Spoiler

Now let's come to a set, which should please many video game fans. Since it became known that LEGO has entered into a larger partnership with Nintendo, many want one or more sets for The Legend of Zelda. As the current LEGO leak shows us, such a set is already under development by the Danes.

It is the legendary Deku tree - and even as a 2in1 set! The tree can be built once in the design of the game Ocarina of Time with green leaves and once in the style of Breath of the Wild with predominantly pink foliage. The design of the tree itself also differs fundamentally, so that not only the leaves are replaced, but the tree has to be built from scratch, you should opt for the other version.

Both times, however, the tree stands on a black base comparable to the sets of the Diorama Collection, on the front is a tile with a Zelda print attached. As minifigures, Link are included in a green outfit and with medium-legged legs, based on his appearance from Ocarina of Time, as well as Link and Zelda with normal legs and blue outfits, as in Breath of the Wild. In the BotW version of the tree, Maronus can also be built from the parts.

Parts: 1920

Price range: 200 to 325 US dollars

Most likely price: 250 US dollars

23 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

That might work if I had a bath... 🙂 Again, being British garbage disposal isn't nearly as common here as it is on your side of the pond, but I'll keep an eye on the colander - maybe some cling film over the top will act as a preventive?

Meanwhile, this is happening:

https://surveys.square-enix-games.com/en/ffvii

😮

A big plastic container would do the trick in lieu of a tub, methinks. You're cling film idea has merit: I'd likely be the proprietor of more pieces had I adopted that approach in the past.

As to the leaks, the ones that grab me are the Ninjago City Market and the Medieval Village. The Batman: The Animated Series wall hang has me intrigued not so much for the thing itself, but for the potential Animated Series sets that it portends. I really want a Batmobile from that show. The X-Mansion also looks interesting. if they end up doing a new Blackbird, I hope it looks more like this MOC than the old blue and black official set.Pin on LEGOOL

I have the original Medieval Village, so a new one would make for a nice expansion. As to the Ninjago City Market, I think the Ninjago City series is one of the best LEGO has ever done. I have the City and the Garden (I passed on the Docks) and I will no doubt add this one to my growing cityscape.

If they start doing BTAS sets, I would really love to see the Batwing from that series.. or maybe a slightly stylized take on it.  

After seeing the official large scale production, I do appreciate the shape being more reminiscent of the original 1989 version, but I would love to see something like a cross between the BTAS version, and the Batman Forever proportions.

Very rough 5-minute 3D doodle, but this was my mental image of what the BTAS Batwing looked like for years, until I rewatched the series more recently.

420831692_ss(2023-02-02at10_09.05).png.2437c555d8f2df47bde30e9236c933f5.png

I'm thinking my memory just mashed up the multiple styles, since it's not far off from the animated version, but the front fork, tail, and cockpit are much closer to the Forever toy my younger brother had.

Edited by Chronocidal

Regards the potential FF:VII sets... they could have put FF:VIIs most famous scene in. You know the one... the one that made a million gamers scream out in shock... 

...Barret and Cloud on the Gold Saucer ride? 😁

I jest. You know the scene I mean. I'm guessing not family friendly enough sadly...

I have a small plastic colander I originally bought for like single servings of pasta, but it's pretty much dedicated to washing Lego now.  The holes are just small enough that no piece will get out (though I do worry about lightsaber blades aligning perfectly and managing to slip through) and being plastic means it won't scratch like my big metal one might.  

Colanders are THE way to wash Lego.