1/60 Queadluun Rau Custom

Kurisama

In answer to your questions Kelsain;

A) The DYRL missile pack has the DYRL missile placement and TV hubs and the TV missile pack has both TV missile placement and hubs.

B) No, but I plan to photograph and do a step by step of dissambly of the torso - but the arms, legs and backpack are all pretty straight-forward and don't require step-by-steps, no?

Decal sheets used are some from the 1/100 Glaug kit, a couple from the 1/144 Nousjadeul Ger kit and the rest were from the 1/144 Queadluun kit - about 1 and a half sheets (I have 3 kits).

And thanks! Glad you dig!

I made the ball joints in the fingers a little smaller than they should be to allow for paint and clear coats - but even with 4 or 5 coats of nail varnish, they're still a little too loose for my liking - keep this in mind, but if ppl want - I can make them bigger.

Finally you've reassembled it, it looks more appealing than the DYRL type in terms of everything! The paint which you'd chosen was perfectly matched the mecha itself! Bravo!! So what's your next project then, kurissama? Hehe...

For one thing, it looks fine without - I've added some soot and it looks good to me.

Secondly the proportions of the vents/backpack to the plugs doesn't quite match the 1/144.

And finally I'm not quite happy with the angle they jut out at, they point a little too far away from each other. One more thing is that if I wanted to fix the angle in Maya, I'd also bubble-ify the overall straight edged shape of it - would better blend in to the exhaust port.

But that's just pedantic OCD me :D

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone purchased any pieces for the Rau? I'm curious as the sales section in the Shapeways store is busted and there is no way to tell.

A bunch of those features on the Shapeways site aren't working, but the "yippie!" emails have been going out again the last 2 weeks. If you got any sales in the last 2 weeks, you should have received emails for them, regardless of the website not showing any sales.

I'm in the same boat. I just got my first "yippie!" email yesterday, so if I have any other sales, they would have to have been more than 2 weeks ago and I just don't know about them yet. Not holding my breath though...

Aaaah, cool - thank you! Thank you so much :D Glad you like them - any improvements you may suggest?

Its a real shame that they aren't recording sales - it's really in their court if they wanna sell some and not let me know - and I could never find out! But thats just grumpy old irritable me, probably not the case - innocent until proven guilty, right?!

I'm excited to see what other people do with their own customs!

Congrats! See, you did get at least 1 sale. The fact that it was more than 2 weeks ago and you didn't hear about it gives me hope!

They're supposed to send emails when the sales actually ship (in addition to the "yippie!" emails), so I was wondering if those weren't going out for the sales from 2+ weeks ago as well (as in sales from more than 2 weeks ago that maybe just shipped last week when the emails were supposedly working again). Hopefully on the 15th of next month, we'll be able to get the spreadsheets with any sales listed (and some funds in our PayPal accounts).

I would totally want a set, Kurisama, if I had a Q Rau and/or could afford it. Don't take lack of sales for lack of desire. Your stuff is awesome!

I'm trying to clean up a mesh before I order a few things. I shrink wrapped it, and am now trying to add thickness, but mesh lab crashes every time! Trying to figure out an alt (free) way.

But I have the vf-11 shield clip & rau head in my cart!

(null)

Edited by Kelsain

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kurisama, have you considered just 3d printing your models as masters and casting them? Trust me i use this process and it's much more cost effective and easier to keep track of your sales. Dont get me wrong, i used to love shapeways, but their quality and pricing has undergone tqoo many radical changes over the last few years for my taste. There are far better 3d printing companies out there, that make a part that needs no cleanup. All you have to do is throw it in some silicon rubber and make your resin copies. This allows you to use 3d printing to make high quality prototypes and then copy them using resins that are much stronger. Just my 2 cents but its working well for me. If you dont have the skills or knowledge, hit up some of the members on this forum, usually everyone is eager to help.

This is just my personal preference, but as far as replacement parts go, I do prefer plastic to resin, if only because I'm more experienced with it.

I really do need to start fiddling with making some stuff again, I've been wanting to make a properly sized VF-25G sniper pod, and rebuild the nose on my YF-19.

Kurisama,

Imagine if u & the guys in your modeling circle/club/organization, that is if u r in one, decided to collectively invest in something like this...

http://3dprinting.com/3dprinters/the-form-1-prosumer-a-revolutionary-desktop-3d-printer/

With your current stable of products, and whatever else your fellow comrades/contributors offered, u could realistically become your own smaller scale Shapeways type company.

Claude - dude, thank you for that link. HRRRRRNNNG.... Just wow, and that is very affordable... And impressive.

I'm going to hold out a year - bigger build size and greater accuracy are inevitable.

And unfortunately, I am not part of a group - I am flying solo :-( sob sob sob. Scratch that, I'm part of the MW forums, and the support, advice and help I get from members here truly makes me feel part of a group. Honestly you guys are awesome.