Jump to content

Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV


Urashiman

Recommended Posts

One thing I always thought was neat about the original gobots was that they are cyborgs. They originally had a humanoid form and they had to transfer their brains into robots to survive whatever happened on the home world. Also they felt pain thru the robot body. If one was to break a arm or cut it off it was the same as we would feel..altho metal is alot stronger than flesh😂

The brain thing always had me as a kid. Poor guys had so much trauma can u imagine?

 

One last thing that was kinda neat was around 40% of gobot were women. I never really thought about it till years later but damn they just came out the gate with tough women robots..crusher ..snoop..pathfinder...space c...vamp..small foot. and others

 

Pretty cool honestly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some interesting names of note were in the Go-Bots series. Rene Auberjonois, Peter Cullen and Phil Hartman. I never recalled that part about them initially being cyborgs, but then it has been about four decades...

@pengbuzz

giphy.webp

:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, nonner242 said:

What happened..piece broke..or missing? 

Both arms on it are fouled up from melting (glue) and in trying to sand the damaged parts, the tolerances no longer match. I tried shimming it with plastic, but that only made it worse. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, nonner242 said:

Damn..I wonder if one of the cheap kits or alpha would match close enough for parts?

Got a few picks of it. For parts or ideas to fix. Hopefully it can be saved somehow.

1/72 transformable Alpha/ Leigoss by Imai would. But this last model wiped us out... next month we need to re-register the car, then take care of the electric bill (heat dome in the Northeast right now means constant AC). The rest of the model is okay, the arms are cooked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll keep an eye out for ya 

Maybe get lucky and I'll have one stacked away..

Altho I'm a fan of 60 and up..lol

 

Was the the sliding shoulder joint?

 

I know exactly how you feel. This summer is killing me..kid off..heat 100 plus and my AC isn't keeping up. Wife bought 2 fans for our bedroom. And it's one of our big anniversary dates this week so I have to go all out right after paying for kids school for the upcoming year. I'm drinking tap water and living off pretzels for a few months ..

 

Well hope you might find a fix..or make it non transformable..I know these kits suck personally. Even not kit ones are not fun..they are loose sloppy messes and things just look bad.

But I'm anal for detail too and they just don't do it for me. I always thought they looked like they are made of soap bars..lol

Hope you stay cool..I'm sitting at 78 79 with the AC non stop since 5am..

Need to move into basement😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nonner242 said:

I'll keep an eye out for ya 

Maybe get lucky and I'll have one stacked away..

Altho I'm a fan of 60 and up..lol

Was the the sliding shoulder joint?

It was everything of the actual arm; the shoulder (chest section) with the metal joint (yeah, sliding shoulder metal type) is fine, but everything from the block with the flip up missile hatch to the forearm is rooked (thankfully, the fists are fine). As I said: I tried fixing the situation and only made it much worse to where the parts are gooey at this point.

 

3 hours ago, nonner242 said:

I know exactly how you feel. This summer is killing me..kid off..heat 100 plus and my AC isn't keeping up. Wife bought 2 fans for our bedroom. And it's one of our big anniversary dates this week so I have to go all out right after paying for kids school for the upcoming year. I'm drinking tap water and living off pretzels for a few months ..

OUCH!! Yeah, that's gotta kill the ol' wallet!!!

3 hours ago, nonner242 said:

Well hope you might find a fix..or make it non transformable..I know these kits suck personally. Even not kit ones are not fun..they are loose sloppy messes and things just look bad.

But I'm anal for detail too and they just don't do it for me. I always thought they looked like they are made of soap bars..lol

Hope you stay cool..I'm sitting at 78 79 with the AC non stop since 5am..

Need to move into basement😁

Yeah... this one really hurt. And the problem is even non-trans, the elbow is sloppy lose and won't hold a pose.

Doing my best to keep cool; my wife gets cold easily, and she often puts on the AC when just about to pass out.

(and she wonders why I hate summer? O.o )

Edited by pengbuzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Doing my best to keep cool; my wife gets cold easily, and she often puts on the AC when just about to pass out.

Just have her put on her winter clothing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My problem - I ran out of "LIKES" for everyone's cool builds! There's a LOT of cool stuff on the boards right now!

My apologies for the delay in posting about builds, real life has been busy lately.

@arbit Your Macross Plus kick is paying off! All three of your figures look great! You have become the master at 3D sculpting!😎

@SteveTheFish Your Macross lineup looks great! It's great to see some actual Macross kits get built in this thread😁

@nightmareB4macross Spoiler Alert - those look GREAT! It's cool to see a fully articulated set of wings! It will be the penultimate "Chunky Monkey".

@pengbuzz Your Street Hawk build looks AWESOME! People are gonna see that and have flashbacks big time! Can you post a photo with the bad arm pieces. I'm sorry you're having trouble with that kit. I might have spares from an old one.

It was cool how many Japanese model companies sold their excess kits to American companies in the 80's and many were rebranded as something else - like the GoBot models and Battletech game stuff. I had both too. I remember seeing them in Toys R Us and saying, "Hey, I know what those are REALLY from!" And bought them since that was the only way to get my hands on Mospeada kits. The Cykill kit DID blow superior!🤣 It was cool that they made it into a model kit though all the same.

@HWR MKII AWESOME finish and effects on your figures! From heavy metal tanks to delicate figure painting - great range of talent!

Here are some helps for EVERYONE I recently came across.

I recently lost the most important tool in my shop - my stereo system! The sub-woofer speaker foam surround dry-rotted. It sounded so good originally, I decided to get a new foam surround kit for it. I HIGHLY recommend you try it too if you lost yours or its dying. You can see my rubber cement job isn't the cleanest, but it still works as good as new! Well worth the $20 instead of a new speaker system and it's not too tough.

1(1).jpg.04df09d49dbf267cbbcba8ed60b72f82.jpg

One of our club members brought this in to the meeting this week. It's UV curing filler putty! No more waiting hours for putty to cure. It also has NO shrinkage when curing like most putties do. You can use a UV flashlight or the sun too. I'm gonna have to try some.

1(3).jpg.18f0f4dbaba1d5ef4d827b1472f2d985.jpg

And finally, while at Hobby Lobby, I came across this chain. It's SOOOO tiny, I've never see chain that small. Why would you care? Perfect tie-downs for your 1/72nd carrier model. Also other detailing like on mecha. This is more in scale than most tiny chains. $2.50 for a little over a foot isn't bad either.

1(2).jpg.6a9233b222dbdcf267ebd09b199fe90f.jpg

I'll post my builds in a bit! - MT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, MechTech said:

...

1(3).jpg.18f0f4dbaba1d5ef4d827b1472f2d985.jpg

...

I'll post my builds in a bit! - MT

That sounds great. I've started using clear UV curing resin for wing tip lights, so I'll have to check this out too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MechTech said:

And finally, while at Hobby Lobby, I came across this chain. It's SOOOO tiny, I've never see chain that small. Why would you care? Perfect tie-downs for your 1/72nd carrier model. Also other detailing like on mecha. This is more in scale than most tiny chains. $2.50 for a little over a foot isn't bad either.

Ha ha. I save all my daughters' tiny chains just like yours!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz Your Street Hawk build looks AWESOME! People are gonna see that and have flashbacks big time! Can you post a photo with the bad arm pieces. I'm sorry you're having trouble with that kit. I might have spares from an old one.

It was cool how many Japanese model companies sold their excess kits to American companies in the 80's and many were rebranded as something else - like the GoBot models and Battletech game stuff. I had both too. I remember seeing them in Toys R Us and saying, "Hey, I know what those are REALLY from!" And bought them since that was the only way to get my hands on Mospeada kits. The Cykill kit DID blow superior!🤣 It was cool that they made it into a model kit though all the same.

@MechTechMuch appreciated MT!!  Still working on Street Hawk (just need a good day to paint Jesse Mach's eyes in and stuff). As for the Gobots model: here is the "cleaner" of the two arms, but both are in pretty bad shape:

100_0638.JPG.495cdf0c3da9bb1d0b466fb64a45ed91.JPG

I know it doesn't look that bad on the camera, but IRL the camera isn't picking up the caked/ melty glue (model cement). It's bad when even plastic welder isn't working right! O.o

It's the parts for both arms MT: upper shoulder pieces and the lower pieces for the forearms (including ailerons and that stupid "block" wedge thingie. The instructions they included (as with Revell's "Robotech" models) are pure garbage. If I'm able to redo them with new parts, I'm going to be taking much more time and strongly testing EVERYTHING before committing in glue!!

As for that Cy-Kill kit: I wouldn't even assemble the figure fully if I got that (I KNOW things). I would buy a pre-made multiposeable figure, make a cloth outfit for it and attach the armor parts separately.

 

 

  

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz Your Street Hawk build looks AWESOME! People are gonna see that and have flashbacks big time! Can you post a photo with the bad arm pieces. I'm sorry you're having trouble with that kit. I might have spares from an old one.

It was cool how many Japanese model companies sold their excess kits to American companies in the 80's and many were rebranded as something else - like the GoBot models and Battletech game stuff. I had both too. I remember seeing them in Toys R Us and saying, "Hey, I know what those are REALLY from!" And bought them since that was the only way to get my hands on Mospeada kits. The Cykill kit DID blow superior!🤣 It was cool that they made it into a model kit though all the same.

Much appreciated MT!! Here is the "cleaner" of the two arms, but both are in pretty bad shape:

100_0638.JPG.495cdf0c3da9bb1d0b466fb64a45ed91.JPG

It doesn't look that bad on the camera, but IRL the camera isn't picking up the glue caked on (model cement. It's bad when even plastic welder isn't working right! O.o

It's the parts for both arms MT: upper shoulder pieces and the lower pieces for the forearms (including ailerons and that stupid "block" wedge thingie. The instructions they included (as with Revell's "Robotech" models) are pure garbage. If I'm able to redo them with new parts, I'm going to be taking much more time and strongly testing EVERYTHING before committing in glue!!

As for that Cy-Kill kit: I wouldn't even assemble the figure fully if I got that (I KNOW things). I would buy a pre-made multiposeable figure, make a cloth outfit for it and attach the armor parts separately.

 

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

@HWR MKII AWESOME finish and effects on your figures! From heavy metal tanks to delicate figure painting - great range of talent!

Here are some helps for EVERYONE I recently came across.

I recently lost the most important tool in my shop - my stereo system! The sub-woofer speaker foam surround dry-rotted. It sounded so good originally, I decided to get a new foam surround kit for it. I HIGHLY recommend you try it too if you lost yours or its dying. You can see my rubber cement job isn't the cleanest, but it still works as good as new! Well worth the $20 instead of a new speaker system and it's not too tough.

1(1).jpg.04df09d49dbf267cbbcba8ed60b72f82.jpg

 

Nice save on the speakers, man!! :D I'll keep this in mind!!

 

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

One of our club members brought this in to the meeting this week. It's UV curing filler putty! No more waiting hours for putty to cure. It also has NO shrinkage when curing like most putties do. You can use a UV flashlight or the sun too. I'm gonna have to try some.

1(3).jpg.18f0f4dbaba1d5ef4d827b1472f2d985.jpg

1 hour ago, Thom said:

That sounds great. I've started using clear UV curing resin for wing tip lights, so I'll have to check this out too!

@MechTech and @Thom : I'll have to check this out (especially the clear version!!). Makes me wonder if it could be "painted" onto a wooden mold that's had mold release applied to it and then cured into a canopy? O.o

As for the chains: got plenty of those from my wife's old jewelry. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. I'm showed the chains because I've NEVER seen them that tiny before.

@pengbuzz I'll see what I can find. I don't think I have those parts anymore, but will look.

One of my projects is the first attempt at V/STOL aircraft. I'm putting this one on hold because the cabin really isn't big enough for most missions like ferrying cargo to and from a small ship. You can see the mock-up and get the idea though. It is meant to be a tilt-wing design. No engines yet.

1-72VTOLOne(1).jpg.442b0f906bc762695ca84b6d296656c3.jpg

The cabin windows were milled out of a tube. The cabin is LARGE styrene tubing you used to be able to purchase - no more though😕

1-72VTOLOne(2).jpg.a2efa2c6417edcdd62006ba1b233c8fb.jpg

Side floats / fuel tanks with gear doors opened up.

1-72VTOLOne(3).jpg.72a0adbb7199914ee95243512d2de1c8.jpg

Completed floats and them glued to the sides.

1-72VTOLOne(4).jpg.c704e6c0fce164073e9e8c426e567c17.jpg1-72VTOLOne(5).jpg.b3940e9e8a30582e97fa071b79b8b1d1.jpg

And the nose roughly held together. The doors actually fit great into all the parts.

1-72VTOLOne(6).jpg.eb21dece6e6ea9de4c559abc9e2032e1.jpg

That's on hold now. You'll see why with the next photos. - MT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm short on time, so long story short, this is a second V/STOL tilt-wing design. It has a wide fuselage to contribute to lift like Brunelli's and it also comes with its own defensive armament. Best of all, it's designed to operate on the water like a seaplane. It's size allows it to carry a full-sized armored vehicle and more troops than a V-22 Osprey, while being slightly smaller.

I first milled a sheet to simulate the airframe's ribs. Evergreen makes these, but not the dimensions I needed.

1-72VTOLTwo(2).jpg.0e54f1f606b12ecf043456963baa175c.jpg

The sheets were glued together, cut to be the correct shape (and be the exact same dimensions), then milled down the center so they could be folded and glued down the middle. This is what makes the stealthy crease down the center. Then they were glued to a bulkhead and a nose was added.

1-72VTOLTwo(3).jpg.d7f79a765a32dc5fdcd0378e74ebe0ed.jpg

The bottom was added and the internal fuel cells / upper seating area.

1-72VTOLTwo(6).jpg.265933af364cfa662164d41eefd3770a.jpg

Then the nose area was glued up as well. I had to use a dropper since a brush didn't provide enough cement at once. Regular aircraft floor space can be taken up by cargo and the side "jump seats" get blocked. This design has "stadium seats" on the deck and above the cells. Twice the seating, or more for a full deck of cargo.

1-72VTOLTwo(8).jpg.3a87424e6dcc3ea1385a0bf6edefd21b.jpg

The flush closing canon hatch and optical sensor window.

1-72VTOLTwo(10).jpg.a3f97ce27611124ba59c5ac082193002.jpg

The turret extended... No canon yet.

1-72VTOLTwo(11).jpg.55cdd93865770d1d9485872c630ba3c8.jpg

The wings will scissor to fold up and I made the cockpit too high, so I milled it down.

1-72VTOLTwo(15).jpg.acc17153641764ccfd958aa47a56fea3.jpg

After streamlining the sides and fixing the cockpit, this is where I am now. The rod is the hinge of the turret. Thanks for checking in guys! - MT

1-72VTOLTwo(17).jpg.ece125e1722931801f8d184fd9357093.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MechTech said:

Thanks guys. I'm showed the chains because I've NEVER seen them that tiny before.

@pengbuzz I'll see what I can find. I don't think I have those parts anymore, but will look.

Much appreciated MT!!

3 hours ago, MechTech said:

One of my projects is the first attempt at V/STOL aircraft. I'm putting this one on hold because the cabin really isn't big enough for most missions like ferrying cargo to and from a small ship. You can see the mock-up and get the idea though. It is meant to be a tilt-wing design. No engines yet.

1-72VTOLOne(1).jpg.442b0f906bc762695ca84b6d296656c3.jpg

The cabin windows were milled out of a tube. The cabin is LARGE styrene tubing you used to be able to purchase - no more though😕

1-72VTOLOne(2).jpg.a2efa2c6417edcdd62006ba1b233c8fb.jpg

Side floats / fuel tanks with gear doors opened up.

1-72VTOLOne(3).jpg.72a0adbb7199914ee95243512d2de1c8.jpg

Completed floats and them glued to the sides.

1-72VTOLOne(4).jpg.c704e6c0fce164073e9e8c426e567c17.jpg1-72VTOLOne(5).jpg.b3940e9e8a30582e97fa071b79b8b1d1.jpg

And the nose roughly held together. The doors actually fit great into all the parts.

1-72VTOLOne(6).jpg.eb21dece6e6ea9de4c559abc9e2032e1.jpg

That's on hold now. You'll see why with the next photos. - MT

I really like that MT!!! Looking forward to your next progress report! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks outstanding @MechTech! I like both of them. The smaller looks like it could be a prototype/business/small commuter plane, and the second is giving me strong Dropship vibes. I'm sure that'll change once the wings go on, but it is looking great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reached a milestone and started closing up the fuselage, after loading up the 'pit, the gear bays and the intake trunking. And opening up the mounting holes for missle rails, strakes and inlets.

And looking at it closely, it still looks like an F-8...

tZkpw47.jpeg

PllXw1l.jpeg

vs59Aeq.jpeg

Started gluing with the tail.

Hl8yVDU.jpeg

I'll move around the seam with TET and that start cleaning that up.

Always remember to feed the right wolf.

Thom

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well while in the process of applying my stickers for the sdf1.. I got side tracked by this guy and a urge to fix it up.

I needed a break something simple.

I mean he isn't horrible right? These exo squad destroids?

It's a decent mold for the fig and size isn't too bad.

He just is plastic toy looking. 

And shiney...not any paint apps. Blahh

I think he can use a little help..just a quick fix.

 

And no I didn't put those stickers on..a 5 year old did!

IMG_20240628_171155816.jpg

IMG_20240628_171200121.jpg

IMG_20240628_171211789.jpg

IMG_20240628_171218806.jpg

IMG_20240628_171554213.jpg

IMG_20240628_171609827.jpg

IMG_20240628_171614550.jpg

Edited by nonner242
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well disassembled and de stickeres him..washed him and gave his body a matte paint. And did silver on the bottom of foot. Looks abit more premium now..lol.

Got some more paint for vent and stuff for another day..try and find some sticker since I don't want to try and paint them on..

He looks much better..and he isn't all screwed back together and still has some parts off..just test fitting and seeing if I need to touch up.

IMG_20240629_184334725_HDR.jpg

 

IMG_20240629_184526237_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240629_184337357_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240629_184449312_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240629_184323432_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240629_184315458_HDR.jpg

 

IMG_20240629_184334725_HDR.jpg

Edited by nonner242
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, nonner242 said:

Well disassembled and de stickeres him..washed him and gave his body a matte paint. And did silver on the bottom of foot. Looks abit more premium now..lol.

Got some more paint for vent and stuff for another day..try and find some sticker since I don't want to try and paint them on..

He looks much better..and he isn't all screwed back together and still has some parts off..just test fitting and seeing if I need to touch up.

IMG_20240629_184334725_HDR.jpg

 

IMG_20240629_184526237_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240629_184337357_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240629_184449312_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240629_184323432_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240629_184315458_HDR.jpg

 

IMG_20240629_184334725_HDR.jpg

Looks pretty good! Reminds me of the one I did some time back (Defender Destroid):

Before:

1089286391_100_09641.JPG.52a7631dc7b1d869b4923b890b3eb195.JPG.8521b033bf79aa38f18b4e0bd19698f9.JPG

After:

279972278_100_09811.JPG.750fffa56e9dd7f22208fc17be9a4802.JPG.5531ade6e94f1bc6e2a71dda90343dec.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Looks pretty good! Reminds me of the one I did some time back (Defender Destroid):

Before:

 

LOL nice looks better to me..

Never noticed they have same lower waist and legs before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wewyllenium said:

Wewe here and I'm Back. I just finished model, prototyping, fitting and stress testing my hinge assembly for DX renewals and alike :D

449217151_10225596085829063_7513639006959338548_n.jpg

 

Nice work! Saving lives😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nonner242 said:

LOL nice looks better to me..

Never noticed they have same lower waist and legs before.

Yeah; they're all mostly based on the same armature so that they can quickly build them with a minimum of differentiated parts. Also allows for them to salvage parts from wrecked ones too,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, nonner242 said:

LOL nice looks better to me..

Never noticed they have same lower waist and legs before.

The three main destroids had the same lower body with very slight options here and there, but essentially the exact same. Even in the show, they’d sometimes be swapped out entirely and used as fixed emplacements 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need a body swap😁

Done for now..maybe airbrush if I ever feel like it.lol

Kept the old nasty stickers and tried to use as many as I could. Hard to save most. It's something. Added some green to him for his squad..I'm happy.

Really just needs weathering.

IMG_20240630_181333399_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240630_181433072.jpg

IMG_20240630_181407794.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, nonner242 said:

I need a body swap😁

Done for now..maybe airbrush if I ever feel like it.lol

Kept the old nasty stickers and tried to use as many as I could. Hard to save most. It's something. Added some green to him for his squad..I'm happy.

Really just needs weathering.

IMG_20240630_181333399_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240630_181433072.jpg

IMG_20240630_181407794.jpg

You can always get the label sheet, print it on paper, clearcoat the paper and glue them on after cutting them out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

You can always get the label sheet, print it on paper, clearcoat the paper and glue them on after cutting them out.

Can get sticker paper or waterslide too. Will save a ton of time. But I don't want to go thru the hassle and Photoshop..resizing and vectoring all that crap..which I would prob do.  But I liked the challenge lol. I didn't want to spend much time or money.  Just a side quest lol. 

I have so many other projects to do I'll never get to em if I spend too much on little things. 

I'll never get the SDF1 done if weather keep being crap for painting since I can't inside due to wifes having respiratory issues.

IMG_20240630_202800440_HDR.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...