Pixar's Totoro

chrisk

totorothumb.jpg

I almost had a heart attack. This better be an April Fool's Joke... :wacko:

In a partnership that does nothing if not melt my brain, director, John Lasseter (Toy Story, A Bug’s Life, Toy Story 2) will write and direct the big screen adaptation of Totoro for Pixar Animation Studios. It will be another collaboration between Pixar and Disney since Toy Story 3 featured a Totoro plush in the films ending. The film is set for Christmas of 2011 and will be produced by animation Golden Boy, Brad Bird (The Incredibles).

http://japancinema.net/2011/04/01/exclusive-first-look-pixar-studios-totoro-coming-2011/

I almost had a heart attack. This better be an April Fool's Joke... :wacko:

I hope so, too.

THAT'S NOT TOTORO. Looks like an angry mutant marmot.

This line from the quote is also baffling:

big screen adaptation

Totoro IS a BIG screen MOVIE.

Gah!

<facepalm>

I'm pretty sure that's an April Fool's joke. Pixar has been working on Cars 2 and is currently working on another feature. I don't think they'd have the capability to animate another full-scale movie in-between breaths like that.

This cannot, cannot be true. Lasseter has too much respect for Miyazaki.

EDIT: Just saw the date, and this little nugget:

This is obviously a huge dagger into the hearts of fans hoping Cars 2 would be the next big film from Pixar.

That made me laugh. No one wants Cars2 except for the marketers. Cars licenced products have been the biggest money spinners - surprisingly - for Pixar to date.

Edited by PetarB

33ll3j6.pngkd5qqf.gif

People hate the idea of Cars 2 that much, huh?

Well, this article isn't an April Fool's Joke, but it's Lasseter addressing all the idiots who bought into his movies.

Pixar is bulletproof, apefaces. We can put out any old piece of poo that perfectly examines universal themes of love and friendship and just walk away with record box-office numbers. In fact, I think I'll have my award-winning design team get cracking on an anthropomorphic piece of poo right now. Yes. poo. I'm talking actual human feces here, folks. We'll give it eyes and limbs, and—I don't know—call it Danny Caca. Brad Bird can make a story about how it got lost on its way to the sewage treatment facility. Its best friends are a used sewage-logged tampon and a hypodermic needle. Then we'll just sit back and watch the receipts come in.

Read it and feel good about yourself:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ive-got-you-dumb-motherfarters-eating-right-out-of,19014/

People hate the idea of Cars 2 that much, huh?

Well, this article isn't an April Fool's Joke, but it's Lasseter addressing all the idiots who bought into his movies.

Read it and feel good about yourself:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ive-got-you-dumb-motherfarters-eating-right-out-of,19014/

Actually... it's from The Onion, where every day is April Fool's anyway. :p

I can't tell if you're being serious or facetious. NO seriously, I can't tell.

Er, I'm confused too. Was there really an MIB3? I'm being sincere here!

Actually... it's from The Onion, where every day is April Fool's anyway. :p

Er, I'm confused too. Was there really an MIB3? I'm being sincere here!

Yeah

MIB 1 was directed by Depalma, MIB 2 was John Woo and MIB3 was JJ Abrams.

Lol. Another friend recently showed me an article in the Onion with great concern and I had to ask him "Have you never heard of The Onion?"

Lol. Another friend recently showed me an article in the Onion with great concern and I had to ask him "Have you never heard of The Onion?"

The only answer I can give is that the internet is too gorram big. :lol:

But it's not due out until next year, yes?

MIB4(Ghost Protocol) is due out this Xmas. So Totoro and MIB4 will be 2 Brad Bird films competing against each other. :lol:

I know it's a joke, but Brad Bird directing Totoro would mean he's got to be working on it for at least the last 3 years and this year. MIB4 should have been done shooting last fall and already in post. Plus I'm not sure Pixar has released anything in the winter since Incredibles, leaving the holidays for the Disney CG animated movies instead. Pixar is confident enough to hold up against the summer blockbuster juggernauts.

seriously, what's MIB4?

oooh, Mission Impossible... B??? What does the B stand for?

I thought you guys were talking about Men in Black.. :unsure:

Before we go too off-topic, the real Men in Black 3 is so amazingly awful its not even worth mentioning on this forum. I wouldn't mind Brad Bird churning out MIB4!!!

Yeah

MIB 1 was directed by Depalma, MIB 2 was John Woo and MIB3 was JJ Abrams.

The MIB I'm thinking of was Barry Sonnenfeld as director of 1 and 2. He must be talking about some other movie franchise.

edit: yeah, I looked it up. He's talking about Mission: Impossible movies. The directors line up for those as Exo described it.

Edited by frothymug

seriously, what's MIB4?

oooh, Mission Impossible... B??? What does the B stand for?

I thought you guys were talking about Men in Black.. :unsure:

Ok, no more abbreviations here, because I'm incredibly confused. How is there a B in mission impossible? When was there a 3rd Men in Black? Did I fall into some kind off weird parallel universe with extra bad sequals & silent B's?

MIB3 (or MIB III): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1409024/

Now, EXO did have me going with the directors... especially after reading the synopsis for the movie (fits with a JJ Abarams plot).

But...

going back and rereading the first few posts is great. Especially when the context of everyone's posts are understood (I thought it was about MIB, too). I'll second the best thread ever.

Edited by sketchley