SLI, from what I've read, can be pretty hit-or-miss.

That's what I've read about multiple GPU's also. In fact, I've read on several sites that claim video stuttering is "inherent" to multiple GPU setups. I mean, what the hell? I guess I could try singling out this new GPU. Are there established ways of testing one short of just putting it through its paces?

Went to my local Verizon store a fiddled with he thunderbolt some. Feels like it has some weight to it. Didn't really test the speed of it but it was nice.

Pricing for 4g/lte data plan is the same as 3g... for now. rep didn't know anything about changes in pricing.

Should I upgrade my home network from G to N?

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Should I upgrade my home network from G to N?

If you're connecting several devices, especially if you're streaming data from one device to another on the same network, or if you feel that you're not getting the range you'd like, then sure. If you're mostly using it to get on the internet with one or two devices and everything's working good for you, then not really. The key thing here is that G is rated for 54Mbps. Your internet connection is probably much slower... I have Comcast cable, and I'm lucky to hit 15Mbps. Only reason I upgraded is because I've got six computers (not counting my assortment of other wi-fi-enabled gizmos, like my iPad), and my old router was B (only 11Mbps).

If you're connecting several devices, especially if you're streaming data from one device to another on the same network, or if you feel that you're not getting the range you'd like, then sure. If you're mostly using it to get on the internet with one or two devices and everything's working good for you, then not really. The key thing here is that G is rated for 54Mbps. Your internet connection is probably much slower... I have Comcast cable, and I'm lucky to hit 15Mbps. Only reason I upgraded is because I've got six computers (not counting my assortment of other wi-fi-enabled gizmos, like my iPad), and my old router was B (only 11Mbps).

Running one 360 and at least 2 computer wireless.

Currently using an old b router as a hub/switch and a g with speed boost.

Running one 360 and at least 2 computer wireless.

Currently using an old b router as a hub/switch and a g with speed boost.

That's fine. As mikeszekely said, unless you need the range or have a broadband service that really is faster than your wireless' maximum speed (which will likely be no), there's no real use for upgrading to a N-based wireless setup.

I have a somewhat related problem. We have a range/reception problem in our house and it seems like upgrading from G to N would help. The problem is I'm not really sure how to do that. :unsure:

We have AT&T u-verse with the gateway they gave us when they installed everything. Is it possible to just connect a wireless N access point to it and use that? I'm not sure if having two wireless receivers would cause a problem.

That's fine. As mikeszekely said, unless you need the range or have a broadband service that really is faster than your wireless' maximum speed (which will likely be no), there's no real use for upgrading to a N-based wireless setup.

I am looking in to media streaming was using tversity but had issues with it.

I have a somewhat related problem. We have a range/reception problem in our house and it seems like upgrading from G to N would help. The problem is I'm not really sure how to do that. :unsure:

We have AT&T u-verse with the gateway they gave us when they installed everything. Is it possible to just connect a wireless N access point to it and use that? I'm not sure if having two wireless receivers would cause a problem.

My buddy had u verse they said there was compatibility issues with the gateway and the routers.

Having two wireless points shouldn't cause problems you'll just have multiple networks (make sure you name them properly). I was using two g routers and the modem provide by twc.

That's not entirely true. N based systems can, but not always, eliminate interference problems you may or may not have in your home. Cordless phones, older bluetooth, and microwaves to name a few. All can cause really bad interference on G based systems.

The range is a good thing to factor in too. Odds are you'll end up with a better signal in certain environments with N than you would with G because of the overall range it can push. There's a better chance of it penetrating walls and such.

Ugh, and to think that I signed up again... at least I'm only paying $15 for the time being.

AT&T to Impose DSL, U-Verse Usage Caps

Anyway, my dad wants to get a smartphone, he wants it so he can do stock trading while he works. We're on Verizon, and I'm just looking at upgrading his line only (To farting hell with $30 data plans per phone and additional charges for tethering!)

So, the Droid X is currently the most appealing. Pretty big screen, don't really need a keyboard, plus it's free with contract. Will look into rooting the phone and other customizations down the line too.

Though, any other phone worth mentioning by the way?

I still don't feel right bending over for the data plan...

Ugh, and to think that I signed up again... at least I'm only paying $15 for the time being.

AT&T to Impose DSL, U-Verse Usage Caps

Biggest reason for this is to cut out NetFlix, Hulu, and other streamers who are eating into their U-verse TV subscriptions. Squeezing more money out of their users seems like a bonus. And if they want more U-verse subscribers, they need to do a little more to expand it. Comcast already imposes a 250GB cap. I know a few other cable companies are doing it and this may drive other telecos to follow suit. I know Canadian companies are also doing this. DSLreports.com's forums exploded when this news broke a few weeks ago. It's still an active topic on DSLReports.com so if you need suggestions on where to go, I'd look over there.

To add to the insult, they're gonna buy T-Mobile. Ouch.

Anyway, my dad wants to get a smartphone, he wants it so he can do stock trading while he works. We're on Verizon, and I'm just looking at upgrading his line only (To farting hell with $30 data plans per phone and additional charges for tethering!)

So, the Droid X is currently the most appealing. Pretty big screen, don't really need a keyboard, plus it's free with contract. Will look into rooting the phone and other customizations down the line too.

Though, any other phone worth mentioning by the way?

I'd probably go with the Droid X if they're gonna give it to you for free with contract.

The bending over will only go...deeper. Have you considered the Thunderbolt?

Saw it, liked it, tis' $150 too much. :p

Biggest reason for this is to cut out NetFlix, Hulu, and other streamers who are eating into their U-verse TV subscriptions. Comcast already imposes a 250GB cap. I know a few other cable companies are doing it and this may drive other telecos to follow suit. I know Canadian companies are also doing this. DSLreports.com's forums exploded when this news broke a few weeks ago. It's still an active topic on DSLReports.com so if you need suggestions on where to go, I'd look over there.

To add to the insult, they're gonna buy T-Mobile. Ouch.

I'd probably go with the Droid X if they're gonna give it to you for free with contract.

Not to mention, I heard that AT&T's own U-verse TV service won't contribute to the cap.

What's also funny is that their usage meter can be wildly inaccurate too. I just checked mine and the figures from AT&T are gigabytes higher than what my router shows. I'm finally switching to Charter once my contract is over, hopefully they'll still offer unmetered service then...

I read about the acquisition too. You always seem to hear AT&T complaining every now and then that their networks are heavily congested, but don't do nilly about it except do price hikes and place limits, and that upgrading is too costly. Then all of a sudden, AT&T throws $39 billion at T-Mobile.

As for the phone, I guess I might as well take the plunge...

For anyone curious, Dell mobility is the one offering the phone and others.

http://mobility.dell.com/template/simpleautocontent.aspx?pageid=8692&r=dellmobility&refcode1=DMS_0323_004_EMAILDROIDX

Edited by shiroikaze

Saw it, liked it, tis' $150 too much. :p

Not to mention, I heard that AT&T's own U-verse TV service won't contribute to the cap.

What's also funny is that their usage meter can be wildly inaccurate too. I just checked mine and the figures from AT&T are gigabytes higher than what my router shows. I'm finally switching to Charter once my contract is over, hopefully they'll still offer unmetered service then...

I read about the acquisition too. You always seem to hear AT&T complaining every now and then that their networks are heavily congested, but don't do nilly about it except do price hikes and place limits, and that upgrading is too costly. Then all of a sudden, AT&T throws $39 billion at T-Mobile.

As for the phone, I guess I might as well take the plunge...

For anyone curious, Dell mobility is the one offering the phone and others.

http://mobility.dell.com/template/simpleautocontent.aspx?pageid=8692&r=dellmobility&refcode1=DMS_0323_004_EMAILDROIDX

The Droid X has a nice screen, but I'm not a fan of Motorola's aesthetic (which, judging by the Atrix, they seem to be doing away with). While Verizon had/had a ton of Android phones, the best of the batch have been either the Droid X or the Droid Incredible (which is what I wound up getting).

I'd shop around and see what other deals you can get... the last time Dell was offering something I at a price I wanted, I was at the checkout screen when I noticed that they were charging a lot more than they'd advertised. I went a few rounds with some of their customer support people before I basically told them all to go eff themselves.

Meanwhile, I see Amazon is offering either the Droid X or the Incredible for a penny, with free 2-day shipping to boot.

The Droid X has a nice screen, but I'm not a fan of Motorola's aesthetic (which, judging by the Atrix, they seem to be doing away with). While Verizon had/had a ton of Android phones, the best of the batch have been either the Droid X or the Droid Incredible (which is what I wound up getting).

I'd shop around and see what other deals you can get... the last time Dell was offering something I at a price I wanted, I was at the checkout screen when I noticed that they were charging a lot more than they'd advertised. I went a few rounds with some of their customer support people before I basically told them all to go eff themselves.

Meanwhile, I see Amazon is offering either the Droid X or the Incredible for a penny, with free 2-day shipping to boot.

Yeah, the big screen is the main draw for my dad really.

I saw the Amazon deal too, the phone is $50 for existing family plan users unfortunately :(.

Quick question for anyone who knows... if a store offered to upgrade a primary line but you give them a secondary line's number, will Verizon automatically switch that line to primary?

Yeah, the big screen is the main draw for my dad really.

I saw the Amazon deal too, the phone is $50 for existing family plan users unfortunately :(.

Quick question for anyone who knows... if a store offered to upgrade a primary line but you give them a secondary line's number, will Verizon automatically switch that line to primary?

They can, or they can do something similar. My wife hasn't had a new phone in years, but I've had three phones in three years now. The catch is that the the line that is the primary line has to renew. Like, I have a year left on my contract, so I use her available upgrade to get a new phone on my line. If you have multiple lines that are available to renew, I think you can just have Verizon change the primary line. Again, my wife's line used to be the primary line, but when I got a smartphone and added a $30 a month data plan, my line was more expensive, and Verizon would only apply her work discount to one line. So we made my line the primary line, and it saved us some money.

My zune 30gb is starting to show signs of failure know any good replacements that are not an ipod?

I'd recommend another Zune but word from the grapevine is the Zune will be gone before the year is out and Microsoft will fold in the functionality into Windows Mobile. So your choices are either a Sandisk Sansa or iRiver if you want flash-based or a Sony Network Walkman. I think Archos only makes flash-based players so that's all you'll have to pick from.

I'm thinking of replacing my Laptop with a Tablet in the coming year can any one recommend any particular maker/model?

A tablet PC (a laptop that supports a touchscreen) or a tablet (i.e. iPad)? I really do not recommend a tablet to replace a laptop unless that laptop is a netbook. A tablet is good, but only if you plan to be mobile and/or just need something for web/e-mail/social media. If you plan on using it as your primary machine, I'd stick with an actual laptop.

Charter has had bandwidth caps since 2009.

Edited by anime52k8

I'd recommend another Zune but word from the grapevine is the Zune will be gone before the year is out and Microsoft will fold in the functionality into Windows Mobile. So your choices are either a Sandisk Sansa or iRiver if you want flash-based or a Sony Network Walkman. I think Archos only makes flash-based players so that's all you'll have to pick from.

I heard they were discontinuing zune hardware support. I do like the zune hd and bb has it on sale.

Had an iriver which died didn't really like the UI. Did like the fm recording feature though.

Why not an ipod?

I really don't like Apple products. I feel they're over rated.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

What the, oh that's lame. Well, at least I found a couple of smaller providers for my area that offer similar to better pricing.

I've heard they've been semi-enforcing it. But the cap is mentioned in the TOS:

http://www.charter.com/footer/footerPage.jsp?tag=policies_resi_hsi_accep_use_policy

14. NO EXCESSIVE USE OF BANDWIDTH

The Service is for residential use and only within limits that Charter considers reasonable for the service level to which Customer subscribes. Residential service usage for Customers subscribing to the Lite or Express packages should not exceed 100 Gigabytes ("GB") of data per month. Usage for Customers subscribing to the Plus or Max packages should not exceed 250 GB of data per month and usage for Customers subscribing to the Ultra60 package should not exceed 500 GB of data per month. Charter reserves the right to revise or implement additional usage limits at any time.

It is a violation of this Policy to use the Service in excess of these limits. In these cases, Charter may, in its sole discretion, notify Customer of excessive use and (i) request Customer to employ corrective or self-limiting actions to comply with this provision; (ii) suspend or terminate Customer's Service account; or (iii) request that Customer subscribe to a version of the Service (such as a commercial grade Internet service, if appropriate) for use at higher data consumption levels that align with Customer's usage patterns. Charter's determination of the data consumption for Service accounts is final.

The smaller ISPs will probably run cap-less but I don't know for how much longer.

Okay, need some help.

1: (Don't know if anyone posted this before), Firefox 3.6.16 keeps crashing (after a clean install of Win 7), I even tried to revert (clean install of course) to a version prior to 3.45 of Firefox, and I am still crashing. Crash occurs when the browser plays even the simplest FLASH file(s) and/or various CSS/Javascript.

I also disabled and uninstalled the plugins, and I still crash... any suggestions (besides the use of I.E., Opera, or Chrome)?

2: I have created a redirect for a web page after viewers filled out a form, but comes up with an error in I.E.8 and 9, works fine in 6/7 and in Firefox (up to current version). Unfortunately, the M.I.S. personnel will not change over 60,000 employees web browser to firefox just to accomodate a single page. Would like some help from a fellow web developer to look at the code, and try it out for themselves. Please pm for personal email address so that I can forward the HTML file.

3: Regards to router, I purchased the Dlink DIR 615 router, and has run quite stable/smoothly. I do have lots of wireless and P.O.E. products around the house.

Previously, my old WRT54GL router from Linksys would usually crap out or get interference from another wireless source, every 3rd or 5th day I would have to do the old "unplug/replug" routine, which became a nuisance for the wireless and P.O.E. users.

Now my old G router acts as a wireless/wired hub in another part of the house, connecting wired/wireless devices to the network and has never crapped out on me... through the P.O.E. device. Just for the hell of it, the living room computer is wirelessly connected to the internet via the G router. :D

Hey everyone I have a bit of a situation here and wondering if some of you may have an answer. I have a DELL Studio 540 Core duo quad tower with Vista in it. I'll spare the long story of why but a month ago I took it to both Best Buy and one of the recommended PC stores here in town, lots of $$$ later and a new Motherboard my PC still has the issue which is this:

You turn the computer on and shes runs just fine, Monitor is clear as a bell, sounds is great, drivers are all seem to function, I can still play MOH & COD, Youtube, Adobe, etc. But anywhere between 10-15 minutes and maybe a few hours my PC complete freezes up. Both the mouse & keyboard are dead sticks and even after waiting a full day it simply will not respond so you have to shut down manually.

So basically I am at a loss what to do short buying a new tower or laptop at this point, the PC store was useless and they had no real ideas but how I should give them more money. I have the latest Norton installed, so no viruses or issues like that.

I thought was maybe a bad Graphics card but maybe its the Vista software?? :unsure:

Any advice or thoughts would be great. Thanks, 505th

I swear graphics card drivers are an often-overlooked source of crashes and freezes. ATI and Nvidia seem to update them so often I don't think they get tested that well. I've rolled back to an older driver many times after an update actually makes my PC worse.

I swear graphics card drivers are an often-overlooked source of crashes and freezes. ATI and Nvidia seem to update them so often I don't think they get tested that well. I've rolled back to an older driver many times after an update actually makes my PC worse.

Tell me about it. The most irritating one was one that gave me solid improvement in performance on a game I was playing at the time, but due to a bug in the driver once the fans on my card spun up, they wouldn't go back to normal without rebooting the computer.

*snip*

Is it just locking up, no blue screen or the screen going black?

I've noticed a lot of times Vista and 7 will actually cause a bsod and give a proper corresponding code for bad ram. If the screen goes black and it locks up it's usually a graphics card heating issue.

Is it just locking up, no blue screen or the screen going black?

I've noticed a lot of times Vista and 7 will actually cause a bsod and give a proper corresponding code for bad ram. If the screen goes black and it locks up it's usually a graphics card heating issue.

Hey Chewie, thats the odd thing, no black or blue screen. My windows background and Mozilla Browser open with MW, Ebay & Youtube all showing when it locks up. yesterday I downloaded Driver Detective an ran that through to see if anything was out of date or needed replaced, sure wish the PC repair store had done that first. Seems to be running ok right now.

But I was reading online that Windows Vista & 7 have some classic glitches to them. I think I am still going to order a new Graphics Card though and at least know that item is replaced and keep narrowing down what might be wrong.

As of now my Dell 540 has a ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB Graphics card, any recommendations on a better replacement? GeForce??

Thanks guys!

Edited by 505thAirborne