You can reset it from the default. You'll need to make the menu bar show up for that to happen.

Control Panel->Folder Options->"View" tab->"Always show menu bar."

Then you can change the view to List/Detail/Large icons/etc. as you would in XP.

Azrael, that's not the problem. And it happened again 2 secs ago (like it has every day since I installed Win7). It shows them in list format, sorted by type, like I want. It just shows them sorted by date modified, first, for a moment. You know how Win7 constantly re-arranges things? Like if you rename a file from "AAAA" to "TTTT" it will *immediately* re-arrange things so that the file is in the "T's" now? It's like that.

Other annoyance: The "windows did not shut down properly" message. Any way to disable that, or auto-skip it? I know when it happens, it usually means either a power failure, or I hit the reset button on purpose. Strangely, when this occurs, it also seems to reset/delete many cookies, including MW's, for some reason.

I mean, if I hit the reset button--I want a reboot! Not stop 5 secs into the process and tell me it didn't shut down....

Azrael, that's not the problem. And it happened again 2 secs ago (like it has every day since I installed Win7). It shows them in list format, sorted by type, like I want. It just shows them sorted by date modified, first, for a moment. You know how Win7 constantly re-arranges things? Like if you rename a file from "AAAA" to "TTTT" it will *immediately* re-arrange things so that the file is in the "T's" now? It's like that.

Other annoyance: The "windows did not shut down properly" message. Any way to disable that, or auto-skip it? I know when it happens, it usually means either a power failure, or I hit the reset button on purpose. Strangely, when this occurs, it also seems to reset/delete many cookies, including MW's, for some reason.

I mean, if I hit the reset button--I want a reboot! Not stop 5 secs into the process and tell me it didn't shut down....

To clarify, do you mean list like columns and columns of files and folders (my preferred view, and one I wish Mac OS has), or do you mean the view that has all the files and folders in one column, with details in subsequent columns?

I have to chime in, I use list view sorted alphabetically for all of my folders, and even a huge one like my downloads folder doesn't do what you describe.

I don't know what "large" is but I have folders with hundreds of pictures in them and there's no instant re-sort of how things are listed. I do have a neat problem of my own though:

I have an SSD as my primary boot drive and for the programs I want to fly open (photoshop for example). I have a SATA III Caviar Black 1TB drive for all my documents. Occasionally, without any warning or obvious reason, my computer stops detecting the Caviar Black. So, I'll be photo-editing, go to browse my photos, and I have to reboot the computer to find the drive. A reboot always resolves it. Any idea what might be causing this? It's been fairly consistent since installation. No odd sounds or errors.

I use list view for just about everything.

Ok, made screen caps. Took a few tries to time it right, but here it is. First pic is about 0.5secs after clicking the mouse---the folder opens up, and it's actually sorted by file name, regardless of type. I never, ever, ever sort purely by name. Second pic is another 0.5 secs later. Win7 has re-sorted things by type--how I always sort things, how I last opened this folder, and how I last closed this folder. Yet every time I open it (and other) folders---it "forgets" how things were sorted, and just opens it up how it feels like--then corrects itself a moment later.

Folder1.jpg

Folders2.jpg

It's like Win7 always defaults to sorting by name, then after it opens a folder, it goes and checks to see if that's how I want it.

I have an SSD as my primary boot drive and for the programs I want to fly open (photoshop for example). I have a SATA III Caviar Black 1TB drive for all my documents. Occasionally, without any warning or obvious reason, my computer stops detecting the Caviar Black. So, I'll be photo-editing, go to browse my photos, and I have to reboot the computer to find the drive. A reboot always resolves it. Any idea what might be causing this? It's been fairly consistent since installation. No odd sounds or errors.

1) The cable is the problem. Either it is loose or it's just a bad cable.

2) The plug on the motherboard is bad or not suited for that hard drive. Try a different SATA port on the motherboard.

Or the much worst scenarios:

3) The hard drive is dying. Download HD diagnostic tools from Western Digital and see if the S.M.A.R.T. sensor was tripped. Replace ASAP.

4) Your motherboard is dying. Replace ASAP.

A few other scenarios are software. Either some power management is running and shutting down the HD, or firmware on the HD's controller board is bad and needs to be flashed, or you need to update a driver.

Sadly my motherboard (Rampage III Formula) only has two SATA III ports so if it's the port I'm hosed. There is good reason to suspect the port though as I originally had my SSD connected to this port and my computer wouldn't boot from it. Switched ports and everything was hunky dorey (I assumed that was just a quirk about port priority that most bigger computer buffs would know). Ran a quick diagnostic, no errors. So, the only possibility it sounds I have much control over is the cable. Do you happen to know if the SATA III cable is the same as SATA II? The only reason I question it is because my motherboard came with wires specifically labeled SATA III but that may just be marketing junk. I have lots of SATA cables to swap out if they're all the same.

Sadly my motherboard (Rampage III Formula) only has two SATA III ports so if it's the port I'm hosed. There is good reason to suspect the port though as I originally had my SSD connected to this port and my computer wouldn't boot from it. Switched ports and everything was hunky dorey (I assumed that was just a quirk about port priority that most bigger computer buffs would know). Ran a quick diagnostic, no errors. So, the only possibility it sounds I have much control over is the cable. Do you happen to know if the SATA III cable is the same as SATA II? The only reason I question it is because my motherboard came with wires specifically labeled SATA III but that may just be marketing junk. I have lots of SATA cables to swap out if they're all the same.

The cable should should not matter. SATA 3 cables are just rated for the higher speeds of SATA 3. Otherwise, there's no difference.

I use list view for just about everything.

Ok, made screen caps. Took a few tries to time it right, but here it is. First pic is about 0.5secs after clicking the mouse---the folder opens up, and it's actually sorted by file name, regardless of type. I never, ever, ever sort purely by name. Second pic is another 0.5 secs later. Win7 has re-sorted things by type--how I always sort things, how I last opened this folder, and how I last closed this folder. Yet every time I open it (and other) folders---it "forgets" how things were sorted, and just opens it up how it feels like--then corrects itself a moment later.

It's like Win7 always defaults to sorting by name, then after it opens a folder, it goes and checks to see if that's how I want it.

This might help.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/can-i-stop-windows-7-from-automatically-resorting/799858a9-d37c-4b91-b30f-8cf0f6f87c46

That's a separate (also annoying) issue that seems to be inherent/common with Win7. My issue is triggered by "double clicking on a folder to open/view its contents"--I've found a few google references to it, but it seems to be "uncommon" at best.

Need help on figuring out a good graphics card for under $300.

That would rule out B. Unless you have a coupon or can get a discount, B is out of the picture.

Out of the remaining selection, C is the best card. A would be the next, followed by D. If you really wanna stay under $300, A would be the best choice. C and A are fairly close in performance but either one of those would be the better buy over D.

That would rule out B. Unless you have a coupon or can get a discount, B is out of the picture.

Out of the remaining selection, C is the best card. A would be the next, followed by D. If you really wanna stay under $300, A would be the best choice. C and A are fairly close in performance but either one of those would be the better buy over D.

I don't mind paying a little bit over $300. I just received a coupon for x% off PCIe cards. Is a blu-ray burner worth buying atm?

EDit:

Is Windows 7 Ultimate ed. worth getting?

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Is a blu-ray burner worth buying atm?

Unless you plan on burning Blu-ray discs and using your computer as a media center, not really. They are cheap enough these days but unless u plan on burning BDRs, then no.

EDit:

Is Windows 7 Ultimate ed. worth getting?

Do you need BitLocker Drive Encryption, UNIX application support, multilanguage interface, more Windows Media Player features, multiple virtual machine support? If no, then no. If yes, then get that.

Unless you plan on burning Blu-ray discs and using your computer as a media center, not really. They are cheap enough these days but unless u plan on burning BDRs, then no.

Would like to create a digital library of sorts.

Do you need BitLocker Drive Encryption, UNIX application support, multilanguage interface, more Windows Media Player features, multiple virtual machine support? If no, then no. If yes, then get that.

Probably not.But a friend keeps insisting i get from a certain website for 50 usd.

Is there a way to convert a molex connection to a 4 pin without soldering.

You mean a molex power connector to a 4-pin power connector? Isn't that the same thing? :blink: Or you mean a molex to a 4-pin PSU cable? Or a molex to a 4-pin connector cable/splitter?

4 pin on motherboard for fan. Case I have has molex connections for the fans.

They usually don't make those because those 2 extra pins are usually for controlling the fan speed so I won't try to solder a molex into that. A 3-pin to molex adapter should work with that motherboard connector.

Where can I buy a notebook video card online? Nowhere I normally look online can I find one, and I think the video card on my laptop is starting to go.

Ebay? Unless the laptop has a MXM, Axiom, or proprietary "Dell slot", it is nearly impossible to replace video cards of notebooks.

Ebay? Unless the laptop has a MXM, Axiom, or proprietary "Dell slot", it is nearly impossible to replace video cards of notebooks.

Why in the world do they make it so fragging difficult? That is just stupid to me.

Why in the world do they make it so fragging difficult? That is just stupid to me.

How else do you expect them to make the laptop so thin?

How old is the laptop? You may find one for old old ones but newer ones usually have the video card soldered to the motherboard. Either way, you'll probably be searching Ebay or Craigslist for a video card.

The laptop is maybe 2 years old and has an Nvidia 9800m gs in it now, and I know nvidia makes the current models for laptops. Also the video card in this is not sodered in I have removed it before for cleaning and reseating, as that tends to be this beasts major source of problems.

Any recommendations on a good monitor? Need a nnew one since I finished my new build.

I'm partial to Samsung. A lot of their stuff has become cheaply made and overpriced lately, but they still make solid displays.

So... A or B

Depends on how committed you are to Best Buy. I use them a lot for bigger purchases because you can get that 18 months no interest deal, but you gotta spend more than $200 to get it.

It' also depends on your budget, whether or not you want integrated speakers, and what kind of inputs you need. I mean, HDMI seems to be the thing, but for me it's gotta have DVI.

I'd say if it's really between those two, go with the Asus. Not only is it cheaper and bigger, but you've got more inputs (the Sammy doesn't have a DVI input? Really?) and, if you're like me and tend to hook up multiple devices to a single monitor, it's got built-in speakers. Sure, on my main PC I have a nice set of Logitech 5.1 speakers, but it's handy to have the built-in speakers for the odd occasion when I hook my Mac or my Xbox up to it.

"But Mike," I hear some of you saying, "that Asus is only LCD, and the Sammy is LED! Surely that's worth the extra money!" Nope. Sure, LED does better blacks (assuming it's backlit and not edgelit), but in practical use I haven't found the difference to be so great that I'd rather have a smaller LED than a bigger LCD for my money. Because that was my mistake... I'd bought a 22" Samsung SyncMaster T220 in the spring of 2009. And while it was a great monitor, I found myself wishing it were bigger almost immediately. So this summer, just a bit over two years later, I wound up buying a 27" Samsung SyncMaster P2770HD. So yeah, even if you think you don't want to spend the money now, I'd still suggest it's better to do it now to get what you really want than have to do it again later.

If you're open to ordering online, I've actually bought my last two monitors off Newegg (I guess that also assumes you're in the US or Canada). I'd guess it might be more of a hassle if you need to return it, but I haven't had any issues with either of mine. You can get a 23" Samsung for $149.99 and free shipping (although that one doesn't have HDMI), or a slightly better 23" Samsung for $190 (use coupon code EMCKBJB46).

Now.. C or D

Starting to sound like an optometrist.

Extraordinarily similar. C is maybe a tick smaller, but is LED and has a slightly faster response rate. D is a little cheaper, LCD, and has a slightly slower response rate (but I haven't noticed a difference between 2ms and 5ms personally, even while gaming). Same resolution, same connections, both have built-in speakers. I guess I'd probably go with C.