It Lives...

captain america

Hey Capt.,

I got the kit in this morning, it looks great! I was wondering about the status of the instructions. Also, about the metal casting, I was recently looking at a Micro Tools catalog, there was a home metal casting kit in there. The metal they use can be melted with a simple candle flame/mini-torch and uses rubber(?) molds. I am not sure about the strengh limitations of that metal though. I only mention it because it would seem like a economical way to keep cost down for you without having to resort to an outside vendor, especially if the production run is small (20 kits?).

Also, do you plan to adapt the current fuselage parts so that it can accomodate a future folded ride-suit and pilot kit if you should decide to do so?

Leon

PS - I will send the second payment soon.

Instructions: are presently underway. Will need another couple of weeks to complete the plates.

Folded ride-suit: may be offered later as an option along with a pilot, though the former can't actually be placed in the stowage compartment because it wasn't made hollow on the Legioss for structural reasons.

Unlike in the anime where Stick just presses a button and up pops the MOSPEADA, on my version the bike is stowed in about the same place, but due to the impracticality of anime magic, the pilot has to physically detatch the main soldier mode viewscreen (in the chest cavity) and haul the bike up manually. Not nearly as glamorous, but waaaaay more realistic.

Ghadrack: I would recommend test-fitting the installments as you get them, just to get the feel for the way things go together. Of course, painting/finishing is recommended to be done all at once, because as you plug the different modules together, you may want to drill & add pins to strengthen certain components, especially in Fighter mode.

You want to see pics of 1/6th of the kit, as in, the parts of a single appendage?

I haven't decided if I am going to assemble mine in stages as they are released or save them up and do one big build at the end.

Save them up and do the big build at the end!!!! That's what I'm going to do :lol:

Save them up and do the big build at the end!!!! That's what I'm going to do :lol:

Yep!

I'll probably do the basic clean-up on the parts as I get them, but hold off on assembly until I have them all.

Looking forward to getting the instructions. I'm still not sure how some of the parts are supposed to go together!

I popped the box open last night and started to do a litle minor clean up stuff, and did some test fitting per the Captain's recommendation. I' snapped a few pictures that I'll try to get uploaded tonight if noone beats me to it. The gun next to a soda can is pretty funny. This thing is going to be monsterous.

I popped the box open last night and started to do a litle minor clean up stuff, and did some test fitting per the Captain's recommendation. I' snapped a few pictures that I'll try to get uploaded tonight if noone beats me to it. The gun next to a soda can is pretty funny. This thing is going to be monsterous.

Please post pics when you can!!! I'm waiting for mine to arrive :)

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. Nope, I never use clay because it would just create a very messy seam line which I consider unacceptable from a detail perspective. I just pour the silicone rubber over the parts and then surgically extricate them with a sharp X-acto blade and a little elbow grease.

Hi john, i really admire your work..... could you please show us one of the already extricated molds.

I´m making my own scratch and i would like to learn more from the master before making my own molds. here is the WIP link of the work i´m currently involved.

http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1js57b4cboiu76qfe1qg5732k5&topic=5726.0

Thanks in advance

Hi john, i really admire your work..... could you please show us one of the already extricated molds.

I´m making my own scratch and i would like to learn more from the master before making my own molds. here is the WIP link of the work i´m currently involved.

http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1js57b4cboiu76qfe1qg5732k5&topic=5726.0

Thanks in advance

You want to see the mold (hardened rubber) or the casting?

The cut rubber mold block, so we could see how do you cut it in order to extract the casted piece..... :huh:

BTW, did you see my project?. I would like to know your comments and opinion.

Thanks

Here you go. Not rocket science by any stretch, just requires a careful hand and lots of patience.

Your mech modeling looks excellent; parts look simple enough so they shouldn't give you too much trouble to mold :)

post-632-129886664888_thumb.jpg

post-632-129886666071_thumb.jpg

I still have to receive the first installment :unsure:

It takes 4/6 weeks to South America, I guess it has to arrive this week (hope I'll be safe and sound too!!).

Wow, that's unusually long. I shipped your "Part II" kit last Friday morning; let's hope that this isn't the postal service having a major malfunction. I've had excellent results for 2.5 decades and now suddenly in the last few months, things look like they're coming unglued :unsure:

Anyways, on a more positive note, I've been plugging-away behind the scenes for the third installment, as it (and the 4th) will be the most complex and demanding on my part. I've already started mold prep and parts-duplication but the work won't begin in earnest for another few weeks. By Friday, I'll post a little update/precursor for part III/IV (legs.)

Hi guys!

As promised, here's a mini-update for the upcoming third installment of The Beast, which will be the right leg. This will be one of the more intense parts of the project due to not only the number of parts, but also due to the volume of pouring required, as well as the fact that I will be using 2 different resins. The update itself will incorporate 2 different resins, steel screws, custom-made ABS or aluminum ball-joints, and white metal for the main landing gear.

One of the points that needed re-working were the hip joints: back in the day, the hip socket was to be held in place via much smaller WALTHERS brass screws, and I'm happy that it never materialized, as these would have been insufficient. Having then adopted the implementation of beefy steel 3mm hardware, the hips required some obvious re-tooling.

Pic 1: the whole area of the upper thigh/hip that is to house the ball sockets had to be completely redone: enter Mr. Mori-Mori. While it looks messy initially, some clever machining will take care of that.

Pic 2: after a little trip to the milling machine and a coat of primer, things are looking much better: the entire area around the socket has been beefed-up considerably, and whereas in the previous version the socket was just screwed to the flat back of the hip, in this 2.0 version, the socket is 70-75% captured. You can see in the thigh on the right that I've placed a dummy socket for fitting purposes.

Pic 3: More-or-less the same as pic 2, but the drilling locations for the screws are now done. It's designed so that the steel screws tap into the plastic, and the screw head will overlap the socket part to hold it in place; a sturdier joint would be hard to find.

Pic 4: while most of my emphasis was on the legs, I was also taking time to re-work the nose cone, which I felt was somewhat too short as it's shown here.

Pic 5: while it's still in the early stages, the new nosecone/radome assembly will be considerably longer on the 2.0 version. Arguably, it looks a tad awkward in pics, but looks way better with the rest of the aircraft. A work in progress as always.

post-632-0-94444400-1300464657_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-61121900-1300464671_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-50704700-1300464684_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-52188500-1300464697_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-69236700-1300464709_thumb.jpg

great work so far cap, keep it up, but isn't that nose a little too long, will have to check the lineart to be sure...

When I designed the whole Legioss, I went with a clean sheet of paper and made so many tweaks that I doubt the line art would be useful for checking proportions. The new nose was made extra long so that I could chisel away at it gradually until I find something I like. Easier to do it that way than to start with a form that's too short and then need to add material.