About the Package Renewal YF-19

Actar

I am really curious to find out about the quality of Yamato's reissuing of the 1/60 YF-19. With the first few runs of the original YF-19, we've had loose joints, crooked gunpods, stress marks and (possibly?) broken pieces. From what I have gathered, the recent repaints of the YF-19 (Double Nuts, etc...) were all far better in quality than the original.

Which leads me to my question. Are there any improvements with the Package Renewal version of the YF-19? I've heard of the possibility of a re-tooled YF-19 being released a couple of years down the road, so I was wondering if I should spring for the Package Renewal version or hold out.

I just got myself the latest new packaging version, it's said that it's refined version after DN with different shade of color to identify itself from earlier release.

I never had the earlier copy so I don't know the difference, but the repackage version works fine for me.

Just got my re-release YF-19 a couple of days ago, and I'd say its a massive improvement, judging from the flaws sited in the reviews of the first and second batches.

As far as a retool of the YF-19 is concerned, I don't think Yamato has confirmed anything yet. IRRC, I think Graham said they're just considering the possibility of retooling the YF-19, IMO probably from the "still in development" VF-19 Fire Kai.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and buy the New Package YF-19. It's a nice-looking Valk with all the improvements of the DN. Besides, two years is a pretty long time if you're waiting from something that hasn't been confirmed.

If you're a fan of the YF-19, I say buy it.

I assume the chest hasn't been modified and still relies on gravity to stay in place?

Yep. Not a problem for me though, since I'm not particularly fond of the "skydiving" pose. Looks great in photos, but personally I don't think it'll look too good displayed on a shelf that way--but that's just me.

The YF-19 was first released back in 2006, the new packaging version is just same mold with some bugs removed.

IIRC Yamato has defined their Macross toy line in 3 generations.

First Generation (1G) 2000~2003

Typically the 1/72 Mac+ and V1 VF-1. These are the very first Yamato Macross line.

Second Generation (2G) 2003~2008

1/48 VF-1, YF-19, YF-21 etc are the new generation with better scuplt and transformation mechanism which they have re-engineered everything. The 2G toys are great, but the toolings are still not perfect, you will find uneven panels, loose fitment and gap here and there.

Third Generation (3G) 2008~2010

VF-11B, V2 VF-1 and any valkyries that are available in this timeline are regarded as 3G with much more advance toolings. 3G has flushed fitment, more gimmicks, more advance tampo printing technoloy and molds to create better seam line, panel line, and texture.

The V2 YF-19 is still a myth, plausible toy as G3 toy line which may comes in near future after the Fire valkyrie, but none was confirmed.

Edited by Vi-RS

Yep. Not a problem for me though, since I'm not particularly fond of the "skydiving" pose. Looks great in photos, but personally I don't think it'll look too good displayed on a shelf that way--but that's just me.

Eh, I'm not into skydiving poses either. I just like my valks to not frobble around and feel all junky when I pick them up.

The YF-19 was first released back in 2006, the new packaging version is just same mold with some bugs removed.

Hm, could you elaborate on what the specific bugs that have been removed are?

Edited by Actar

Eh, I'm not into skydiving poses either. I just like my valks to not frobble around and feel all junky when I pick them up.

Good point. Well, I remember seeing a mod posted on the MW scratch-building forum to remedy the problem. You just superglue two inch-long pieces of electrical wire onto the interior sides of the torso frame, which holds the nose in place in battroid mode. From the looks of it, the mod seems unobtrusive in all three modes.

Still, the problem doesn't bother me enough for me to want to mod it. I usually just display it on my TV rack, and only handle it when changing poses.

Edited by GU-11

Hm, could you elaborate on what the specific bugs that have been removed are?

Bugs/design-flaws:

- Gunpod angles about 20 degrees to the right(?) STATUS: FIXED

- Loose wing roots (actually, the swiveling joints that hold the wings on the battroid's hips) STATUS: FIXED

- Random reports of loose shoulder joints STATUS: SUBJECT TO QC?

- Super-tight neck cover STATUS: NOT FIXED

EDIT: Probably one of two others as well, but this is all I can remember for now.

It also includes the Fold Booster as well.

And the Jan Neuman figure and his backseat. And a "display rack" for the fold booster.

Edited by GU-11

Bugs/design-flaws:

- Gunpod angles about 20 degrees to the right(?) STATUS: FIXED

- Loose wing roots (actually, the swiveling joints that hold the wings on the battroid's hips) STATUS: FIXED

- Random reports of loose shoulder joints STATUS: SUBJECT TO QC?

- Super-tight neck cover STATUS: NOT FIXED

EDIT: Probably one of two others as well, but this is all I can remember for now.

And the Jan Neuman figure and his backseat. And a "display rack" for the fold booster.

Remember to add the "angled rear landing gear" to the list of initial release flaws. Not sure if it got fixed, tough.

Remember to add the "angled rear landing gear" to the list of initial release flaws. Not sure if it got fixed, tough.

Nope, that hasn't been fixed either. Still, I'm not sure if that isn't part of a legitimate design compromise. If the landing gears were to be fully extended, the rear part of the plane would be raised higher than the front, and it wouldn't be level. And it you tried to spread the landing gears out sideways, the covers kind of get in the way.

That said, I'm no expert on this. I do remember reading about a mod fix for the landing gears, which allows them to spread out a little further for better anime accuracy.

not 100% sure, but iirc the "angled rear landing gears" refer to how the wheels are angled, not the struts. :unsure:

still hoping for a v.3 YF-19. the only real complaint i have w/ the current 1/60 YF-19 is the gullet... everything else i can live with.

Well, it there's going to be a v3, it'll most likely be a retool of the still-in-development VF-19 Fire Kai, and even then, probably only after the VF-19S's eventual release.

Either way, with the YF-19 being an all-time favorite of mine, I'd be more than willing to put down some cash for a V3...if and when it gets made.

AFAIK, the FP bundle set was perfect, at least as far as QC/defects. I know mine didn't have a crooked gunpod (I would say the codpiece still gets in the way a bit, but that's just a bad design right there, from the hory froating head's design to Yamato's execution on it), landing gear, etc.

Swapping pilots with the VF-11B made it much better.

This says nothing to the design issues like the non-locking chest, and my biggest beef, the canopy/nose business: love the 2-piece opening canopy. Hate having to dislocate the nose to open it.

...and my biggest beef, the canopy/nose business: love the 2-piece opening canopy. Hate having to dislocate the nose to open it.

Actually, the right way to do it is to push down on the black "anti-glare" section (or blue for the DN) in front of the canopy to make space for it to open up. To raise the anti-glare section again, just push up at the gray tab located under the nose. It's written in the instructions manual, but it seems a lot of owners overlooked this (myself included). Yamato has since posted a three-step guide in their website, along with instructions for transforming the neck.

Edited by GU-11

With the black piece down, it doesn't let you open it more than 30-40 degrees or so. To get beyond it, it opens up the nose. If the black piece went down all the way, or retracted forward into the nose (kinda like the VF-11 heat shield), it could work like that.

EDIT: well just now gave it a tiny bit of force and it DOES. Or I broke it. :ph34r::lol:

EDIT2: Yup, does seem to work Hilarious, after all this time. Pretty tight to get it out of it and didn't imagine that grey botton on the bottom would stick down that far. Cool! Have a link on that? I'm about to dig through my closet for the box/instructions to see if I did miss it over. Or if it's one of those things where there's a circle and an arrow with some Japanese I can't read. :D

Edited by Uxi

With the black piece down, it doesn't let you open it more than 30-40 degrees or so. To get beyond it, it opens up the nose. If the black piece went down all the way, or retracted forward into the nose (kinda like the VF-11 heat shield), it could work like that.

EDIT: well just now gave it a tiny bit of force and it DOES. Or I broke it. :ph34r::lol:

EDIT2: Yup, does seem to work Hilarious, after all this time. Pretty tight to get it out of it and didn't imagine that grey botton on the bottom would stick down that far. Cool! Have a link on that? I'm about to dig through my closet for the box/instructions to see if I did miss it over. Or if it's one of those things where there's a circle and an arrow with some Japanese I can't read. :D

Here you go, man.

This one's even better than the one I originally saw, as it's from Yamato's English website. So for better or worse, it's been translated to English Engrish. :lol:

Edited by GU-11

• 3 months later...

I seem to recall someone asked Yamato if they would be revisiting the YF-19 to incorporate any improvements developed for the VF-19s. Does anyone remember what Yamato's answer was? What's the likelihood we'll see a new YF-19 in 1/60 scale?

This is just my personal opinion, but I think the likelihood of a new YF-19 is pretty close to 100%. There's just too much demand, (aka: $$$), to not do it. What's the alternative for Yamato when they run out of Macross Valks to build?...call it a day and quietly walk off into the sunset? I don't think so.

That being said, I wouldn't expect a new YF-19 any time soon. I suspect it will come when Yamato decides to relaunch everything. And that relaunch might not even be in 1/60 scale, because Yamato will want everyone to feel compelled to collect/buy a whole new line of freshly scaled Valks.

I don't see Yamato making a V3 YF-19 that is intended to stand shoulder to shoulder with the current YF-21, VF-11, or the rest of the 1/60 scale valks. An all new YF-19 would probably have an all new family of new valks planned for release in Alpha One's wake. The ironic part is the new valks will probably end up making the new YF-19 look substandard once again. At which point everyone will be asking if Graham knows if Yamato will release a V4 YF-19 based on the improvements they incorporated into the next generation VF-19s!

But again, this is just my prediction which is not based on any kind of factual knowledge. I could be wrong, and I really hope I am, because a new YF-19 in 1/60 scale that is intended to stand shoulder to shoulder with the current 1/60 line would totally rock. I think there is a demand for it, and I would definitely be intere$$$ted.

Here you go, man.

This one's even better than the one I originally saw, as it's from Yamato's English website. So for better or worse, it's been translated to English Engrish. :lol:

a classic Shakespearean spin on a MACROSS toy, by all due courtesy of Babblefish...

(DAMN, i NEED a YF-19D.Nuts... :( )

Edited by Shaorin

a classic Shakespearean spin on a MACROSS toy, by all due courtesy of Babblefish...

(DAMN, i NEED a YF-19D.Nuts... :( )

I laughed every time I referred to that page when I was first transforming my YF-19. :lol:

BTW, the DN seems to have been sold out everywhere, except Evilbay maybe.

The less popular BoP is still in stock in many places, though.

Still haven't decided whether to get the re-release or wait for the version 3 (if there's gonna be one in 1/60 scale). At least some issues have been resolved with v2.

I'm in the same boat. Budgeting for one toy for my birthday and was considering the YF-19 among others.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I got this desperate question. For sometimes I've been into VF-1's and collect the 1/60s.

Just bought my 1st YF (-19), the reissue with a new package. Got it 99% new, since the seller was already open the box.

I heard bad rumors that there are sellers who trick people by selling the previous release item, packed with new box :(

And I can't help to think that since my YF-19 looks a bit fragile (well, I'm comparing it with VF-1s lines), it could be the previous release.

I learned that the color of the newest reissue is brighter than the previous one. But I don't have any real comparison, and never really saw the previous release with directly (only photos).

Anybody can help me to identify (or give me some 'easy to spot' clues) my YF-19? It will be a great help to my desperation :)

Thank you folks.

see if this help, it's only in Japanese though

http://www.yamato-toys.com/blog/index.php?logid=279

Thx Alchemo, but I'm afraid it doesn't help alot. I already saw this picture of comparison before.

But since I haven't seen the previous version with my own eyes before, I can't tell which version that is mine.

I was hoping if anybody here ever spot another significant differences between those versions, perharps can share it here :)

@Twich

It's not comparison between the normal and weathering version, buddy.

The weathering ones is very easy to differentiate because of all the weathering effects it has :)

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I got this desperate question. For sometimes I've been into VF-1's and collect the 1/60s.

Just bought my 1st YF (-19), the reissue with a new package. Got it 99% new, since the seller was already open the box.

I heard bad rumors that there are sellers who trick people by selling the previous release item, packed with new box :(

And I can't help to think that since my YF-19 looks a bit fragile (well, I'm comparing it with VF-1s lines), it could be the previous release.

I learned that the color of the newest reissue is brighter than the previous one. But I don't have any real comparison, and never really saw the previous release with directly (only photos).

Anybody can help me to identify (or give me some 'easy to spot' clues) my YF-19? It will be a great help to my desperation :)

Thank you folks.

Check to see if your gunpod mounts straight, for one thing, and if your landing gear swing out all the way or if they're constantly trying to angle inward when deployed. Those were the two biggest telling points for the first run that would most easily identify if someone had pulled a switcharoo on you.

In my own personal experience with the YF-19, though, even a reissue is going to look and feel a bit wobbly, especially if you're comparing it to the feel of a V2 VF-1. That's just the way it's designed.

Check to see if your gunpod mounts straight, for one thing, and if your landing gear swing out all the way or if they're constantly trying to angle inward when deployed. Those were the two biggest telling points for the first run that would most easily identify if someone had pulled a switcharoo on you.

In my own personal experience with the YF-19, though, even a reissue is going to look and feel a bit wobbly, especially if you're comparing it to the feel of a V2 VF-1. That's just the way it's designed.

I haven't noticed it before. I'll go check em.

Thank you for the hints :)