Gnerl 1/72, step by step

cool8or

Hello Guys. Finally, it's time to start my first-english-version step by step. I hope you enjoy it and remember, my english IS NOT PERFECT, so if I'm not explaining very well, PLEASE let me know, or fix me (please fix me!). wacko.gif

This time I'll make the Gnerl, Hobby Model's version. It seems like the box designer put in the box the sculptor name, but I don't know the veracity of this information. Anyway, this is the box:

img9242l.jpg

img9243i.jpg

The kit doesn't have decals, so I'll must to make it in its moment.

img9244m.jpg

Our first task will be remove the resin excess, identified by red circles:

img9114y.jpg

img9115v.jpg

img9117.jpg

img9118j.jpg

To remove it, I use cut-off wheels for Dremel. If you don't have it, use a saw. Never cut with pliers, because you could break the piece. After cut, you can sand faster with Dremel.

img9124b.jpg

To cut and sand resin produces too much dust, so you should use a mask. Also, when you cut the wheel could breake it and hit your face or an eye, so you should use protective glasses.

img9131n.jpg

Pieces already cutted and sanded. These parts doesn't see it once assembled, so the look don't matter.

img9236.jpg

img9237r.jpg

Before:

img9238l.jpg

After:

img9239i.jpg

Here appear some bubbles, we can fix it with epoxy putty. The great thing about epoxy putty is that it don't low while it dries, so if you cover the bubble, that's it, you don't need apply once again. In fact, you can cut the putty excess with a exacto knife just after applied, so once dried you don't need to sand too much.

img9240.jpg

That's it for now. Next time, fine sanding and... boiling water!! ohmy.gif

Great to see another of Mr Moscato's sculpts getting some love.

I will be following you on this.

Sadly not by building mine as I have no spare time for the forseeable future.

I think the Dremmel should be listed as the 20th centurys best tool invention. I agree though the pistol type one takes some getting used to.

I would not be without mine. The ammount of jobs and time it has saved me has easily paid for it.

Hey Cool8er, I'm excited to see your build up... your stuff is pretty gold. Quick question; why didn't you use a resin saw for cutting those pieces? Using the dremel just seemed to make more of a mess than its worth.

I have that dremmel I don't use it often because I don't want to have to correct mistakes in the surface , you have no prob with yours good work. Are you planning to make your own decals or is there already a set that comes with this kit?

Good start. I stopped using the dremel for sanding when I sanded way to much off a couple of times.

Are you planning on making it with the cockpit open or just in flight like I did with mine in the workbench section page 34?

I painted my Zentraedi/Zentran emblems on. With the first Regult release Capt made some emblems that you had to printout and are too scale. I cut out the shape and taped them on to the right spots and painted. I attached the image for you.

post-1196-12763612299_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I have been busy working in a previous Macross proyect... a red & yellow proyect ph34r.gif

I'm finishing it, so be tuned on next week!! cool.gif

After that, I'll following the work in a VF-0S battroid and the Gnerl. Also, for the Gnerl I'm waiting for some steel balls that I need it to improve some details in the cockpit. I should get it very soon. smile.gif

• 1 month later...

OK guys!! After a lot of time, at least I could collect the pictures taken in last 2 months, and follow this step by step. The progress is not too much, but consider that I were working in the Kai, also I'm still working in the VF-0S Battroid.

The first is sanding. Here is my sands. The sand branded "BS" is a sanding foam, very useful to sand curve sections.

img9246.jpg

img9249x.jpg

img9250.jpg

This is the aspect of the frontal lasers. Not so beatiful if you watch it closely! So I decided to cut off. But as Noyhauser said, cutting resin with Dremel is a mess. So I bought a jewerly saw, and now I see that this is a far better way.

img9251q.jpg

img9255j.jpg

img9256h.jpg

img9259z.jpg

img9260.jpg

img9261c.jpg

Now I apply epoxy putty:

img9264.jpg

Edited by cool8or

As you can see, these resin parts are not correctly aligned:

img9336.jpg

img9339u.jpg

So I put it in boiling water for 20 seconds:

img9341.jpg

Now I can glue the front to the back chassis:

img9342.jpg

And I need to cut the excess resin of the frontal visor:

img9344w.jpg

img9346o.jpg

Great step-by-step! It's good to see you sticking with this build. The pics and your comments are extremely helpful. Thanks for going through all of the effort! It's very interesting and will be a huge help for others building this kit.

Keep up the great work! ^_^

Thank you Jardann for your support!

Now I will start to work in a mechanism to make the cockpit retractable:

img9353b.jpg

img9354.jpg

img9355z.jpg

img9356.jpg

img9495.jpg

I'll use an articulation part from an old kit. I'm using a styrene rod only for testing purposes, the final part will be an aluminium rod.

img9497v.jpg

img9498.jpg

I fill with epoxy putty... the sanding here will be a pain!!

img9499.jpg

Oops! At this pint I realize that I missed some pics, so I must to leave this update until here. In the next chapter, some detail products and the main assemble.

Edited by cool8or

I finally was able to stay long enough on line to see this build. Great job and very educational for those just starting! This is big enough to be a lunchbox like I was saying in the buildup for the master. Just put a handle on it :lol: Keep up the great work! - MT

• 1 month later...

Hello guys. Sorry for the delay, but also I been working in the VF-0S battroid. However, here is the update.

As I said before, the tube for opening the cockpit will be of aluminium. I cut it with my tube cutter:

img9521resize.jpg

img0050resize.jpg

I put nails to the thrusters for stronger fixing

img9631resize.jpg

img0052resize.jpg

I will make the Gnerl with the landing gear up, so I must to lower the compartment:

img9518resize.jpg

img9519resize.jpg

The cockpit border has ball details, but in the casting they lost detail. So I decided to use 2mm steel balls from http://www.mechaskunk.com/store.htm :

img9492resize.jpg

img9494resize.jpg

img0048resize.jpg

Edited by cool8or

From mechaskunk I also bought metallic thrusters, I think that they improves the overall look:

img9504resize.jpg

img9505resize.jpg

img9506resize.jpg

img9508resize.jpg

img9509resize.jpg

Pins to strengthen the nose:

img9510resizeq.jpg

Please comment to add pics!

Edited by cool8or

Thanks Ultimateone!

Before to apply the primer, I decided to see the fit of the pilot:

img0055resize.jpg

img0056resize.jpg

img0057resizeu.jpg

img0061resize.jpg

img0066resize.jpg

img0068resize.jpg

Mr. Surfacer don't have good adherence over nude and gloss resin, so after sand a little, I prime with an enamel primer. After a couple days drying, I'll apply Mr. Surfacer.

img0054resize.jpg

So there is a Glaug's partial build. Next chapter: Some details that I forgot to mention and Mr. Surfacer!

img9607resize.jpg

img9608resize.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Update time!

Now that I'd finished the VF-0, Gnerl is the only model kit in process, so this will be faster from now... as you'll see now!

First, I thought again about the nose cannons, because it would be hard to hide their cuts. So I decided to make them in a different way. But now I'll need to add them what I cut before

dsc07873k.jpg

Well, it not exist a perfect saw cut, so I had to apply some epoxy putty

dsc07874q.jpg

dsc07875.jpg

These hydraulic arms are from the missiles hatch. I made them again because originals don't look so good:

dsc07876v.jpg

dsc07877h.jpg

Comparison:

dsc07893z.jpg

This is the base color of the cockpit. I use a light gray with a pinch of blue. In the pictures it seems like a light blue, but it doesn't.

dsc07879m.jpg

No, I'll not make the Miria's Gnerl, this is the "primer" color... next you will see what I'm talking about!

dsc07880k.jpg

Please post to allow me to post the other pictures!!

Edited by cool8or

Thanks EXO.

Now, I apply wet salt in little amounts. With a toothpick, you can give them more dynamic forms:

dsc07883.jpg

With the airbrush shoot some air to remove the excess of salt and its dust. After that, apply a thin coat of paint, to affirm the salt. I apply paint after 3 or 4 piles of salt.

dsc07886y.jpg

dsc07887s.jpg

When you have finished all the piles of salt, you can apply the complete coat of paint. I apllied the post shading too, but I forgot to take the picture. Sorry for that.

dsc07888i.jpg

Oce the paint is dried, you can remove the salt with a brush or your fingers.

dsc07891t.jpg

And voilá! True chips! This is my first time using this tecnique, so only now I realise that it would be better if before I would make chips with a metal color, and after that apply the red "primer". This way I could simulate the metal chassis of the fighter. Anyway, I'm happy with this first result. I'll see if I can paint some metal ships over the red ones with another tecnique.

dsc07889i.jpg

Oops! I also fogot to take a picture with all the ships! But nevermind, now I have the Gnerl ready to paint the other colors, next time you'll see it with all its colors! Until then!

dsc07892j.jpg