All Things Video Games Thread: II

Many users said viewing the 3DS screens in stereoscopic 3D made them felt a little dizziness and fatigue; some people said you can reduce fatigue by holding the machine in a fixed position :

http://www.the-magicbox.com/1101/game110116a.shtml

From Magicbox :

It is also confirmed that 3DS will have region locks on software and network services :angry: .

If Sony can bring a PSP2 to the table with better price and battery life than the 3DS it could be a big advantage for them. On the other hand, it's Sony. The rumours right now are that the PSP2 will have graphics comparable to the PS3. I can only imagine a price tag to match and a serious hit to battery life.

Still, could be interesting. I'm looking forward to what this generation of handhelds brings.

here's what I want from a PSP2:

-UMD sized bluray compression disc's (with full PSP UMD backwards compatability)

-Region Free (again)

-The ability to have multiple user accounts (like the PS3), which would enable one to have both a U.S. & Japanese PSN account on the same PSP (allowing for DLC & whatnot play in both regions).

-Dual analog sticks/nubs (whichever is scientifically proven to be more durable)

-An equal sized (to the current PSP) mini-HD screen.

-Some way to include L2/R2 buttons.

-Compatability with most commercially released digital copies that come with movies.

-Continued support of the memory stick pro-duo (since Ij ust bought a 32 gig one).

-Trophy interaction with your main PSN account, since it already uses the same login.

-Blutooth compatability with the PS3, so adhoc party will work with wi-fi connected PS3's.

-A browswer with a significantly larger cash, and and beefier flash.

I don't expect PS3 level graphics without an obscene price tag, but no doubt it will be pretty for a handheld.

Things I don't need:

-A ipad like touch screen

-Kindle support (well, maybe)

-a camera.

And for godsake, give the thing the option of having a decent battery from the start.

Edited by Keith

I got bored one day and decided to do the Xeogears cinema cheat on Disk 2 of the game.

You need the Lunar: The Silver Star Story Compete to do this trick. You put the Making of Lunar disk in your console of choice (I don't know if this trick works for the PS3, but it does for the other consoles) and let it run until the title screen appears. You then open the drive and insert whatever Xenogears game disk you want to watch the cinemas of.

I was suprised by what I saw. The animation sequences were done by none other than Production Studio I.G., and the CG stuff was done by the masters at GONZO!!! No wonder why I loved this game; Learning in Tips & Tricks that Yasunori Mitsuda didthe soundtrack was also a nice touch (his best work next to his Final Fantasy stuff (I'm not sure if he did anything from Final Fantsy; I'm going by Tips & Tricks here); nah, his Xenogears stuff blows that stuff out of the water), I especially love the Yggdrasil sub theme. I think I'll start that game again, since it's been at least a few years since I've touched it.

Edited by Wanzerfan

I don't think they'll make that stupid mistake like Nintendo did with the 3DS, for example the PS3 isn't region looked except for the Blu-Ray, which it does not concern me.

I'm still trying to rationalise how this is going to work. PS3 games come on blurays, which average between 25-50 gigs. If the NGP were to play the same/comparable games, it'd have to have a huge amount of internal memory (in the 100's of gigs/terrabyte range). A solid state drive is too big and unreliable to fit in that thing. Flash memory is far too expensive to implement at those capacities. That would mean you'd either have to download & play games in chunks (weak). Or stream them online while playing, which limits portability. Unless of course you pop for the 3G connection, which would mean you're constantly paying to play games.

I don't like the way things are going with this system. PSP FOREVER!

I'm still trying to rationalise how this is going to work. PS3 games come on blurays, which average between 25-50 gigs. If the NGP were to play the same/comparable games, it'd have to have a huge amount of internal memory (in the 100's of gigs/terrabyte range). A solid state drive is too big and unreliable to fit in that thing. Flash memory is far too expensive to implement at those capacities. That would mean you'd either have to download & play games in chunks (weak). Or stream them online while playing, which limits portability. Unless of course you pop for the 3G connection, which would mean you're constantly paying to play games.

I don't like the way things are going with this system. PSP FOREVER!

Joystiq is reporting the games will ship on flash based memory cards, which easily solves the memory issue and the leaves a chunk of space free for a big battery pack

If they could launch at $299 I think they'd take on the 3DS neck and neck.

More than $350 and there goes the mom buying one for the kids.

f they could match the 3DS price, that would be very very interesting indeed.

I'm hoping for $299. That would place it in the high end iPod Touch category.

So, I downloaded the First Strike pack for black ops. Haven't tried out the new zombie map but the 4 multi-player maps are where pretty good. Berlin wall and Stadium are great; Discovery is fun although it feels a lot like a bigger, more psychedelically colored version of Summit. Kowloon should be fun but it's way to hard to figure out where the heck you are when you spawn and just about every death comes completely out of nowhere.

They really should have put in some weapons and perks; I know this is something they've not done before in a CoD game but I still feel like there's not nearly enough diversity in terms of creatable classes.

:edit:

BTW, how can they have over 200,000 people online and yet it still takes forever to find an available room? <_<

Edited by anime52k8

I never got a PSP but really liking the looks of NGP. If it's more than $299 I'll pass though and pick up a lightly used and/or discounted PSP-3000 until NGP gets cheaper.

Is this song by May'n on the VC3 trailer? Sounds like her.

Yup, sounds a lot like her.

Speaking of VC3, is there ever going to be a VC2 for the PS3? I loved the first VC for its innovative play mechanics, and I've been waiting for a sequel ever since. But if VC3 is already out and it's on PSP, chances are pretty slim of a western release of VC2. A man can dream, though.

Yup, sounds a lot like her.

Speaking of VC3, is there ever going to be a VC2 for the PS3? I loved the first VC for its innovative play mechanics, and I've been waiting for a sequel ever since. But if VC3 is already out and it's on PSP, chances are pretty slim of a western release of VC2. A man can dream, though.

PSP only.

Anyone giong to take advantage of this weekend's double experience points bonus for Black Ops.? I don't know if this applies to MW2 or not, though.

I'm arlredy in 2nd. Prestiege ranks working on my third (I don't have that much of a life, but I certainly not not have one).

One thing tough, they need to add a Hardcore section for the First Strike list of maps, for those of us who want to go hardcore on those maps only.

Edited by Wanzerfan

3, don't forget Triangle Frontier.

Triangle Frontier? I'd been checking to see if there'd been or if there's going to be a sequel Gundam Assault Survive (more Unicorn and Victory, please), and you're telling me I somehow missed a new Macross Frontier game?!

3, don't forget Triangle Frontier.

Oh yeah. That ALONE is reason enough for me to save up for a PSP!

Come to think of it, make that four games. If I ever buy a PSP, I might as well pick up the Black Rock Shooter game for the exclusive WRS fig that come with the game.

Triangle Frontier? I'd been checking to see if there'd been or if there's going to be a sequel Gundam Assault Survive (more Unicorn and Victory, please), and you're telling me I somehow missed a new Macross Frontier game?!

Don't feel bad, it just came out Thursday. Hell, my copy hasn't even arrived yet. I'd love to see a more complete Assault Survive sequal too though. It needs to have Destiny units, Wing units, a full Victory campaign, and dare I hope for a Turn-A campaign. They also need to put the freakin' Casval Gundam back in, I have no idea why they'd remove such an awesome MS that's been there since the second game. I'm not sure how they'd pull off the Unicorn properly. I hate how the full mode is limited to under 60 seconds in the Vs games, but i suppose they'd make it an SP based transformation, like the F-91. Or with my luck, an extremely long reloading alt attack, like with the 00 transam attacks.

The Gundam games have always progressed incrementally. I'd love to see one incorporate all of Gundam, but really I'll settle for them adding a few more AU suits to Extra and giving us a campaign for Victory.

As for MTF, I'll be ordering my copy this week, but I couldn't wait to play it, so I grabbed an ISO. As far as the interface goes, I'm not noticing a ton of difference between this and Ultimate. The only real difference I'm noticing is that they've added campaigns for Macross II and the Macross F movie. Since it's new I decided to start with Macross II, and the only unit I've acquired that wasn't in MUF is the Metal Siren. I haven't seen any indication that the Icarus is in the game. Bummer.