Yamato's unassembled Valkyries

Jasonc

Dyeing a toy: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-ho...dye-figure.html (I really wish TFW2005 would stop re-arranging their customizing section every 6 months---it always screws up the links and I have to manually go all through the boards to find them again)

Now, vinyl dye is different. Often used for modding PC parts. http://www.modthebox.com/vinyldye.shtml

• 4 months later...

Bump for any results. I just ordered 2 from HLJ given their clearance pricing. Need something to put on my Thunder Hummer... on twin VF-1S wingmen. I'll probably leave one bare, but want to do a low-viz scheme on another.

Have you asked Yamato if this was successful or anything Yamato plans on doing again, Graham? Would love to get another one with the J head and the new crotch system.

My main gripe is the gluing. I've searched everywhere out here and just can't find anything that works with ABS or POM plastic as a "plastic weld" type of glue. So I'm going to be using superglue. Given how well that worked on my SV-51 to repair it, I figure this will be OK. Ruskii, if you can find anywhere local that stocks glue that will work, let me know!

The minor gripe right now is painting. I have this sinking feeling all my efforts to paint it are going to be smashed the first time I transform it. There's just so much of this thing that's designed to rub or grip and I seriously doubt paint is going to hold up well.

Too bad they don't sell this in grey... :p

My main gripe is the gluing. I've searched everywhere out here and just can't find anything that works with ABS or POM plastic as a "plastic weld" type of glue. So I'm going to be using superglue. Given how well that worked on my SV-51 to repair it, I figure this will be OK. Ruskii, if you can find anywhere local that stocks glue that will work, let me know!

The minor gripe right now is painting. I have this sinking feeling all my efforts to paint it are going to be smashed the first time I transform it. There's just so much of this thing that's designed to rub or grip and I seriously doubt paint is going to hold up well.

Too bad they don't sell this in grey... :p

Super glue is the only way to do, regular super glue won't work coz it will will fog up the plastic. You should find something that work for resin in hobby shop.

As for painting, I won't suggest that unless you are making stripes. The toy will basically scratch in many places since the V2 is very tight in joints and seams...

What about dyeing the plastic? Anyone tried this yet?

I thought about trying this on one of the unassembled, but I'm gonna tackle that when I actually open the package. I've restocked on all the supplies I have, so once I'm done with the 1/60 Thunder Hammer, I'll be working on a 1/60 Minmay Guard, or I'll try to customize it into the Platypus, in which has that dessert tan color. There's also Fusion Paint, that supposedly welds, maybe even partially dyes the plastic. Either way, I will be looking into dyeing plastics, and see what the positives and negatives are, if any.

yeah, not a fan of Krylon either. For a paint that's supposed to be a lacquer (and will screw up underlying paint like a lacquer) it's durability is pitiful. I prefer Rust-Oleum, their enamels are more durable than krylon's junk.

That said I cannot overstate the importance of proper prep work; any paint that says "no prep required" is lying to you. The best way to get paint to stick I find is to wet sand all the surfaces to be painted with 400-800 grit sandpaper, then washing the parts with warm water and Dawn dish soap.

Now that I got my hands on TV Roy, I'm waiting for my unassembled kits to arrive and plotting this out. Still going to paint them... thinking the most dangerous spots (inside and outside of the arms, inboard sides of the legs, etc) will stay white like the TV valks the the bottom of the arms could still take ghost grey without a whole lot of risk IMO. Might try a really light coat of ghost gray and treat any resulting transformation damage as "weathering." Otherwise, in fighter it'll be light ghost gray on the nose and rest of the bottom, gunship gray on the top, and a metallic on the edges and accents.

Anyone painted/tinted the clear visor and/or canopy? I'm thinking of trying out a "have glass" style look

• 4 weeks later...