What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls

This is a great show. I like the visuals. Looks like its drawn on paper scroll.

I like what i've seen of it, though i'll probably just end up waiting for the DVD/Blu-ray version. Uncensored, of course.

I like what i've seen of it, though i'll probably just end up waiting for the DVD/Blu-ray version. Uncensored, of course.

is it censored??? I thought it was just artistic license.

Hmmm Might be the first BR Anime I buy.

Hentai WHOOOHOOO

Watched the first three epsisodes of Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai .

Really enjoyed it. Otaku centric show about a protagonist who gets introduced to the world of anime fandom through his little sister with otaku-like tendencies.

Hilarious was the real life meet up in episode 2 with the mahou shoujo and bishonen fan trading insults.

WHEN THE HELL IS THE HELLSING ULTIMATE OVA VIII COMING OUT?????!

Well the latest on Hellsing Ultimate would be this. :p

Hopefully now we've heard something after Madhouse ignoring the project for quite a while, an announcement regarding the next episode should soon follow.

Watched the first three epsisodes of Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai .

Really enjoyed it. Otaku centric show about a protagonist who gets introduced to the world of anime fandom through his little sister with otaku-like tendencies.

Hilarious was the real life meet up in episode 2 with the mahou shoujo and bishonen fan trading insults.

Saori Bagina moment was epic. :lol:

Edited by wolfx

Well the latest on Hellsing Ultimate would be this. :p

Hopefully now we've heard something after Madhouse ignoring the project for quite a while, an announcement regarding the next episode should soon follow.

New animation studio? So that's why they're taking so long. I just hope that doesn't affect the quality of this amazing OVAS.

Just finished my third viewing of Frontier and started at Keith's suggestion Gurren Lagann...saw a couple of episodes...lots of mecha + ecchi in the first 2 episodes...pretty fun if not for the change of pace in my recent anime viewing.

I just finished watching Casshern Sins and Bakemonogatari. I must say that both are pretty good. The animation in both is just stunning too. I like the story in both as well...especially the character development between Hitagi and Koyomi in Bakemonogatari. However, with Casshern I have a minor issue. I thought the first half of the episodes were great...and then about half way it just started to disappoint - a lot was left unexplained in the end. Although I'm sure the writers wanted to leave something for the audience to interpret/figure out for themselves...I think they could have done a better job towards the end. All in all though, the story in Casshern is decent, if not good, in my opinion. I especially loved the music in both...more so in Bakemonogatari. Though, there's one musical piece, played often in Casshern Sins, that I cannot get enough of - "Memory Past" by Kaoru Wada.

I just finished watching Casshern Sins and Bakemonogatari. I must say that both are pretty good. The animation in both is just stunning too. I like the story in both as well...especially the character development between Hitagi and Koyomi in Bakemonogatari. However, with Casshern I have a minor issue. I thought the first half of the episodes were great...and then about half way it just started to disappoint - a lot was left unexplained in the end. Although I'm sure the writers wanted to leave something for the audience to interpret/figure out for themselves...I think they could have done a better job towards the end. All in all though, the story in Casshern is decent, if not good, in my opinion. I especially loved the music in both...more so in Bakemonogatari. Though, there's one musical piece, played often in Casshern Sins, that I cannot get enough of - "Memory Past" by Kaoru Wada.

In no way related but if you liked the animation in bakemonogatari and casshern sins, i'd recommend you Katanagatari. Light hearted and lots of character development. ;)

In other news, i started Soredemo Machi Wa Mawatteiru .... pure slapstick fun by SHAFT if you're into those kinda stuff. Don't think its by Shinbo since the "SHAFT"-ness seems rather toned down.

In no way related but if you liked the animation in bakemonogatari and casshern sins, i'd recommend you Katanagatari. Light hearted and lots of character development. ;)

In other news, i started Soredemo Machi Wa Mawatteiru .... pure slapstick fun by SHAFT if you're into those kinda stuff. Don't think its by Shinbo since the "SHAFT"-ness seems rather toned down.

I'll give it a go! Thanks for the recommendation. Any others that you'd recommend by chance? I love heartfelt, slice of life, real robot, mecha, medieval, martial arts, cyber punk, fantasy, gritty and dark, character development, "message pictures"...just about like it all ^_^

I commented similarly when watching a few months ago, but the last half of Casshern really feels like it was done by a completely different group of writers, who didn't understand where the first group was going.

I commented similarly when watching a few months ago, but the last half of Casshern really feels like it was done by a completely different group of writers, who didn't understand where the first group was going.

I was somewhat getting the same impression. I wonder....

I was somewhat getting the same impression. I wonder....

It looked to me that they were going to have the little girl turn out to be the rebirth of Luna, hence the need for her original cell deally (which was completely dropped after!).

It looked to me that they were going to have the little girl turn out to be the rebirth of Luna, hence the need for her original cell deally (which was completely dropped after!).

Now that you mention it, I was thinking along the exact same lines - especially in the episode where we see Casshern meet with Braiking for the first time in the show. I think it was that episode where we're lead to believe Ringo isn't your typical robot. The original cell thing that you mention, was that when the siblings of Luna gift Ringo that multicolored thing? Even though the show is relatively fresh in memory...I'm having a hard time remembering in which episode they talk about that.

Now that you mention it, I was thinking along the exact same lines - especially in the episode where we see Casshern meet with Braiking for the first time in the show. I think it was that episode where we're lead to believe Ringo isn't your typical robot. The original cell thing that you mention, was that when the siblings of Luna gift Ringo that multicolored thing? Even though the show is relatively fresh in memory...I'm having a hard time remembering in which episode they talk about that.

Yup, it was the episode with the multi-colored thingy. Basically, the whole Luna turning out to be a homocidal robot killing maniac just didn't seem to fit everything that lead up to it. The explanation for the ruin...also a bit random.

Yup, it was the episode with the multi-colored thingy. Basically, the whole Luna turning out to be a homocidal robot killing maniac just didn't seem to fit everything that lead up to it. The explanation for the ruin...also a bit random.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more there too. I think you're on to something here, Keith. The more I think about it, it does seem like it's the only logical explanation for the deviations.

Just finished watching Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 as well as Ga-Rei: Zero. The movies are absolutely brilliant. I left some more remarks in the Evangelion 2.22 thread if anyone cares to read 'em. Ga-Rei: Zero on the other hand wasn't all that great of a watch in my opinion...mediocre at best. Next on the list....

Edit:

if you enjoyed Casshern Sins, then Heartcatch Precure is a must. Even if you're not a fan of the genre, just check out the first few episodes to see the oh so obvious awesome connection the two shows share.

I'll be sure to give it a look over.

Edited by Oihan

Yeah, I was really let down by where the series went. It had so much promise.

Yeah, I was really let down by where the series went. It had so much promise.

Big O II is still the reigning king of letdowns though, and proof that american companies should keep their noses out of anime production.

Big O II is still the reigning king of letdowns though, and proof that american companies should keep their noses out of anime production.

Eh... really? I think that might be pushing it a bit, as I rather enjoyed The Big O II.

Right now, I'm feeling kind of burned out on mecha shows. I'd only just finished re-watching Genesis Climber MOSPEADA when the first batch of decent-quality subs for Macross Frontier: the False Songstress came out, and after going through that five or six times at the behest of various people I'm kind of in the mood for a change. For now, I'm setting off in search of some lighthearted comedy.

Kinda struck out with Fate/stay night - Unlimited Blade Works... anyone who wants to complain about the way they handled the pacing of the story in Macross Frontier: the False Songstress really ought to give the Unlimited Blade Works movie a try so they can see what it's like when you REALLY screw up a compilation movie. Unlimited Blade Works is a compilation movie so poorly put together that any viewer who hasn't played the game and/or seen the anime series has pretty much zero chance of understand what's going on. The story flows as smoothly and naturally as a river of bricks. Its unnerving habit of leaping from one major event to the next with no intermediate context leaves the whole affair feeling like you're watching a YouTube collection of video game cutscenes than a coherent movie. The shifts between scenes occur with an almost audible "clunk", and compressing seven days of events into two hours has the sun rising and setting so often in the void between scenes that you'd swear the days are at most fifteen minutes long. Great animation and action sequences, but about the only way to understand the film is to already know what's supposed to be going on.

Right now, I'm finishing up a comedy called Seitokai Yakuindomo.

Right now, I'm feeling kind of burned out on mecha shows. I'd only just finished re-watching Genesis Climber MOSPEADA when the first batch of decent-quality subs for Macross Frontier: the False Songstress came out, and after going through that five or six times at the behest of various people I'm kind of in the mood for a change. For now, I'm setting off in search of some lighthearted comedy.

I always had you pegged as the "king of the mecha". Goes to show that too much of anything now matter how much you like it, can literally be "too much"...

Tried to watch the first episode of Strike Witches today, couldn't get past the first ten minutes (cat in the tree scene was the end for me). I never felt so dirty watching Anime before - and I'm a "Pop Chaser" fan too.

[edit] - I also watched, and generally liked "Elfen Lied". I think the difference for me was that here the fan service was trying to be cute and it just came out perverted, where in Elfen Lied the subject matter and tone of the series lent itself to a more mature rating.

Edited by Dynaman

I always had you pegged as the "king of the mecha". Goes to show that too much of anything now matter how much you like it, can literally be "too much"...

I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or not... :p

But yeah, it's like they say... "variety is the spice of life". It's not the first time I've overdosed on mecha shows either... back around January a few friends and I tried to marathon through the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise's Universal Century timeline. 'round about the time we got to Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, we were ready to quit because of the recurring themes of grimdark and whiny teenage boys. This time it was just being overcome by stock cliches common to almost every mecha show... Seitokai Yakuindomo (lit. "Student Council Staff Members") turned out to be just what the doctor ordered. It's kind of lewd, as comedies go, but it doesn't do it to excess and it's mainly a play on how hormonal high school kids generally have filthy minds than anything else.

I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or not... tongue.gif

But yeah, it's like they say... "variety is the spice of life". It's not the first time I've overdosed on mecha shows either... back around January a few friends and I tried to marathon through the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise's Universal Century timeline. 'round about the time we got to Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, we were ready to quit because of the recurring themes of grimdark and whiny teenage boys. This time it was just being overcome by stock cliches common to almost every mecha show... Seitokai Yakuindomo (lit. "Student Council Staff Members") turned out to be just what the doctor ordered. It's kind of lewd, as comedies go, but it doesn't do it to excess and it's mainly a play on how hormonal high school kids generally have filthy minds than anything else.

Have you seen School Rumble? If not, then that should be your next series.