The Amazing Spider-Man, on Blu-Ray/DVD Nov. 9, 2012

areaseven

Marc Webb at least knows stories. And has made one good movie. That's 2 up on Sam Raimi.

For shame, after all the wonderous things Sam Raimi has brought the world, to bad mouth him so. To list a few:

-Evil Dead 2

-Army of Darkness

-Darkman

-Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

You do all realize that this Marc Webb guy is primarily a music video director and we all know that NOTHING good ever comes of letting a music video director direct a genre movie.

Graham

Well to be fair the suckage of the third Alien movie was due largely to the producers and Fox. Besides, David Fincher went on to make some great movies after that. Spider-Webb could do a decent job with it.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic though. Spider-man 3 was so awful, I'd be shocked if the next one could actually be any worse...

After saying that, it's now going to be Batman & Robin bad, isn't it? :unsure:

For shame, after all the wonderous things Sam Raimi has brought the world, to bad mouth him so. To list a few:

-Evil Dead 2

-Army of Darkness

-Darkman

-Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

I love the Evil Dead Movies but for the low budget type factor. It's like when they brought John Woo over, all the sudden you realize how bad of a filmmaker he really was.

It's fate. :D "Webb to direct Spidey" has a nice ring to it.

Gordon-Levitt is too gangly to be Pete for me, and I can't imagine Zoeey as a blond. hehe. but Jessica Biel... yumm. Although, if spidey4 will be set in highschool, then they'd probably be too old already. let's face it, it'll probably be someone from the High School Musical generation (hmm... now let me take a look at those Glee kids again...)

let the casting games begin!! while this'll be a reboot, is there any chance they would retain Simmons as J.Jonah Jameson?? Please? :)

zooey.jpg

lol. Everything on the Internet gets taken so literally. I was just kidding about the casting choice because the guy has only done one movie. But there's a pic of zooey as a blonde.

zooey.jpg

lol. Everything on the Internet gets taken so literally. I was just kidding about the casting choice because the guy has only done one movie. But there's a pic of zooey as a blonde.

That's from Elf, right? Hmmm, seeing that pic, i'm even more convinced zoeey as a blond doesn't work. for me, she's a million times hotter as she is right now. :)

You may be kidding about the cast, but most of the web wasn't. The very first article i read about Webb directing included the caption, "could Gordon-Levitt be far behind?" :p

I am really sick of the epic superhero movies. The fact that this series is getting a reboot is just crazy. I didn't think batman needed one either for that matter. The following picture illustrates why:

whysoseriousjacknichols.jpg

You're being sarcastic, right? Are you forgetting George Clooney? That "Batman route" killed the superhero franchise and left it dead for years. if there's any route to avoid, it's that one. :huh:

Clooney and the revolving cast was only a symptom, not the disease. The real problem was letting Joel Schumacher anywhere near the franchise.

No guys, the problem is, superhero movies get old. We have had a ton of em in the last 10 years and they are all the same. Lets either make the format different of stop doing them.

My latest idea is the next spiderman movie should be done in claymation.

As long as her nipples look good "wet" in a rain scene I'll be fine with that casting...

hehe. for me, no amount of nipples is gonna change the fact that she's too short to play MJ. Maybe it's just my bias, because i've never considered her physically attractive, so I just can't see her as MJ. :p

I am really sick of the epic superhero movies. The fact that this series is getting a reboot is just crazy. I didn't think batman needed one either for that matter. The following picture illustrates why:

whysoseriousjacknichols.jpg

That is fracking great! Nicholson looks like he wants to kick that punk's ass.

Clooney and the revolving cast was only a symptom, not the disease. The real problem was letting Joel Schumacher anywhere near the franchise.

God, talking about the old Batman films is, in a way, totally out of date, but scarily enough it is totally relevant to talking about the Spiderman franchise at the moment.

You could spend thousands of words dissecting what was wrong with the Batman films of the 80's and 90's, and a lot of the arguments about where they went wrong are very strong ones, but at the end of the day one fact cannot be denied. The franchise needed a break.

Hollywood studio's should be reported to animal cruelty authorities in regards to how they treat their cash cows. They flog them to incessantly and are then surprised when they die. The Spiderman franchise is going down this path. We don't need another Spiderman film in the next two or three years, its simply been done and the franchise should be left alone for the better part of ten years. I'm not saying that Spiderman is finished as a film franchise, its just run its course for now.

Getting back to Batman, it was a classic example of how a franchise can be brought back after a prolonged break and still be successful.

Mind you, it does not always work. The Superman franchise being a good example. Personally, however, I think that the theatregoing audiences would have been fine with Superman back in the cinemas as long as there had been a decent cast and coherent script, which Superman Returns lacked badly.

Taksraven

^^Excellent points.

Hollywood has a tendency to beat their cash cows into dead horses.

I think the problem specifically with Superman Returns was that Bryan Singer was so hell-bent on making an homage and sequel to the 80's Superman films that it didn't really resonate with the current movie-going audiences.

I mean did you ever consider Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor to be a worthy adversary to Superman? He seemed more like a minor nuisance than anything else (not the master manipulator who could use the law, his wits, and Superman's own sense of justice to outsmart ol' Supes).

Well that, and Kate Bosworth's Lois Lane was more bland than stale crackers. :lol:

Well that, and Kate Bosworth's Lois Lane was more bland than stale crackers. :lol:

Exactly right. She went through that film like she was sleepwalking. Sure, she is much prettier than Margot Kidder, but at least Kidder could act and was entertaining. That's the problem with a lot of younger actors coming through these days, they look nice but they have no bloody charisma!! And charisma counts for a lot more than Hollywood execs realise...

Taksraven

^^Excellent points.

Hollywood has a tendency to beat their cash cows into dead horses.

I think the problem specifically with Superman Returns was that Bryan Singer was so hell-bent on making an homage and sequel to the 80's Superman films that it didn't really resonate with the current movie-going audiences.

I mean did you ever consider Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor to be a worthy adversary to Superman? He seemed more like a minor nuisance than anything else (not the master manipulator who could use the law, his wits, and Superman's own sense of justice to outsmart ol' Supes).

Hell, Hackman made a better Luthor. Why they had Ned Beatty in the Reeve movies I would never know. Oh, I remember now: comedy relief!!!

Hackman's Luthor was good for its time.

But my money's on Clancy Brown's version (from the DC Animated Universe) as THE signature Lex Luthor.

Getting back to Spider-Man 4 (Spider 4ever!! :p ), I think a thrown-down with the Lizard would have been the most logical move.

Getting back to Spider-Man 4 (Spider 4ever!! :p ), I think a thrown-down with the Lizard would have been the most logical move.

This is the other problem a lot of Super-hero films run into. Don't forget, its just as important to have an iconic villain as well as a hero. As a result of this, most super-hero films use up all of their iconic villains in the first two or three films, leaving enemies behind that are mainly familiar to fan-boys with the general public has never having heard of them before. I know that the fan-boys are an important part of the audience, but people who don't read comics on a regular basis are a truly critical part of the audience. The second of Burton's Batman films was a shocking waste, squandering two well-known villians in one film.

Taksraven

Hackman's Luthor was good for its time.

But my money's on Clancy Brown's version (from the DC Animated Universe) as THE signature Lex Luthor.

Well it would made sense.. because if I remember correctly, there's a scene in Spiderman 3 where peter is talking to his professor on the phone, and you can see lizards in the background and during one of those shots, you see a closeup of them. When I saw that scene I thought it was hinting at his professor becoming the lizard in the next installment.

Edited by HappyPenguins

Well it would made sense.. because if I remember correctly, there's a scene in Spiderman 3 where peter is talking to his professor on the phone, and you can see lizards in the background and during one of those shots, you see a closeup of them. When I saw that scene I thought it was hinting at his professor becoming the lizard in the next installment.

Well, it could still be the Lizard for the Spidey reboot. After all, it's set in high school, and Connors can be the science professor...

This is the other problem a lot of Super-hero films run into. Don't forget, its just as important to have an iconic villain as well as a hero. As a result of this, most super-hero films use up all of their iconic villains in the first two or three films, leaving enemies behind that are mainly familiar to fan-boys with the general public has never having heard of them before. I know that the fan-boys are an important part of the audience, but people who don't read comics on a regular basis are a truly critical part of the audience. The second of Burton's Batman films was a shocking waste, squandering two well-known villians in one film.

Taksraven

I never understood why most film franchises feel you have have to kill off the villains after each movie.

You mean to tell me audiences wouldn't be up to see Nolan's Batman and Joker square off for Round 2? At least with the latest Batman films, only Two-Face has been killed off; leaves the potential for any of the old bad guys cropping up in future films.

Raimi's Spider-Man series did a good job of this with Harry Osborn (one of the few bright spots of the third movie).

Of course Harry's butler waiting umpteen years to reveal the truth to Harry kinda screws that up just a bit.

I never understood why most film franchises feel you have have to kill off the villains after each movie.

You mean to tell me audiences wouldn't be up to see Nolan's Batman and Joker square off for Round 2? At least with the latest Batman films, only Two-Face has been killed off; leaves the potential for any of the old bad guys cropping up in future films.

Raimi's Spider-Man series did a good job of this with Harry Osborn (one of the few bright spots of the third movie).

Of course Harry's butler waiting umpteen years to reveal the truth to Harry kinda screws that up just a bit.

Who says Nolan had no plans for Batman vs. Joker round 2? We're all for it. I'm guessing Nolan is all for it too, considering he kept joker alive, and set Batman and Joker ready to "be doing this forever". Unfortunately, the death of Heath Ledger put a bit of a damper on those plans. Who would dare step into Joker's shoes this early, after the genius performance he did? It tookn more than 20 years before anyone had the balls to suceed Nicholson -- and Ledger's Joker was a hundred times better.

In any case, you're right. they shouldn't just kill of major villains. Green Goblin, I can understand, since you could say it was a homage to his death in the comics. But what a waste for Nicholson's Joker, Penguin, Doc Ock and Venom.

(Although I have no regrets of them killing off Tommy Lee Jones's Two-Face. Man, that character sucked.)

Who says Nolan had no plans for Batman vs. Joker round 2? We're all for it. I'm guessing Nolan is all for it too, considering he kept joker alive, and set Batman and Joker ready to "be doing this forever". Unfortunately, the death of Heath Ledger put a bit of a damper on those plans. Who would dare step into Joker's shoes this early, after the genius performance he did? It tookn more than 20 years before anyone had the balls to suceed Nicholson -- and Ledger's Joker was a hundred times better.

In any case, you're right. they shouldn't just kill of major villains. Green Goblin, I can understand, since you could say it was a homage to his death in the comics. But what a waste for Nicholson's Joker, Penguin, Doc Ock and Venom.

(Although I have no regrets of them killing off Tommy Lee Jones's Two-Face. Man, that character sucked.)

My only problem with the Leger Joker is that he didn't use any poison. Everyone knows ol' Jack Napier is a master venomeer.