Bayonetta

Oihan

Is there anyone else playing Bayonetta? It has received great reviews! The prologue was a bit over the top...haha. Hell, this game can be ridiculous at times with some of it's over the top action. It's a pretty fast paced game too. I've been playing the game on normal and it's quite the challenge as it is...although very rewarding! I'm not sure how many hours I've already put into this game but I've just recently reached Chapter X. I've mainly been using the Durga as my primary weapon with the Odette on the feet. I also finally have enough 100,000 halos saved up to buy an accessory...I just can't seem to figure out which one to get. Are there certain accessories I should be looking at? What weapon sets do you all use? What are your thoughts/opinions on this game?

I'm on the fence about it. It's so much like Devil May Cry, but without Dante and his bad assery that I'm not sure I'll play it. Been playing Darksiders instead.

Dante sucks. I'd rather play a game with a hot chick in a cat suit and glasses any day.

I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet but I played the demo and loved it. I normally don't like this style of game, but I really find this one fun.

I picked it up. The game is VERY Devil May Cry, which isn't a bad thing since I really enjoyed that series. It's a little chaotic, though... the camera angles make it difficult to follow, and even though the reviewers have talked about how deep the combat can be, I can't shake the feeling that I'm just button mashing.

I guess, to summarize, I like it, but not as much as I liked DMC4. But I'm still just getting into it. I got the Mega Man: Official Complete Works artbook in the mail the other day, which gave me an urge to play Mega Man. I got sort of side tracked replaying the old Gameboy Mega Man games...

Darksiders is really great in my humble opinion. Through some retail connections I got to play it a bit earlier than Tuesday and it's a lot of fun. The more time I spend with it the more it reminds me of Zelda with bigger swords and lots more blood.

I grabbed Darksiders instead and that game has better reviews.

Well, according to Metacritic, Bayonetta has been getting better reviews over all than Darksiders on the Xbox 360. I know there's some frame rate issues and loading time problems on the PS3 version...which is why it has a lower overall rating than the 360 version.

mikeszekely, I find it interesting that you think DMC is better. I have two friends who love DMC and feel that Bayonetta is a much better game. I think once you get further into the game your opinion might change. :p As it's always said though, to each their own. As for the combat having more depth, I think the reason why people have been saying that is because of all the weapon combinations available to the user along with all of the attack combos.

I managed to reach Chapter 15 and I've saved up 200,000 halos to get the accessory that I wanted: Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa. I'm getting close again to buy another though...so I'm still uncertain of which one to get next. Anyway....

As for Darksiders, I was debating between it and Bayonetta and I feel I made the right choice. Looking at the video reviews for both games...Bayonetta simply won me over.

I grabbed Darksiders instead and that game has better reviews.

Not to sound critical of Darksiders, as I have a feeling that I'll be picking that up next, but no. Looking at GameRankings, as of Wednesday night, the averages are:

Bayonetta (360) 91.67

Darksiders (360) 86.35

Bayonetta (PS3) 87.92

Darksiders (PS3) 87.52

On Metacritic, also Wednesday night:

Bayonetta (360) 93

Darksiders (360) 85

Bayonetta (PS3) 89

Darksiders (PS3) 86

On either console, Bayonetta's ahead, even if barely on the PS3. It seems that Bayonetta would enjoy a bigger lead, except that it sounds like the PS3 version had some pretty serious technical issues. (On the flipside, it looks like the PS3 version of Darksiders is the one to get.)

I find it interesting that you think DMC is better. I have two friends who love DMC and feel that Bayonetta is a much better game. I think once you get further into the game your opinion might change.

Oh, I'm really not ruling it out. Thing is, for me anyway, I remember enjoying DMC, skipped DMC2, enjoyed DMC3, but absolutely loved DMC4. I don't know if it was just because there wasn't a lot else to play at the time, or if it was better than I expected, and it's all just fond memories, but I really thought that DMC4 was the best of the series. As for Bayonetta, I'm really not that far into it. I just earned the ability to buy Onyx Roses from the Gates of Hell, but I'm lacking the halos. Like I said, I still feel like I'm mostly button mashing at this point, but after I get a few weapons and skills, I might feel differently.

To me DMC is the grand daddy of that genre, or at least that style of combat in a game. Everything that plays that way, from GOW to Bayonetta is kinda riding on what it laid down, for better or worse.

I may eventually pick up Bayonetta, I mean it's made by the same guy who brought us the first DMC. Now is definitely the time to play it though with ME2 dropping in a few weeks :p

Oh, I'm really not ruling it out. Thing is, for me anyway, I remember enjoying DMC, skipped DMC2, enjoyed DMC3, but absolutely loved DMC4. I don't know if it was just because there wasn't a lot else to play at the time, or if it was better than I expected, and it's all just fond memories, but I really thought that DMC4 was the best of the series. As for Bayonetta, I'm really not that far into it. I just earned the ability to buy Onyx Roses from the Gates of Hell, but I'm lacking the halos. Like I said, I still feel like I'm mostly button mashing at this point, but after I get a few weapons and skills, I might feel differently.

I see. Well as for the Onyx Roses, it took me till about chapter II or III to realize this but you don't need to purchase them. Once Rodin makes the weapons you have them in your inventory. The weapons you see in at Gates of Hell are replicas as far as I know. As for buying techniques, if you haven't already bought any, I'd suggest picking up "Air Dodge" and (when available) "Bat Within." I can definitely see why you feel like you're just button mashing though. I'm not terribly good at timing the combos just right (for instance YYBB*B where the * is a small pause)...so I'm constantly hitting the Y button and every now and then the B button depending on how I want to finish off a series of moves. Another thing...I've noticed that whenever you're about to get hit you'll see a rose appear on your character...with the accessory I bought I'm still having a hard time trying to parry at the right moments. There's just so much going on the screen and it's happening quite fast that I rarely see the rose. I have become quite good at dodging though...

Moreoever, I just beat the game about an hour ago. I thought it was a great experience overall. I'm about to play a second time through...I'm that impressed with it. According to it I beat the game in 6 hours. I have a hard time believing that though, for I've practically been playing it for two days straight - I'm on vacation right now. I know it took me about 10 hours the other day just to get to chapter IX. I wonder how it calculates that.... Anyway, I still can't seem to decide on which accessory to buy next...it takes a while to accumulate 100,000 halos. But yeah....

Edit: I just saved again and noticed that I've spent 16 hours on this game. I'm a little confused as to why the "Play History" says 6 hours though. Unless the one in front of the six is not displaying properly.... Anyway.... Also, I just learned that the "replica" weapons are there so that you can equip them both on the feet and hands at the same time...

Edited by Oihan

I'm on the fence about it. It's so much like Devil May Cry, but without Dante and his bad assery that I'm not sure I'll play it. Been playing Darksiders instead.
Not suprising, since it was created by the same guy who did Biohazard (I absolutely refuse to call that franchise "Resident Evil"; whoever came up that freaking name has his head planted squarely up his f*cking ass) and Devil May Cry.

Dante sucks. I'd rather play a game with a hot chick in a cat suit and glasses any day.

I haven't had a chance to pick it up yet but I played the demo and loved it. I normally don't like this style of game, but I really find this one fun.

You do know that cat suit is actually made out of the heroine's own hair and she is nude underneath, don't you? Edited by Wanzerfan

i played the demo and kinda like it but can't shake the feeling of button mashing too. Its a beautiful game btw and i dun mean it because of the protagonist. :p

I did notice that the US release version has censored it slightly when Bayonetta uses her hairpowers, she's left with a black strapped underwear thingy when there should be just a gold chain covering her unmentionables. :lol:

He's right, her hair is her clothes and some of her weapons as well, it's very odd.

I was more referring to that being hsi main focal point, as well as assuming someone who was already playing the game wouldn't have realized it.

Edited by Keith

Maybe I'm just getting old, but nothing I've read about the game makes me want to play it. Though, I've only played the first DMC for like 5 minutes...

If you ever played any Ninja Gaiden game for the XBox or PS and enjoyed it, you'll love Bayonetta. I've seen comparisons to God of War as well...so if GoW is up your ally this game will be too. I've already spent 36 hours on this game since it came out; it's one of the best games I've played. I've finally managed to buy just about everything I possibly can in the in-game store with plenty of halos left over. This game is pretty 'gnarly' as far as a challenge goes. It's just way too much fun!

Edit: If you have both a 360 and a PS3...and intend to get this game...get it for the 360. As previously mentioned, there's some issues on the PS3 version.

Edited by Oihan

If you ever played any Ninja Gaiden game for the XBox or PS and enjoyed it, you'll love Bayonetta. I've seen comparisons to God of War as well...so if GoW is up your ally this game will be too. I've already spent 36 hours on this game since it came out; it's one of the best games I've played. I've finally managed to buy just about everything I possibly can in the in-game store with plenty of halos left over. This game is pretty 'gnarly' as far as a challenge goes. It's just way too much fun!

Edit: If you have both a 360 and a PS3...and intend to get this game...get it for the 360. As previously mentioned, there's some issues on the PS3 version.

I don't feel its like God of war though. The one that feels like GoW would be Dante's Inferno.

Btw i must've missed it, but what issues with the PS3 version?

I don't feel its like God of war though. The one that feels like GoW would be Dante's Inferno.

I think God of War and Ninja Gaiden are qualified to be their own kind of games. Their styles' pretty distinct enough to warrant it.

Anyway, just got around to downloading and playing Bayonetta last night.

It is fun. It is everything that is Devil May Cry and better. I don't know if it's because that you're now a badass, overly sexy, woman, but the attacks feel much quicker and smoother to execute compared to DMC. Even though I still think it's a little silly, but her having guns on all four limbs really do give you a bit more flexibility with attacks, not to mention you can pick up enemy weapons. The 360 degree gunslinging attack is a nice touch and I'm really digging the evade button too.

The camera is not too bad, at least it's better than DMC's. The music is really pleasant to listen to as well.

Pretty bummed out that the PS3 version got the short end of the porting stick, but I might pick it up anyway at some point.

I see. Well as for the Onyx Roses, it took me till about chapter II or III to realize this but you don't need to purchase them. Once Rodin makes the weapons you have them in your inventory. The weapons you see in at Gates of Hell are replicas as far as I know.

Buying the alt production versions are so you can equip both to hands and feet. Durga on both is quite powerful.

Buying the alt production versions are so you can equip both to hands and feet. Durga on both is quite powerful.

Which one is Durga? I've got the katana for my hand weapon and the pistols on my feet, and I've been using that combo for about half the time I've been playing (I'm about to fight the fourth Cardinal Virtue, I think). I have the claws on my hands and the shotgun on my feet for the B combination, but I haven't found it to be as versatile a combination.

Which one is Durga? I've got the katana for my hand weapon and the pistols on my feet, and I've been using that combo for about half the time I've been playing (I'm about to fight the fourth Cardinal Virtue, I think). I have the claws on my hands and the shotgun on my feet for the B combination, but I haven't found it to be as versatile a combination.

The claws. I tend to use katana and then claws on the feet more though. Good combos with that mix, in fire mode.

But if you equip claws on both, and change electric to hands and fire on feet, the charge bombs in combos are strong too.

Bought Darksiders, then downloaded the demo for Bayonetta.

I'm enjoying the depth of game play in Darksiders, where Bayonetta feels like a button masher with an evade button and crazy hair monsters.

Not that I don't enjoy Bayonetta, I just see than as different types of games. One is an action Zelda, the other is a fast paced Devil May Cry. Both are great, I just prefer DS.

I did not see any of Bayonetta's "issues" on PS3. Then again, I'm not a professional gamer, and maybe my eye didn't pick up on it.

Both have quasi-religious overtones, but that's no biggie, there is some great lore to work with. My biggest gripe with Bayonetta is that the attacks seem very short ranged. I'm used to GoW, DMC, and now DS, where my attacks had some reach, but thats not a mark against her, just a style preference.

Bought Darksiders, then downloaded the demo for Bayonetta.

I'm enjoying the depth of game play in Darksiders, where Bayonetta feels like a button masher with an evade button and crazy hair monsters.

Not that I don't enjoy Bayonetta, I just see than as different types of games. One is an action Zelda, the other is a fast paced Devil May Cry. Both are great, I just prefer DS.

I did not see any of Bayonetta's "issues" on PS3. Then again, I'm not a professional gamer, and maybe my eye didn't pick up on it.

Both have quasi-religious overtones, but that's no biggie, there is some great lore to work with. My biggest gripe with Bayonetta is that the attacks seem very short ranged. I'm used to GoW, DMC, and now DS, where my attacks had some reach, but thats not a mark against her, just a style preference.

Actually, while you can button mash, Bayonetta is the least button mashing game of them all. The combat system is incredibly complex especially once you start to get other weapons. And there are longer ranged ones. Once you play it a couple chapters you really begin to notice the brilliance of it. And as much as I love GOW, the boss battles in Bayonetta so far put all the others to shame. Give it a shot...the demo doesn't even scratch the surface.