total noob question

pondo

So I have always thought about the macross toys and never considered the models.

Mostly because I hated putting models together when I was a kid. Too much glue and sloppiness to deal with. But at the same time, I just display the yamato valks. I transform them occasionally, but just to put back on the mantle.

are modern valk models able to transform ( a parts former is fine as long as they're solid)? Do they require glue? Do any come prepainted?

Should I abandon the toys for more line-art accurate models?

Is there an FAQ on this anywhere?

Depends which kit, but basically for anything made in the last couple of years:

If it's Hasegawa, it cannot transform at all, and requires glue and paint.

If it's Bandai (this mainly means only the VF-25) it can transform, doesn't need glue, and is molded in multiple colors and will look fine with little to no painting.

Depends which kit, but basically for anything made in the last couple of years:

If it's Hasegawa, it cannot transform at all, and requires glue and paint.

If it's Bandai (this mainly means only the VF-25) it can transform, doesn't need glue, and is molded in multiple colors and will look fine with little to no painting.

cool. I really dig the vf-25 but there isn't yet a toy that I think is worth the cash.

I'll have to check one out!!!!!

The Bandai models, particularly the variable ones like the VF-25, while they do possess some toy-like qualities, do not generally lend themselves well to the idea of being transformed back and forth between modes, and much, much less so if they are painted. At best, I would recommend nothing more intensive with a model than some careful re-posing.

Seconded. I don't know why but my VF-25G has some of the most fragile pivoting pieces I've ever seen. I've broken about 4 of them now by doing nothing more than positioning them in the correct way to get painted. This is before the model has even been assembled. Mine might be an extreme case but I'm certainly thinking they aren't designed to be durable. Still, the engineering in the new Macross Frontier kits is amazing!

The Bandai models, particularly the variable ones like the VF-25, while they do possess some toy-like qualities, do not generally lend themselves well to the idea of being transformed back and forth between modes, and much, much less so if they are painted. At best, I would recommend nothing more intensive with a model than some careful re-posing.

Thanks a lot. When push comes to shove, i really like things sitting in fighter mode anyway.

And the bandai 1/60 vf25s toys are all pretty high priced for what you get (imho)

I will totally check out a 1/72!

• 2 weeks later...
I'd have to second the model choice if you're looking for accuracy. If you need help builing it, there's tons of threads here to help and you can ask us too ;) - MT

Models are for men. Toys are for little boys who think they are men, but like to vroom vroom vroom their little toys around their apartment staging renactments of epic battles from a kid's TV show aired almost 30 years ago.

In tems of the VF-25 - the models are where it's at. I hated the DX when it came out, then kind of sort of fell a tad bit in love with it, but the battroid mode is just horrible. Strangley enough... the fighter mode is ok...relatively speaking...but the hips on the battroid mode are terrible because they don't fully transform.

The model actually has a more complex and full transformation than the chogokin...that thing doesn't deserve the name "chogokin" really...

As for the VF-1 and other valkyrie produced by Yamato - I think those are the best you can get of anything anywhere, and the only good reason for building Hasegawas is to take extreme pleasure out of one mode.

I'm looking to finally maybe dive into Hasegawa Macross models myself.

But for now - get a Bandai VF-25 or the new Lucifer VF-27 in 1:72 scale.

Oh - and be sure to grab some SMS stands too! No stands means your model will not be able to achieve its' full potential.

if you have zero modeling experience, however, then maybe you're better off starting with some HG Gundams to get a feel for snap fit.

But yeah - get into the models - they are great and well worth it!

Pete

Models are for men. Toys are for little boys who think they are men, but like to vroom vroom vroom their little toys around their apartment staging renactments of epic battles from a kid's TV show aired almost 30 years ago.

Who acts like a child?

Anyway, depending on the model I can't say it's more lineart accurate. I think Hasegawa has more of a real world feel to it but they add detail that is not lineart accurate on the VF-1s. As far as the VF-25s, I prefer the look of the 1/72 scale but then realized that the Messiah armor cannot be taken off so you can display it without. I think pricepoint is also part of the consideration. The detail on the Yamato products can compete with any model, unless screwholes and joints bother you.

Who acts like a child?

Anyway, depending on the model I can't say it's more lineart accurate. I think Hasegawa has more of a real world feel to it but they add detail that is not lineart accurate on the VF-1s. As far as the VF-25s, I prefer the look of the 1/72 scale but then realized that the Messiah armor cannot be taken off so you can display it without. I think pricepoint is also part of the consideration. The detail on the Yamato products can compete with any model, unless screwholes and joints bother you.

Model or toy hmm... I guess a model more satisfaction this is just personal opinion mind you. A model offers more possibilities than a toy on that argument the toy offers sometimes greater durability at the cost of some accuracy. Still you can paint assemble and customize you model to an exact way that is at least for me a bit more appealing.

I totally agree! On the most part. But I consider the Yamato VFs to be on par with models barring screw holes and maybe seam lines. But any good modeler can fix those issues. But ti answer OP, Hasegawa Vf-1s are not lineart accurate, they lean more towards real world detail. But the Frontier models are far more lineart accurate than the toys, so if thats what he's looking for then he should get those... also the Frontier models are transformable. If I was collecting Frontier VFs I would definitely get the models.

I'm way excited about Hase's 1/48 line though.

I'm way excited about Hase's 1/48 line though.

+1

I think it is best to keep it simple. What do you want it for?

If you're going to display it only - get a model.

If you want to transform / play with it - get a toy.

simple as that.

How much does a DX go for anyway? get three models of each VF to display in each mode, would it realy be that much more expensive than one DX? (keeping in mind how much better the models look?)

Same for the Hase. VF-1 kits (but you'd have to buy two fighter and two battriod kits + do some mods/scratch building if you wanted to have all three modes) vs. the Yammies.

I build models because I like to 'build' them, once I'm finished and they go on the shlef there is a great deal of satisfaction and (sometimes) pride, but then it's on to the next build - 'cus that's what juices me.

So, while I do share a little of LTSO sentiments for the 'TOY BOYS', really, it's up to you.

Whichever you choose is fine, just make sure the choice will serve you. If you want a toy to transform and play with then get a toy and screw what anyone else says.

Lastly I know that the Bandai's are 'transformable' and while it is technically true - it does (drastically sometimes) reduce the life of the model. So if you want to have it around for a while (and after all the work that goes into building a model most of us do) then I (like others) would warn against transforming it.

That's my two scents.

• 2 weeks later...

Model or toy...?

Well, when I received the Quarter, I opened the box, said 'Oh Cool!' and put it on its stand. Great to look at, as I don't play with them very often.

If ever.

Then I get a model, with all its little bits and instructions, and I get out the hobby knife and sand paper and sticks and airbrush and hunch over a modeling table for months at a time, laboriously fitting pieces and gluing, and possibly modifying as I go...

Basically, it falls to personal preference. I greatly enjoy putting models together, with that feeling of accomplishment, including the sticky fingers and sanding dust, and after it all being able to look at the shelf and say, 'I made that,' rather than, 'I bought that.'

It just feels like its more mine...

Thom

• 4 weeks later...
Basically, it falls to personal preference. I greatly enjoy putting models together, with that feeling of accomplishment, including the sticky fingers and sanding dust, and after it all being able to look at the shelf and say, 'I made that,' rather than, 'I bought that.'

It just feels like its more mine...

Thom

Totally agree!!