Ip Man Movie

ron5864

I just finished watching, Ip Man, a movie about Bruce Lee's master during the 1930's and during the Japanese occupation of Foshun, China. Overall, it is a really good movie with good story telling, acting, directing and of course fighting. The movie starts light hearted with humor for the first 30 minutes as it is about the young master Ip Man as a rather wealthy, but humble person with superior martial arts skills in the city of Foshun. He gets in trouble with his wife everytime he fights. But he kicks butts left and right without trying to show off and in the process, winning the respect of the people in town.

Things turn dark and serious once the Japanese occupation comes into the movie. It is here that the film really excels in developing the characters and the stories becomes more gripping. The supporting characters were great, especially the local policeman turned Japanese translator who must decide if he is betraying his Chinese people by what he is doing for the Japanese. This movie does touch some of the real events in Ip Man's life, but a lot of the story was made up for dramatic flare. So don't get caught up in the Japan vs. China thing, since I know it is a touchy subject for both sides. It is just a background setting for the movie. Either way, it is fun to watch Donnie Yen, who plays Ip Man, defeating opponents that would make Bruce Lee seem tame.

The movie has some Cantonese, Manderin and Japanese with english subtitles and can be found at the usual online video sites. (you know which ones...) It came out in Dec 2008 so it is still fresh. I don't think it was released in the US, maybe just in Asia.

Even if you are not into martial arts or kung fu films, the story of this film is inspiring and worth seeing. I highly recommend it. ^_^

On that note, it's really sad that his most famous student only outlived the master by about 1 year.... but it sounds like it's a good film. According to my friend it's at least chronologically accurate, as opposed to Fearless which took a lot of creative liberties with the history.

They actually took a lot of liberties with the history of the film too. One reason why Yip Man went to Hong Kong was to escape the suppression of the Communists. But of cos, China being such a huge market for Hong Kong films these days, this aspect of Yip Man's life was completely ignored.

And don't expect Bruce Lee to have much screen time in the sequel, as he will be played by a kid.

IP MAN was a great film! Finally Donnie Yen is getting recognized for his 20+ years of work in a film that really showcases his considerable talents. In fact the New York Times recently wrote about him http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/arts/20iht-donnie.html The not so great news is in 2013 Donnie has announced as an actor/director/choreographer/martial artist/international man of badassery Donnie Yen, now 46, he will retire from the cameras at the age of 50. So kiddies check out his formidable screenwork, the most recent notables being: Flashpoint and Kill Zone.

Production is already in progress for IP MAN 2 and a very young Bruce will appear, which is historically incorrect. http://www.kungfucinema.com/production-beg...-lee-cast-10008 However, expect to see more of an older Bruce Lee to appear in IP MAN 3. Yes Donnie fans this is going to be a kick ass trilogy. I have much higher hopes for Donnie's version of IP MAN than Tony Leung's upcoming version. I do not think it will be inaccurate to claim martial art fans will enjoy Donnie's version simply b/c Donnie actually possesses over 38 years of martial arts experience. Somehow I believe all of his physical training/experience as an action star and choreographer will make his version of IP MAN so much better.

Look for the IP MAN 2 in summer 2010! http://www.examiner.com/x-4211-LA-Asian-Am...al-arts-teacher

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I hope they don't portray Bruce Lee as a really young kid being trained by Sifu Ip Man, like Obi-wan and Aniken Skywalker in the Phantom Menace. <_<

Didn't Bruce Lee met his master in his late teens, before he went off to college in Washington State?

I hope they don't portray Bruce Lee as a really young kid being trained by Sifu Ip Man, like Obi-wan and Aniken Skywalker in the Phantom Menace. <_<

Didn't Bruce Lee met his master in his late teens, before he went off to college in Washington State?

Actually, Bruce started training with Ip Man when he was 14 or so. He moved back to America when he was 18. Bruce did come back to Hong Kong a couple of times and met with Ip Man, but they were less focused on training due to Bruce starting his own thing. Bruce always looked up to him, even when he started to move away from Wing Chun. The Star Wars style portrayal isn't as far off as you think, though it does still have problems. I too am a bit worried about how Bruce Lee will be in the sequels.

Another minor correction: Bruce moved back to the US so he could keep his citizenship (he was born here). When he got here, he went to Edison Technical School (IIRC) and then went to Washington State a few years later.

BTW, I liked the Ip Man movie as well.

I believe the sequel will focus more on Yip Man's another famous student Wong Shun Leung, who was a mentor to Bruce Lee. Also, I doubt the story will use the master apprentice formula. My guess is it will revolve around the feuds between Wing Chun and other forms of martial arts in Hong Kong. Sammo Hung is confirmed to play one of Yip Man's rivals.

Wong Sheung Long is going to be the focus? I didn't know that--actually, I know almost nothing about the sequel... :p Either way, I can't wait! ^_^

Indeed WSL was probably more influencial on Bruce as his Sihing than Ip Man. In fact, it is often said that the appearance of Bruce's early Wing Chun was very reminisciant of WSL's. I'm sure this portrayal of Lee will still be more accurate than Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story.

• 7 months later...

yep ive seen it , its excellent i almost shed a tear in the final fight scene so well done. Young bruce lee does appear as a child but Ip Man tells him to come back when he is older. Sammo Hung also does an amazing job the choreography is top notch and i dare say surpasses Ip Man 1.

I find it hard to believe that the Typhoon is so buff that he can take all of Ip Man's hits as if they were nothing though. Sort of moots the point of martial arts if you can't take out someone who's stronger/bigger than you.

Saw the sequel two weeks ago. Overall the movie was executed quite well, and the fight scenes between Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung was top notch. Sammo has my respect for his martial arts skills, given that he's not the fittest person in the world and that he's almost 60 years old.

Still, I am getting tired of the "we have to redeem our Chinese dignity by beating the crap out of Westerners/Japanese" plot. You can tell this movie was made for the mainland Chinese market as all these elements are meant to feed the Chinese ego.

I like the action, but story could be better. The first Ip Man had a much better balance between action and story telling.

I find it hard to believe that the Typhoon is so buff that he can take all of Ip Man's hits as if they were nothing though. Sort of moots the point of martial arts if you can't take out someone who's stronger/bigger than you.

hm,I wouldnt say that all of his hits were ineffective,he just wasnt hitting him in the right parts to start with,twisters hits were more damaging directly not to mention it was his first time agianst the western boxing style,once he got in close tho Ip brang the thunder. Also its how they portray westerners in these type of films lol,Ip man isnt the first time.

The action was definitely good, but I couldn't help getting flashbacks to Rocky IV with the whole evil Russian boxer thing going. Except this one's English, lol. Overall a little too cheesy when it tried to be dramatic but that's not what you watch it for anyway. :p

Completed watching "Ip Man 2" and I agree the overall story was simplistic but I solidly enjoyed the film. Sammo's portrayal of renowned Hung Ga master Hung Chun-nam had the best development and despite his gruff exterior, Hung proved his impressive dedication to protecting the Chinese wushu spirit and cultural honor. Yes this was done at the cost of vilifying the Japanese and British, but it is not the first if we recall Jet Li's classic portrayal of Wong Fei Hung in the 1990s "Once Upon A Time in China" film.

One thing Ip Man 2 did not skimp on was the solid showcasing of the Hung Ga and Wing Chun styles. Donnie's fights with Sammo were awesome! My only concern in the film was the overuse of wirework in martial art choreography. For exaggeration and dramatic affect limited wirework helps enhance but overuse made certain fights comical.

As for surprises during the climatic battle between Ip and Twister, I was definitely surprised he used relatively high kicks considering Wing Chun traditionally strongly emphasizes lower placed kicks. Those low kicks to the legs and knees are absolutely devastating and pack explosive power arguably moreso than the palm knives. Nevertheless it was a sheer delight to see Ip ultimately combine his Wing Chun with Master Hung's Hung Ga during the climatic battle; sharp eyes will notice the classic Tiger Crane paired fists, Double Bow fists, and others.

For martial arts fan IP MAN 2 is a must see film.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Also Donnie has already confirmed he will not do a IP MAN 3.

I saw a news saying Ip Man 3 will start filming at the end of the year. The news didn't say Donnie will not be in it, neither does it says he will be in it.

I just hope 3 won't fail Ip Man.

Btw a Bruce Lee film is "under discussion" as well.

Watched Ip Man 2 this weekend. The first act was solid. I particularly enjoyed the sparring session between Hung Chun-nam and Ip Man; huge fun.

I thought this film would be more about Ip Man setting up his school, dealing with rival masters and finding suitable disciples. The whole twister piece felt out of place. I can't believe he (twister) actually won a fight either!

I think first film was better but I still enjoyed this one.

I saw a news saying Ip Man 3 will start filming at the end of the year. The news didn't say Donnie will not be in it, neither does it says he will be in it.

I just hope 3 won't fail Ip Man.

Btw a Bruce Lee film is "under discussion" as well.

They're milking the franchise dry, just like the Wong Fei Hong series......which should have stopped at the second movie. A Bruce Lee movie would be really great, but at the same time, it's so easy to screw up. I thought that movie Dragon wasn't too bad, but it would be interesting to see it from an HK point of view.

The whole twister piece felt out of place. I can't believe he (twister) actually won a fight either!

Like I said earlier, villifying Westerners/Japanese has become a standard part of martial arts films these days (from The Legend to True Legend earlier this year to the first Yip Man. It's meant to cater to the mainland Chinese market. Hong Kong film makers are not really into this, but then who cares about the HK market these days? If you find it awkward in Yip Man 2, it's even more so in True Legend

They're milking the franchise dry, just like the Wong Fei Hong series......

That's right! Which for-profit company wouldn't anyway?

1) A Yip Man prequel is coming out in a few weeks

2) Another Yip Man film directed by Wong Kar Wai is also in the making

I wouldn't be surprised if they make many more.

• 4 weeks later...

He confirmed he would not do it in Chinese press releases.

The reason I can think of Donnie not accepting Ip Man's role in its 2nd sequel is that the script sux. Which means bad news to us.

Hope that the script doesn't sux and Donnie take back his words.

I saw IP MAN 2 a few nights ago. I didn't realise there was a first one, don't ask me how that all happened!

Anyway, Sammo Hung was much, much better than I expected. Some of the fights were comical, others less so.

In terms of the martial arts, it's difficult for me to comment, having done Karate for many, many years. Wing Chun is something I would love to try, but I think it really leverages on very quick muscle movements, which is not a strength for me. There was lots of wire work in this movie, and the battle on the tabletop was kind of ridiculous, but fun - so I can't really give a serious analysis on the martial arts. However, Ip Man's humility - like all great martial artists - was good to see. In the end though, it was fun movie and I reccommend it. Now to hunt down the first one!

So i saw Ip Man 2 last week and in short i found the first movie to be much better. Without spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, I'll comment. Why was Simon Yam in this movie? He served no purpose what so ever, unlike the last movie where he was pivotal to the plot. Anyone else feel the Rocky IV vibe from about 1/2 though on. And i can't really take some boxer as a serious contender against Ip Man after he handed 10 guys their asses in the first movie and consistently beats martial arts masters who have studied it all their lives.

But I do really hate they overdo the racism in the 2nd movie.

It's pretty typical for Chinese films that take place during the British Empire era. To be fair, the Brits did treat the Chinese pretty badly.