How far would you go for some Macross lovin'?

Tochiro

Well, my previous post seems to have gone somewhat off topic, albeit into some pretty interesting debate, so rather than derail it I thought I'd pose this question in a new thread.

So what I'm interested in hearing is: What is the furthest length you've gone to to get something Macross-related?

I've seen some pretty impressive toy collections and autographed stuff from the fans here, so whether you gave up your first born child for that super rare crystal valkyrie or flew halfway around the world to attend a signing - how far have you gone to get some Macross lovin'?

I've moved to Japan and learned Japanese.

Oh comeon, start small and THEN work your way up. <_<

Besides, if thats the sort of pissing contest you want to make this then I guarantee Ive got you beat B))

But lets keep this to strictly Macross stuff, ok?

In which case Id say waiting an entire year (and going to the local anime shop 'The Cartoon Gallery' every week for that year) for the final ep of Macross Plus counts. (damn licensing court battles...grumble).

Hmm.... paying almost 5000yen for a big Mylene poster?

Importing 6000yen Macross 7 VHS tapes?

Buying all of Frontier on Blu Ray?

Getting Mac Zero on blu for free? :lol:

Nothing too impressive there.... comeon guys, put your geek qualifications on the table!

Oh comeon, start small and THEN work your way up. <_<

Besides, if thats the sort of pissing contest you want to make this then I guarantee Ive got you beat B))

Erm... I was just answering the questions "How far would you go for some Macross lovin'?" and "What is the furthest length you've gone to to get something Macross-related?" to the best of my understanding. Now that you've added examples of what you're looking for...

Paying ï¿¥10,000 for the Gold Book? (Not to mention the waiting and searching for it over a handful of years...)

Buying all of the MF CDs and CD singles up to and including the Vocal Collection (despite a good 1/3 to 1/2 being recycled content. Grrr...)

I think I waited about two years for the Macross Zero DVDs to show up in the used section at SofMap.

Waiting 4 years and then spending more than $300 CAD to mail the small collection of Macross books from storage in Canada to my home in Japan?

Waiting 15+ years to a) find copies and b) have the money to get all three of the This is Animation SDF:M books.

I can't say I've gone too far... I only got into Macross about a few years ago at best, but it has become one of my biggest interest. I only have one Yamato Valkyrie, a Bandai VF-25 model. Anything I bought (media-wise, the Valks came from Japan/Hong Kong) was available in America, and people know as I've said, I downloaded a few things.

Guess I certainly can't compete with the real hardcore fans then. I haven't gone too far out of my way. Like I said though, I wasn't that hugely into Macross about 3 years ago, I sort of just jumped into it head first. Maybe if I was a longer time fan I would have gone out of my way and actually bought more of everything. Who knows?

Edited by Master Dex

I built an a secret underground temperature controlled warehouse out in the middle of the desert so I could store all my valkyries which I import by the container directly from yamato, the owner of which is an old high school friend of mine who sends me free toys because I saved his life by donating a kidney.

Hm, well I searched for over 16 years for just one of the DYRL cels I have of Minmay from the climax. When I finally got it the search was definitely well worth the effort! :)

Also I was among the early group of people who petitioned AnimEigo to get the licensing for the Macross TV series. Then when AnimEigo finally got it, I told everyone I knew who remotely liked anime and bought a few sets as well. Back then for the early buyers we paid a hefty pricetag, however, it was well worth the wait and efforts to finally get this classic on dvd! I know thanks to the strong efforts the dedicated fans made to petition AnimEigo we helped bring Macross to North America on dvd much sooner than later. :D

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I built an a secret underground temperature controlled warehouse out in the middle of the desert so I could store all my valkyries which I import by the container directly from yamato, the owner of which is an old high school friend of mine who sends me free toys because I saved his life by donating a kidney.

I feel like this is a Jeopardy answer waiting for someone to guess the right person... I'll continue it for the fun of the obscure reference...

I made mountains of wealth on Italian marble which I also store in massive climate controlled warehouses located throughout Southern California. I used my incredible profits to help orchestrate an investment plan in partnership with Yamato that involves said shipments of Yamato toys directly to my warehouses which is why I can not take pictures of them... they are in shipping containers in my warehouse.

Truthfully though, I flew to Japan and spent two weeks traveling the country. I wouldn't say that was all because of Macross though... it was a wonderful vacation though.

Edited by jenius

How far would I go for some Macross lovin'?

I turn on my computer. Get on the internet. Look up the relevant bittorrents. Then I click download.

A very expensive and tiring enterprise, being a Macross fan.

Taksraven

I'll avoid the Pythonesque-elation of How Far I Didn't Go and start small, as requested by Tochiro.

I'd drive with the windows down singing 'Totsugeki Love Heart' far too loudly in a country that thinks Kylie Minogue is an artistic genius.

That I can respect. Mostly because I really love Fukuyama music more than it being a Macross thing. Though sometimes with this music I really wonder if there is something to this song energy thing, lol.

That I can respect. Mostly because I really love Fukuyama music more than it being a Macross thing. Though sometimes with this music I really wonder if there is something to this song energy thing, lol.

I made it up to episode 7 of Macross 7. (7/7, there's one for you to ponder, Tochiro!). Admittedly, I think that's all I ever had on vhs/vcd, but it really didn't grab me. I could get the rest and just don't feel the need to. The same applied to Robotech, actually -- that was always secondary to Transformers to me of a Saturday morning (hey, I was young!). In fact, no Macross series other than the original (which I've only recently marathoned) has demanded my viewing as a compelling experience. And this is okay, because it's aaaaall about the music. I mean, it's great in context, but it's definitely good enough to stand on its own.

Okay, next step for how far I've gone for Macross Lovin'...

Endured the English dub of Macross II multiple times and never once fast-forwarded/skipped the intro because 'Hush of two Million Years' is awesome.

I feel like this is a Jeopardy answer waiting for someone to guess the right person... I'll continue it for the fun of the obscure reference...

I made mountains of wealth on Italian marble which I also store in massive climate controlled warehouses located throughout Southern California. I used my incredible profits to help orchestrate an investment plan in partnership with Yamato that involves said shipments of Yamato toys directly to my warehouses which is why I can not take pictures of them... they are in shipping containers in my warehouse.

Wasn't there something about piloting helicopters too?

When I was 12, I would routinely walk at least 2 or 3 miles to my local model shop for Macross goods. Er, that's far, isn't it?

Who is LOARD KUNGFU Alex? aka mister $100k worth of yamato valks. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna do it like they do in North Korea,

I'll just kidnap all the production staff and voice over actors. Then force them to make more Macross.

I think you meant to say "Robotech", Roy.

Taksraven

I stood in line for 2 1/2 hours from 8am in the morning to get into TAF to watch the live presentation of Macross Frontier to the public and for May'n & Megumi N.'s very first live performance of Frontier songs.

The strange thing about being in the line was that as the morning wore on, the colder it got. So much so that it was just as well we all got in the time we did as it was positively getting frosty towards the end of the 2 hours as the chilly winds suddenly picked. Think 15 C degrees drop in 30 minutes on a morning which was only 18 C to start with and it showed no sign of stopping by the time I got in. I was pretty sure people would have ended up dropping if the line didn't start moving when it did.

Refinanced my house to buy 2300 worth of Bandai and Yamato Valkyries: 1/60 Yamato YF-19, YF-19 Fold set, YF-21, VF-22S Gamlin, VF-1S, VF-11B, Bandai 1/60 VF-25F, Tamashii Super Sets both versions, VF-25S Armored, VF-25G, RVF-25, Galia IV set and Ghost Weapon Set. Theyll go good with my old 1/48 Yamato sets and the Macross Zero Valkyries I got, it also lowered my intrest rate and allowed me to buy a gas piston upper and suppressor for my AR, by the way could you guys help mme get an excuse to explain it to my family... kinda didnt tell em. Imported all the games since the PS One titles, Own all the Blur ray releases so far. Getting a Macross tatoo this year too just gotta decide where I want it. The AR is my Macross collection insurance policy.

Refinanced my house to buy 2300 worth of Bandai and Yamato Valkyries: 1/60 Yamato YF-19, YF-19 Fold set, YF-21, VF-22S Gamlin, VF-1S, VF-11B, Bandai 1/60 VF-25F, Tamashii Super Sets both versions, VF-25S Armored, VF-25G, RVF-25, Galia IV set and Ghost Weapon Set. Theyll go good with my old 1/48 Yamato sets and the Macross Zero Valkyries I got, it also lowered my intrest rate and allowed me to buy a gas piston upper and suppressor for my AR, by the way could you guys help mme get an excuse to explain it to my family... kinda didnt tell em. Imported all the games since the PS One titles, Own all the Blur ray releases so far. Getting a Macross tatoo this year too just gotta decide where I want it. The AR is my Macross collection insurance policy.

Tell them it's an investment, remind them how much the original Star Wars toys are worth at one time. Then quickly change the subject before the subject of the pre-equals screwed that up. Your AR, short barreled?

Back to the swinging contest: I got the 15th Anniv. SDFM series in LD format back when I couldn't afford it. So much so that I didn't end up getting an LD player till a few years later.

Tell them it's an investment, remind them how much the original Star Wars toys are worth at one time. Then quickly change the subject before the subject of the pre-equals screwed that up. Your AR, short barreled?

Back to the swinging contest: I got the 15th Anniv. SDFM series in LD format back when I couldn't afford it. So much so that I didn't end up getting an LD player till a few years later.

Yep 11.5" SBR registered with BATFE just waiting on the stamp to return so i can pic them up :)

Wow LD I have never even seen a LD.

Edited by Sorata

And the next, final step of my Macross Lovin' dedication:

I flew to Japan from Australia for a few days, so that I could go to the Macross-Frontier related Yoko Kanno concert with Tochiro in Saitama, and then registered on this forum to write a review for the benefit of those who couldn't get there.

Sure, it was expensive, but I don't collect the toys...oh, sorry, models, which would certainly add up. I'll take a once-in-a-lifetime experience over material possessions anyday. That's just where I am in life now -- although I've never really been a collector, I'll forego all sorts of neat little goodies to add memories and stories to my life. Toys break, books get read, new models come out all the time. That's something that needs to be perpetuated, funded as such. I'd like to believe anyone who is willing to put in, say, 1000 US for Macross models/collectibles would trade that for the chance to attend a one-off concert instead.

And the next, final step of my Macross Lovin' dedication:

I flew to Japan from Australia for a few days, so that I could go to the Macross-Frontier related Yoko Kanno concert with Tochiro in Saitama, and then registered on this forum to write a review for the benefit of those who couldn't get there.

Sure, it was expensive, but I don't collect the toys...oh, sorry, models, which would certainly add up. I'll take a once-in-a-lifetime experience over material possessions anyday. That's just where I am in life now -- although I've never really been a collector, I'll forego all sorts of neat little goodies to add memories and stories to my life. Toys break, books get read, new models come out all the time. That's something that needs to be perpetuated, funded as such. I'd like to believe anyone who is willing to put in, say, 1000 US for Macross models/collectibles would trade that for the chance to attend a one-off concert instead.

I did the same thing (except from the U.S., not from Australia), but I can't really count it as a pure Macross expense, since the trip was also a whirlwind of shopping and visiting with friends (some old, some new) as well.

But man...that concert was something, wasn't it? ^_^

I did the same thing (except from the U.S., not from Australia), but I can't really count it as a pure Macross expense, since the trip was also a whirlwind of shopping and visiting with friends (some old, some new) as well.

But man...that concert was something, wasn't it? ^_^

Once-in-a-lifetime isn't a term I use lightly for events. A year ago I went to the world's biggest heavy metal* festival in Germany (way, way more money than Kanno-trip), and not even that was once-in-a-lifetime: I'll probably go back another year if the line-up calls me. This was different. You had singers who will likely never assemble again, the Warsaw Philharmonic -- but most importantly, you had the Woman herself calling the shots for 3 hours straight. Virtually no MC filler, and everything was specially-made for the night. Once-in-a-lifetime.

I'll be honest: I wouldn't have done it for a raw Mac F/Macross 7 concert. The Kanno aspect was on a sort of unwritten checklist for me -- started with say, meeting Uematsu at a performance, then other anime/vgm composers. Kanno, to me, is the pinnacle of both. I've honestly no idea what will top that concert for me. Someone-I-keep-mentioning-here found a *spectacular* bootleg recording of the concert (we're talking quality almost up to par of an official release) that I can't stop listening to. And as he and I have both agreed, if there were a legit release of Tanabata Super-Sonic, 1) it'd be three discs of sheer Kanno love (and 3-cd live albums are rare enough as it is, never mind the nightmares of licensing) and 2) we'd pay a heck of a lot.

But I have another justification for enjoying the bootleg of the concert: for me, it was too much to take in just once. I didn't even *hear* the brief Kiseki no Umi segment, and that final orchestral medley really, really deserves multiple listenings. While Tochiro is right to feel indignant that someone dared make a pirate recording, at least they're not selling it -- and since there's no plan to release an official, it's technically not biting into anyone else's pie. So ultimately, I am thankful someone did it and did it so well.

(*my music tastes are as varied as the post mp3-age allows. I'd like to believe everyone's got their crazy spectrum of listening-goodness. :) )

• 4 weeks later...
Actually, it was the VF-1J holding the Minmay doll up to the microphone that set off the Loony Alarm. ^_^

That was the next item i was going to mention.

I just wonder why that Regult was just walking around in the back or why the one guy pick to dress as a VF-1s in gerwalk mode. He had to be uncomfortable.

EDIT:

What if Minmay's voice actually sounded like that when she sang?

Sweet and cute one second then goes to sing and its ultra deep and off tone.

*shutters* :wacko:

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Or you can buy a bootleg. which I'm currently debating on doing.

I tried bootlegs years ago, but it was kind of a mixed bag for me. They were comparatively cheaper but with questionable video quality, and bad translations. Don't know of things have improved since then, so far some U.S. TV show bootlegs I have turned out okay. Anime might be more complicated.

Also, I'm leaning towards a PS3 these days.

I tried bootlegs years ago, but it was kind of a mixed bag for me. They were comparatively cheaper but with questionable video quality, and bad translations. Don't know of things have improved since then, so far some U.S. TV show bootlegs I have turned out okay. Anime might be more complicated.

Also, I'm leaning towards a PS3 these days.

I'd buy a ps3 but I don't know Japanese and there are not too many movies worth paying 10-220 usd more on blu ray.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave