1/55 scale bandi toys old and new

VF-19 pilot!!!

Yamatos certainly aren't fragile, but you definitely have to be more careful when handling them during transformation, unlike the 1/55s which I can flip around from one mode to another blindfolded. I shudder everytime I read about some unfortunate owner whose Yammie snapped somewhere, accidentally or otherwise.

True 1/55's are the king of durability with a complex yet fairly intuitive transformation and I don't think anyone would ever dispute that. Hmmmm Never done a transformation with my eyes closed, I should practice that once with a 1/48 and a 1/55 and time my self :lol:;)

VF-19 Pilot!!!, I understand what you're saying.

How do you guys play with your toys? Hold them up and go "whoooosh whooooosh?"

How does that translate into foreplay prowess?

Were your wives and girlfriends impressed when you first got their attention by standing in front of them, takatoku in hand, and commencing some kind of mating dance involving many "whoosh"s and "ratta-tatta"s?

And what's with all this "vintage rools, re-issues drool!" talk? I thought the draw of the chunky monkey was that it was Classic, not Old.... there's a difference! there are plenty of old valks not worth re-issuance. All the design elements of the old Takatokus are in the new Ban-Dais. WTF!?!? I have some G1 Transformers and re-issues of the same, and you're right, they don't quite feel the same. One is fresh and new. Oils still on the plastic, no chips in the paint, joints are ULTRA-TIGHT! fresh rubbery smell abounds.... and the other one is old, aka it was more expensive.

Edited by DrClay

Both my wife and I play with my bandai reissues. I wouldn't with a yammie 1/60 since it wouldn't last an hour of serious dogfighting. The chunky monkeys rule. My wife's fav is my milla reissue and my favorite is the max. :lol::lol:

I was lucky enough to find a woman who loves anime and toys. she just don't like the price tag.

THe only toy better than a chunky monkey is a Joke Machine. HMMM that's also made by bandai isn't it. Guess bandai and takatoku just make great toys. B))

VF-19 Pilot!!!, I understand what you're saying.

How do you guys play with your toys? Hold them up and go "whoooosh whooooosh?"

How does that translate into foreplay prowess?

Were your wives and girlfriends impressed when you first got their attention by standing in front of them, takatoku in hand, and commencing some kind of mating dance involving many "whoosh"s and "ratta-tatta"s?

Actually, yes I do hold up my valks and go "woooosh wooosh". I also go " vriiiiiii-shooooom!" and "bratatatatatat!". And slow motion while I transform it "va-shin choo!" :D Seriously!!!

Uh foreplay prowess.... I'm imaginative and can make funny noises? :lol:

Seriously, grown ups who can play with toys because they don't have strong schemas are generally more mentally healthy and can enjoy more things than less open minded people. :)

And in fact my fiancée finds it really cute when I run around our home playing with my valks. I even got her into Macross, and she bought herself an Elintseeker and plays with it too!

We don't commence mating dances with the valks, but I've heard of weirder things! :lol: Like this topic!

If you don't understand why we buy them and play with them, then you will never understand. ;)

You can always try picking up girls by saying "check out the size of my nosecone, baby!" or "I'll show you, I'm no micro-human!" :lol::lol:

Its scary to know that you're a kindegarden teacher. :lol::lol::lol::p

It's a requirement to be this way if you are a Kindergarten Teacher :blink: Being able to play with toys and make kids laugh...priceless! I did bring in a 1:55 to my class and it sits on the piano in Gerwalk mode. It's my teaching Valk of wrath! Protects the kids too from all the darn bees that fly in. Well at least that is what I told them. :rolleyes:

Rob

Its scary to know that you're a kindegarden teacher. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :p

It's a requirement to be this way if you are a Kindergarten Teacher :blink: Being able to play with toys and make kids laugh...priceless! I did bring in a 1:55 to my class and it sits on the piano in Gerwalk mode. It's my teaching Valk of wrath! Protects the kids too from all the darn bees that fly in. Well at least that is what I told them. :rolleyes:

Rob

And they don't take it down to play with? I'm surprised.

People must undertstand that this is a forum and its to get to know one another and to share ideas, or solution(EXCELLENT) No one should come charging down on others cos "HE PLAY WITH TOYS" Just because you dont do it dont mean that it should no be done.

NOW!!! what wrong with playing with toy or valkyrie. If we spend money to JUST DISPLAY THEM we might just download photos from the internet and then frame it up and hang on the wall. :( or frame up the money!!!! :lol::lol::lol: I still take my bandai and yamato out and PLAY with it once in a while and my girlfriend have no problem with it.

I like em' cuz they are tuff and make those CLICKING sounds :lol:

My collection:

- 1 VF-1J Max

- 1 VF-1J Milia

- 2 VF-1S (Super/FP) Hikaru Ichijo

- 1 VF-1A CF

- 1 VF-1A Hikaru

- 1 VF-1S Focker

- 1 VF-1J Hikaru

and I would buy more if Bandai made more <_<

Wish Bandai will reissue the Hikaru Strike! :rolleyes:

wow,

what a place to take a stand! on wether or not you play with your toys!? :huh:

look guys play with them if you want that's cool! I can see that you are very passionate about it and that i can always respect....i just didn't think grown people really did that kinda thing :blink:

i am a collector but i just can see myself playing with them...i like them because of there design and inginuity....to me they are more like works of art than toys so i treat them as such...

similarly, when i have women over they are impressed with the the manner and delicate way in which i display my pieces... as well as showing passion for something... i don't however take them out and play with her! that is just silly... :blink: i guess it has to do with the level of sophistication as a collector ;)

anyway my goal here is accomplshed, i wanted to start a little contraversy and clearly got it...but i do have alot of respect for you guys who collect , play and all... and hopefully you don't take my comments too seriously...

i hope that some of you with the old valks may post some pics of your collections ...i may just get a better appreciation of them

Edited by VF-19 pilot!!!

I love my 1/55 reissues (as well as my Yamatos) and my Jetfire. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems that the quality is actually better in my 20-year old (Bandai) Jetfire than the Bandai reissues...

Anyway, I think playability (is that a word?) is important, and the 1/55s have that perfected.

BTW, this may be OT, but does anyone ever think of that old Beastie Boys song "Brass Monkey" when they read "chunky monkey"? Brass Monkey, that chunky monkey... :)

...i like them because of there design and inginuity....to me they are more like works of art than toys so i treat them as such...

similarly, when i have women over they are impressed with the the manner and delicate way in which i display my pieces... as well as showing passion for something... i don't however take them out and play with her! that is just silly... :blink: i guess it has to do with the level of sophistication as a collector ;)

EXACTLY! works of art! delicate mannerism, passion, and sophistication! Everyone here seems to be unable to differenciate between "playing" and "collecting" or "old" and "classic." Yamatos walk a thin line between toy and model... they are much more durable than you toy people give them credit for, and they are much more accurate and ingeniously designed than the model people give them credit for....

Taka/ban dai are the pinacle of toy design from the eighties. a little museum piece. I admire them all day long, take them off the shelf and carry them around and look at all the little details, but hold the up and imagine that they are flying? adults find this fun? seriously? I'm not saying that I leave them in a box or store them in a closet or never touch them on a shelf... a framed picture of a toy valk will NOT do! but "whooshing" and pretending that they are flying when I'm all alone? how would that stimulate my mind? to all you people who say that those of us who don't play with our toys are wasting our money, I say it is YOU who are wasting money... you don't need a ludicrously expensive vintage takatoku in your hand to imagine a valk flying! You could just watch the show! or look at a picture! or say "whooooooosh!" or if your imagination is so great pretend you've got Takatoku in hand and you are pretending that it is flying! SERIOUSLY!?!?! how is THAT fun? You are really amused at rattattatta and so on? :rolleyes: whatever.

I collect them , I open their boxes , I play with them , I do transform toys, I display it, I put them in their box again, I put their stickers on, I clean it...

I PLAY WITH MY TOYS AND I`M 25 YEARS OLD ... SO WHAT ?

DRClay

i completely agree with you , i just can't see how an adult can be stimulated by that kind of silly display...but i have made my peace with it

and so their are those who play...... :blink:

however, there should be a progression on how we view things as we mature right? even toys

in my opinion bandi and the old valks are for those who what to play and they are correct ...they are just toys

Yamato on the other hand is for the more mature and sophisticated collector...

that is all :D

...in my opinion bandi and the old valks are for those who what to play and they are correct ...they are just toys

Yamato on the other hand is for the more mature and sophisticated collector...

that is all :D

I guess this means I'm a sophisticated collector who also knows how to have "fun", since I own both 1/48s and 1/55s. :p

Edited by mechatek

Every Valkyrie's beautiful, in its own way.

Why not buy a 'Taka/Bandai Valkyrie? They take a licking and keep on clicking, which is more than you or I or anyone will ever be able to say for the new guys on the block. And besides, they DO NOT look that bad, considering the design was made right around the time Christ was born.....

I wouldn't spend anything more than Yamato 1/48 prices on an "old" design, but anything less than that (reissues) I consider to be a steal...

Edited by myk

• 5 weeks later...

Vintage Takatoku and Bandai valkyries have already established a reputation in macross history. They have been collected by people all over the world. Some of us grew up with the Robotech series and played with the valkyries. This leaves a feeling inside of you that can always be remembered when you pick up a vintage valkyrie today!

I have many friends who collect new reissues and yamato releases. The'yre beautifuly detailed and transform great, but they still give me props for my vintage collection. Toy makers knew they could make tons of money due to the popularity of these 1/55's thats why they decided to provide us with remakes.

I still cherish my vintage valkyries more than ever. I give recognition to the new remake valkyries but, they aren't the original macross valkyries we all grew up with and played with.

If you have the money and want to spend it, why not? If you want to play with it, why not? Just don't sell your self short of aything you truly desired.

Gee, so the VF-19 Pilot dude wanted to start a little controversy. While I am not quite sure WHY he wanted to do that, and what possible good can come out of making some people's blood boil, he sure accomplished what he was set on doing. Oh well, to everybody their little schticks. I'm heavily into salsa dancing. Surprised, huh?

As for "playing" with my valks (a few 1/60 Yammies), I don't really play with them. The only thing I do is transform them once in a while, get them in a nice pose and let it sit there until I transform it again. I just love the aesthetic of the Yammies, and their engineering is very impressive.

As for Bandais, well, their articulation is woefully limited especially compared to all the new Macross toys that come out now, but their nostalgia factor is undeniable. But they're rock solid. Reason I got rid of them is because of college. College is expensive, especially in my department but it must be said I was growing bored of them because of their limited articulation.

While a good debate is always welcome on the boards, I am against the fact that someone deliberately want to spark controversy to stir up some action. I can see that VF-19 Pilot doesn't want his comments to be taken too seriously, but there are more sensible ways to get your point across. And ways to state your opinion without insinuating anything. "level of sophistication as a collector"? Yes, you may be right, but the way it was written, it was a badly disguised diss for many ppl on this board.

Though it may have not been his intention to diss, the effect is still there.

I could ramble on, but I don't want to add any more fuel to the fire. MW users shouldn't diss themselves for any reasons, that's just low. Let's keep it civilized ppl...

VF-19Pilot.. seriously, what did you expect here?

the old tactic of saying something insulting and following it up by saying your just jokeing around is kind of old and transparent. It's pretty clear you just started this thread to insult people who feel diffrently than you then hide behind the guise of "not taking it seriously" when people try to defend themselfs. what ever.

Personally i feel anything that comes pre-boxed and "ready to play" IS a toy, no matter how pretty it is. the 1/48's definately had collectors in mind, but any kid over 9 could easly play with it and not have it fall apart. I happen to like both the 1/48s and 1/55 and especially the tiny little banpresto guys (dunno the scale) and i dont' feel the need to put anyone down for their prefrence in valkyrie toys, there're bigger fish to fry.

if you're talking about art then think of this: the chunky could arguably be a more stylized version of the valk, the fact that construction techneques of its time we're less advanced meant the designers of the bandai valk had less to work with and had to be MORE creative to get it to work at all. the 1/48's were probably ironed out on the computer and had more to do with matching existing line art than creating something that was previously NEVER seen before (ie: a valk that turns from robot to jet to gerwalk)

as for your comment about "the laddies" i'll just let that one go and for the record, i'd never go out with a girl that didn't enjoy my collections. my girl happens to dig the little gundam figures.

anyway.. my $.02

Nuts to maturity

I'm sittung here in my underwear at two in the morning reading about a twenty year old cartoon when I should be asleep or studying. Maturity has long flown the coop with me :lol:

And darn right the ladies like it when you play with the toys.

Imagine this...

:::Flying valk around room:::

Comely young lass: Hmmm... You handle that pretty good.

Me: Yep

Fine foxy lady: So you like to play do you?

Me: Oh Yeah :::Zooming noises:::

Hottie: :::Giggle::: Can I play too?

Me: Sure.

Sausy young thing: Ok lets play with... These!!!

Me: You're on lady.

And the rest is slightly embelished history :D

I'm going to bed.

Don't tell me you have never heard of the favorite MW game 'hide the nosecone?'  :p

:huh:

I can just see the whiteboards at Yamato - the new Max Jenius VF-1S. With vibrating kung fu action. Coming fall 2004. :D

(BTW, thanks a lot - I'll never look at my toys in the same light again).

Heck, why do you think Kawamori designed the SV-51 with those little spines around the nose cone!

'Ribbed for her pleasure' :pB))

One way or another, I bet the SV-51 toys are going to be played with a lot. :D

Graham

Don't tell me you have never heard of the favorite MW game 'hide the nosecone?'  :p

:huh:

I can just see the whiteboards at Yamato - the new Max Jenius VF-1S. With vibrating kung fu action. Coming fall 2004. :D

(BTW, thanks a lot - I'll never look at my toys in the same light again).

Heck, why do you think Kawamori designed the SV-51 with those little spines around the nose cone!

'Ribbed for her pleasure' :pB))

One way or another, I bet the SV-51 toys are going to be played with a lot. :D

Graham

Dude.... Stop this..!

Anyway, personally, I prefer the 1/55s to the Yamatos. I like the clicking ratcheted joints and the fact that it's all one-piece and I can transform it with my feet in half a second (in theory).

My VF-1J 1/55 reissue was given to me for Christmas by my girlfriend the very week it came out and you can be sure I played with it for ages after that. It was the first 1/55 I had gotten in years... The 1/60 Yamatos, while they look cool, are not really that much fun at all. You can't even move their arms properly because the chestplate gets in the way. Their heavy legs swing around all over the place, and then just fall off. And don't get me started on the bloody missiles that never stay on.

I am getting my first 1/48 soon, and it better have the same level of lastability and playability as the 1/55s.

There used to be an old thread on the boards called "the 1/48 funny pose thread", which I enjoyed looking at. If one can really have fun with their 1/48 that way, without it disintegrating in your hands, then I'll enjoy it. But I don't want to just put it on a shelf to look at.

FUN comes first. That's what hobbies are all about.

First off... Graham, ew. :p

Second... those who don't understand the love for the 1/55 are just going to have to continue being mystified. They're excellent toys, they're fun to play with, and they're solid as a rock.

Someone asked, "why buy reissues? They're just NEW toys that look OLD?"

Well, that's kinda the point. When Bandai was reissuing the 1/55's, you could buy a NEW, improved toy (better heatshield, printed decals) for under a $100 bucks that was almost identical to those jacked-up price toys on eBay.

With the 1/55, you either love the design for the nostalgia, the heft, or the playability.

If you don't like 'em - then don't buy 'em. Maybe the prices will go down and I can get my SuperO, GBP, and Elint 1/55's without having to sell my kidneys in Tijuana. :D

First off... Graham, ew. :p

Second... those who don't understand the love for the 1/55 are just going to have to continue being mystified. They're excellent toys, they're fun to play with, and they're solid as a rock.

Someone asked, "why buy reissues? They're just NEW toys that look OLD?"

Well, that's kinda the point. When Bandai was reissuing the 1/55's, you could buy a NEW, improved toy (better heatshield, printed decals) for under a $100 bucks that was almost identical to those jacked-up price toys on eBay.

With the 1/55, you either love the design for the nostalgia, the heft, or the playability.

If you don't like 'em - then don't buy 'em. Maybe the prices will go down and I can get my SuperO, GBP, and Elint 1/55's without having to sell my kidneys in Tijuana. :D

Id like to second that EW to Graham,,,,sticky wet toys are a no no, picture the problems with transformation :rolleyes:

CONTRAVERSY (Who remembers that song?)

I play, and am not ashamed whatsoever,,,girls, Ha, lets compare my ol' lady to yours,,,,,bandai's are tough as nails, and yamato takes the beutifull thing to another level. Its all imagination and the stuff dreams are made of

BTW why do you collect, why are you on the forums, to cause trouble and insult? Just curious cause you may have offended some poeple here.

I hate the word 'nostalgia' when it comes to talking about 1/55s. The fact is, for the price, these toys look better and are more playable than the toys being released today. The only ones that could probably surpass these are the 1/48s(at double/triple the cost) or the alternator line/MPC Prime. But compared to other transformable toys today, the 1/55s still has them licked.

I hate the word 'nostalgia' when it comes to talking about 1/55s. The fact is, for the price, these toys look better and are more playable than the toys being released today. The only ones that could probably surpass these are the 1/48s(at double/triple the cost) or the alternator line/MPC Prime. But compared to other transformable toys today, the 1/55s still has them licked.

:)

Man, I'm a total idiot when it comes to playing around with Macross stuff. And it's not just limited to toys, either.... I was moving stuff around the other day, so the big hardwood floor was clear. So, then, I slid a bit on the floor. And, at first, I thought, Dom! but, then, I realized.... GERWALK!!! You guys can imagine where that went...... :lol::lol::lol:

Of course, I do also pick up my 1/48 when going from room to room and "fly it there". Although, I usually don't make noises.

Another one of the similar habits is one I thought only I did, but thar i'm finding out to be common in a lot of performance drivers and, drifters especially. I shift when walking around, and even make car noises! :lol: Completely without realizing that I'm doing it, I may add. Of course, I do another thing common of drift fanatics, I drift shopping carts in the store! :lol::lol:

But, um, on a less funny note, not all of us have girlfriends. :(

But, um, on a less funny note, not all of us have girlfriends. :(

Consider yourself lucky, I'm sure its been said before, but if most of us spent less time trying to get laid and actually working, I think thier would ba quite a few more millionaires

here is something i can't understand

why would anybody buy those old macross valk toys! the other day on e-bay i saw one going for more than a yamato...which is obviously better!

I mean i know they are vintage and all but man do they look like crap!!!!

i mean really people just take a good look at them!!!!

anybody have any thoughts? :huh:

You have SERIOUS damage-control issues, dude...

the old 1/55 line ROCKS. The newer Yamatos may be more aestheically pleasing, but the Bandai/Takatokus have stood the test of time. They are durable, reasonably accurate (they at least LOOK like a Valkyrie) and are a decent compromise of all three modes. The Macross toy collecting world would not be where it is today without these cornerstones of achievement.