JSI 1/18 Scale F-14 Tomcat Announced

officially out on the 12th?? oh yeah! I just found my xmas gift, hope it arrives on time after it's shipped
Special edition is out now, and it's got SPOTS all over it as an attempt at "weathering". Also a light up TCS(!!!?) in RED. VSD/HSDI/radar screens light up in BLUE. Yes BLUE.

Production model ships out in 2 days and bad cat toys has said that it's significantly less spottier. Hopefully.

In any case look to the past. 21st F-86F=NO WEATHERING, yet absolutely beautiful. It's a MIG Alley bird mind you, so if anything would be weathered, that'd be it.

It's enough having an inaccurate VF-84 paint scheme on a late block F-14A that never had it but to have spotty weathering at that? Wow...

So I was browsing my old posts a while back looking for something, and came across this picture from 2004 (forget what I posted it in originally, but the topic is long gone).

Anyway, I'd love to get a closeup of the buno on that plane, and see if it's meant to be the same one...

This one looks very close to the JSI. I'd need to find my original Flying Fighter poster to check, but the only differences I see off hand are the gun vents... doesn't mean there aren't other differences. I imagine the front gear doors are still wrong, unless that sensor bump on the door came along with the others under the wing glove. There's also no way to tell which chin sensor is on this plane either, but I think the single TCS chin pod was in use by this time.

post-907-1260162620_thumb.jpg

Nosegear door bump goes with the "ahead of the glove vane" bump. If one's gone, both are. If one's present, they both are. No glove vane bump on that one, so no nosegear door bump.

Anyways, I'd bet money that's 162702. http://www.almansur.com/jollyrogers/haynesf14atr.jpg

As for me, I consider "gun vents" the most important detail an F-14 model can have, short of being an A/B/D.

Anyways, I'd bet money that's 162702. http://www.almansur.com/jollyrogers/haynesf14atr.jpg

As for me, I consider "gun vents" the most important detail an F-14 model can have, short of being an A/B/D.

Note that the image that David linked for the REAL LIFE VF-84 Tomcat lacks the spots.

Somebody wake me up if they do a D variant.
The one I was pushing for was VF-2 Bounty Hunters w/LANTIRN AND JDAMs. Both the CAG bird and the low viz versions ruled.

Yeah, VF-2 simply rocked during that era. They flew their full-colors CAG bird at low altitude into combat as much as they could, just to be defiant and say "F you" to the opposition. (VFA-105 did the same) Their CAG plane ended up with the highest tally of the squadron. Also, they were the first (and possibly only) squadron to load their TARPS planes with bombs (and they used them). Not much fits when you're carrying a TARPS pod, but they squeezed a few on.

Yeah, VF-2 simply rocked during that era. They flew their full-colors CAG bird at low altitude into combat as much as they could, just to be defiant and say "F you" to the opposition. (VFA-105 did the same) Their CAG plane ended up with the highest tally of the squadron. Also, they were the first (and possibly only) squadron to load their TARPS planes with bombs (and they used them). Not much fits when you're carrying a TARPS pod, but they squeezed a few on.
Plus they are one of the 1st squadrons activated! It would be fitting to see an F-14D, accurate with their color scheme.

Note that the image that David linked for the REAL LIFE VF-84 Tomcat lacks the spots.

The one I was pushing for was VF-2 Bounty Hunters w/LANTIRN AND JDAMs. Both the CAG bird and the low viz versions ruled.

The VF-2 Bounty Hunters schemes would be awesome, I love the VF-84 Jolly Roger scheme, but this one is has really grown on me.

post-6180-1260252442_thumb.jpg

Among early users, VF-32 and VF-124 are among the few that can claim wing stripes...
124 would be GREAT if JSI had tooled up an early model A.

The VF-2 Bounty Hunters schemes would be awesome, I love the VF-84 Jolly Roger scheme, but this one is has really grown on me.
VF-2 has some of the best F-14D paint schemes. Them and VF-101 Grim Reapers. I also like ALL shark mouthed Cats from the test squadrons.

D*****!!!! I didn't see that vid until last night. The spots on that Tomcat are atrocious! Who the hell in JSI's production thought the US Navy decided to adopt WWII Luftwaffe camo schemes? If I would've known the paint job would look... like *THAT*, I'd never buy it. The earlier sample pictures sold me, inaccuracies and all, just to have a huge Tomcat in a Jolly Rogers scheme, but screwed the paint job to hell and back. Those dark grey splotches are AWFUL, just like the old Kotobukiniya Star Wars Sandtroopers' first runs. Like some idiot had a bottle of dark grey paint, dipped cotton balls in it, and started dabbing every panel they could find. That is NOT how weathering is done, especially something that costs as much as this beast does.

I can't go back on it now... the thing is on its way. The best thing I can possibly hope for is that JSI noticed the idiotic paint job and fixed it early on. Hopefully with my Tomcat included. But right now I'm really, really pissed about forking out good money for a piss-poor paint job.

UNSAT

Sorry Warmaker, this is the final production version: http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewtop...0&start=740

Do you follow any of the diecast/model/military sites? The spots on the Tomcat has been the raging issue for the past week or so.

You might want to see the "spot fixing" thread: http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/viewtop...sc&start=80

Now, some retailers have put up a "no returns due to "minor" paint/assembly issues" clause on their website, but I bet you could send it back if it's unopened.

If you want another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrV1qeb8hXA...feature=related

Now, some are saying that the "spottiest" of them all were made into the special edition release, and those are the ones in the videos. But I don't think anyone actually has seen both versions side-by-side to see if there actually is a difference in spots.

I haven't really followed dicast sites, just enough from a while back when news of the JSI tomcat was up and coming to be sold on those preproduction shots. So I was a bit behind on the times. I'm a model builder myself, and went out of my way to get one of these premade Tomcats. Reading around more, some say I'd have to do some repainting, which I'm highly annoyed about. I payed good money for this thing to be prebuilt and prepainted. No problems putting the sections together myself, but the paint leaves something to be desired. And repainting spots for a toy this size and the sheer amount of spots involved angers me just thinking about it. I bought from BadCat, so I'll have to look again on their return policy but I have the gut feeling it will not be to my liking. And shipping this damn thing off won't be cheap either, so I'm in a lose-lose situation.

Looks my 1/32 Tamiya Tomcat reigns supreme on my shelf still.

FYI, a lot of reports of flimsy gear come from those who aren't aware of how the real thing works and locks to the fuselage, and don't lock in all the parts on the model (which JSI did do an amazing job in replicating). If you actually get all the struts extended and locked in place, it'll hold well (just like the real thing requires for a carrier landing). http://www.merit-intl.com/month/vf-84%20landing.htm

PS---skyworks toys is apparently offering repaint services for 50 bucks, and they're even selling already-repainted-ones. They are also working on offering repaints into Black Aces and Vandy One schemes. http://skyworkstoys.com/f14tomcat.html Though they went for the "panel line" look, which I think is over-done.

PPS--cheapest/easiest method so far is apparently using Testor's Model Master 36440 paint, and applying it with a makeup sponge. You get this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maranatha_mod...934377/sizes/l/

• 1 month later...

Well, Iranian would be about the only possible scheme to make it physically more wrong that it is. :p

PS--retool? Not in a million years. They didn't make it right for the COMMANDER OF THE JOLLY ROGERS' plane to start with, and that would have been free to tool the first time. You think they'd exert more effort and money for this scheme?

Well, Iranian would be about the only possible scheme to make it physically more wrong that it is. :p

PS--retool? Not in a million years. They didn't make it right for the COMMANDER OF THE JOLLY ROGERS' plane to start with, and that would have been free to tool the first time. You think they'd exert more effort and money for this scheme?

Hehe no idea man. I do think however, if All Go Toys makes one(which would be cool to see another company's take on the 1/18 Tomcat), I can see them making a much more accurate version.

Deeply disappointed with the Jolly Rogers Tomcat they screwed up with. While the idea of a Persian 'Cat is intriguing, JSI will probably f**k this one up also. If they couldn't get right for the very first 1/18 Tomcat release ever, especially in a famous scheme like the Jolly Rogers, what makes you think they'll get this one right?

I saw this in person at Frank & Sons where a guy had it on display. It's gigantic! The spots actually weren't that bad. For the $200 asking price, not too bad. The size was the main thing keeping me from getting it.lol nowhere to put anything this massive.

I saw this in person at Frank & Sons where a guy had it on display. It's gigantic! The spots actually weren't that bad. For the $200 asking price, not too bad. The size was the main thing keeping me from getting it.lol nowhere to put anything this massive.

The quality control is questionable, I've heard of a LOT of landing gear breakages.

• 1 month later...

Just came across this info from Merit International website.

" Due to shipping delay from Germany, JSI 1/18 Iranian marking F14A did not arrive in time for display at Merit’s Booth at American International Toy Fair. This special sample show what a modeler can do with the F14A. Quite a few up grade has been added,……. Perhaps some of the new customization will be incorporated in the future release."

Pictures of the Iranian marking F14A