JSI 1/18 Scale F-14 Tomcat Announced

Click here! This is likely the same company who was making the VF-154 Black Knights Tomcat for Kawai Toys, but has been very very quiet up until now. This company used to manufacture toys for 21st Century Toys, so they are new only in name, not experience.

I could care less for the inaccuracies, this looks awesome and I will buy it. Note that the color scheme shown is just tentative and not final at all.

Who's Ace?

hahaha... j/k. I never got the Skystriker... wanted it so badly. I love the F-14 because of the movie "The Final Countdown". If only they had a show were it can transform into a robot and the USS Nimitz was on the arm of an even bigger robot... le sigh!

David, that camo looks like the experimental one that I've seen the Jolly Rogers use. I'll see if I can scan a picture from one of my Tomcat books. I'll defer to your expertise though :)

Chris

David, that camo looks like the experimental one that I've seen the Jolly Rogers use.

It's not so much a "Jolly Rogers" camo, but an "early 90's experimental" camo---thus my comment. It's not unique to them, but it is very rare. (I believe VF-1 had a few like that) It's so rare I don't even know the terms or exact dates. But Saratoga and Ranger keep coming to mind.

I think the F-4 became vaporware somehow, seems it was just too impractical to sell or something... but the quality looked good before all news of it disappeared.

*sigh* Why is it that everything I want comes out right after I blow a bunch of money on something else? This thing will be huge, but I know I'll have to get at least one...

At least the Lego Millenium Falcon I just ordered gets smaller when you take it apart. -_-

Are these the same guys who kept claiming they were going to make a 1/18 F-4 phantom as well? If this ever is released im in for one, maybe 2 depending on how good it looks in person.
No. 21st Century Toys announced that they were going to make a 1/18 F-4, right after Admiral Toys announced that they were going to make a 1/18 Phantom also. Both companies announced their plans on the very same day, 21st also said they were going to make 1/32 F-4's. 21st claimed that theirs would be $89.99

As some of you may know, 21st Century Toys then announced a B-24, and MIG-21. None of them went beyond words. 21st Century Toys wasn't performing that well, and just recently clearanced out whatever was left from their warehouses, so in recent months/weeks, you could buy some of their last offerings for dirt cheap.

JSI used to manufacture toys for 21st, but they are not the same company as 21st. JSI was able to obtain some toolings from 21st century and will be releasing some under their banner, the 1st offerings being the Tiger, F4U and P-38, most likely followed by the Tomcat. The difference between the Tomcat and the aforementioned toys is that the Tomcat is all JSI.

This is most likely the same company who will be making the 1/18 scale Black Knights Tomcat for Kawai toys in Japan, and also the same company revealed by Admiral Toys to be working on a F/A-18 and F-15 as well.

So this company is only new in name, not new at all to 1/18 scale. I hope that the quality control and durability is better than 21st Century Toys' releases though.

I think the F-4 became vaporware somehow, seems it was just too impractical to sell or something... but the quality looked good before all news of it disappeared.
Admiral Toys still has their prototype and CAD sheets intact in case they decide to go forth with the Phantom. With 21st out of the way, and BBI most likely not making a 1/18 F-4, I think Admiral will release an F-4 between fall of this year and next, after their Dauntless and Skyraider are released. Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

It was disappointing that the 1/18 f-4 phantom was canceled...but this news about the 1/18 f-14 is awesome!

Hopefully it does come out.. it would be a sweet item to have next to my BBI 1/18 F-16 and F-18!

Definitely planning to buy at least two of them.

And yet, my 1:18 VF-1 non-transforming fighter toy eludes me. :( This is a close second though. :)

That would surely become the holy-grail of Macross merchandise. I want one too...

It should/would be basically the same size as the 1/18 F-16, shouldn't it?

I'd love to see one of those big-honking F-14's in person though....good lord! where in the world would you display it? And you KNOW you just got to get your living-room flight on....TWO HANDED, no less!

BRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWHHHHH!! PEW! PEW! PEW! :p

Edited by reddsun1

Admiral Toys held back on their F-4 after 21st announced theirs. 21st did have retailer backing, primarily from Walmart I believe, for the Phantom to be sold at $89.99, however Walmart pulled out, and a while later 21st wasn't doing very well. As a result of all this, Admiral Toys put their F-4 on the backburner, so I wouldn't say it's cancelled, they have said that they still have the prototype intact and the CAD designs, so it's all a matter of if and when they want to release it. With 21st out of their way and BBI not likely to make a 1/18 scale F-4, I think Admiral Toys will eventually do their F-4. The only retractable landing gear was going to be the nose gear, the rear landing gear were going to be swappable, as they wanted to keep a flush, accurate underside profile, they didn't want the wheel doors bulging out because of the wheels within. They also wanted to retain the fatness of the tires. Admiral Toys seems like more of an accuracy hound than both BBI and 21st.

It should/would be basically the same size as the 1/18 F-16, shouldn't it?

It would actually be a bit smaller. So all of these guys saying "it would be too big!" are exaggerating. We got a 3.5ft TOMCAT coming out. A VF-1 in 1/18 scale is not even big compared to that!

And yet, my 1:18 VF-1 non-transforming fighter toy eludes me. :( This is a close second though. :)

reach for the stars, man. TRANSFORMING, BABY!

It would actually be a bit smaller. So all of these guys saying "it would be too big!" are exaggerating. We got a 3.5ft TOMCAT coming out. A VF-1 in 1/18 scale is not even big compared to that!

ah yes--the VF-1 is just a bit smaller...

VF-1: 46.7 ft [14.23m]

F-16: 48.5 ft [14.8m]

Is there another modern fighter with comparable dimensions, to provide a good frame of reference?

Oh come on, I thought everyone was liking their Valk toys to get SMALLER now, i.e. the new 1/60s :lol:

(1/48 rules still)

I wouldn't mind a non-TF 1/18 VF-1 at all, if it meant having a super-high detailed fighter ver. in such a large scale. Would make an excellent centerpiece of any collection.

edit: certain pieces would still need to be movable of course, like the legs/feet & tail fins--to allow for legs-down VTOL stance, and the addition of Super Armor... B))

Edited by reddsun1

reach for the stars, man. TRANSFORMING, BABY!

I brought that up once before, but everyone went on and on at the impossibility of it without it being this ultra expensive item. I just didn't want to open up that debate again. Frankly, I was thinking non-transforming just so that it wouldn't be outrageously expensive. All those BBi and 21st Century 1:18 aircraft always made me wish for a VF toy just like it with figures as well.

Seeing this F-14 is one step closer to a VF-1, and it makes me wish for it even more.

1/18 scale SU-27 Flanker & F-15 Eagle Under Consideration

Late this year, or early next. This matches up with the F-15 rumor earlier this year. An F/A-18 was rumored at the same time the Eagle was, however this time around, the F-15 and SU-27 are the newest announcements.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0