Will the white plastic of the VF-1 v.2 go yellow evantually?

Omegablue

This most of the time concerns me more than the QC of the shoulders?

I'm sure most of us have suffered it with the v.1 1/60 and on some of the 1/48?

But is the paint and white plastic of the v.2 appearing to last against yellowing?

Likely victims, the VF-1J Hikki.

Unlikely the 1S as I've just seen (And told earlier this week) that the plastic is actually a broken white (Light grey).

Don't know about the 1A both TV and Movie?

Preventions? Well from what I come across is the following.

Do not keep your Valk exposed to an open smoking area. Nicotine sticks and stains.

Avoid sunlight.

Still my 1J 1/48 was kept in the box most of the time, in a dark shelf, and I'm not a smoker. Alas, yellowing got it...

Anyone with tips and info on this delicate topic?

definitely already happened to my 1J,

it just cant be avoided.

weathering is compulsory for all TV valks

(hik 1J AND ALSO max 1A, kakizaki 1A cos they are the same white)

or you can wait till end of year when the GBP armor comes out,

then just cover it with GBP armor :p

it doesnt bother me one bit though...

just need to get around to doing the weathering :D

Discoloration should be the least of your concern than the QC aspect!

Well, in my view, a shoulder piece can always be replaced. But when the whole valk goes yellow, that's pretty expensive in replacing the whole thing. :huh:

Also shouldn't the quality of the plastic's colour also be a QC issue when selected before production?

Why do you spell color as "Colour?"

In Europe, Africa, Australia and NZ, it's written with a 'u'. ;)

I think it's only in the US and Canada that it doesn't?

Dunno why... LOL

I bet it sounds exotic too?! I mean when spoken IRL.

What country are you from?

LOL, only exotic when Irish women say it. :p

From Italy, but living in South Africa now.

1/60 v.2 1j :)

LOL, it almost seems like you're happy about the yellowing. :lol: ... not too many people here would put a smiling smiley after saying their valk is starting to yellow... cool B))

Edited by m0n5t3r

Came across the following on the net.

Whitening toothpaste removes yellowing. (Though I haven't tried it.)

And that if the Valks had a coat of anti-UV, they wouldn't be affected at all.

So now all we have to do, is convince Yamato of coating the Valks with anti-UV.

You think they would do this for their fans?

Well - I don't think any of my Valkyrie are discolored. Heck - none of my ANYTHING are discolored... But maybe I've just got optimistic eye sight? According to Dangaurd Ace, my 1/48 1J is yellowing - but I just think that the 1/48 was never as pearly white as the v.2 1/60 to begin with.

I hope that the face that my whole collection is kept in a dark closet helps? I only turn on the lights in there when I want to either photograph something or take something out for play time...

EDIT: RE: Colour vs. Colour...

That's not the only english word Euros spell different. Theatre, Centre, Programme - there's a whole ton of them. In my writting, I write in American english, but when writing for Europeans I have found myself accomodating their wacko spelling because otherwise they contend that I don't know english - and telling them "I'm an American" doesn't help because then they just think "oh - that explains why you're ignorant and can't spell correctly"

So - whatever :)

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

That's how we spell it in Canada too, also we spell armor as armour too.

Back on topic but isn't there some types of bleaching agents that you can use on plastics? I'm sure it would be a chore to use, but it is a possibility.

I haven't noticed any discoloration/yellowing on my whitish valks either. My 1/48 1J still looks pristinely white after all this time and I don't see any difference between the exposed areas of my other VF-1 valks and the areas that were covered with super parts the whole time. then again, I keep all my mostly white valks in detolf displays and usually don't have sunlight streaming into the room other than what gets through the spaces in the blinds. The extra layer of glass probably helps to further filter out UV. I have my study lit using fluorescent bulbs. I know the bulbs are supposed to absorb the UV light and convert it to visible light, but I don't know how much, if any, UV waves may escape. I doubt it's enough to make any impact though.

I'd say the main thing is to keep your white valks away from direct sunlight, heat sources, and smoke.

Check the fountain of youth thread for ways to whiten your 1J.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

LOL, it almost seems like you're happy about the yellowing. :lol: ... not too many people here would put a smiling smiley after saying their valk is starting to yellow... cool B))

no, of course i dont like it! js trying to stay positive.

no i dont smoke, at all. period.

why anyone smokes is totally beyond my understanding.

but, i live in malaysia which has a tropical climate.

sunlight is plenty.

and i dont have a room which blocks out so much sunlight a vampire could survive in there

and i dont think i'll enjoy keeping my collection in a dark closet

and like junkie said, we all should check out the fountain of youth thread.

yes, a very influential person on these forums (guess who) did cough out about GBP coming at the end of the year,

and that is as good as a confirmation.

If your sig is true Schizo, then why do I find what you have to say so absolutely fascinating? ^_^

I'm not too worried about yellowing right now, granted the only Yammie I own is a 1/48 VF-1J Max and the amount of white on their is proportional to the amount on non-white colors of most valks so there isn't much reason to worry, lol. I do plan to eventually get a v.2 1/60 VF-1S Max so then I can worry about yellowing. However I and no one around me smokes and I tend to keep them in areas that don't get heavy amounts of sunlight anyway.

I was always under the impression that humidity rather than sunlight yellowed plastics. This would explain how a previous poster in this thread had a valk boxed on a dark shelf and it yellowed. I collect sneakers aswell and its the same deal for the rubber and plastic on a lot of old Air Jordans I have. As I`m buying most of my shoes from Japanese sellers and Japan being a very humid country the yellowing on some pairs is a real problem.

I would think that yellowing should be less of a problem in dry, non humid climates. Move to a desert.

If your sig is true Schizo, then why do I find what you have to say so absolutely fascinating? ^_^

I'm not too worried about yellowing right now, granted the only Yammie I own is a 1/48 VF-1J Max and the amount of white on their is proportional to the amount on non-white colors of most valks so there isn't much reason to worry, lol. I do plan to eventually get a v.2 1/60 VF-1S Max so then I can worry about yellowing. However I and no one around me smokes and I tend to keep them in areas that don't get heavy amounts of sunlight anyway.

It fascinates because you're an engineering student laughing at how wrong I was in that last statement?

It fascinates because you're an engineering student laughing at how wrong I was in that last statement?

You may not be wrong. However I am no expert of ABS plastic or yellowing. Also I wasn't laughing, but semantics I suppose.

There is nothing you can do about it. You can use a bleaching method with hydrogen peroxide after the fact, but you'll have the same problem again. You can bleach and then UV protect all the parts individually, but then that's a lot of work and also detracts from value (if you're concerned). - MT

Well, I only noticed the 'Fountain of youth' thread an hour after posting this one. Sorry for missing it.

But after going through it and the links provided, bleaching or the whole H020 process, is only a temporary process, and sometimes even accellerates the yellowing...

Yip, so I guess until Yamato decide to make the parts painting with a anti-UV coating, automatic yellowing cloaking device is here with us all.

As for living in the desert, I live in South Afirca, Joberg to be precise, almost 2km above sea level. And finding humidity here is like finding sun bathers in Alaska. :lol:

ABS yellows. It's a fact of life. Even Legos do. If they do, just do some yellow-removal treatment. Hell, you can prevent it by taking the object apart, anti-uv treating it, and reassembling.

If my sig is true in this case, disregard this whole post.

yes and no. UV light does break down the dyes in plastic causing them to "yellow" but temperature and reactive gas like oxygen can also break down the dyes. There are plenty of stories of people who brought out some old toy out of the closet only to find it had yellowed.

Heck, the dye just might have a short lifespan if it was mixed or formulated poorly to begin with or if the factory decided to save a few bucks and used poor quality materials. There's a lot of variables.

So giving the toy a fresh spray of anti UV coating will probably help, especially if the toy gets a lot of sun but it won't stop the yellowing process.

ABS yellows. It's a fact of life. Even Legos do. If they do, just do some yellow-removal treatment. Hell, you can prevent it by taking the object apart, anti-uv treating it, and reassembling.

If my sig is true in this case, disregard this whole post.

I don't know, did you really eat that much baklava?

Well came across this as well, playing with your toys right after eating something is apparently the big cause to yellowing along with humidity and sunlight. The oils of food spread into the plastic's surface, and in time rot, causing the yellowing. Hence why kids' toys are yellow, even non-white parts.